• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia says falling GPU prices are ‘a story of the past’

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
GPUs are hitting diminishing returns fast and it seems like Nvidia is compensating lower sales with higher prices. The last GPU-intensive game we had was Cyberpunk in 2020 and there doesn't seem to be many more heavy hitters on the horizon really. Nvidia is probably sweating realizing that there comes a point where a faster GPU doesn't really have much more benefits to what's already out there.

And virtually every game will be developed with a PS5 and Series X in mind, if you already own a 3080/3080ti/3090 why would you even upgrade? What game is going to take your 4090 to the cleaners? Unless you want to play cyberpunk at 100+ fps in 4k, but the people that wanna do that are a minuscule portion of the market.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After being completely on board I'm going to deffo hold out for what I feel is a deal or a 4090 Ti but I imagine that will be a year away at least?

Crayon

And virtually every game will be developed with a PS5 and Series X in mind, if you already own a 3080/3080ti/3090 why would you even upgrade? What game is going to take your 4090 to the cleaners? Unless you want to play cyberpunk at 100+ fps in 4k, but the people that wanna do that are a minuscule portion of the market.

So far it's just edge cases like that. Multi monitot, very high refesh, vr mods, things like that.

Prices WILL continue to call.

Basic economics.
calling homer simpson GIF

Crayon

I'm not necessarily feeling priced out. 2 years into the console cycle, I should be able to get a new card for 400 bucks that will be a little ahead of them in performance. Possibly far ahead for Ray tracing in particular.

400 might be a little steep for that depending on how you look at it, but it's not like I have any use at all for one of these $900 cards that outstrip consoles so dramatically.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm not necessarily feeling priced out. 2 years into the console cycle, I should be able to get a new card for 400 bucks that will be a little ahead of them in performance. Possibly far ahead for Ray tracing in particular.

400 might be a little steep for that depending on how you look at it, but it's not like I have any use at all for one of these $900 cards that outstrip consoles so dramatically.
Yeah I'm just waiting for a 6800xt to drop below $500. They can be had for approx $550, so it shouldn't be long.

Crayon

Yeah I'm just waiting for a 6800xt to drop below $500. They can be had for approx $550, so it shouldn't be long.

Yeah that would be a great deal. For my needs, a 6700xt for around $300 would do the trick. I am very interested in better rt performance but that just may stay in the realm of much more expensive cards unless the 7600xt really kicks ass. It's alright, tho. Looking at the current state of RT in games, it's still maturing so if I can't afford to jump on board atm I can live with that.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Nvidia can go suck a wet asshole. I swear these greedy bastards need a reality check. The problem is people do not speak with their wallet. Same way Madden or Call of duty does not change. People complain and moan but at the end of the day those same people buy it. Stop spending your Dollars on this highway robbery and they will have no choice but to listen to their customer. If they sell out they have no reason to lower prices.

Denton

If I didn't already have 2080Ti (for four years) and was in the market for GPU, I would just get second hand RTX 3070 for 350 bucks and be done with it. Still faster than what's in consoles, has DLSS.. so it will cover the gen well enough.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nvidia - falling GPU prices are a thing of the past
AMD - slashes MSRP of 6000 series GPU's.
It's a promising sign that AMD aren't trying to prop up prices of their existing cards. Means we may see cheaper cards from AMD.

Fredrik

I wonder if he thinks he looks badass, always wearing that boomer leather jacket 🤔
I wonder if it’s an AI. There was a clip about AI in the presentation where he was scanned in 360 degrees and then had shoulder length gray hair. 🤔 Easy thought is of course that he just cut his hair for this presentation, but that’s so boring so I’ll ignore those thoughts.

Last edited:

Fredrik

lol that's not even the tip of the iceberg, go watch the latest video of tech jesus about the third parties 4000 series.
Yeah it’s relatively tame tbh, at least where I’m at it’s phonetically perfect for how you say ”supreme”, and it’s short. Some partner cards has hilariously long and strange names.

Last edited:
Top Bottom