• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles

Ascend

It won't matter anyway, nVidia outperformed AMD with a 1+ year old technology with a much worse node (12nm vs. 7nm), it's been years people think or believe AMD will surpass nVidia and punctually it never happens and the near future looks the same. 5nn will not save AMD
Outperformed based on what? Why wasn't anyone saying that nVidia's advanced didn't matter because they still had competition from GCN, which is now an 8 year old architecture? Even Polaris was GCN, and the best cards to get under $200 are still Polaris cards...

The only real advantage Turing has over Navi is power consumption. Other than that, Navi is at least equal in everything else, and superior in a few.
  • Instructions per clock, they're similar.
  • Clock speeds, they're similar.
  • Transistor & performance ratio is similar.
  • Die size, Navi has the advantage after correcting for node size. This, is actually the most important point. Smaller chips = higher yields = better prices.

So I really don't know what you're talking about. Unless you're talking about the bragging rights for the high end. Or is it really the power consumption? Power consumption evidently only matters when it's AMD. Just like driver issues, deceiving consumers and overpricing things. There's a reason the majority of tech companies go AMD and not nVidia.

Last edited:
lol. by the time next gen consoles come out they will be severely outdated. on PC we'll be on 12-16 core cpus, 32-64GB ram, and vastly more powerful GPUs.
The vast majority of PC gamers have a 4 cores CPU, often without hypertheading... very few in therms of % upgraded in the last year or two.

Same goes for video cards, Most still run outdated hardware.

According to Steam

• ~75% of its current user base has CPUs with 4 cores of less, ~20% have 6 cores CPUs (rising very fast, I suspect that the Ryzen 5 CPUs are a hot item right now), ~4.7% have 8 cores CPUs, and ~0.15% have 12 cores CPUs.
  • The most common video cards are the 1060, 1050ti and 1050, they make up around 30% of all video cards installed right now, ALL OF THE RTX cards together don't account for more than 5% of all installed video cards.
Given what we know of the next gen consoles, it's safe to say that they will outmatch pretty much well over 90% of gaming PCs out there when they ship. They have to anyway, otherwise they will have lower specs than the Xbox One X, which appears to perform somewhere between a 1060 and a 1070 in therms of GPU) ,or they will be too close to the current generation of consoles for comfort.

So I'm not sure how they will compare to a top end gaming PC (no matter what your PC can have more storage space, more/better CPUs, a somewhat better GPU. faster ethernet, etc.). They will have to come pretty close if the next generation is to make sense at all.

But CPU gap is less too. 2013 Jaguar versus gaming PCs was like comparing a Honda accord to a Ferrari. At least now consoles have a mustang level cpu to go against the Ferrari.
And GPU resources were used in the consoles to up the frame rates that should have been handled by the CPU. What the PS4 put out, with a 1.8tflop GPU and gimped CPU, was league's above anything that came out on a PC GPU with a 1.8 tflops count.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Stop. Just stop. It's going to be 5700xt level tops and we all fucking know it. I'll give you my kidney if it beats a 2080s
We dont know how fast PS5 will be, however we do know XSX will be 12TF. 12TF RDNA2 should match 2080S but not surpass it. Also we dont know nothing about HW RT performance, and it's possible AMD implementation will be worse.

Aidah

A long article out of "> next gen console" in a list on a screen behind him, that he doesn't even mention at all nor have the camera point at.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
How one can become CEO while being retarded?

And in the same time their weak ass tegra x1 is running switch.

Maybe he have gone nuts and thinks that everyone can pay 1500€ for GPU only, so consoles should cost 3000€

plushyp

TastyRemarkableJavalina-size_restricted.gif

xool

ZywyPL

Banned
But how many games does NV make compared to Sony or MS? Oh wait... It's like bragging about 30cm dick while being a 40yo virgin to guys with average length who bang different girl every weekend.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I can't wait for the Switch pro/2 reveal powered by underpower N'vidia cards. It's gonna be epic to bring back his quotes to the conversation.

Yes, but that would be on Nintendo. They left the arms race many moons ago, and are content making profit off cheap hardware and cartoonish games. I miss the NES/SNES days. I’d do just about anything for a truely powerful Nintendo home console, with a realistic looking, gritty looking, imposing version of Hyrule.

Guess I grew up and Nintendo didnt.

The Alien

Banned
Lol. Defensive much?

Consoles that haven't officially been announced and he's threatened that his top end card will be matched by a $500 console?

The fact that he made a response makes me now believe that may be somewhat true. Lol.

Banned
Yes, but that would be on Nintendo. They left the arms race many moons ago, and are content making profit off cheap hardware and cartoonish games. I miss the NES/SNES days. I’d do just about anything for a truely powerful Nintendo home console, with a realistic looking, gritty looking, imposing version of Hyrule.

Guess I grew up and Nintendo didnt.

weird bringing up the NES when you talk about powerful Nintendo hardware...
the NES was less powerful than the Master System in every way.

and then came the PC Engine and completely destroyed it in terms of power

the NES was the weakest of the big 3 8bit systems (NES, MS, PCE)

VFXVeteran

Banned
Come on guys!

Nvidia is behind the PC tech. There is nothing wrong with that. Nvidia is the company with the better tech (GPU-wise) and since they got outted from getting considered for next-gen consoles, he's naturally going to stand behind the PC platform.

Derktron

Banned
This CEO sounds extremely desperate in trying to get into the fanboyish war that’s going on and he ONLY states the obvious to what everyone who’s been gaming for decades SHOULD know by now. PC hardware will always be advanced than console hardware. It’s the bottom line and there should be no discussion on it. This is why AMD will be victorious in the PC space and why my PC build will only be AMD hardware. Here’s hoping Nintendo drops them a few years down the line and go back to AMD. Nvidia has lost my respect.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Maybe Nvidia shouldnt have been such a terrible business partner in previous console generations. (original Xbox and PS3) Maybe they would have gotten a call from Sony or MS.

Even then I am not sure it would have mattered since AMD can offer both GPU and CPU, which makes engineering easier Im sure.

Top Bottom