• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Leak May Have Revealed Switch 2 Console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This information comes from user NWPlayer123 on Twitter and Nintendo Wire. Nvidia was recently hit with a major cyberattack, and it seems like the source code for Nvidia DLSS has now been leaked. NVN refers to the graphics API of the Nintendo Switch and this leak heavily features the term "nvn2." In follow-up tweets, NWPlayer123 further confirms the information from this leak and speculates that this device might be a Switch Pro that got delayed, instead of a full next-gen Switch. As always, fans should take every leak or rumor with a grain of salt.

Why is this relevant? Well, because "NVN" is used to refer to the Nintendo Switch. Putting a "2" after this indicates a different, new product and, more specifically, a successor to the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

This information comes from user NWPlayer123 on Twitter and Nintendo Wire. Nvidia was recently hit with a major cyberattack, and it seems like the source code for Nvidia DLSS has now been leaked. NVN refers to the graphics API of the Nintendo Switch and this leak heavily features the term "nvn2." In follow-up tweets, NWPlayer123 further confirms the information from this leak and speculates that this device might be a Switch Pro that got delayed, instead of a full next-gen Switch. As always, fans should take every leak or rumor with a grain of salt.

Why is this relevant? Well, because "NVN" is used to refer to the Nintendo Switch. Putting a "2" after this indicates a different, new product and, more specifically, a successor to the Nintendo Switch.

For sure Nintendo are making Switch2.
I think we'll probably get news on it towards the end of the year.

FStubbs

Probably some of the prototyping and research that goes into building the next console. Remember 2 GBAs duct taped together?

ckaneo

Sounds great, DLSS really seems like the way to go for Switch 2. Hope it’s true!
I know nothing about technology, but would it be possible to use dlss to upscale something like 540p to 1080p or something? Like the idea is 4K but what the lowest resolution it can go save to save performance for a machine

Robb

Gold Member
I know nothing about technology, but would it be possible to use dlss to upscale something like 540p to 1080p or something?
I’m definitely no expert on DLSS either, all I’ve grasped is that it allows for a lot of performance savings while still providing high quality output which seems absolutely perfect for a hybrid system.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question, but I would assume it’d be able to upscale 540p to 1080p.

Andodalf

Banned
I know nothing about technology, but would it be possible to use dlss to upscale something like 540p to 1080p or something? Like the idea is 4K but what the lowest resolution it can go save to save performance for a machine

It can be used for any arbitrary resolutions, and you can even do things like use an internal resolution of 720p on a 1080p screen to achieve native or better results with cost

wazhouss

Neo Member
Why a switch pro?
Pointless.

Just make switch 2 with switch 1 BC.
I REALLY hope its NOT switch pro.
Switch pro makes more sense since they wouldn't leave behind original switch users. If they make a switch 2, first party games would be switch 2 exclusives.

Knightime_X

Switch pro makes more sense since they wouldn't leave behind original switch users. If they make a switch 2, first party games would be switch 2 exclusives.
They'll simply buy the switch 2 like everyone does with every new console generation.

Reactions: TLZ

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ray tracing sounds like a waste.

It also sounds like something Nintendo wouldn't care about for like.. Another 10 years.

It actually seems like a thing Nintendo would make a game around.
Mario mirror dimension?
Where your reflections are a main gameplay element and you have to solve puzzles using reflections.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You aren't getting a Switch 2 in the next 4 years. Nintendo themselves have said it's halfway through its lifecycle. They may release a Switch Pro (although I don't believe it given we've seen rumours for about 3 years straight) but not an entirely new system that has its own library.

Edit for those wondering why I'm saying something that sounds crazy - chip shortages. They aren't going away. The average 7 year hardware cycle is probably not viable right now, shortages mean it isn't worth it to release hardware nobody can buy for exclusive games nobody can play. Not when in 4 years time there could easily be 150m+ Switches in the wild. See also why every major PS5 release this year is on PS4.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You aren't getting a Switch 2 in the next 4-and-a-bit years. Nintendo themselves have said it's halfway through its lifecycle. They may release a Switch Pro (although I don't believe it given we've seen rumours for about 3 years straight) but not an entirely new system that has its own library.
Lifecycle just mean not canning and obsoleting the Switch when a successor arrives, it does not mean 10 years from launch to a successor.

A Switch Pro with a brand new GPU core and DLSS 2.x support would be a bit held back by not being able to also have exclusive software.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It actually seems like a thing Nintendo would make a game around.
Mario mirror dimension?
Where your reflections are a main gameplay element and you have to solve puzzles using reflections.

Agreed :). I think and hope there is decent raytracing performance and tensor cores too (would be a boon for upscaling in their emulators). I am ok not getting 4K@120 Hz but modern features in the HW and some unique twists are definitely something that Nintendo could make good use of.

Marvel14

Banned
I'd be surprised if all it did was improved graphics. I'm expecting Nintendo to do something extra to deepen the USP and unique experiences either in the AR space, on haptic feedback or mobile phone integration (imagine if Switch 2 meant you could Switch seamlessly twice from TV to handheld or to phone).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Agreed :). I think and hope there is decent raytracing performance and tensor cores too (would be a boon for upscaling in their emulators). I am ok not getting 4K@120 Hz but modern features in the HW and some unique twists are definitely something that Nintendo could make good use of.
I expect luigi mansion 3 graphics but with ray traced reflections and 6 60fps @1080p portable using DLSS and 1440p docked using DLSS.

User 6 60fps has no posts? Is it the ultimate troll account?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
You aren't getting a Switch 2 in the next 4-and-a-bit years. Nintendo themselves have said it's halfway through its lifecycle.
Switch release date: 3rd March 2017.

3DS games published by Nintendo after this date:

2017 (after 3rd March):
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
Ever Oasis
Hey Pikmin
Metroid: Samus Returns
Mario & Luigi
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Kirby: Battle Royale
Mario Party: Top 100
Fire Emblem Warriors

2018:
Detective Pikachu
WarioWare Gold
Luigi’s Mansion

2019:
Mario & Luigi
Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn

It’s likely that Nintendo consider these 3 years of 3DS support as part of the 3DS’s overall life span.

Therefore it’s reasonable to believe that a Switch 2 could hit by next winter with Nintendo continuing to support the OG for 2-3 years.

yurinka

NOPE, not Switch 2

this is just a Switch Pro
I now think this may be real, that there is a device coming that may be marketed with the name of Switch 2, Super Nintendo Switch or Switch Pro but in terms of hardware will be what we know as Switch Pro:

Basically a BC device that runs the Switch games, but with higher horsepower and DLSS to allow 4K gaming. Unless they do something to implement DLSS to all games and DLSS requires per game implementation, I assume only new games (or patched ones) would use DLSS to play 4K.

Regarding the naming, if it only runs games that are also available for previous Switch devices, I assume they should go with Switch Pro. If in addition to the BC games it also runs exclusive games that aren't supported by previous Switch devices I'd call it Switch 2.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lifecycle just mean not canning and obsoleting the Switch when a successor arrives, it does not mean 10 years from launch to a successor.

A Switch Pro with a brand new GPU core and DLSS 2.x support would be a bit held back by not being able to also have exclusive software.
It’s likely that Nintendo consider these 3 years of 3DS support as part of the 3DS’s overall life span.

Therefore it’s reasonable to believe that a Switch 2 could hit by next winter with Nintendo continuing to support the OG for 2-3 years.

I would not use what Nintendo's done in the past as any kind of basis on what happens with the Switch, considering it's their first hybrid system. Let's also not forget the chip shortage that's going to last years longer, there is currently much more advantage in continuing to produce software for a system with over 100 million units in the wild (and still selling hard) than it is to try and get 100 million people to buy a new system that's even harder to get. See Playstation and the fact that all this year's big releases are out on PS4. The difference with Nintendo is that the Switch's hardware is already so weak (by definition) that I simply can't picture a scenario where they make cross-gen games for Switch 1/2. Hell, that's assuming it's a Switch 2 in the first place, but again I can't see a world where they go back to two systems.

Normally I would agree that we'll see a new system sooner, but not in this climate. Just like I don't think we'll see a true PS6 until 2030.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What if Switch 2 comes out without an Oled screen? That would suck so bad. I can't go back after getting the Oled.
It will come out without OLED and you will buy it and then buy the OLED model 2-3 years later.

Nintendo always releases the cheapest piece of shit they think they can get away with to start so no way in fuck they are spending 10-20 more on a nice screen if they can do less and still launch for the same MSRP.

Last edited:

Louay

It will come out without OLED and you will buy it and then buy the OLED model 2-3 years later.

Nintendo always releases the cheapest piece of shit they think they can get away with to start so no way in fuck they are spending 10-20 more on a nice screen if they can do less and still launch for the same MSRP.
yeah Nintendo will never sell their console at loss

kyliethicc

BLk0UlS.jpg

Dampf

Ray tracing sounds like a waste.
Absolutely not.

In the near future games will be using Raytracing exclusively for certain lighting effects such as GI or reflections, meaning devs won't bother implementing SSR and baked GI anymore. UE5's Lumen will also benefit massively from HW-acceleration.

Thanks to the improved RT acceleration of Ampere compared to RDNA2, the Switch 2 will push far above its weight compared to the current gen consoles then. That is basically free extra performance, which in that formfactor is crucial, it's all about efficiency here.

RT cores are neccessary if Nintendo wants the Switch 2 to stay relevant for a long time.

Plus, as some poster said here before, it also allows Nintendo to implement new gameplay mechanics that would not be possible without RT. They are no stranger to that, for example in BOTW they are using dynamic shadows for a shrine puzzle in the Gerudo Desert. With RT, so much more would be possible.

It all makes perfect sense! :)

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have no clue what is possible for optimization, but could Nintendo be targeting something that would user Ray Tracing, render at 1080p use DLSS to upscale to 4k and continue to use their typical graphical styling that overall lets them release a relatively cheap console that also allows for a relatively cheap development cycle?

I guess I am asking if having a chip that can do Ray Tracing can help reduce their overall cost by implementing Ray Tracing in some cheap fashion or is there some other cost-effective use of the RT cores in the architecture? I can't see Nintendo paying for a capability they aren't going to fully utilize so what will they do with the RT cores?

Banned

you can but it will not look as impressive.

it is surprising how good DLSS looks even with super low resolutions but extremely low ones like that should only be the last resort option.

I personally, just to push the limits for fun, tried running Death Stranding on my 4K TV using DLSS Ultra Performance mode, which runs the game internally at 720p, and it looks astonishingly good given the super low resolution it upsamples from.
at that point you can of course totally tell it's not native at all and you will definitely have some obvious artifacts but it honestly is an extremely effective solution if you don't have any other choice.

BUT, and that was surprising to me... I actually still preferred the look of that 720p upsampled to 4K by DLSS to the look of native res + TAA... that engine has such awful Antialiasing that DLSS looks better no matter what you do imo 🤣

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Isn't DLSS done with the Tensor Cores?
I think that those are not exlusive, when it comes to data, so they have to work in tandem. I could be wrong tho, but since basically all DLSS GPU also have raytracing capability, makes me think it's no an optional deal, to have also RT cores

They need to future proof and the og Switch at launch 5 years ago wasn't that shit spec wise for a portable.

I also don't think we will get a "pro" variant, I think it will be a straight up successor because we would have already got a upgraded Switch by now.
Future proof? What are you talking about, Nintendo don't even care about 1080p in this day and age. I don't think future proofing has any part in their strategy.

Top Bottom