• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Shows That Their GeForce RTX GPUs Are Much Faster & Powerful Than Next-Gen Consoles

Boss Mog

This is just stupid devs have said that consoles pretty much double the performance of an equivalent PC part due to being a completely closed platform. The GPU in the PS5 probably won't be as powerful as the RTX 2080 Ti on paper, I'm sure in practice it will easily surpass it. I mean when you look at this gen's PS4 exclusives, like Spiderman, God of War, The Last of US 2, Ghost of Tsushima, these games look incredible and compete with some of the best looking PC games in my opinion and they're running on what amounts to a netbook CPU paired with a low end GPU.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner must be terrible for this guy knowing the ceo of AMD sits right next to him. You know damn well he don't ask for anything that needs salt 😂😂😂

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Maybe Nvidia shouldnt have been such a terrible business partner in previous console generations. (original Xbox and PS3) Maybe they would have gotten a call from Sony or MS.

Even then I am not sure it would have mattered since AMD can offer both GPU and CPU, which makes engineering easier Im sure.

This. They really got greedy and felt that there was no way they'd(MS/ Sony) would resort to amd tech.

Hudo

This is just stupid devs have said that consoles pretty much double the performance of an equivalent PC part due to being a completely closed platform. The GPU in the PS5 probably won't be as powerful as the RTX 2080 Ti on paper, I'm sure in practice it will easily surpass it. I mean when you look at this gen's PS4 exclusives, like Spiderman, God of War, The Last of US 2, Ghost of Tsushima, these games look incredible and compete with some of the best looking PC games in my opinion and they're running on what amounts to a netbook CPU paired with a low end GPU.
This is a statement that John Carmack made like 6 years ago. Consoles have changed drastically, there's a lot more abstraction going on (hardware and software), the architectures of both PCs and consoles are converging. And, more importantly, development pipelines have become more abstract and portable. The goal with all of this is to make development easier and more portable (and as a result cheaper and faster), which is good and necessary for all third-party devs. Of course one can still optimize for certain things on a non-moving platform but even that isn't really the case anymore with Pro versions of consoles etc. I'm not even sure whether Microsoft and Sony still allow for devs to basically forgo all of the OS abstractions and give access to everything directly. Reality of development isn't really that black and white anymore. And I have to say, it also wasn't 6 years ago. As much as I respect and adore Carmack, this statement was only true for first-party devs and even that might be a stretch. Consoles today are "just" cleverly bundled stock components (GPU, CPU, RAM, Micro controllers, SSDs/HDDs, etc) that are supported with OSs that run on a Windows kernel (Xbox) or FreeBSD kernel (Sony, Nintendo).

iHaunter

No shit.

Anyone who thinks a $400-500 box can go toe to toe with a high end GPU is out of their mind.

I truly don't understand the point he was trying to make? $1300 GPU is more powerful than an entire $400-500 system? Well...yeah, not shit. It's a complete system though. You'll need another $2,000 to build a system around the card so it's not bottlnecked, not like the GPU can be used on its own.

REDRZA MWS

No i
weird bringing up the NES when you talk about powerful Nintendo hardware...
the NES was less powerful than the Master System in every way.

and then came the PC Engine and completely destroyed it in terms of power

the NES was the weakest of the big 3 8bit systems (NES, MS, PCE)

It also released before the Master system. For its time, it was powerful. Miss Sega too. The Genesis was my favorite console of all time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What's curious to me is...did Sony or Microsoft ever claim to be more powerful than Nvidia 2080? It feels like Nvidia is inserting themselves into a war that they aren't even a part of. People do that when they feel threatened.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's curious to me is...did Sony or Microsoft ever claim to be more powerful than Nvidia 2080? It feels like Nvidia is inserting themselves into a war that they aren't even a part of. People do that when they feel threatened.

No, they never did, this is what this guy does. He shit talks and sometimes it is borderline libel with how far he goes.

Last edited:

JCK75

When they deliver a card by itself with that performance for less than $500 it will matter more... saying that as someone who intends to stay primarily PC.

Lister

Banned

this is just stupid, outdated bs. No dev working on modern hardware would say this. And we have like literally thousands of digital foundry videos showing this to not be true.

console, hardware performs about the same as similar pc hardware using Modern rendering apis.

Kenpachii

Just like the Playstation 3.

Pretty sure playstation 3 wasn't a handheld. and xbox360 and xbox had far better gpu solution and actually high end hardware for its time on PC front on the GPU front. It's since they went to AMD where the performance kinda stagnated.

Fake

Pretty sure playstation 3 wasn't a handheld. and xbox360 and xbox had far better gpu solution and actually high end hardware for its time on PC front on the GPU front. It's since they went to AMD where the performance kinda stagnated.
You must be too young to forget when Jensen Huang shits Xbox 360, but ignore Playstation 3. Must be because Playstation 3 is a handheld.
I been giving hints for while

Kenpachii

You must be too young to forget when Jensen Huang shits Xbox 360, but ignore Playstation 3. Must be because Playstation 3 is a handheld.
I been giving hints for while

I have no clue what you are talking about. Your hints aren't working.

Top Bottom