• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvme and PS5 issues. It could happen to you!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Had my ps5 since mid 2021. I have had my Gammix s70 blade nvme drive installed in my ps5 for nearly 1 year. (read speed 6300MB/s) Until today no issues.

*Others have reported this issue with numerous nvme brands and drives.

Last night I played and finished the original Mass Effect. Played about 6 hours yesterday. Today I woke up decided to start Mass Effect 2. The issue started.

Last night I had a bizarre problem where I had to reformat my nvme drive for some odd reason. After that the ps5 worked with no issues.

So today I go to power on my Playstation 5 and only the light would come on. Turned it off and on several times and still no picture. Changed hdmi cable, changed hdmi ports on icy, tried to put ps5 into safe mode, nothing worked. The light on the console would come on but displayed no video.

On a hunch I took out the nvme drive and the ps5 came back to life. Reinstalled the drive both seem to be working again.

YouTube has people posting similar problems.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While I disagreed with the user replaceable drive the ripoff price of the xbox drives had me converted to liking this model. But it's things like this that had me concerned. Hopefully it's isolated.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

OP, what CFI PS5 model are you using? You can find it on the box it came in, it's on the top & front (bottom right corner). Just curious if that has something to do with it, is the SSD you're using compatible with Sony's requirements dimension-wise? And, do you have a heatsink installed on the SSD that's also compatible with Sony's dimension requirements?

CFI-1000 - 2020 launch model

CFI-1100 - 2021 revision model (the one I have, I got the Horizon digital edition PS5 bundle)

CFI-1200 - latest 2022 revision model (Ragnarok & Modern Warfare 2 were bundled with this console model)

I installed a 1TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe drive that came with a built-in heatsink back in February of this year (6.3GB/s read on PS5), I just reinstalled Horizon Forbidden West for the DLC & that's the only game that's installed on it so far. No issues for me as of right now, I went for the Western Digital SSD since that's the brand Sony officially partnered up with & Mark Cerny (lead system architect of the console) endorsed the product as well. One of the best on the market.

IMG_3246.png

Last edited:

Filben

You're telling me SSDs can fail and cause your system to not boot? Shocking news.

No seriously, thanks for the heads up and your probably honest intentions, but drives can fail. In 25 years of gaming I had on my PC several HDD and some SSD and one PS3 HDD failure.

I didn't check your model but one way to reduce failure rate is to meet Sony's requirements. Doesn't mean it cannot happen ever guaranteed, though. But it reduces the probability.

drotahorror

No seriously, thanks for the heads up and your probably honest intentions, but drives can fail. In 25 years of gaming I had on my PC several HDD and some SSD and one PS3 HDD failure.

I didn't check your model but one way to reduce failure rate is to meet Sony's requirements. Doesn't mean it cannot happen ever guaranteed, though. But it reduces the probability.

That is some bad luck my friend. Nearly 30 years here of owning a PC and literally never had a drive fail. I'm still using a Samsung spinpoint 1tb from 2010, and it gets used for torrenting on the daily for years now, and runs pretty much 24/7. Also using an OCZ SSD from 2010 as my main OS drive, never had a problem.

Drive failures are not common at all for me atleast.

AMMDV8Q.jpg

94410 power on hours! holy fuck.

my OS SSD is 79902 hours.

I'm knocking on lots of wood right now.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I've had a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB on my PS5 for over a year, and it had zero problems so far.

Could be some bug on the PS5's OS causing that on certain drives, but it could also be just some broken NVMes in some of the ~34 million PS5s out there.

Corndog

Banned
How is that defense force?

OP said he took the drive out and the PS5 came on as normal, which means the added nvme SSD was the issue.
I suggest you watch the video. That’s not all that was stated. Could be just happenstance, but who knows.

Corndog

Banned
That is some bad luck my friend. Nearly 30 years here of owning a PC and literally never had a drive fail. I'm still using a Samsung spinpoint 1tb from 2010, and it gets used for torrenting on the daily for years now, and runs pretty much 24/7. Also using an OCZ SSD from 2010 as my main OS drive, never had a problem.

Drive failures are not common at all for me atleast.

AMMDV8Q.jpg

94410 power on hours! holy fuck.

my OS SSD is 79902 hours.

I'm knocking on lots of wood right now.
Time to get a new one.

MikeM

Have the exact same drive in my launch PS5. Thanfully no issues- maybe your SSD is a dud? Or a Ps5 software bug?

Whatever it is- seems you fixed it. Thanks for the heads up tho.

T-Cake

This is more of a storage problem & not actually a PS5 problem

Interesting. So I wonder if this happens when both the internal and M.2 storage are near capacity. I plan on keeping my internal free for screen captures but have no games installed there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How's that possible? It's probably the most common component to fail. I've had at least 5 dead HDDs in less than 20 years.

My PC still has the original two HDDs from when I built my first rig 8yrs ago.
I popped a new M2 NVME drive in my system last night, and considered pulling an HDD out - but why bother? Might as well let ‘em keep doing their thing until they die.

Topher

Gold Member
My PC still has the original two HDDs from when I built my first rig 8yrs ago.
I popped a new M2 NVME drive in my system last night, and considered pulling an HDD out - but why bother? Might as well let ‘em keep doing their thing until they die.

Largely depends on the quality of the brand. Seagate drives were infamous for their failure rate. I used to build and repair PCs in the late 1990s. I got to the point that I would proactively pull any Seagate drive out and replace them with Western Digital.

Overall, storage is in a much better place today as far as reliability than it was back then. Issues like with the OP will still creep up, albeit rarely.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Largely depends on the quality of the brand. Seagate drives were infamous for their failure rate. I used to build and repair PCs in the late 1990s. I got to the point that I would proactively pull any Seagate drive out and replace them with Western Digital.

Overall, storage is in a much better place today as far as reliability than it was back then. Issues like with the OP will still creep up, albeit rarely.

At that time WD Blue had a pretty strong reputation as good quality at a decent price. That was my go to.

Word of mouth among the gaming community was pretty much avoid the Seagate brand. I think it was with PS4 where I remember people running into issues with Seagate SSDs.

Hopefully they’ve improved since then.

Mr Moose

Same kind of thing happened on my PS4 Pro with external Seagate 4TB (and PC with a different 4TB external Seagate). They still work, but it happened a few times so I stopped using them.

MacReady13

Happened to me. Had my 2tb gigabyte aorus installed and after less than a month, my PS5 turned on but no picture. The console lit up but wouldn’t go any further.
Decided to try take out the SSD. Worked flawlessly. Returned it to Amazon and purchased a 2tb Samsung SSD. Been about a year now with zero issues.

Topher

Gold Member
At that time WD Blue had a pretty strong reputation as good quality at a decent price. That was my go to.

Word of mouth among the gaming community was pretty much avoid the Seagate brand. I think it was with PS4 where I remember people running into issues with Seagate SSDs.

Hopefully they’ve improved since then.

I believe their SSD products are fine, but I'll never buy Seagate again. It is an involuntary reflex at this point.

Patrick S.

Banned
This Christmas I gave my kid a Western Digital SSD for his PS5. We installed it and almost immediately his PS5 started to freeze when he played Elden Ring.

After the initial frustration and blaming it on the SSD, I fired up my compressor and blasted out the PS5 with 8 bar of clean German mountain air. Huge amounts of dirt, gunk, dead skin and dust flew out of there, and the PS5 hasn't frozen since.

So in my case it was just overheating, which coincidentally started after I moved the PS5 around. Maybe some gunk curtain moved around a bit and blocked the last pore the console could breathe through.

Last edited:

digdug2

The only issue that I've had with my PS5 thus far is that my external hard drive is quite finicky. It'll just undock itself randomly (while staying plugged in and it wasn't physically touched in any way), and I'll have to unplug it multiple times while rebooting for the PS5 to see it and then it needs to be repaired. It's probably just the external drive (Samsung 1TB 980 Evo) or the UGREEN hard drive case I'm using.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have this brand. I dont think its a brand issue, lol. I also use this brand in my PC.

Without looking at the video, I remember some ppl saying the heatsink on it isnt the best for PS5 use. Or it needed a firmware update. I used it as is no problems. But I also have a handful of heatsinks I can use. Right now I use one that replaces the NVMe drive cover:

images

On a similar note, I added a thermal strip to an external NVMe drive and that made it more stable. Before that it would crash doing downloads or transfers.

Last edited:

Mokus

How's that possible? It's probably the most common component to fail. I've had at least 5 dead HDDs in less than 20 years.
That's a really high "body count". I didn't have any HDD die on me in 20 years, active in a PCs or a consoles. Only one really old from a laptop that I was using at that point as an external HDD, but I already suspected that it won't last long.

Kilau

If the system works fine without the drive, it’s the drive. If the drive works perfectly in another system and a new drive has the same issue it’s a problem with the first system’s slot/board but doesn’t effect the overall stability.

NVME issues can cause wild system instability, I’ve experienced it first hand in my pc. I assumed I was having a board issue but I got a new drive and my issues stopped. I put the old drive in an enclosure and plugged into my XSX for external storage and it would cause that system to lag randomly and lose connection, that was through USB even.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's either the drive or the interface on the PS5. Probably the drive, try another one. Try the drive in your PC. If a drive goes bad, obviously the PS5 will not function correctly, it has nothing to do with the PS5.

gothmog

Gold Member
Depends on how much you turn it off after it reaches its end of life. Basically the lubricant inside hard drives will eventually start becoming sticky if the drive is idle. If you keep it on and running it never has a chance to cool down.

Top Bottom