• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA is reportedly slowing GeForce RTX 4070 production due to low sales

Spyxos

Gold Member
My PSU is a thermaltake smart BX1 750w
The temparatures for the cpu right now is around 56c and gpu 42c
Ingame gpu 42c? Otherwise, as Bojji said, run the DDU and check cables to see if they are plugged in correctly. Re 4 Remake you could be Vram limited if it is crashing to desktop. You could be Vram limited in both games, but you Pc should not crash completely

Last edited:

Bojji

My PSU is a thermaltake smart BX1 750w
The temparatures for the cpu right now is around 56c and gpu 42c

See if 3d mark timespy score is correct for your GPU and that test completes without errors (timespy is free on steam).

PSU looks fine but beauty (lol) of PC gaming is that when something goes wrong sometimes it's hard to pin point the cause.

Ingame gpu 42c? Otherwise, as Bojji said, run the DDU and check cables to see if they are plugged in correctly. Re 4 Remake you could be Vram limited.
In game I'm not sure!
Well i can play forza if I leave everything as is when I start the game , but if I boost everything to extreme it just kicks me out of the game

See if 3d mark timespy score is correct for your GPU and that test completes without errors (timespy is free on steam).

PSU looks fine but beauty (lol) of PC gaming is that when something goes wrong sometimes it's hard to pin point the cause.
I need the 44$ version of 3d marks to run timespy....

DaGwaphics

PC gamers are so bloody stubborn. (iam a pc gamer)

People are getting caught up so much on the naming scheme. "A 4070/4080 should be $XXX!!! I ain't buying a x70 for $XXX when I've been buying a x80 for the same price! :messenger_pouting:"

Forget about the name. Buy the card that fits your budget and performance goals.

But hey I'm one of the idiots who bought a 4080 so fuck me. It's an amazing card and a huge step up from my 2080 and I'm glad I didn't buy a 3000 card lol :messenger_fearful:

I don't really think the naming scheme has anything to do with it at all. Buyers don't really care what it is called.

It's all price to performance and Nvidia has bumped the top end of the 4000 series lineup out of the comfort range for a lot of people. And once you get to buyers okay with $599 you are still left with the performance comparison between the new card and whatever the last card was this user paid $500 or $600 for. If buyers aren't seeing the uplift there they thought they were going to see after X amount of years, some of those might skip it as well.

Nvidia is finding out the hard way that it is difficult to sell processors when you combine price increases for each card with lower than expected performance gains. It's basically Intel circa 2015/2016 or so. Especially when most GPU buyers probably figured they were eventually going to be offered 3090 performance for 3070 money when the 4070 launched (which is essentially what the pattern has been historically with the new 70 series matching or beating the previous top-end configuration whatever that name may be).

In summary, the names don't matter at all, Nvidia simply hasn't put forward products that the masses are interested in at the price on offer.

I don't think gamers appreciate/value the faux frames in the way that Nvidia was hoping they would either, which is another issue entirely.

Bojji

I need the 44$ version of 3d marks to run timespy....

UNPdQOe.jpg

Bojji

I think you have to lover you setting at 4k.

Forza behaves well when going out of VRAM (lowers performance), it shouldn't crash or turn off pc.

In general when PC shuts itself down it could be (most likely to less likely):

- PSU issue (PSU brand is ok but maybe it's not working correctly)
- GPU issue (they fucked it up in a factory)
- CPU issues
- RAM issues

Spyxos

Gold Member
Forza behaves well when going out of VRAM (lowers performance), it shouldn't crash or turn off pc.

- CPU issues
- RAM issues
I was meaning that more at crash to desktop. Not Pc crash.

- CPU issues
- RAM issues
Now to pin point what is causing this....

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Power efficiency and DLSS3.

3080 was a 320w card. I'll never dump 320 watts of GPU heat in my room.
4070 is a 200w card.
4070 also has 2 GB more VRAM when compared to the pipe dream bot snatched 2020 $699 MSRP 3080.
3080 is a bad choice vs. 4070 when given the option today.
You are speaking like if 300watt 3080 will heat your room lol. You would never feel any difference 200-300 watt when it comes to room temperature. Are you kidding me.
Bots or not, I snatched 3080fe for 699 on release day. It even came with freebies like watch dogs legion(new game at the time) but all in all final result,. the price is about the same or slightly lower than 3080 was (in theory as you say).
2gb of vram is barely enough. Nvidia is still artificially avoiding putting 16gb in their cards like amd does.
Of course 3080 is a bad choice today compared to 4070. I just still think it should be even cheaper

Bojji

Now to pin point what is causing this....

Other than what was said earlier you can always check GPU itself in a different PC, but for that you need someone with PC what would handle GPU like this.

Your previous GPU was running ok so CPU or RAM problems are very unlikely.

It's the GPU or PSU in my opinion.

You can try lowering GPU clock in MSI afterburner and check games that were causing problems, if they run correctly with lower clock then GPU can't handle factory oc and you should get replacement.

- CPU issues
- RAM issues
I ran 3d mark timespy my score is 16 175
Graphic score is 22 315
Cpu score is 6321

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah I thought so as well, if they'd rather cut production then margins must be pretty slim.
Not sure what their game is. The 6950 XT is indeed better value, trounces that card and more VRAM.

Weird time to be a PC gamer.
Don't kid yourself, they rather cut production because its clear that the 4070 is just bad value especially when you consider the amount of used 3080 cards out there that cost less than the 4070.

Hot5pur

Yeah PC gaming as a hobby feels strange now.

The best part about it, which is the GPU, is becoming a bit ridiculous.

Then you look at the ports, while it's nice we still get much better fidelity and FPS than consoles, there are really buggy/broken ports very often.

For a $100 price increase on the 4070 it should have beat the 3080 by a good 10% and shipped with 16 GB of RAM. Instead it's worse than the 3080 and has the fake frames which are kinda iffy as a feature given artefacts and such.

Basically people will just pass on upgrading every gen, maybe that's what Nvidia is going for, more expensive cards with expectation of a 4 year upgrade cycle for most people.

Laptop1991

Serves them right for greed, they are not helping PC gaming at those over the top prices, in value for money terms i had a GTX 980 for five years before upgrading, i played more games than now and everything on full and it cost 400 quid, i'm not paying 1500 to 2 grand to buy a card that isn't needed for the quality of the current games being released on PC, which isn't that many really, no way, the 5 series will along soon anyway.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So they would rather not even make and sell them, than to drop the price.

AMD and Intel need to step it up and murder this monopoly.
They can probably shift wafers to AI products and just slowly assemble the chips they have in process to meet the low demand.

Other than what was said earlier you can always check GPU itself in a different PC, but for that you need someone with PC what would handle GPU like this.

Your previous GPU was running ok so CPU or RAM problems are very unlikely.

It's the GPU or PSU in my opinion.

You can try lowering GPU clock in MSI afterburner and check games that were causing problems, if they run correctly with lower clock then GPU can't handle factory oc and you should get replacement.
It went to a black screen with my 3060 too, So I tried a few games like Atomic heart and at 1080p it worked then I went to 1440p ans it went to a black screen and it stalled my PC , Forza on Ulatra at 1440p it works if put it at extreme it crashes , I tried RDR2 went right to the black screem and crashed , Re4remake made the D3D error and crashes....what do you use to check the temperatures ingame?

n0razi

Just hoping for a sub $450 4060ti with raster performance that can match a 3070ti or 3080 with optimizations

Last edited:
Yes, but don't forget PS5 sales are up.
Because there are actual PS5s to sell — finally. I actually bought a second one for the office (and as a back up for my launch model) just because they had some in stock thinking that they’ll run out again and now I see them stacked in every store 😔

this is what happens when you have no competition in the high end segment, as well as a consumer base that is stupid enough to overpay year after year.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m not a pc gamer but I’d become one in a second if there were ways to get them as user friendly as a console. I’d not have excessive amounts of time to play around with them, but I do have the means to upgrade frequently.

If I could drop into my chair at home after helping the kids with homework, hanging with the wife, and wlking the dog, then firing the system up from the couch with a controller, sign me up. To my limited knowledge, this doesn’t seem to exist but by god do I want it to. I’m essentially asking for a $2k console I can update every 2 years or less, I know… I still want it

Melter

PC gamers are so bloody stubborn. (iam a pc gamer)

People are getting caught up so much on the naming scheme. "A 4070/4080 should be $XXX!!! I ain't buying a x70 for $XXX when I've been buying a x80 for the same price! :messenger_pouting:"

Forget about the name. Buy the card that fits your budget and performance goals.

But hey I'm one of the idiots who bought a 4080 so fuck me. It's an amazing card and a huge step up from my 2080 and I'm glad I didn't buy a 3000 card lol :messenger_fearful:
The copium is real with this post.

The 4000 cards are bad price to performance value. It’s clear Nvidia is overcharging for them because they thought the GPU craze from last gen would continue.

kiphalfton

Same thing happened with Turing:

- Came off the heels of the previous gen selling like hotcakes due to mining
- Performance and price wasn't that impressive for the RTX 70 and 80 series.

Hopefully like Turing, we'll get RTX 4070 Super and RTX 4080 Super. Probably not since there's already the RTX 4070 Ti, but who knows.

In any case I think this will be another long generation.

Last edited:

Reallink

For me it will be fast enough. I upgrade every generation. I don't keep cards for the long run...

You'll be looking at upgrading twice (i.e. 6070) to possibly match a 4090. That means you'll be paying at least $600 3x times ($1800) to run second class low end cards for 4-5 years when you could just spend $1599 right now and enjoy at least 4 years of vastly superior performance Vs. both the 4070 and 5070 you plan to buy. This is why I keep telling anyone who is even remotely interested in PC gaming to just bite the bullet and buy a 4090. It is so far beyond all the step down cards it'll take 2 more generations for the XX70's to match it, and it will very likely edge out the 5080 as well. It's expensive, but is one of the first computer components in ages that will actually enjoy some semblance of "future proofing".

Last edited:

Leonidas

You'll be looking at upgrading twice (i.e. 6070) to possibly match a 4090. That means you'll be paying at least $600 3x times ($1800) to run second class low end cards for 4-5 years when you could just spend $1599 right now and enjoy at least 4 years of vastly superior performance Vs. both the 4070 and 5070 you plan to buy. This is why I keep telling anyone who is even remotely interested in PC gaming to just bite the bullet and buy a 4090. It is so far beyond all the step down cards it'll take 2 more generations for the XX70's to match it, and it will very likely edge out the 5080 as well. It's expensive, but is one of the first computer components ever that will actually enjoy some semblance of "future proofing".
I game at 1440p, I don't need a top end card.
4090 is only 70% faster than the 4070 at 1440p while costing nearly 170% more, no thanks.

I want to continue experiencing 20-30% uplifts every generation as I have been doing. I also sell my GPUs every generation so by the time I get to 6070 it will have cost me only $800-$1200, and will probably be close to 4090 while using much less power (and probably having 6000-series exclusive features).

I don't want 4090 levels of power till it comes down to 220 watts with a card length of under 260mm and a price tag near 600 (2023 inflation adjusted) dollars.

Last edited:

Braag

It's not just about what one can afford. The value proposition is utterly ridiculous this gen. It's good that the market is finally being somewhat rational and is starting to reject these poor value products.

Hold the line peeps!
Pretty much yeah. The price hike from 3000 to 4000 was massive. I could easily afford a 4090 but I can't give my money to Nvidia and not feel like they not only sold me a product but also robbed me while they were at it.

But they can price their products however they want and us consumers ultimately decide if we want to buy them or not.

Last edited:

Hoddi

Pretty much yeah. The price hike from 3000 to 4000 was massive. I could easily afford a 4090 but I can't give my money to Nvidia and not feel like they not only sold me a product but also robbed me while they were at it.

But they can price their products however they want and us consumers ultimately decide if we want to buy them or not.
Affording it isn't the problem for most adults outside of poorer countries. Finding it worth it is a whole different ballgame.

I can easily afford a 4090 but there's no chance that I'm spending this kind of money on a freaking GPU. I'd rather just downgrade my shitty 4k LCD to one of those new 1440p OLED monitors and keep using my current GPU. And then I'll grab one of those 4090 or 7900 GPUs when they've fallen price two years from now.

Bojji

I ran 3d mark timespy my score is 16 175
Graphic score is 22 315
Cpu score is 6321

Scores looks correct for this hardware.

It went to a black screen with my 3060 too, So I tried a few games like Atomic heart and at 1080p it worked then I went to 1440p ans it went to a black screen and it stalled my PC , Forza on Ulatra at 1440p it works if put it at extreme it crashes , I tried RDR2 went right to the black screem and crashed , Re4remake made the D3D error and crashes....what do you use to check the temperatures ingame?

Msi afterburner has in game overalay and you can set what do you want to see in settings. GF Experience has lighter version of it too.

Scores looks correct for this hardware.

Msi afterburner has in game overalay and you can set what do you want to see in settings. GF Experience has lighter version of it too.
Thanks for the help! I'll start off by rolling back the old drivers from the 3060 and installing new drivers , all I did was install the card and updated the drivers , it could be the problem

Tarin02543

You'll be looking at upgrading twice (i.e. 6070) to possibly match a 4090. That means you'll be paying at least $600 3x times ($1800) to run second class low end cards for 4-5 years when you could just spend $1599 right now and enjoy at least 4 years of vastly superior performance Vs. both the 4070 and 5070 you plan to buy. This is why I keep telling anyone who is even remotely interested in PC gaming to just bite the bullet and buy a 4090. It is so far beyond all the step down cards it'll take 2 more generations for the XX70's to match it, and it will very likely edge out the 5080 as well. It's expensive, but is one of the first computer components in ages that will actually enjoy some semblance of "future proofing".

But those 1800 dollars are being spent with accumulated disposable income over six years.

Nobody takes out a loan for a Ferrari.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If there where exclusive PC games with insane impossible to port graphics doing shit that makes the PS5 cry I'd consider it, but playing the same games with imperceptibly higher Rez and silly frame rates just doesn't cut the mustard for me, paying over £800 for a single part of a gaming pc that brings nothing of actual substance to the table is just insane imo, GFX card prices are mental

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4070 is performing really close to where it should be , right up there with an RTX 3080 but $599 for a base 70 series card is just bonkers.
Where it should?

Every other xx70 matches or beats the previous gens range topper.
Part of the fun of the xx70s was you effectively got a lastgen range topper for much less money, simply by waiting ~two years.

You wanted to match a 2080Ti, you bought a 3070
You wanted to match a 1080Ti, you bought a 2070S
You wanted to match a 980Ti, you bought a 1070
You wanted to match a 780Ti, you bought a 970
So on and so forth.

The RTX 4070 doesnt beat the 3090, let alone the 3090Ti.....and its not that much of a deal getting the 4070 cuz its not that much less than the 3080 it competes against at MSRP and doesnt hold a candle to last gen range topper cards.
In the shops it and the 3080 they are effectively the same price, and theres competing cards on the market that match its performance and are better value.

Its the worst xx70 since.............damn, we are in the generation of the worst xx70?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If there where exclusive PC games with insane impossible to port graphics doing shit that makes the PS5 cry I'd consider it, but playing the same games with imperceptibly higher Rez and silly frame rates just doesn't cut the mustard for me, paying over £800 for a single part of a gaming pc that brings nothing of actual substance to the table is just insane imo, GFX card prices are mental
You think you are going to see Quake/Portal RTX or CyberPunk Overdrive on console?
Let alone Nvidia Omniverse and Remix titles?
Hell even Star Citizen is considered impossible to port to currentgen consoles.

The argument of "its same game with prettier graphics" can also be applied to the PS5 itself.
Very few games (probably only Rift Apart and Flight Simulator) have been anything more than "same game with prettier graphics" compared to if it was launched last gen.

P.S You dont need to spend 800 dollars on a GPU.
Just buy an A770 or RX6800.....the A7 is sub 300 dollars and will play everything currentgen, if you want a bit more ooompff jump up to sub 500 dollars and get the RX6800.

Senua

Top Bottom