• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles

At their recent GTC China 2019 conference, NVIDIA's CEO, Jensen Huang, showcased that their GeForce RTX GPUs are much faster than the next-generation consoles which include the Xbox Series X and the PlayStation 5.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles
During the presentation, NVIDIA's CEO showcased a slide that compared an older Maxwell-based gaming laptop with GeForce GTX GPU to a new Turing-based gaming laptop featuring the GeForce RTX GPU. The specific point of comparing the two laptops was to showcase the Max-Q technology which has revolutionized the laptop gaming market, offering discrete GPU levels of performance at a fraction of the power budget, delivering higher battery times and portability that previously was not possible on older gaming notebooks.

The slide compares a Lenovo Y900 Gaming laptop with GeForce GTX 980M to a newer Lenovo Y740 Gaming laptop that is equipped with a GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q graphics chip. In the slide, aside from just listing down and comparing the dimensions and weight of the two laptops, NVIDIA stated that the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q powered gaming notebook is faster than the next-gen consoles that are expected to debut next year in 2020.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Faster-Than-Next-Gen-Consoles.png

The entire GTC 2019 presentation along with the specific slide comparing the two notebooks could be seen in the video below (21:11 mark):

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced their latest gaming consoles, the Xbox Series X. Featuring much better specifications than the Xbox One X and driving up to 4K 60 FPS with the possibility of 120 FPS in a select number of titles and enabling three key features, Variable Refresh Rate, 8K, and support for hardware-accelerated ray-tracing. The console will be powered by AMD's RDNA GPU & Zen 2 CPU cores with the exact specifications currently unknown but the Navi GPU featured on the Xbox Series X console is said to be the fastest of any Navi GPU shipping today, including the $400 US, Radeon RX 5700 XT which is currently AMD's fastest Navi based graphics card. The said card is also missing hardware-accelerated ray tracing which is a feature to be added in its second iteration known as RDNA 2.

AMD-RDNA-GPU-Architecture-For-Navi-Radeon-RX-5700-Series_11.jpg

AMD-RDNA-GPU-Architecture-For-Navi-Radeon-RX-5700-Series_12.png

The GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q is the best of the best mobility GPU that you can find in a gaming notebook. The non-Max-Q variant is even faster but you don't get the portability of the Max-Q variant with that GPU due to its higher power input and thermal requirement. In terms of GPU performance, if the next-generation consoles are powerful than the Radeon RX 5700 XT, then it would also mean that they are powerful than the GeForce RTX 2070 which is almost on par with the Radeon RX 5700 XT. The RTX 2070 SUPER is much faster and ends up on par with the RTX 2080 (non-SUPER) so that's why I didn't compare that card.

Now NVIDIA was fast to hit back the console market because not only has the console market been a primary rival for them for ages since NVIDIA started offering their own mainstream and high-end solutions in the notebook market, but the underlying chip architecture found on these consoles is made by their biggest competitor in the graphics market, AMD. Also, NVIDIA was the first to GPU-accelerated ray tracing for the mainstream and enthusiast segment with their GeForce RTX lineup which launched back in 2018.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX_Jensen-Huang_CEO_1-scaled.jpg

Since then, NVIDIA has refined the quality of ray tracing and feature sets such as DLSS and in several titles while AMD's first show in the ray-tracing era has yet to be publicly demonstrated.

NVIDIA states that notebook gaming is one of the fastest-growing markets and is even growing at a faster rate than the desktop segment. Jensen stated that there are currently a total of 200 million active gamers around the globe who are running NVIDIA GeForce GPUs, & while most of them are desktop users, the notebook segment is increasing every day.

It will be interesting to see AMD's ray tracing in action on the new RDNA GPU powered next-generation consoles but in terms of raw GPU performance, desktop discrete graphics cards such as even AMD's own enthusiast lineup which comes out next year would be much faster. With all of that said, by the time the next-gen consoles launch, NVIDIA would be releasing their first 7nm GPUs which are expected to bring a huge update in terms of overall performance, including ray-tracing specific enhancements so stay tuned for those too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I bet you they won't be able to "brute force" with such gains like they did this past gen.

Regardless, you want the baseline to be as high as it can be next-gen, that way the $1200 cards you buy can be utilized more, rather than just be a "brute force" investment.

No shit.

Anyone who thinks a $400-500 box can go toe to toe with a high end GPU is out of their mind.
This right here. It's crazy, every Gen you so console only people spouting how x console will beat pc. They don't seem to realize that a top of the line gpu will be 2-3 the cost of an all in one box. Of course a $400 console won't beat that. They can leverage optimisation and tricks due to standardized hardware though. It's why they can leverage a lot of the gap. Or hybrid consoles like the ps3 which had specialized cpu to offset gpu work. In raw performance numbers consoles will never come close. As soon as they are released the next crop of gpus will be on the market.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
did people really think next gen would be more powerful? lol i swear, console owners have no idea wtf is going on.

"ps5 will be make the 2080 outdated!"

"next gen consoles will be more powerful than PC!!"

"omg can't wait for SSD!!!!!!!"

lol. by the time next gen consoles come out they will be severely outdated. on PC we'll be on 12-16 core cpus, 32-64GB ram, and vastly more powerful GPUs.

Last edited:

Romulus

The 780ti was 277% higher tflop than ps4, but now the 2080ti will be around 116% higher than ps5... slow clap.

But CPU gap is less too. 2013 Jaguar versus gaming PCs was like comparing a Honda accord to a Ferrari. At least now consoles have a mustang level cpu to go against the Ferrari.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Shocked.

Of course consoles won’t have top RTX power but it will probably beat RTX 2060 and RTX 2070.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Shocked.

Of course consoles won’t have top RTX power but it will probably beat RTX 2060 and RTX 2070.

And of course the 3xxxx GPUs are supposed to come out next year and word is there will be a massive jump.

And for all this talk of RDNA2 and such, AMD's GPU performance has been disappointing for a long ass time. These should be nice machines and all, but I think everyone is getting set up for disappointment.

Personally I still think the best looking ps4 exclusives look better than any of the best pc games.

Sure some pc games have some elements that look better. Better IQ and resolution and better AA. RDR2 may just be the best looking game out there but having seen both I still put Horizon, Spider-Man & God of War up there with those top end games.

I do also believe that the next gen consoles are going to do a huge amount of amazing shit with the memory streaming of the SSD that Pc’s simply won’t be able to do due to the simple fact of the lowest common denominator. Maybe that will transfer over into some necessity of NVME SSD for required specs but even then I can’t see a PC being as refined as they will on the next gen consoles.

Sure bit for bit the RTX cards are incredibly powerful and do an amazing job but you just can’t beat the streamlining of architecture on the consoles.

mckmas8808

Banned
did people really think next gen would be more powerful? lol i swear, console owners have no idea wtf is going on.

lol. by the time next gen consoles come out they will be severely outdated. on PC we'll be on 12-16 core cpus, 32-64GB ram, and vastly more powerful GPUs.

And it'll only cost you $2,000 too. OOOOOHHHH!!!!

I call bullshit.

Their benchmarks prove that will be a lie.

Next gen consoles have been benchmarked?!

Seriously though, it makes no sense for Nvidia to even be saying this before the next gen specs are even truly revealed - like why even bother talking about this now? Not to mention, I hope that an RTX2080 in a computer that makes the total package likely close to 3 times the price of the next gen consoles will be more powerful than them. If not, then that would be a problem.

I always find this weird, as the target audiences for each of these is very different - unless they are talking to the weirdos like myself that will buy the consoles AND have a powerful gaming PC - but why talk to me about it at all since I will buy both a console and high-end GPUs. I just don't get it.

Great Hair

Banned
and ~2 years earlier too.

By the time next-gen finally launches there will be even more powerful GPUs out and console levels of performance will have come down a bit in price as well...

Irrelevant. The card will have the same price tag come 2020. It does not matter, when it launched. What matter are the price, TDP, die and the volume of the whole PC with 40 Liters compared to the XSX at 8L or current PS4pro at 5L.

TDP:$$$:fps

The consoles like PS4 Pro, XBX win hands down, even at "Fake 4K and proper 4K"

Last edited:

Moses85

IDGAF

I want my Sony exclusives which aren’t available on PC. This is the reason for me to buy a console.

For Multigames / PC exclusives I will built a PC in March to enjoy HL-Alyx

Leonidas

Irrelevant.

It's completely relevant. You can't buy a next-gen console today. RTX came out last year. You have to wait another year for next-gen consoles.

How much would "next-gen" cost if it came out last year like RTX? AMD still doesn't have hardware ray tracing on PC...

The beauty of RTX is the fact that you could build a PC in 2018 that is more powerful than 2020 consoles.

In late 2020, when consoles launch, we'll be talking about a different series of cards. RTX 20-series will be over two years old by then...

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
They haven't announced what is going to be in the next gen consoles, have they? Just an extremely vague 'twice the power'.
"So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an xbox x is."

Notice Phil Spencer said power, not game performance. GPU "power" metric is always refered to FLOPS and that's the only thing you can add. Architecture gains are hard to measure (gains will look different in all games), and on top of that you dont even know how RDNA2 architecture gains (on average) looks like, because RDNA2 GPU's with HW RT arnt even out yet. Do you think Phil would ask people to do the math without any reference? 😉

So there's no doubt Phil was talking about FLOPS, and when we do the math:

6TF (xbox x) x 2 = 12TF
1.4TF (xbox one s) x 8 = 11.2TF

It fits perfectly, because 12TF is exaxtly 2x more than 6TF, and exactly over 8x times 1.4TF.

MS aims at 12TF, but dont expect Phil to tell you exact TF numbers in details 1 year before launch, because these numbers probably arnt set in stone yet (some minimal tweaks will happen for sure). I'm guessing it will be anywhere from 12TF to 12.9TF.

If you misunderstood what Phil Spencer has said then Windows Central (you cant ask for more legit site, these guys have contacts with MS) has wrote detailed specification few days before xbox SX reaveal. 12TF is pretty much confirmed at this point if you only dont ignore facts standing in front of you. Even Digital Foundry no longer expect 8-9TF, but 12TF.

Leaks suggest XSX GPU has 52 CUs (3328 SP) clocked around 1.8GHz. I dont know how big 3328 SP chip must be, but I do know RX5700 XT (40CUs) is very small 252mm2 compared to lets say 2080ti (754mm2) or even RTX 2080 (545mm2), so it's not like 52CU's Radeon would be extremely big, and especially if you consider improved 7nm+ node that next gen consoles will probably use. On top of that RDNA2 GPU architecture according to leaks will be even more power efficient. Man, if first gen navi 5700XT 9.7TF already match 2070, then with 2TF more it should EASILY match 2080 super if not surpass it (RDNA2 architecture may offer bigger gains as well). Of course I'm talking about rasterization performance only, because maybe HW RT performance in AMD GPU's will be slower even compared to RTX 2060.

Last edited:
Lines up with my prediction that next-gen will be about on par with a 2060 Super.
An Rx 5700 xt esc + rt
Next gen consoles have been benchmarked?!

Seriously though, it makes no sense for Nvidia to even be saying this before the next gen specs are even truly revealed - like why even bother talking about this now? Not to mention, I hope that an RTX2080 in a computer that makes the total package likely close to 3 times the price of the next gen consoles will be more powerful than them. If not, then that would be a problem.

I always find this weird, as the target audiences for each of these is very different - unless they are talking to the weirdos like myself that will buy the consoles AND have a powerful gaming PC - but why talk to me about it at all since I will buy both a console and high-end GPUs. I just don't get it.
Well they probably know what next gen gpu capacity is otherwise they wont be stating that, why even bother ? I mean its a competition.
RTX 2060 or slightly better sounds about right for next gen console performance.
Yep a safe bet.
Ah, good to know my 2080Ti will pick the PS5 up by its thong and flick it out the window.
What where you thinking ?

Top Bottom