• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA produced over 100,000 RTX 4090 units thus far

winjer

Gold Member

Since the NVIDIA GeForce, RTX 4090 graphics card came out about a month ago, at least 100,000 of them have been sold, according to data.

Even though the product costs more than $1,500, many people have bought the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090. Note that 100,000 units do not equal the total number of GPUs made or sold. Instead, it is the number of chips that were sent to partners so they could make RTX 4090 models. The AD102-300 chip in the GeForce RTX 4090 has 16384 CUDA cores and a clock speed of 2520 MHz (with boost mode). The card has 1 TB of bandwidth and 24 GB of GDDR6X memory. Read the guru3d review here.

That is quite a big number for such an expensive GPU, in just one month.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Reallink

Let me fix that for you.

Well, it's enough that they sold 100,000 units primarily through secret inventory tracking Discords that post "hacked" auto-add-to-cart links before product pages go live. As such, this sales volume only represents a fraction of outstanding demand as you're artificially limited to a tiny subset of highly motivated and sophisticated buyers that camp websites and trackers all day. Clearly there is much broader demand beyond this, many times this number. So when you take these kinds of numbers, factor in how niche the dGPU space itself is, and further subdivide out the super high end, I think it's time to acknowledge that the majority of people seem to have plenty of money. You're talking about a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche moving this many $2000 GPU's in about 3 weeks. So perhaps it's more accurate to say, a LOT of people got a LOT of money.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And they've sold every single one in under 30 seconds, the vast majority of them being the $1800-$2000 models. People got plenty of money, I LOL every time someone talks about recessions and gas prices.
Let me fix that for you.
Its like when people talk about there is no need for pro consoles at this time of no games using the current tech fully and people not having the money due to inflation, but I bet pro consoles would also sell out instantly

//DEVIL//

Proud owner of one of them. Yes, the economy isn't as good but my gaming saving is different from my actual saving. I made some money selling GPUs back then It almost made the 4090 FE price for me about 500$ US ( + of course the profit I made out of GPUs the last 3 months of people panicking and selling for cheap, I buy and sell for some little profit here and there ).

the card is amazing, so why not ?

iHaunter

And they've sold every single one in under 30 seconds, the vast majority of them being the $1800-$2000 models. People got plenty of money, I LOL every time someone talks about recessions and gas prices.
I feel like it's just mostly dipshit scalpers. I don't think they'll sell.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Holy crap, that's it? I was asking this question before, how do you measure success? Does 100k units really move the needle on the market? I mean compared to consoles, this is nothing. I mean sony one is selling over 15 times this in a month.

It's no wonder they priced it so high, they knew they would sell the pittance they made.

Merkades

Unfortunately, nowhere near enough. I really want an FE edition (probably the only one that fits my case... maybe, will have to look into the right angle power adapters).

And by really want, I mean without being gouged, since they are pretty expensive to me, even if I am willing to buy one. Maybe I will go all team red for a few years if I can't get one.

Fuck yeah proud of my boy 4090 FE. Can't wait to get an equally beast CPU upgrade next. Then it'll be another 6 years of riding out this rig until I upgrade again.

hlm666

Mining isn't viable with these things, right?
lol yeh that argument about only 10 people buying gpus to play games and the rest is mining is essentially dead. Nvidias next quarter finacials wont be getting much help from mining so the gaming segment revenue will be interesting.

sertopico

I would have got one if only there was a single killer app worth playing atm. I personally don't care that much at making 120 fps on console ports. Ok Requiem looks great and all but other than that?

Gimme something like Crysis which really represented a generational leap in graphical fidelity back then and I will buy it.

Back on topic, the results achieved are pretty good I must say, there is apparently a really high demand. But after the initial hype I can see available cards on various shops already. Not to mention the fact it's totally meaningless getting a 4080 given the huge gap between the two.

Goon_Bong

I’m not exactly living in the gutter, but I can’t fathom spending the sort of coin that gets dropped on these halo cards each gen. If you are, you’re either a millionaire or a drug dealer.

Saw this video yesterday which sheds some light on the topic.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I would have got one if only there was a single killer app worth playing atm. I personally don't care that much at making 120 fps on console ports. Ok Requiem looks great and all but other than that?

Gimme something like Crysis which really represented a generational leap in graphical fidelity back then and I will buy it.

Back on topic, the results achieved are pretty good I must say, there is apparently a really high demand. But after the initial hype I can see available cards on various shops already. Not to mention the fact it's totally meaningless getting a 4080 given the huge gap between the two.
But I didn't bought a 4090 just to max out the games coming out right now (even if we already have a new Crysis in the form of RDR II in my opinion).
No, it is for the rest of the gen. GTA VI, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. II, Silent Hill 2, Atomic Heart, Alan Wake II, Crimson Desert, Fable, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora are just a few examples that come to mind of games that will undoubtedly look great.

kiphalfton

That's because people are stupid and don't have their priorities straight.

Reallink

In true GVMER fashion and as expected by anyone with a brain, online pundit's promises of the public at large rejecting Nvidia's price gouging, and 4090's rotting on shelves after a week cause they're too expensive turned out to be greatly exaggerated.

That's because people are stupid and don't have their priorities straight.

While true, the bigger issue is that post-covid, employers have been handing out obscene raises like candy. People got so much money it doesn't matter how stupid they are, they can afford it.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Anyone who thought these wouldn't sell out for the first few months is just plain dumb. It's not a question of whether they'll sell out initially; enthusiasts will always be there to buy the first batch. It's a question of whether demand will continue to remain high after the super enthusiasts have bought their cards.

Judging by eBay sales figures, demand for the 4080 is already waning. Once the 4090 launch enthusiasm dies off and AMD's new cards hit the market, I wouldn't be surprised to see 4090s sitting on store shelves next to 4080s.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Holy crap, that's it? I was asking this question before, how do you measure success? Does 100k units really move the needle on the market? I mean compared to consoles, this is nothing. I mean sony one is selling over 15 times this in a month.

It's no wonder they priced it so high, they knew they would sell the pittance they made.

It’s a Halo product, they aren’t made or intended to be 10million + sellers, they are made to be the trickle down tech powering the actuall mass market products.

To put in perspective, earlier this year Nvidia revealed they had sold 20 million 3x00 gpu’s, the vast majority being 3060’s likely.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I find this crazy that so many people are willing to spend 2k euro on a card. crazy
That is
219,700,540 usd in revenue(with europe base FE price). Holy shit

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I find this crazy that so many people are willing to spend 2k euro on a card. crazy
That is
Why? Many of us have disposable income that outpaces the cost of our vacations/hobbies/wants. That extra money gets to go into stuff like this. Why settle for Kia's when you can comfortably enjoy a Mercedies? Sure, its frivolous and not needed, but so long as you have your retirement, savings, obligations and such taken care of, why not get the best of the best when you can?

winjer

Gold Member
That is

Besides wealthy people with more money than common sense.
There are also people for whom all that vram is extremely useful for work. Video and/or photo editing, game development, 3D rendering, etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why? Many of us have disposable income that outpaces the cost of our vacations/hobbies/wants. That extra money gets to go into stuff like this. Why settle for Kia's when you can comfortably enjoy a Mercedies? Sure, its frivolous and not needed, but so long as you have your retirement, savings, obligations and such taken care of, why not get the best of the best when you can?
I know. Gaming is not a very expensive hobby.
Sure, awesome full out rig might be 3-5k but A fishing boat? A premium fishing rod? A basic outerboard engine that's only 20kph is like cost of whole rig. I know, my father likes fishing and I think my hobby is cheaper

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sure, awesome full out rig might be 3-5k but A fishing boat? A premium fishing rod? A basic outerboard engine that's only 20kph is like cost of whole rig. I know, my father likes fishing and I think my hobby is cheaper
lol yep. I'm also into furniture making/wood working, I can easily drop 10k on a single piece of shop equipment without blinking, Gaming compared to that is super cheap.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol yep. I'm also into furniture making/wood working, I can easily drop 10k on a single piece of shop equipment without blinking, Gaming compared to that is super cheap.
haha I remember when my father bought himself the festool saw with these long rails in this slick ski like packaging. he was so proud of it haha (He is a carpenter and i was a bit too for some time.... but on boats.... it's complicated)

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I agree. It’s okay to have a hobby where you splurge beyond just some rational cost/benefit proposition.

Some of us grew up loving PC gaming and now we’re working hard and making real money and can afford the kind of super high-end gaming rig we always dreamed of having.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Besides wealthy people with more money than common sense.
There are also people for whom all that vram is extremely useful for work. Video and/or photo editing, game development, 3D rendering, etc.
To wealthy people buying this video card (or even a whole tricked out PC) is peanuts compared to some hobbies

Buggy Loop

I agree. It’s okay to have a hobby where you splurge beyond just some rational cost/benefit proposition.

Some of us grew up loving PC gaming and now we’re working hard and making real money and can afford the kind of super high-end gaming rig we always dreamed of having.

I will not buy a 4090 because i'm fine with the 3080 Ti for now, but i've spent as much as a 4090 price just for headphones... and again just for dac/amp.. probably double that for a gibson guitar... god i won't even go into the effect pedals i have or the Hiwatt custom 100 DR103 replica i have..

My step brother splurged 20k on a fucking quad.

So yea, i can imagine these cards going out. Don't peoples have new >$1k phones nearly every years? What if the guy sold his 3090 for a good price and spent the delta on a 4090 too? These cards don't crater in price easily, especially if you score an FE.

Top Bottom