• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA says cryptocurrencies add nothing to the society

winjer

Gold Member

Micheal Kagan, NVIDIA Chief Technology Officer said that cryptocurrencies do not bring anything useful to the society, reports The Guardian. There is a better use for all that processing power, such as artificial intelligence, as the company is now focusing its data-center business on LLM (Large Language Model) AI tech, he adds.

In 2021, NVIDIA made its first attempt to stop the cryptocurrency boom impacting the RTX 30 GPU series. A new variant of RTX 3060 GPU was released featuring “Lite Hash Rate” technology which was said to reduce the mining efficiency. This technology was later added to the rest of the RTX 30 GPU series with some exceptions. However, just a couple of months later, cryptomining software developers were partially able to overcome the limitations of the LHR algorithm, and slowly unlocking full mining performance a year later.
In 2022, NVIDIA was forced to pay 5.5 million dollars as part of the settlement with the SEC (U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) because they did not inform the investors on how mining impacts the GPU demand. Furthermore, according to the SEC filing, NVIDIA was aware of cryptocurrency mining driving part of their business and even claims that NVIDIA senior management wanted to go after the crypto mining market, as reported by CNBC.

The last cryptoboom had a massive impact on the GPU market. With GPU prices skyrocketing (and unfortunately remaining) at unimaginable levels. It may take months if not years before GPUs return to normal prices, if that is going to happen at all.

Good to see NVidia denouncing mining for the uselessness that it is for the world.
Although a bit hypocritical, considering how much money they made during the mining boom.
And that they are still trying to push the exorbitant prices of that era, to regular gamers.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Puscifer

Nvidia is still stuck on the denial stage of grief.
Cant wait for the bargaining one.
I'm sorry but they can also go screw themselves, we knew cards like the 4080/4090 existed when suddenly they spun up one last farm before it became useless.

What they mean to say is "We lost the ability to eat off this ourselves after fleecing millions of people out of their COVID checks and desperation to make money in a time of uncertainty and without AI enterprise customers buying our 4080s/4090s for cheap processing we'd be fucked"

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Good to see NVidia denouncing mining for the uselessness that it is for the world.
Although a bit hypocritical, considering how much money they made during the mining boom.
And that they are still trying to push the exorbitant prices of that era, to regular gamers.

Despite me having an Nvidia GPU in my rig, fuck Nvidia. Fuck this company and fuck me for chasing stupid shit during covid.

Ownage

My GTX 970 and my i7 4770 are still flexing all over those 2015 games. I built that rig then, and it's still bulletproof now.

Why pay moar?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Didn’t they sell cards for mining crypto.
No they sold cards. They are not responsible for what people to with them and they don't have to support it. That's like saying a car maker supports human trafficking because their vans are favorited by perverts and weirdos.

Once the product is in the consumers hands it is out of theirs. Though I am sure their stock holders was very happy with the outcome. (I was)

SJRB

Gold Member
"Crypto is trash," says company that made billions of dollars on crypto.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
No they sold cards. They are not responsible for what people to with them and they don't have to support it. That's like saying a car maker supports human trafficking because their vans are favorited by perverts and weirdos.

Once the product is in the consumers hands it is out of theirs. Though I am sure their stock holders was very happy with the outcome. (I was)

Right in the tag from their website:

NVIDIA Cmp Hx
Dedicated GPU for Professional Mining​

Top Bottom