• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA is reportedly slowing GeForce RTX 4070 production due to low sales

Spyxos

Gold Member
91154_01_nvidia-is-reportedly-slowing-geforce-rtx-4070-production-due-to-low-sales.jpg

Although we've heard wind of price cuts coming to the GeForce RTX 40 Series, new info from China points to NVIDIA simply slowing down production, with the company informing its AICs that supply for the GeForce RTX 4070 will effectively stop for a month.

Stopping supply by a month will minimize the oversupply of the new GPU to allow partners to sell through the current inventory and remaining GeForce RTX 30 Series stock. There are still previous-generation GPUs, so sales have been slow for the RTX 4070. With AMD lowering the price point of its 16GB RDNA 2 cards like the Radeon RX 6950 XT, 6900 Xt, and 6800 XT, massive discounts on these GPUs are hard to resist.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9115...x-4070-production-due-to-low-sales/index.html

Last edited:
PC gamers are so bloody stubborn. (iam a pc gamer)

People are getting caught up so much on the naming scheme. "A 4070/4080 should be $XXX!!! I ain't buying a x70 for $XXX when I've been buying a x80 for the same price! :messenger_pouting:"

Forget about the name. Buy the card that fits your budget and performance goals.

But hey I'm one of the idiots who bought a 4080 so fuck me. It's an amazing card and a huge step up from my 2080 and I'm glad I didn't buy a 3000 card lol :messenger_fearful:

People are getting caught up so much on the naming scheme. "A 4070/4080 should be $XXX!!! I ain't buying a x70 for $XXX when I've been buying a x80 for the same price! :messenger_pouting:"

Forget about the name. Buy the card that fits your budget and performance goals.

But hey I'm one of the idiots who bought a 4080 so fuck me. It's an amazing card and a huge step up from my 2080 and I'm glad I didn't buy a 3000 card lol :messenger_fearful:
It's not just about what one can afford. The value proposition is utterly ridiculous this gen. It's good that the market is finally being somewhat rational and is starting to reject these poor value products.

Hold the line peeps!

Reallink

Cheaper to fire people and set factories idle. Meanwhile 7 months later and at $1600+, many 4090 models are still perpetually sold out, notably the best MSRP cards.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So they would rather not even make and sell them, than to drop the price.

AMD and Intel need to step it up and murder this monopoly.
And in the 4070 class card category......AMD and Intel absolutely should be capable of producing a much better value preposition.
Let Nvidia keep making 4090s and these super enthusiast tier cards......in the "midrange" Intel and AMD should be eating.
Come and feast you dogs, Nvidia is clearly dropping the ball.

kiphalfton

So they would rather not even make and sell them, than to drop the price.

AMD and Intel need to step it up and murder this monopoly.

Yeah.

Get rid of the "cheapo" RTX 4070 line and make people buy the next thing up (i.e. the RTX 4070 Ti for $900 or the RTX 4080 for $1200).

Hell while they're at it just get rid of the RTX 4070 Ti too.

Mr.Phoenix

While this is generally good advice, you know what the problem with this is. Ignoring the ridiculous prices we were paying, just going of MSRP

Say your budget for a GPU is $700. In 2019 you could get a 2080 Super at that price. In 2020 a 3080. In 2023, that gets you a 4070. Barely. So next year it gets you what? A 5060?

Raphael

The price is fine, the performance should have been better - 3080ti levels and it should have had 16gb vram. It would have been flying off the shelfs.

But nope, NV keeps being a greedy bastard.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is more of symptom of the softening economy that NVidia's vice grip on GPU's. Doubt this will change pricing much.

adamosmaki

Well looking various online shops here in EU like mindfactory.de almost all rtx 4070s models are available and their prices saw a small decrease since launch which is a first for a major GPU launch so no surprise nvidia is lowering production

JRW

4070 is performing really close to where it should be , right up there with an RTX 3080 but $599 for a base 70 series card is just bonkers.

People actually think it costs Nvidia $1 to make a card that sells for $600.

If they aren't reducing prices but lowering production instead it means they literally can't without selling for a loss. But don't tell that to the big brains on Reddit who think Nvidia owes them previous gen $1600 3090 performance for $100.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

People actually think it costs Nvidia $1 to make a card that sells for $600.

If they aren't reducing prices but lowering production instead it means they literally can't without selling for a loss. But don't tell that to the big brains on Reddit who think Nvidia owes them previous gen $1600 3090 performance for $100.

Yeah I thought so as well, if they'd rather cut production then margins must be pretty slim.
Not sure what their game is. The 6950 XT is indeed better value, trounces that card and more VRAM.

Weird time to be a PC gamer.

Cinco de Mayo

Neo Member
it doesn't matter if they sell the 4070 at a loss. If the market does not accept the price point of 600 USD, NVIDIA should re-think their line up and pricing.

Someone should let NVIDIA know it is not 2020 anymore.

Varteras

Gold Member
"We slightly overestimated how many people wanted to spend $600 on the new mid-range GPU that broke a multi-generation streak of being better than last gen's higher end offering".

Annyone can help me!?
Here's my set up
Ryzen 5 5600X , 4070ti 12gb OC , 16g of ram and i addded a 750watt psu , shouldn't I be able tonplay Forza horizon 5 on extreme at 4k? Same for Re4 remake? But both make my pc crash! Or it boots me out to my desktop!
Could it be my PSU!? Is 750 enough or should I go for a 1000watt?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

This card is a more expensive 3080. what's here to like

Senua

The 2070 featured ray tracing the 1080 couldnt do and supported DLSS which was an even bigger gamechanger. That 16% actually doesnt tell the whole story.

But perfect graph otherwise. just goes to show how big of a scam this card is. Fuck these cunts.
Yet you still have people who bought and defend it here, madness I say!

Bojji

Annyone can help me!?
Here's my set up
Ryzen 5 5600X , 4070ti 12gb OC , 16g of ram and i addded a 750watt psu , shouldn't I be able tonplay Forza horizon 5 on extreme at 4k? Same for Re4 remake? But both make my pc crash! Or it boots me out to my desktop!

PSU should easily do it UNLESS it's some shitty brand or is dying. So what PSU do you have?

Other than that clean drivers with DDU, check GPU in 3d marks (timespy, port royal etc) to see if it's running correctly. Check GPU power connectors.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Annyone can help me!?
Here's my set up
How do the temperatures look like Cpu/Gpu? Factory Oc or did you do it?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Power efficiency and DLSS3.

3080 was a 320w card. I'll never dump 320 watts of GPU heat in my room.
4070 is a 200w card.
4070 also has 2 GB more VRAM when compared to the pipe dream bot snatched 2020 $699 MSRP 3080.
In the long run, dlss3 will not save the card either. It's too slow for that.

How do the temperatures look like Cpu/Gpu? Factory Oc or did you do it?
PSU should easily do it UNLESS it's some shitty brand or is dying. So what PSU do you have?

Other than that clean drivers with DDU, check GPU in 3d marks (timespy, port royal etc) to see if it's running correctly. Check GPU power connectors.
My PSU is a thermaltake smart BX1 750w
The temparatures for the cpu right now is around 56c and gpu 42c

Top Bottom