• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia vs. AMD: A well-known retailer currently sees a clear winner in terms of graphics cards.

You need External Keyboard Helper to hide the annoying pop up keyboard on these Android computers. Also, some buttons misbehave.

😑

Anyway, the Android console looks like a slim Xbox. 🎮

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
As it should be. With the exception of 4090, which is in a class by itself, AMD’s cards have been better.

People like eating crumbs off Jensen’s jacket though. Fake frames is the selling point, while they gimp your VRAM and Memory Bus at inflated prices. These will age well.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

It seems that lazy ports with bad memory management will cause problems for cards with 8-10 GB VRAM, but maybe more are 1440p or 4k, 1080p I think still safe.

Problem is we are seeing more and more bad PC ports, I mean in general games launch in rough states and then often they have additional problems on PC.

Yeah if I was considering a gaming platform these days I'd probably go PS5, but going to stick to my 3080 10GB PC. A lot of ports do look better and (can) run at higher framerates, so luck of the draw I suppose.

Last edited:

SolidQ

But you are claiming games are going to need 12GB to run at 1080p this generation.
not me claiming
Ill avatar bet you more AAA games will work at 1080p with a sub 12GB card this year than not.
let's wait Jedi Savior and see what happens

People only care about Ultra settings but play at 1080p?
1080p still dominant, and easier to get high fps with high refresh mons

Banned
we not talking about only Tlou, there was forsh*t, hogwarts etc

I tried Hogwarts on my 3060ti, 1440p DLSS quality mode, RT reflections, and it ran fine and looked fine in terms of texture quality and settings.

Hogwarts has loading stutters, but that's also the case on console, so that's just the game being badly made in general and not a thing that's exclusive to the PC port.

Forspoken also looks like ass on console, and I can get it to look just as shit on my PC 🤣 but with a better framerate

phant0m

team red, never again. i went all in with a Ryzen 7 2700X and Radeon VII and it was the most buggy shit i've used in the last 10 years. all kinds of weird issues, games crashing, insane heat. replaced it with a 3080 and haven't had a single problem.

(CPUs are fine though, i replaced the 2700 with a 5800X3D and it kicks ass)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
shFztOg.png

Crayon

Lord the response in here. It's a report from a single retailer, chill out. gpu wars are crazy. idk how you end up so insecure about a company coming up with 10-20% marketshare.

willothedog

This.

You'd be an idiot to buy a card used for mining.

They are on 24/7 and are pushed to the limit.

Being on 24/7 is not a problem.

Memory is pushed not GPU core for mining so hardly 'the limit'. Then it has to be cooled or not pushed thermally otherwise it will produce errors so counterproductive for mining.

MikeM

team red, never again. i went all in with a Ryzen 7 2700X and Radeon VII and it was the most buggy shit i've used in the last 10 years. all kinds of weird issues, games crashing, insane heat. replaced it with a 3080 and haven't had a single problem.

My 7900xt has been problem free. Luck of the draw I guess

PeteBull

2 things guys- more vram is very welcome and needed, for comparision look at very good value gtx 1070, card launched in mid 2016 for 379$ https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1070.c2840

So nowadays almost 7 years later, we should demand 12gigs of vram from card like 4070, in case of that particular card/chip its either 12 or 24gigs, they cant make it 16, so my guess is additional 12gigs wouldnt make tons of difference even in 2-3years for 1440p and 1080p resolutions, and that additional 12 would mean imediate bump in price to at least 650 maybe even 700$ which definitely isnt worth it both for nvidia and for us- consumers.

Personally i own 3080ti which is 12GB of vram too, and im sure in a year or two latest- basically at launch of nvidias 5k series, i will be forced to upgrade if i wanna keep playing in 4k, even with dlss(and i got no choice, 4k monitor, rip ).
To me as of for now and next 3-4years/ports of current gen consoles only- 8gigs for 1080p, 12gigs for 1440p, 16gigs and more for 4k would be smart choice and worth it, no point buying gpu with anything less.

Here quick tldr of how i see it:
If u buying cards for 1080p-1440p high refresh gaming, like 4070/ti then 12gigs wont hurt u at all, at least till end of current console gen, if u going/wanting 4k resolutions aboslutely skip on gpu's with under 16gigs of vram, which means no 3080/ti/4070/ti and below, which means u either go BiS 4090, much worse but barely cheaper 4080, or budget option- amd's 7900xt/xtx, or again budget option but wouldnt recommend it- used 3090/ti, since those got 24gigs of vram, just terrible powerdraw ;/

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lord the response in here. It's a report from a single retailer, chill out. gpu wars are crazy. idk how you end up so insecure about a company coming up with 10-20% marketshare.
When you pay $1000+ for just a gpu … there’s a lot of reassuring yourself. 🤣

Pack it up Nvidia fanboys, it's over. AMD's 10.82% marketshare (which counts integrated graphics and APU's) is going to be 108.2% next week according to German retailer.
Im not saying we should discount steam numbers. But people need to realize its 80% laptop numbers while the OP is looking at only cards. No one goes out to specifically buy a 3050 to put in their PC lol.

Last edited:

PeteBull

From that tweet i see decent 4070 sales, and considering price bracked, decent 4090 sales, anything else kinda flopping hard

PeteBull

4090 is avaiable there cheapest 1699€, and it still sold 210 gpu's that week, for comparision much cheaper 3060(which steam survey declared 10% of all gpu's so true mainstream) only sold 255 cards, and those are starting from 440€ so much different price bracket, for me thats big flop and clear sign those cards comparatively sell very lil.

4070 which is avaiable cheapest 639€ sold 535 units, so at least visibly more vs super expensive 4090, no idea if it holds durning next weeks, hence my comment- decent but not amazing sales, since its launch week we dont know how much stock is there either, we will be able to draw some more meaningful conclusions durning next few weeks ofc, maybe it sold like that coz of too lil stock? Or it will keep selling only like this or even less in upcoming weeks, only time will tell :)

Tldr considering price bracket only sales that look amazing to me here are 4090, its avaiable for few solid months already, is priced very high yet still selling better or roughly on pair with majority of other gpu's, its not even that its top10 gpu in sales, its just that all the gpu's that sold more didnt sell that much more. being so much cheaper aka more mainstream, and yet...

No need to comment on gpu sales that sold below 4090 there, those flopping hard af :)

Spyxos

Gold Member
4090 is avaiable there cheapest 1699€, and it still sold 210 gpu's that week, for comparision much cheaper 3060(which steam survey declared 10% of all gpu's so true mainstream) only sold 255 cards, and those are starting from 440€ so much different price bracket, for me thats big flop and clear sign those cards comparatively sell very lil.

4070 which is avaiable cheapest 639€ sold 535 units, so at least visibly more vs super expensive 4090, no idea if it holds durning next weeks, hence my comment- decent but not amazing sales, since its launch week we dont know how much stock is there either, we will be able to draw some more meaningful conclusions durning next few weeks ofc, maybe it sold like that coz of too lil stock? Or it will keep selling only like this or even less in upcoming weeks, only time will tell :)

Tldr considering price bracket only sales that look amazing to me here are 4090, its avaiable for few solid months already, is priced very high yet still selling better or roughly on pair with majority of other gpu's, its not even that its top10 gpu in sales, its just that all the gpu's that sold more didnt sell that much more. being so much cheaper aka more mainstream, and yet...

No need to comment on gpu sales that sold below 4090 there, those flopping hard af :)
I think the sales numbers are relatively low because midrange cards are still not available. 300-500 Euros. Only when cards in this range come out will we certainly see more movement there.

Crayon

Well that is pretty easy to normalize by dividing the price by the sales number. I can't go grab the prices rn (im liying, I could but I'm trying to peel my ass off the couch. any minute now...) but guessing some:

$600 4070=1.1
$800 7900xt=2.3
$650 6950xt=2.0
$480 6800=1.6
$850 (?) 4070ti=2.9
$1000 7900xtx=3.7
$1600 4090=7.6

So of the ones I picked (the ones I thought I knew the prices of offhand), only the 4090 is really washing the others. Being the far and away best thing you can get though, everything else represents some sort of compromise. So it's got that unique consideration to take into account.

On the other hand. I am not even sure if my price/sales calculation even represents what you said. I'm really bad at math.

PeteBull

Well that is pretty easy to normalize by dividing the price by the sales number. I can't go grab the prices rn (im liying, I could but I'm trying to peel my ass off the couch. any minute now...) but guessing some:

$600 4070=1.1
$800 7900xt=2.3
$650 6950xt=2.0
$480 6800=1.6
$850 (?) 4070ti=2.9
$1000 7900xtx=3.7
$1600 4090=7.6

So of the ones I picked (the ones I thought I knew the prices of offhand), only the 4090 is really washing the others. Being the far and away best thing you can get though, everything else represents some sort of compromise. So it's got that unique consideration to take into account.

On the other hand. I am not even sure if my price/sales calculation even represents what you said. I'm really bad at math.
Ur math is solid, just remember its mindfactory online store, so germany, price is in the € and it sometimes is visibly different from US based prices, usually higher. but yup my conclusion from that is- considering price bracket rtx 4090 is selling extremly good, 4070 is selling decently but its launch week so too lil data for some strong conclusion.

On top u could argue that amd cards like rx 6700/6800/6950xt and 7900xt sucked out some solid chunk of sales for themsels coz of better price/perf ratio and being relatively close to 4070 but lets see next few weeks how those sales look.

Dunno about promos situation but to me clear example of price/perf advantage in sales is 480 cards sold of 6700xt, cheapest model avaiable 386€ (so top3 on the weekly chart) vs terrible sales of top9 rtx 3060 (255 units)which is same 12gigs vram but 22% slower(or in other words, 6700xt is 27% faster), yet starting price at mindfactory.de is 336€.

So for me the cheaper card is- the more volume in theory it should move(ofc launch week like for 4070 should be exception coz of stock/build up demand), for cards like 4090 or 3060 obviously 4070 launch week has no meaning yet those trends were clearly visible- terrible 3060 sales and amazing 4090 sales.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
From a video-editing point of view, I would rather go with nVidia for AV1 hardware acceleration, decoding and encoding. But fuck all of them and Microsoft, I'll go Apple and leave this BS behind.

Maybe few years later I'll be coming back with my tail between my legs.:messenger_downcast_sweat:

simpatico

I find other places in life to save money over an AMD video card. I have similar experiences. The few bucks isn't worth the confusing headaches you'll get once every few big releases.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I can't see anything new really.

The difference is nvidia cards are more overpriced than ever before, and people are still picking them up over AMD.

I feel sorry for amd. But then again, they could just make better products.

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
From a video-editing point of view, I would rather go with nVidia for AV1 hardware acceleration, decoding and encoding. But fuck all of them and Microsoft, I'll go Apple and leave this BS behind.

Maybe few years later I'll be coming back with my tail between my legs.:messenger_downcast_sweat:

I’ll open the door for you when you return.

Hoddi

I can't see anything new really.

The difference is nvidia cards are more overpriced than ever before, and people are still picking them up over AMD.

I feel sorry for amd. But then again, they could just make better products.
It’s 99% just poor reputation. And it’s mostly unwarranted in my opinion. It’s not exactly a secret that their OGL/DX11 drivers underperformed against nvidia but it’s not like these really matter nowadays. Yet, they’re still trying to shake off a reputation that hasn’t really been accurate for twenty years.

I work as an IT monkey in healthcare and all of our radiology workstations use AMD GPUs. I’ve been managing those for over a decade and the number of driver issues they’ve had is literally zero.

My 2080 Ti, on the other hand, gave me tons of driver BSODs when it was new. Driver updates solved those and it’s no different between AMD/nvidia.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It’s 99% just poor reputation. And it’s mostly unwarranted in my opinion. It’s not exactly a secret that their OGL/DX11 drivers underperformed against nvidia but it’s not like these really matter nowadays. Yet, they’re still trying to shake off a reputation that hasn’t really been accurate for twenty years.

I work as an IT monkey in healthcare and all of our radiology workstations use AMD GPUs. I’ve been managing those for over a decade and the number of driver issues they’ve had is literally zero.

My 2080 Ti, on the other hand, gave me tons of driver BSODs when it was new. Driver updates solved those and it’s no different between AMD/nvidia.
IIRC the RX 5000 Series had a hardware issue that made people unanable to play for months due to black screens, I literally avoided AMD until a 6000 Serie came out, which I currently have and can't be happier with because of that

Last edited:

PeteBull

If ur argument for amd drivers being decent for gamers is to bring up radiology workstations using amd gpu's u know its trully bad :D

Jokes aside, lets wait and see what amd offers to consumers as rtx 4070 competitor, aka 600$ max msrp, no idea why they didnt at least announce, or preferably launch something by now?

Nvidia got 4090, 80, 70ti. 70 so 4 cards already, amd only 2, if indeed nvidia overcharging in the 600$ budget bracket like i see from some ppl comments, wanting this card to cost 500$, there is no way amd wont swoop in with better and cheaper product.

For now tho nothing like that happened, wonder if amd waited to see actual price of 4070 to adjust their pricing accordingly, or rdna3 architecture scales really badly in mid/lowend so we wont see any cards from them for a long while?
Only time will tell, so far nvidias 4090's taking advantage of overall mediocrity of other cards and simply making more and more gainz. Looks like it will be beloved and very kindly remembered card like 1080ti back from the days, just priced to the max unfortunately, on the other hand, ppl who shop in 1600$ msrp bracket dont care that much about pricing anyways =D

Hoddi

If ur argument for amd drivers being decent for gamers is to bring up radiology workstations using amd gpu's u know its trully bad :D
Can’t really argue with that :messenger_grimmacing_

Still, I think it’s worth pointing out since many people are concerned with their drivers crashing their systems. AMD GPUs are commonly used in far more critical systems than gaming PCs yet many people seem to think they’ll be constantly crashing. No one will want their GPUs if that kind of reputation lives on. And, again, their DX12/Vulkan drivers seem fine.

I guess I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is now though. I never know when to shut up.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

I know nvidia also have their fair share of problems, but when I read about people having issues 9 out of ten times its amd users.

I'm aware nvidia can be faulty as well. I have a 2070s that had literally none thermal paste, overheating like hell.

I have never experienced any serious driver issues though.

In my country amd are almost as expensive as nvidia, and since the price point is literally the only reason to pick amd over nvidia, it's not worth it in my country at all.

Also all the stuff nvidia makes are leagues from amd. G sync, the new rtx remix for old games etc.

I can't imagine ever change to amd because of all these benefits and QoL

PeteBull

For me its simple, nvidia currently has over 83% marketshare of gpu's, if amd wants any kind of change they gotta start being aggressive, not pricing similary/bit better but visibly better, they cant compete vs 4090 but they can/should vs any other card/in all other segments, 4080 for 1200$ vs 7900xtx for 1k$ is 20% lower msrp, the thing is- 4080 is so badly priced almost no1 buys it anyways.

Amd should want more marketshare so should price their new cards more agressively, 7900xt going down to 800$ from 900 is good sign but we need more similar moves, show us 4070 competitor for 500 or at least 550$ with 16gigs of vram, not msrp but actual streetprice, then u will simply force customers to go amd coz at that price range(500-550$) buyers already are very price sensitive, combine it with more vram aka more longevity of the card and u got recipe for success- and plz dont show me 6950xt- it eats power like avg American eats donus ;D

For me its simple, nvidia currently has over 83% marketshare of gpu's, if amd wants any kind of change they gotta start being aggressive, not pricing similary/bit better but visibly better, they cant compete vs 4090 but they can/should vs any other card/in all other segments, 4080 for 1200$ vs 7900xtx for 1k$ is 20% lower msrp, the thing is- 4080 is so badly priced almost no1 buys it anyways.

Amd should want more marketshare so should price their new cards more agressively, 7900xt going down to 800$ from 900 is good sign but we need more similar moves, show us 4070 competitor for 500 or at least 550$ with 16gigs of vram, not msrp but actual streetprice, then u will simply force customers to go amd coz at that price range(500-550$) buyers already are very price sensitive, combine it with more vram aka more longevity of the card and u got recipe for success- and plz dont show me 6950xt- it eats power like avg American eats donus ;D
Its an uphill battle since the vast majority of gpu sales are from OEMs, and even if AMD had a competitive product, for every AMD system OEMs will have another 5 nvidia systems cause of mindshare. Similar to how for awhile Intel was still in 9 out 10 oem builds despite ice lake being pretty much a failure.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

AMD has taken so long to jump at the OBVIOUS opportunity to seriously undercut NVIDIA in pricing that I start to wonder if they're both colluding to drive GPU prices up.

Any outsider could see the market share is there for AMD's taking. But I guess they'd rather sell to ~15% of the market at $XX profit margin per GPU vs 15-100% of the market at $XX-$XX profit margin.

Reallink

AMD has taken so long to jump at the OBVIOUS opportunity to seriously undercut NVIDIA in pricing that I start to wonder if they're both colluding to drive GPU prices up.

Any outsider could see the market share is there for AMD's taking. But I guess they'd rather sell to ~15% of the market at $XX profit margin per GPU vs 15-100% of the market at $XX-$XX profit margin.

LOL @ "start to wonder". You do realize the CEO's of Nvidia and AMD are Uncle and Niece? And that's not a joke, they seriously are. While there is very little doubt they've engaged in some degree of explicit collusion, there is no doubt whatsoever they're engaged in tacit collusion.

Top Bottom