• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles

VFXVeteran

Banned
I bet you they won't be able to "brute force" with such gains like they did this past gen.

Regardless, you want the baseline to be as high as it can be next-gen, that way the $1200 cards you buy can be utilized more, rather than just be a "brute force" investment.

They will.. especially if the rendering engine is using a lot of RTX.

Again, I think multiplat devs are using PC as base anyway. They aren't building low-end assets just for lower powered graphics chips.

VFXVeteran

Banned
No shit.

Anyone who thinks a $400-500 box can go toe to toe with a high end GPU is out of their mind.

oh but they can.. even some developers here on the boards think they can use low-level API to access the secret black void of infinite power + infinite memory of a console. I haven't seen it in a game yet, but it must be there somewhere..

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Personally I still think the best looking ps4 exclusives look better than any of the best pc games.

Subjective artistic opinion. Fair enough.

Wait till you see the PS exlusives get compared to the PC ports of those exclusives.

You can start your comparison with Detroit. PC version is better in every single aspect of the rendering pipeline.

There will be more exclusives to compare next year too so we can actually challenge the 1st party only titles never seen on the PC platform.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It doesn't matter. I have rtx 2070 which is WAY more powerful than ps4... but we don't have uncharted 4 or god of war graphics. Also - no matter how powerful rtx 2080 is - can it play bloodborne ? :messenger_poop:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It doesn't matter. I have rtx 2070 which is WAY more powerful than ps4... but we don't have uncharted 4 or god of war graphics. Also - no matter how powerful rtx 2080 is - can it play bloodborne ? :messenger_poop:

Might not play BB.. but it will play some other exclusives that you'll love seeing.. Just saying..

SantaC

How about showing the 3000 series and stop bragging about the old and overpriced 2000 series.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
This constant neverending graphic talk from Nvidia is getting boring

Bet only a very tiny fraction of gamers are interested with having a $1200 graphic cards

Currently playing octopath traveler on nintendo switch and coulndt really care about this graphic war

Im having more fun playing game like this than graphical bechmark game like batlefield, crysis etc

Last edited:

SantaC

This constant neverending graphic talk from Nvidia is getting boring

Bet only a very tiny fraction of gamers are interested with having a $1200 graphic cards

Currently playing octopath traveler on nintendo switch and coulndt really care about this graphic war
The problem is that AMD refuses to compete in the high-end area.

MCplayer

At their recent GTC China 2019 conference, NVIDIA's CEO, Jensen Huang, showcased that their GeForce RTX GPUs are much faster than the next-generation consoles which include the Xbox Series X and the PlayStation 5.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles
During the presentation, NVIDIA's CEO showcased a slide that compared an older Maxwell-based gaming laptop with GeForce GTX GPU to a new Turing-based gaming laptop featuring the GeForce RTX GPU. The specific point of comparing the two laptops was to showcase the Max-Q technology which has revolutionized the laptop gaming market, offering discrete GPU levels of performance at a fraction of the power budget, delivering higher battery times and portability that previously was not possible on older gaming notebooks.

The slide compares a Lenovo Y900 Gaming laptop with GeForce GTX 980M to a newer Lenovo Y740 Gaming laptop that is equipped with a GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q graphics chip. In the slide, aside from just listing down and comparing the dimensions and weight of the two laptops, NVIDIA stated that the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q powered gaming notebook is faster than the next-gen consoles that are expected to debut next year in 2020.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Faster-Than-Next-Gen-Consoles.png

oh wow great to see a lenovo legion y740! Just bought one last week with the rtx 2070 max q, can't wait to try it out!

Airbus Jr

Banned

I think they will compete they re just not interested making a card that have the extra 5-10% perfomance advantage by making a much more expensive product

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
It's no secret that nvdia's gpu will be stronger. Next gen consoles have a locked in, fixed specs and a process node for a while. We also know that nvdia wasn't thrilled about sony and MS choosing AMD for the console processors since 2013.

plasmasd

The problem is TDP . These next gen consoles will be under 200w (unless we get a pro from the start?). You won't get better than 2080 desktop performance no matter the cost with that little power right now. If AMD could sell an APU that could do that right now they certainly would. Maybe 400w with a dgpu and split pool of ram in late 2020 and you'd see AMD matching Nvidia's 3080(2080ti) performance in a console. Base next gen will certainly be better than a 2080 Max-Q

Doesn't really matter, current gen refresh consoles look fine still outside of poor CPU performance. Would be nice to get next gen with current gen graphics at a full 4k 60. This gen was by far the least interesting hardware wise. Might as well just have Sony and MS consoles have interchangeable games and have MS release a locked down XBX OS for PC. Console wars are no fun when you are basically running the same APU. Not that Apple would ever want to compete in the console market, but I bet they could make far better use of 200w with their ARM processors.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The problem is TDP . These next gen consoles will be under 200w (unless we get a pro from the start?). You won't get better than 2080 desktop performance no matter the cost with that little power right now. If AMD could sell an APU that could do that right now they certainly would. Maybe 400w with a dgpu and split pool of ram in late 2020 and you'd see AMD matching Nvidia's 3080(2080ti) performance in a console. Base next gen will certainly be better than a 2080 Max-Q

Doesn't really matter, current gen refresh consoles look fine still outside of poor CPU performance. Would be nice to get next gen with current gen graphics at a full 4k 60. This gen was by far the least interesting hardware wise. Might as well just have Sony and MS consoles have interchangeable games and have MS release a locked down XBX OS for PC. Console wars are no fun when you are basically running the same APU. Not that Apple would ever want to compete in the console market, but I bet they could make far better use of 200w with their ARM processors.

No they won't why do you think MS designed the series X box like that? It was to cool a hell of a lot more than project scorpio. These will push closer to 300 total watts. These are not using cheap netbook CPU and low end GPUs. These will be from all legitimate sources north of 12tf. That will take a ton of thermals. Plus 16-24 gigs of High speed ram.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I don't expect consoles to beat thousand dollar GPUs.

What counts is real world performance.
A console computationally equal to a PC is likely to run games smoother. Developers know everyone's hardware is the same and can double down on getting the most out of it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can your PS4 play RDR2 at 60fps? can your PS4 play at 144hz?

They will release cards competing with 2080/S and maybe 2080ti while Nv will slaughter them with 3xxx series.
you do know AMD have cards that compete with the 2080, right?

5700 XT vs RTX 2080 - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2514?vs=2522

When AMD released that card that's what pushed Nvidia to release the Super variant. the 5700XT isn't as powerful as a 2080 S but it is quite close and cheaper.

the only card AMD can't compete with is the 2080 Ti.

but yes, by the time AMD release any new cards then Nvidia will just release the 3xxx series and AMD will be playing catch up once again.

I will return to this thread as soon as microsoft reveals the specification. We'll see how much will be left of nvidia's bragging. :lollipop_smirking:
Don't bother. Can settle that right now.

8 cores CPU. 13GB RAM for games. 12TF GPU.

that 13GB is for both CPU/GPU so Nvidia wins because they have cards with 6-24GB VRAM. for example, my 2080 has 8GB. my PC has 32GB RAM. = PC/nvidia wins

12TF gpu. the 2080 Ti is 13.4TF. = Nvidia wins. by the time next gen consoles come out nvidia will have new cards and the 2080 Ti will probably be about the same performance as a "3070" so the "3080" and "3080 Ti" will wipe the floor with the GPU in Xbox.

Last edited:

FireFly

They will release cards competing with 2080/S and maybe 2080ti while Nv will slaughter them with 3xxx series.
I guess we will see, but I think they have the die space to double performance of the 5700 XT, since this was only 251 mm^2, and the 7nm+ process would give them a density improvement.

Venom Snake

Gold Member

that 13GB is for both CPU/GPU so Nvidia wins because they have cards with 6-24GB VRAM. for example, my 2080 has 8GB. my PC has 32GB RAM. = PC/nvidia wins

12TF gpu. the 2080 Ti is 13.4TF. = Nvidia wins. by the time next gen consoles come out nvidia will have new cards and the 2080 Ti will probably be about the same performance as a "3070" so the "3080" and "3080 Ti" will wipe the floor with the GPU in Xbox.

The slide says "RTX2080 MaxQ>next-gen console". I am referring to this particular statement, because if they mean Lokhart (assuming that it exists), a low-budget version of the new generation console, then comparing this with a laptop for over 2k usd is slightly embarrassing.

As for the more powerful version, I don't count on RTX2080 performance, the console's role is not to race against high-end pc's, but to provide a reasonable compromise between the required performance and a relatively low price. Until recently, nobody wanted to believe that consoles could have ray tracing, ssd, and RTX2070 + performance. Under these circumstances, the lack of 40GB of memory is not even a bit worrying or embarrassing.

But as for the nvidia slides ... :messenger_smirking:

DavidGzz

Any estimates on how much you'd have to spend on a prebuilt PC today to have equivalent power to XSX and PS5? Asking about prebuilt cause I'll never make my own. I also would love a small form factor for mobility.

molly14

who cares if it more powerful.We are reaching diminishing returns now.Im playing gt sport on pro and think it looks amazing.The ps5 will be twice as powerful so I can’t imsgine how the next gt sport will look like.Can you play it on RTX gpu nividia ?

molly14

can your PS4 play RDR2 at 60fps? can your PS4 play at 144hz?

you do know AMD have cards that compete with the 2080, right?

5700 XT vs RTX 2080 - https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2514?vs=2522

When AMD released that card that's what pushed Nvidia to release the Super variant. the 5700XT isn't as powerful as a 2080 S but it is quite close and cheaper.

the only card AMD can't compete with is the 2080 Ti.

but yes, by the time AMD release any new cards then Nvidia will just release the 3xxx series and AMD will be playing catch up once again.

not for 500 dollars ,which is around the cost of the new consoles.,,so your point is irrelevant

Last edited:

Esppiral

Obvious things are obvious, was anyone really expecting next gen consoles to be more powerful than a RTX 2080? Lol

Banned
Obvious things are obvious, was anyone really expecting next gen consoles to be more powerful than a RTX 2080? Lol

in the video he is comparing a laptop version which is way less powerful to next gen consoles.

so yes, it could easily be that at least the Xbox can beat that.

Sushen

did people really think next gen would be more powerful? lol i swear, console owners have no idea wtf is going on.

"ps5 will be make the 2080 outdated!"

"next gen consoles will be more powerful than PC!!"

"omg can't wait for SSD!!!!!!!"

lol. by the time next gen consoles come out they will be severely outdated. on PC we'll be on 12-16 core cpus, 32-64GB ram, and vastly more powerful GPUs.
Enjoy your numbers. It's real fun to play.

Techies

you forgot (XT)

it will be less by 1$/50$/100$/150$.

Nah, end of next year equals inflation so +7 to 10% automatically if your thinking $500 range. Still just a guestimate.. Everyone is aiming for 7nm Technology, that's all I know.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Add also other tasks on computers like video encoding, 3D animation, CAD, image processing etc that add up extra cost. No need to add all this extra code to consoles.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
A lot of people are struggling reading the OP with nVidia’s typical convoluted shit talking.

At this stage, I don't know what is more amazing: nvidia's slides or the art of selective reading. :messenger_smiling:
But measuring dicks is something I can understand. What I can't understand is that someone from NVIDIA looked at this slide and thought "hmm, it's not cringy at all". I mean, it's not like we already know the full specifications of new consoles and we can treat it as a sensible reference point when selling already existing products. Someone will say it's marketing, I say it's a fuck up.

Normally I would not refer to such a triviality, but since there are already whole threads about it, I add my two cents. :pie_wfwt:

Ascend

That's not really the problem. The problem is that mainstream graphics cards now cost over $300 instead of over $150, thanks to nVidia's price gouging, enabled by blind consumerism.
AMD must pick their battles right now, due to their limited budget, especially for R&D. Flagship cards is not where the bulk of the money is, so, AMD stays clear of it. They are much better off within the $200 - $500 range, and that is what they've been doing since Polaris was first released.
Now that RDNA is here, which has proven itself as an architecture in terms of performance, they'll tackle the power consumption with RDNA2, and then go for the big guns.

People love to talk about the high-end as if it's a must to release such a card. It really isn't. It's all for online bragging rights and nothing else. If the Steam hardware survey is anything to go by, this is how things look right now;

The most popular card: GTX 1060 at 14.64%
The most popular RTX card: RTX 2060 at 1.95%

What does that tell you?

Even worse, AMD has an uphill battle, simply because people blindly go for nVidia. Look at this;
Second most popular card overall: GTX 1050 Ti at 9.10%
Third most popular card overall: GTX 1050 at 5.18%
Most popular AMD card: RX 580 at 1.54%
Second most popular AMD card: RX 570 at 0.79%

All the ones that bought a GTX 1050(Ti) are basically retards for not going with the RX 570 instead. The 5700XT, arguably the best card for the money right now, is a mere 0.22%, while the RTX 2060 SUPER is 0.25% and the RTX 2070 SUPER is 0.42%. It's easy to blame AMD (or nVidia for that matter) for the current market situation. The truth is that it's the consumer's fault. They gobble up whatever nVidia throws out. When AMD is competitive, they go for the now relatively lower prices for nVidia cards, rather than supporting the company that caused those lower prices. And then people wonder why AMD ditched them at the high end. If I was in charge of AMD I'd ditch making graphics cards for the desktop altogether. Let them choke on the green they love to swallow so much.
/rant

As for the whole RTX faster than consoles thing... nVidia damage control continues... Of all things, they wouldn't want consoles to make their RTX gimmick irrelevant...

xPikYx

Well, i think if he does a statement like that is not liying, would be shameful if he was. At this point I would say next gen console will be quite disappointing. Hopefully not.
About thr nVidia vs. AMD, AMD is quite behind nVidia in technology improvement, they are behind in power/perf with a much better node (7nm against 12nml). I expect nVidia Ampere on 7nm to shred AMD RDNA2 card, unnless AMD has some secret ace to play this is it

Ascend

Well, i think if he does a statement like that is not liying, would be shameful if he was. At this point I would say next gen console will be quite disappointing. Hopefully not.
About thr nVidia vs. AMD, AMD is quite behind nVidia in technology improvement, they are behind in power/perf with a much better node (7nm against 12nml). I expect nVidia Ampere on 7nm to shred AMD RDNA2 card, unnless AMD has some secret ace to play this is it
By the time nVidia is on 7nm, AMD will most likely have moved on the 5nm EUV, especially considering the TSMC 5nm EUV yields are already over 80%...

xPikYx

By the time nVidia is on 7nm, AMD will most likely have moved on the 5nm EUV, especially considering the TSMC 5nm EUV yields are already over 80%...
It won't matter anyway, nVidia outperformed AMD with a 1+ year old technology with a much worse node (12nm vs. 7nm), it's been years people think or believe AMD will surpass nVidia and punctually it never happens and the near future looks the same. 5nn will not save AMD

Top Bottom