• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia vs. AMD: A well-known retailer currently sees a clear winner in terms of graphics cards.

PeteBull

LOL @ "start to wonder". You do realize the CEO's of Nvidia and AMD are Uncle and Niece? And that's not a joke, they seriously are. While there is very little doubt they've engaged in some degree of explicit collusion, there is no doubt whatsoever they're engaged in tacit collusion.
That makes whole lot of sense then ^^

willothedog

LOL @ "start to wonder". You do realize the CEO's of Nvidia and AMD are Uncle and Niece? And that's not a joke, they seriously are. While there is very little doubt they've engaged in some degree of explicit collusion, there is no doubt whatsoever they're engaged in tacit collusion.

Nope. Lisa Su's grandfather is actually Jen-Hsun Huang's uncle.

No freaking way. I did NOT realize that

CGNoire

I know nvidia also have their fair share of problems, but when I read about people having issues 9 out of ten times its amd users.

I'm aware nvidia can be faulty as well. I have a 2070s that had literally none thermal paste, overheating like hell.

I have never experienced any serious driver issues though.

In my country amd are almost as expensive as nvidia, and since the price point is literally the only reason to pick amd over nvidia, it's not worth it in my country at all.

Also all the stuff nvidia makes are leagues from amd. G sync, the new rtx remix for old games etc.

I can't imagine ever change to amd because of all these benefits and QoL
Yep lack of driver issues and things just working is why I go with Intel/Nvidia every time. Shit just works.

Its not worth the anxiety for me to save that cash considering how exspensive buying a highend pc is to begin with Im not dealing with those headaches just to pinch a couple pennies.

winjer

Gold Member

That is not true. It was just a rumor that went around the internet some years ago.

Reizo Ryuu

It’s 99% just poor reputation.
Even if the reputation was good, it wouldn't matter that much, tribalism causes ppl to have ridiculous brand loyalty.
I know nvidia also have their fair share of problems, but when I read about people having issues 9 out of ten times its amd users.
Confirmation bias, my friends with nvidia have issues all the time; not a single issue for me with 15 years straight of radeon 🤷. 4850 > 6850 > 290 > vega > 6700xt

dave_d

Even if the reputation was good, it wouldn't matter that much, tribalism causes ppl to have ridiculous brand loyalty.

Confirmation bias, my friends with nvidia have issues all the time; not a single issue for me with 15 years straight of radeon 🤷. 4850 > 6850 > 290 > vega > 6700xt
I've had a mix and have had no issues either 9800pro(amd)->9600gt->6850->7850->gtx970->rtx3070. I've said this before the only reason my current PC has the 3070 is it was the first card I could get at the time at MSRP and I would have considered radeon if it weren't for the fact they were in even shorter supply than Nvidia when I was building that PC. (Late 2020->early 2021)

Buggy Loop

AMD has taken so long to jump at the OBVIOUS opportunity to seriously undercut NVIDIA in pricing that I start to wonder if they're both colluding to drive GPU prices up.

Any outsider could see the market share is there for AMD's taking. But I guess they'd rather sell to ~15% of the market at $XX profit margin per GPU vs 15-100% of the market at $XX-$XX profit margin.

Did you think this through? Because AMD clearly did and is doing the right move.

You enter a price war with Nvidia, the same kind of aggressive pricing ATI did back then that almost put them to bankruptcy. Nvidia is not even on the same level as that time anymore, AI revenu alone is basically's AMD's entire GPU/console revenu and it's skyrocketing to the point where analysts are putting them as the next trillion dollar company because AI is exploding.

And you have Intel attacking on CPU side on top of eating the GPU marketshare.

Nvidia - AMD - Intel marketshares = 85-10-5

So you basically have two giants breathing down their neck. Just waiting for AMD to eat away the already low margins these products have, to jump in and bleed them.

Add to the fact that most peoples want AMD competition, only for the prices of Nvidia to drop so they go buy Nvidia anyway. It's a lose lose situation overall for AMD.

These niche products are not where the bread and butter is and AMD realizes this. Whatever fanbase they have that will buy the likes of Vega cards blindly, they'll put the margin accordingly to get any profit out of this small market share. The epeen wars for flagship products that get ~1% share is only for forum entertainment, it doesn't make any sense financially to be aggressive on these products.
Consoles / data centers / professionals / AI is where its at.

It sucks, but this is the reality. As long as we pay these prices for GPUs, on either camps, they have no reason to change.

Top Bottom