• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia's market cap jumped 31 billion dollars in one day

winjer

Gold Member

This brings us to the core of today’s topic. NVIDIA shares rose 4 percent yesterday, adding around $29 billion to the company’s market capitalization.

For context, NVIDIA’s cumulative net income since 2019 only amounts to $25 billion. As an illustration, the company reported a net income of $4.141 billion in 2019, $2.796 billion in 2020, $4.332 billion in 2021, $9.752 billion in 2022, and $4.368 billion in 2023. Do note that the fourth quarter of NVIDIA’s fiscal year 2023 ended on the 29th of January, 2023. Together, this cumulative net income since the fiscal year 2019 amounts to $25.389 billion.

Concurrently, investor hype continues to build over NVIDIA’s AI Foundation Services – a veritable suite of cloud-based offerings that enable clients to create and run customized generative AI models. Powered by NVIDIA’s AI supercomputers under the ambit of the DGX Cloud, the AI Foundation Services can be classified into three main categories: NeMo for text-based generative AI applications, Picasso for image-based AI applications, and BioNeMo for applications related to protein structure, sequencing, and molecular docking. Additionally, NVIDIA has also introduced NeMo Guardrails, an open-source toolkit that is designed to ensure security for Large Language Models (LLMs) via a range of programable constraints.

rsrULaY.jpg

While Intel is breaking records going down, NVidia is breaking records going up.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Why should they?
What are you going to do? Buy AMD?

I really hate that even RTX 4090ti has only 24 GB VRAM.
oh dont worry, they will definitely launch higher Vram models with even premium price in the future. Its a $$$ opportunity for Nvidia since AMD sucks

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If only AMD finally released something that can compete. Most AI projects on github are nvidia-only.
AMD makes the CPUS that drive all the hardware that process the LLM's. Nvidia is producing the GPU's and AMD is producing the CPU's...Intel is looking dire right now.

Also Nvidia gives ZERO shits about their gaming customers. They have been on this AI tip since the early 2010's and have created their hardware around making AI possible.

AI currently: Microsoft (CCT) + AMD + Nvida

Last edited:

murmulis

you think that games powered by AI will start becoming nvidia exclusive? We might have hardware exclusive games for the first time in like.... 2 decades
That's very likely unless AMD finally releases something that can compete with CUDA.
oh dont worry, they will definitely launch higher Vram models with even premium price in the future. Its a $$$ opportunity for Nvidia since AMD sucks
They already have data center GPUs with 40 and 80 GB VRAM. And their price is ridiculous.

Buggy Loop

If only AMD finally released something that can compete. Most AI projects on github are nvidia-only.

CUDA is literally everywhere, nearly 15 years with no competition. The lead time also for AI means that there's a huge community to help and debug. Even when AMD will get competing tensor cores and the software side, it'll start from scratch with the community. Imagine trying to find help initially, gonna be a tough hill to climb.

This ML researcher painted the uphill battle. It's not insurmountable, but that's assuming Nvidia doesn't just break ahead with another innovation in ML speeds. Lagging behind Nvidia just by a few years is enough for them to almost eat everything at the table and leave the crumbs for AMD.

https://timdettmers.com/2023/01/30/...GPUs_ROCm_ever_catch_up_with_NVIDIA_GPUs_CUDA

winjer

Gold Member
AMD is not the only chip maker out there. Not even in the AI space.
Intel is also trying to get in the market. And Tenstorrent. IBM. And dozens of AI startups.
But the leader, by a huge margin is NVidia.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nvidia crashed last year. My brother went in and bought the shares a couple of years ago because of their machine learning stuff but then lost all his profits after the crash last year.

Looks like it was $329 last year. Crashed to $150 earlier this year and now upto to $289 today. lol Stock market is a scam.

Buggy Loop

This is why Nvidia can half ass their GPUs at premium prices.

They don’t need you or me, anymore.

Nor does AMD really

Flagship GPUs are basically the gimped "template" of higher margin products or the basis technology for lower tier products with higher margins.

For AMD it's consoles, servers, etc.

For Nvidia it's professionals, servers, AI / driving

No company cares for ~1% market share flagship GPUs. That's for the EPEEN online wars

Nvidia crashed last year. My brother went in and bought the shares a couple of years ago because of their machine learning stuff but then lost all his profits after the crash last year.

Looks like it was $329 last year. Crashed to $150 earlier this year and now upto to $289 today. lol Stock market is a scam.

Individual stocks can be

NVidia is just a meme stock based on hope and dreams

The valuation is absurd and anyone buying this garbage will get burned. It’s pure speculation

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nor does AMD really

Flagship GPUs are basically the gimped "template" of higher margin products or the basis technology for lower tier products with higher margins.

No company cares for ~1% market share flagship GPUs. That's for the EPEEN online wars

I’m hoping Intel cares.

LordOfChaos

Slightly eyebrow raising, but it's all funny money, easy come easy go. 162x price to earnings ratio. Nvidia is a highly important company and will continue to grow in importance, but I ain't touching that, we also see huge slumps when things slow in these sky high PE stocks. Like, Tesla is at 47x, a high value granted to a company expecting to grow in the double digits. For a dollar of Nvidia earnings you pay 3.4x more for Nvidia than that. Worth it? You decide.

Last edited:

hlm666

There's been alot of focus about chatgpt and image creation in AI lately but there has been some impressive work in AI music aswell. Some of the older stuff i've heard was lacking and a little souless but this one kinda made me raise an eyebrow. You may not like the genre but this is completely AI made (except the video) and is impressive/scarey depending on your view.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nor does AMD really

Im not sure AMD makes THAT much money from console SoCs, though. Margins are higher on desktop GPUs

Buggy Loop

Im not sure AMD makes THAT much money from console SoCs, though. Margins are higher on desktop GPUs

But they sell a fraction in quantities

Imagine, what’s in the top list of GPUs on steam hardware survey (I know… survey, but what else do we have for a snapshot of global market), RDNA’s 2 combined GPUs in the list is 1.01%, and they aren’t the flagship cards, they’re mid range and those are lower margin.

Even we we extrapolate ~2% from cards hidden in the sub 0.25% range, and that every steam owner would match survey (which it’s not, but a survey is like that..) , it would be less than 3 million units for a whole series.

It’s nothing compared to console APU production.

Nvidia having way more share must make bank on the likes of the 3060 selling for ridiculous prices even now and having 10% of steam hardware survey. Flagships are still pathetically low.

Baki

Not financial advice. But I personally think Nvidia is way overvalued and the correction is going to be painful.

• Fire
Reactions: GHG

iQuasarLV

No way, they can't have lost that much money that fast
Google Nvidia stock and set the result to 1 month.

They lost it, as a lot of people sell when a hot streak comes on. Every buyer has to buy it from someone. This just means more stocks sold in the same 24 hours than were bought since the price overall went down.

LordOfChaos

Slightly eyebrow raising, but it's all funny money, easy come easy go. 162x price to earnings ratio. Nvidia is a highly important company and will continue to grow in importance, but I ain't touching that, we also see huge slumps when things slow in these sky high PE stocks. Like, Tesla is at 47x, a high value granted to a company expecting to grow in the double digits. For a dollar of Nvidia earnings you pay 3.4x more for Nvidia than that. Worth it? You decide.
giphy.gif

GHG

Gold Member
Google Nvidia stock and set the result to 1 month.

They lost it, as a lot of people sell when a hot streak comes on. Every buyer has to buy it from someone. This just means more stocks sold in the same 24 hours than were bought since the price overall went down.

Not entirely true, 57 million shares traded yesterday (it went straight up) vs 40 million traded today (straight down).

It's not as straightforward as "more sold today vs yesterday", there were simply less buy entries hitting the order book today plus the climax of a gamma squeeze.

iQuasarLV

Not entirely true, 57 million shares traded yesterday (it went straight up) vs 40 million traded today (straight down).

It's not as straightforward as "more sold today vs yesterday", there were simply less buy entries hitting the order book today plus the climax of a gamma squeeze.
I don't live on the stock market, so my kindergarten level understanding of the trades is what it is.

But yea I thought the same. The exact same bubble squeeze that we saw in 2020 with mining. Just Nvidia being the snake oil salesman while all the moron investors are trying to get in early.

The thing that will kill it is when the general public sees that AI isn't going to rule every single aspect of their lives, and then the market responds to equilibrium by moving on to the next buzzword to convince people is the future.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom