• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases new benchmarks for its RTX 4080 graphics cards

Draugoth

Gold Member

Nvidia's RTX 4080 will be releasing in two flavours, each of which offers different allotments of CUDA cores and different amounts of GDDR6X memory. Both graphics cards offer gamers completely different performance profiles, forcing us to wonder why Nvidia did not call the 16GB model the RTX 4080 Ti, or their 12GB model the RTX 4070. Nvidia's RTX 4080 16GB and RTX 4080 12GB will be launching in November with MSRP prices of $1,199 and $899 respectively.

In A Plague Tale: Requiem, the vast majority of Nvidia's RTX 30/40 series lineup relies on DLSS to achieve 60+ FPS framerates. Note that this is without ray tracing enabled, which means that this game has the potential to be a lot more demanding. A Plague Tale: Requiem will support DLSS 3 at launch, giving Nvidia's RTX 40 series graphics cards a huge advantage over their RTX 30 series counterparts. Without DLSS Frame Generation, Nvidia's 12GB RTX 4080 would not be able to outperform Nvidia's last-generation RTX 3090 Ti.

In F1 22, we again see that Nvidia's RTX 40 series benefits greatly from Nvidia's DLSS 3 technology, and that Nvidia's RTX 4080 12GB cannot outperform Nvidia's last-generation RTX 3090 Ti without it.

Once again we see a hige performance gap between Nvidia's RTX 4090 and TX 4080 16GB, suggesting that there is space for an RTX 4080 Ti model if AMD decides to exploit this gap in Nvidia's RTX 40 series lineup.

With Microsoft Flight Simulator, we once again see that DLSS 3 has a huge impact on the performance profile of their RTX 40 series GPUs. We also see that Nvidia's RTX 3090 Ti can also outperform their RTX 4080 when DLSS is disabled, even if only marginally.

Nvidia's RTX 40 series relies on DLSS 3.0 to generate most of its promised performance gains. Here, the TX 4080 12GB is a lot further behind the RTX 4080 16GB than in other games. Maybe Nvidia should have called this GPU their RTX 4070, or RTX 4070 Ti.

Kuranghi

Is PT: Requiem an outlier? I was expecting to be able to play games that just came out at native 4K locked 60 (ie average 90fps, 1% dips to 70s) on a 4080 16GB, I think I'll just wait for the Ti variants if thats the case. 4090 gets so many more frames without RT on it seems like I need that to do what I want, I don't want to drop over a grand on something that won't be able to do 4K60 without DLSS by the end of next year, boo-urns!

Maybe I'm missing something here, it's probably just the massively multiplying cost of native 4K + max settings together, I could probably turn down a few settings and get similar IQ and get the perf to where I want it.

hlm666

Is PT: Requiem an outlier? I was expecting to be able to play games that just came out at native 4K locked 60 (ie average 90fps, 1% dips to 70s) on a 4080 16GB, I think I'll just wait for the Ti variants if thats the case. 4090 gets so many more frames without RT on it seems like I need that to do what I want, I don't want to drop over a grand on something that won't be able to do 4K60 without DLSS by the end of next year, boo-urns!

Maybe I'm missing something here, it's probably just the massively multiplying cost of native 4K + max settings together, I could probably turn down a few settings and get similar IQ and get the perf to where I want it.
It has an RT mode and they are the numbers I would expect for that mode, getting 60 with RT looks like a tall order.

//DEVIL//

In rasta, if you have a 3090ti / 3090. Keep it as it’s not worth the upgrade for 4080 16gigs.

Hell it’s a downgrade against the 12gb version

Honestly nvidia has no shame. The 4080 16 shouldn’t be more than. 1k MAX. That’s pushing it

Last edited:

RespawnX

According to this graphs 16GB variant 10-20% faster than a 3090 Ti, so around 3080 Ti level. I need to correct my past statements. THIS is the real 4070. The 12GB variant seems more the follow-up to the 3060 Ti. Nvidia skips the real XX80 this generation and really assumes we are stupid. But this sneaky move is necessary for their price strategy. For anyone who doesn't want to spend a month's salary on a new GPU, this generation shift is the smallest perf jump I've seen in two decades. Even the first RTX generation provided more, after all ray tracing.

I actually wanted to buy this at one point but that price is too dam high.

Really curious to see how it competes with the RX 7800 on both price and performance.

In F1 22, we again see that Nvidia's RTX 40 series benefits greatly from Nvidia's DLSS 3 technology, and that Nvidia's RTX 4080 12GB cannot outperform Nvidia's last-generation RTX 3090 Ti without it.

Once again we see a hige performance gap between Nvidia's RTX 4090 and TX 4080 16GB, suggesting that there is space for an RTX 4080 Ti model if AMD decides to exploit this gap in Nvidia's RTX 40 series lineup.

With Microsoft Flight Simulator, we once again see that DLSS 3 has a huge impact on the performance profile of their RTX 40 series GPUs. We also see that Nvidia's RTX 3090 Ti can also outperform their RTX 4080 when DLSS is disabled, even if only marginally.

Nvidia's RTX 40 series relies on DLSS 3.0 to generate most of its promised performance gains. Here, the TX 4080 12GB is a lot further behind the RTX 4080 16GB than in other games. Maybe Nvidia should have called this GPU their RTX 4070, or RTX 4070 Ti.

Yeah, 60% more cuda cores doubles performance on Plague Tale Requiem. They'll be lucky if the 4090 is at least 40% faster on average than the 4080 16G. Doubtful it doubles performance but we'll see, it might work out.

Haggard

Banned
as incredibly scummy as it may be, seeing those charts it`s clear why the cards are as expensive as they are.
They´d not sell a single ampere card anymore if the 40 gen would`ve released at pre-corona prices and the 4080 12GB was properly labeled as a 4070.
We´re gonna have to pay for their failed bet on continued mining until the last ampere cards are sold....and until then there will probably be enough retards buying 40s anyways and we`ll be stuck with NVIDIA demanding mining-era profit margins forever.....

Last edited:

adamosmaki

as incredibly scummy as it may be, seeing those charts it`s clear why the cards are as expensive as they are.
They´d not sell a single ampere card anymore if the 40 gen would`ve released at pre-corona prices and the 4080 12GB was properly labeled as a 4070.
We´re gonna have to pay for their failed bet on continued mining until the last ampere cards are sold....and until then there will probably be enough retards buying 40s anyways and we`ll be stuck with NVIDIA demanding mining-era profit margins forever.....
thats so true and the sad think is AMD will probably follow suit. Probably be a bit cheaper than nvidia but still way more expensive than should be .

GymWolf

According to this graphs 16GB variant 10-20% faster than a 3090 Ti, so around 3080 Ti level. I need to correct my past statements. THIS is the real 4070. The 12GB variant seems more the follow-up to the 3060 Ti. Nvidia skips the real XX80 this generation and really assumes we are stupid. But this sneaky move is necessary for their price strategy. For anyone who doesn't want to spend a month's salary on a new GPU, this generation shift is the smallest perf jump I've seen in two decades. Even the first RTX generation provided more, after all ray tracing.
Is my english completely fucked up or you are saying that a 3080ti is faster than a 3090ti?

Senua

4090 is the best lol
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

GHG GHG called that out the day these were announced.
him and everyone with a clue!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

They pulled this shit with the RTX 2080 (non Super), where it was barely on par with the RTX 1080 Ti. It was only after the 2070 Super came out, that they "made things right". Refreshed cards will offer what they should have originally, but then the time between it and the 5000 series will be even less, and you're still buying tech that should have originally released, late.

Didn't last long, but guess we can forget about 70 series cards being on par with previous gen 80 Ti cards (or what is now called the 90 series cards).

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Like last generation, not a big difference between the xx80 and xx90 when gaming at 4K, especially when factoring in games where you are already going over 100fps anyway.

RespawnX

Is my english completely fucked up or you are saying that a 3080ti is faster than a 3090ti?
The X70 series of a new generation has usually been about as fast as the X80 Ti of the previous generation.
They pulled this shit with the RTX 2080 (non Super), where it was barely on par with the RTX 1080 Ti. It was only after the 2070 Super came out, that they "made things right". Refreshed cards will offer what they should have originally, but then the time between it and the 5000 series will be even less, and you're still buying tech that should have originally released, late.

Didn't last long, but guess we can forget about 70 series cards being on par with previous gen 80 Ti cards (or what is now called the 90 series cards).
At least 20XX series offered a good bump in performance overall. But yes they already tried some sneaky moves in the past. Luckily this generation won’t be any miners saving their sales. The next financial reports should result in some pressure from share holders.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nvidia have got balls actually posting that shit.

Gen on Gen 3080'12G to 4080'12G........no gain.

4080'16G priced higher than 3090/Ti......basically the same.

Fuck right off with those prices.
Once DLSS3 get unlocked for the 30 series, both those 4080s will be garbo tier legit.
I dread to even think what their 4070 and 4060 are actually gonna be like now.

These DLSS3 slides are so misleading.

GymWolf

The X70 series of a new generation has usually been about as fast as the X80 Ti of the previous generation.

At least 20XX series offered a good bump in performance overall. But yes they already tried some sneaky moves in the past. Luckily this generation won’t be any miners saving their sales. The next financial reports should result in some pressure from share holders.
Ok i completely misunderstood what you were saying then :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Nvidia have got balls actually posting that shit.

Gen on Gen 3080'12G to 4080'12G........no gain.

4080'16G priced higher than 3090/Ti......basically the same.

Fuck right off with those prices.
Once DLSS3 get unlocked for the 30 series, both those 4080s will be garbo tier legit.
I dread to even think what their 4070 and 4060 are actually gonna be like now.

These DLSS3 slides are so misleading.
Don't they also have better performing rtx hardware inside them compared to the 3000 series?

(not saying that you are wrong, but maybe they are worthy for rtx nutjobs)

Last edited:

rsouzadk

I do agree with you. This entire 4080 line is like xx70 and xx60ti in past generations. Nvidia fucking it up hard this time.

GymWolf

If dlss 3 was in every game in existence (and if it doesn't work aswell in precedent series) this card would be much more palatable.

But as it is it basically only beats a 3090ti in 30 games or so, right?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't they also have better performing rtx hardware inside them compared to the 3000 series?

(not saying that you are wrong, but maybe they are worthy for rtx nutjobs)
We will see how these garbo cards perform in RT versus AD102 3080'12G and 3090s.
It would have to be a sizeable beating to make sense. (Its already not looking good).
Cuz you can get a 3080'12G for a decent price and even 3090/Tis are going for around 700 dollars.........if the 4080'12G performs similarly or worse for 1000 dollars (no FE remember).
Its basically DOA versus just getting an Ampere card.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I do agree with you. This entire 4080 line is like xx70 and xx60ti in past generations. Nvidia fucking it up hard this time.
And these are all DLSS 3.0 benchmarks. The native rasterization performance is very likely worse.

I bet the real reason why they didnt enable DLSS 3.0 on 30 series cards is so that these graphs wouldnt show the 3090 outperforming the 4080 cards.

GymWolf

We will see how these garbo cards perform in RT versus AD102 3080'12G and 3090s.
It would have to be a sizeable beating to make sense. (Its already not looking good).
Cuz you can get a 3080'12G for a decent price and even 3090/Tis are going for around 700 dollars.........if the 4080'12G performs similarly or worse for 1000 dollars (no FE remember).
Its basically DOA versus just getting an Ampere card.
Maybe in US, in europe you still have to spend around 1200-1300 euros for a decent 3090ti, unless you go with brands like manli or worse.

700 dollars? dafuq dude, buy 2 of them :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
4080 is a 4070 and the fact that they are labeling it as a 4080 is absolutely disgusting. Hopefully they have a lawsuit in their near future for misleading their consumer base.

They've done it before with the 1060 (and 660 to a lesser extent) and nothing happened.

Fredrik

Fucking lol at people thinking that a 4090 is overkill for gaming...
I think most just think it’s overpriced and possibly not needed right now.

But with A Plague Tale already dropping below 60fps without dlss on the 4080 it looks like 4090 is the one to get. And I’ve payed more for guitars so for me it all depends how important I think my PC gaming hobby is. Right this moment I’m thinking like this:
I just built a new PC and sitting on the old graphics card is so anticlimactic, so if I would find a 4090 I could fit and cool well in my case I would buy it.

//DEVIL//

But with A Plague Tale already dropping below 60fps without dlss on the 4080 it looks like 4090 is the one to get. And I’ve payed more for guitars so for me it all depends how important I think my PC gaming hobby is. Right this moment I’m thinking like this:
I just built a new PC and sitting on the old graphics card is so anticlimactic, so if I would find a 4090 I could fit and cool well in my case I would buy it.
But honestly it’s not overpriced though for what it can do. Compare that to the 3090 ? That was over priced .

The 100$ between the 3090 and 4090 over 2 years of Covid and inflation .. kinda reasonable .. sucks but reasonable . I mean even Sony increased the price of their ps5 and that never happened on the life of any console. At least nvidia will stick to its price no matter what inflation happens ( they didn’t go up in price in the FE cards during Covid and insane gpu shortages )

GymWolf

My case is different, i have to make a new build from zero basically so it's not just the price of the gpu that i have to keep an eye on...also recession is coming :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm already moving today for the ssd since it's prime day but i need some advice in the pc build topic.

Last edited:

Reallink

As expected from the core count and bandwidth, both of them are terrible and comically overpriced. 16GB trading blows with 3090's and 12GB trading blows with 3080. Gotta hand it to Nvidia though, releasing such obvious duffs was a brilliant plan to double the MSRP of the real 4080 (the 4090) and sell many dozens of times the numbers they would have otherwise. They have successfully normalized the $1600 mainstream enthusiast GPU by making the only alternatives dog shit.

Like RT and DLSS 1.0 with the 2XXX's, DLSS3 will take years to mature and is never going to be a selling point for these cards. It's a nice bonus at best, there's no way they legitimately believe interpolated frame rates supported by all of 3 games is going to move $1000+ cards en masse. If the surplus is real, they're going to wind up having to drop 3XXX prices by another $200-$300 to move them all, and by extension these 4080's down to like $600-800. Absolutely no one should be buying these things at these prices, full stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Fredrik

But honestly it’s not overpriced though for what it can do. Compare that to the 3090 ? That was over priced .

The 100$ between the 3090 and 4090 over 2 years of Covid and inflation .. kinda reasonable .. sucks but reasonable . I mean even Sony increased the price of their ps5 and that never happened on the life of any console. At least nvidia will stick to its price no matter what inflation happens ( they didn’t go up in price in the FE cards during Covid and insane gpu shortages )
Fair enough.
However, I’m thinking this way; the price boost is about the same as the performance boost, but it’s still insanely expensive and might not be needed. If you can accept to use dlss you can go much lower. I can run Cyberpunk at about 65fps on a 3070ti in 1440p if I use dlss performance. Without dlss it’s about the same as N64 OoT..

DaGwaphics

4080 is a 4070 and the fact that they are labeling it as a 4080 is absolutely disgusting. Hopefully they have a lawsuit in their near future for misleading their consumer base.

I completely ignore the #s and IDs they assign to the cards. I judge them all by price point, what was $x getting me 2yrs ago, what is $x getting me now (although for me personally it's more like 4yrs, so I make it a bit easier for them). It's possible that whatever they release as the 70 series part will be priced like a 3080, so that's really the comparison you have to make.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned

The 100$ between the 3090 and 4090 over 2 years of Covid and inflation .. kinda reasonable .. sucks but reasonable .
Are you mad? The 3090 got its pricesticker amidst the height of the mining boom. That thing was at least 600 bucks over what it should have been....
A price isn't suddenly "reasonable" just for not looking crazy next to another completely unreasonably priced piece of hardware....
That's like rationalising the price of a Ferrari because the Bentley isn't thaaat far off anyways.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom