• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Wants To Cut Down 5nm Wafer Orders For Next-Gen GeForce RTX 40 Series Due To Crypto Flood Resulting In Lower Demand, Alleges Report

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im dumb can someone explain what this means to me as a consumer that was planning on trying to get a 4090 or 4080 this year?

Did I read that right they might push the 4000s back to fall of 2023?!? Fuckin hell do I just bite the bullet and get a 3080. I aint waiting that long for an upgrade.
Luckily for you there are good deals to be had on 3080s.

I don't see it as much of a problem for them. They were going to increase prices for the 40XX series anyway so they can still keep selling 30XX cards in tandem as a "budget" alternative. If production is too high at the moment then just stockpile it and lower production later on. It's not like Apple are in dire straits because they sell the iPhone 12 alongside the 13.

Last edited:

DrCheese

So it's a pretty bad outlook for NVIDIA at the moment.
My heart bleeds for them. Whist it's good they ramped up production to meet demand, they've also made insane amounts of cash in the process. This is just the market now correcting itself.

Of course, the sad thing is that they'll have to respond by delaying the 40series until the channels is clear, which is bad news for gamers. But anyone who isn't desperate will just wait now so they might be stuck.

skneogaf

For me to upgrade my 3090ti, it will take a hell of a bargain and at least 50 plus percent faster performance in every game.

I'm more than happy with 4k 60fps and my card should be able to do that for at least 2 more years with technology like gsync, dlss etc

daveonezero

Banned
They will just release almost nothing, to get prices to jump up again.
That doesn’t make sense.

Selling less product at a higher price is never better for the manufacturer. It is more profitable to make a lot of them and sell them to everyone.

Since demand lowered they are in a hard spot. They don’t set demand.

Mr1999

I'm just happy I got my 3070 Ti at MSRP brand new with 3 year warranty from Gigabyte. I think the 4000 series release is going to be 2000->3000 series all over again. Yeah there wont be the miner problem but eventually all this stock is going to dry up and you'll still have scalpers.

Also don't buy any 3070 Ti, 3080, etc series second hand, their faster memory supposedly runs faster and gets hotter and these guys have still been mining it at full load. You are rolling the dice for a 100-200 discount. People who think they will be getting a 3080ti for $300 anytime soon are dreaming. 4060/4070 aint coming out for a while anyways.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I love that they waited too long to strike while the iron was still hot, and now demand has been cut by a considerable amount. It is deserved. They road the gravy RTX 3000 train too long and now it may hurt them.

Edit:
On the flipside I guess demand could increase if they do wait until fall 2023 and create artificial scarcity. Either way Jensen has once again proven how shitty he is.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a chip shortage, computer parts are too complicated you have $6,000 PCs vs $600 computers with less features.

kiphalfton

Gamers had to pay crypto prices and couldn't find cards on shelves.

For two years we struggled to get cards

Crypto takes a hit

Nvidia will order less cards made because they only care about crypto card purchases in large volumes

In the end gamers still get the fucking shaft

The irony is people kept parroting that low-hash rate cards were introduced to curb miners and defending nvidia by perpetuating it was to "get it into more gamers hands". Morons.

Nvidia was likely selling directly to miners, as the founders edition somehow (eye roll) was the only card that didn't get nerfed (well that and the RTX 3090... their most expensive card at thr time).

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sure, why would they want to sell them for less than they have to? Lower supply = higher demand = higher prices. They probably could make enough to satisfy demand, but they don't want to.

kiphalfton

I'm not saying TSMC or nVidia are going bankrupt, only that they are having trouble accepting that they can't have such huge profits as in the last 2 years.

I'm thinking it's probably more so a matter of TSMC being upset Nvidia originally committed to X number of units, and now only want 10% (just an example, could be more) of whatever it is they agreed to. Especially if it's for some completely stupid reason like people are purporting Nvidia said.

Sure, why would they want to sell them for less than they have to? Lower supply = higher demand = higher prices. They probably could make enough to satisfy demand, but they don't want to.

This is probably same for cars. Thought I read somewhere that car manufacturers are never going to get into the same predicament they did in the past, where there was a surplus of cars on lots. Why would they though, if they can make just enough cars and raise prices by >50%

winjer

Gold Member
I'm thinking it's probably more so a matter of TSMC being upset Nvidia originally committed to X number of units, and now only want 10% (just an example, could be more) of whatever it is they agreed to. Especially if it's for some completely stupid reason like people are purporting Nvidia said.

nVidia already paid billions to reserve N5 waffers. TSMC only returns that money if they want to. And it seems like they don't.

Celcius

°Temp. member
nVidia already paid billions to reserve N5 waffers. TSMC only returns that money if they want to. And it seems like they don't.
I hope they don’t return the money. Nvidia is my favorite tech company but sometimes I feel they get a little too big for their britches.

SScorpio

The low to mid-range market might take a major beating this cycle. With the AMD 6000 APUs featuring RDNA2 graphics cores, the budget cards won't look very appealing to most people.

Unless there's a surge in crypto that is doable on GPU, RTX 3000 series cards will also continue to flood the market. It was impossible to buy cards for a long time, but they were still cranking them out and cards were being sold to the highest bidder. Why spend $400-500 on an RTX 4060 when you could get an RTX 3080 for that or less?

It also looks like both AMD and Nvidia will be increasing the power envelopes for both the RTX 4000 and RDNA3 cards, and if history repeats the gen after will be just as bad if not worse. Personally, I'm not running my gaming rig right now due to how hot it is, normal PC usage is on a 15W Mini PC, with gaming primarily on my Steam Deck, and consoles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 35-45W AMD Mini PCs end up being able to pull off 1080P med/high for most games while running $400-600, which would be around the cost of a mid-range card, but for a full PC.

So basically they would rather sell 3 cards at 1000$ than 5 at 600$?

I'm holding off building a new rig because of the rumored 4000 series release but if it turns out that I need to pawn my left nut for one of them I might just check what AMD does or get an already available 3080 ti.

Reallink

Im dumb can someone explain what this means to me as a consumer that was planning on trying to get a 4090 or 4080 this year?

Did I read that right they might push the 4000s back to fall of 2023?!? Fuckin hell do I just bite the bullet and get a 3080. I aint waiting that long for an upgrade.

No, they might push to Q4 2022 or Q1 2023. They were expected to launch this August or September, this article is suggesting a potential delay to Nov/Dec or Jan/Feb

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Might open the door for Intel. Well, whenever they get their shit together lol

AMD should be more worried about intel then Nvidia ever will. The only thing that intel cards will do is kill AMD out of the pre-build market most likely.

That doesn’t make sense.

Selling less product at a higher price is never better for the manufacturer. It is more profitable to make a lot of them and sell them to everyone.

Since demand lowered they are in a hard spot. They don’t set demand.

It does make sense to keep prices high for maximum gains, if nvidia wanted to sell maximum gpu's they would never create anything higher then 300 dollar gpu's.

Nvidia is the top dog of the market and every single PC gamer that wants the best and something that just works + games are designed for will floak towards them no matter what because of it. AMD isn't competing and intel sure as hell won't with there flag ship gpu rumored to not even match 3080 performance ( also who would invest in a unproven gpu solution? nobody ) which for nvidia would be easy to rebrand in the 4000 series and ditch out for far cheaper. Then sponsor some games with settings that murder gpu's + use more v-ram and slam more v-ram on that 4000 series card and u got a winner. Welcome to Nvidia.

Last edited:

MikeM

I'm not mad, I just want to know what he's staring at
Titties. That’s how I would stare at them.
Both will be fine in the end. The stock market is just being the stock market.

tsmc are in a better position though because a) there still is high demand for their products, though it can't be realised at the drop of a hat and b) they are a manufacturer for others, so can contractually hold their customers to their commitments c) Samsung's 5nm was mediocre.

Samsung need their 3nm to do well.
Sounds like a solid buying opportunity. Might jump in.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Fuck nvidia, not gonna spend a fortune on GPU no matter how they spin it. I'll just focus even more on playing on consoles.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

The truth is Nvidia & AMD sold 100 of millions of their 3XXX & 2XXX cards to miners now boomerang is returning & all this cards will go to the second hand market cheep,
even drooping price for new 4XXX cards.

TLZ

Banned
Via videocardz…

So it looks like TSMC denied Nvidia’s request for a production reduction, and only allowed the delay on the condition that Nvidia finds replacement customers for the lost capacity, which probably won’t happen. Fuck Nvidia.
What if Nintendo can take advantage of this situation somehow? Share the cost with NVIDIA and get them cheaper? Shooting from the hip here so no idea.

Hardensoul

What if Nintendo can take advantage of this situation somehow? Share the cost with NVIDIA and get them cheaper? Shooting from the hip here so no idea.
That’s interesting, that’s how they got cheap Tegra chip for Switch!

Reactions: TLZ

Fahdis

Because probably their long term plan is customers renting their geforce now service and not having dedicated gpus.

Looks like I'm already early to the party. However, options are always good. If an actual GPU comes out with a decent price and doesn't have stupid stock issues that didn't push me towards the service in the first place... besides GeForce Now library at the moment is abysmal.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What is wrong with AMD GPUs? They are competitive in pretty much every segment right now, they even have a viable answer to DLSS.

Well, I've had amd cards that had issues with overheating and the cliche drivers not working for games, and drivers that generally will fuck up your performance.

You can save a lot on getting an amd card, but imo it's just not worth the headache that comes with it.

There’s a chip shortage, computer parts are too complicated you have $6,000 PCs vs $600 computers with less features.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Exactly, they found out people are willing to pay almost any price, they'll do their own scalping if they can get away with it.

Haggard

Banned
Translation:
Nvidia wants to keep demand higher than supply to keep the inflated prices going.

The only correct reaction to this as a customer:
Guess my next one will be an AMD or I'll wait yet another generation. Fuck you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom