• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvme and PS5 issues. It could happen to you!

Vroadstar

I have this brand. I dont think its a brand issue, lol. I also use this brand in my PC.

Without looking at the video, I remember some ppl saying the heatsink on it isnt the best for PS5 use. Or it needed a firmware update. I used it as is no problems. But I also have a handful of heatsinks I can use. Right now I use one that replaces the NVMe drive cover:

images

On a similar note, I added a thermal strip to an external NVMe drive and that made it more stable. Before that it would crash doing downloads or transfers.
I use a similar heatsink in my PS5, no issues so far.

Read something the other day that Samsung is cutting memory production due to low demand or high inventory. I don't understand but it seems like prices are going to be going back up. maybe.

drotahorror

Time to get a new one.

Think I got enough for now

3GM2a5x.jpg

C is my 80k hour SSD and D is the 94k hour Samsung.

How's that possible? It's probably the most common component to fail. I've had at least 5 dead HDDs in less than 20 years.

Well, I'm sure something would have happened by now but I didn't keep the original hard drive from my pentium 1 120mhz. I don't have any of my hard drives prior to 2010. They had no place in my 2010 build as I used all new components. But I haven't had any parts from the 2010 build go yet. In fact that whole computer is still kickin and it's a 24/7 machine used for a business. It's an i5 2500k PC and still doing totally fine, no part failures or anything.

Imtjnotu

I have this brand. I dont think its a brand issue, lol. I also use this brand in my PC.

Without looking at the video, I remember some ppl saying the heatsink on it isnt the best for PS5 use. Or it needed a firmware update. I used it as is no problems. But I also have a handful of heatsinks I can use. Right now I use one that replaces the NVMe drive cover:

images

On a similar note, I added a thermal strip to an external NVMe drive and that made it more stable. Before that it would crash doing downloads or transfers.
this is the one i bought for my PS5. saw the temp videos on youtube with it and it seemed to be the best with heat dissipation

Not me, don't need it. I have an external drive for my PS4 games, plus a no-limit, super fast internet so I just delete whatever I'm not playing atm.

Sounds like whatever he did with that drive changed the boot order. Like it was trying to boot from a blank reformatted expansion drive.

ZoukGalaxy

94410 power on hours! holy fuck.

my OS SSD is 79902 hours.

I'm knocking on lots of wood right now.

Just a friendly advice you may already know: you may pay more attention to wear leveling and total bytes written SMART values for an SSD, it's more relevant than hours.

Last edited:
Solid state memory can have issues, same as any other consumer electronic device.

Someone collecting stories of those issues together and posting them online in a video doesn't mean there is a widespread failure issue.

If the defect rate of general consumer electronic components is 0.1% then out of 1m units sold that's still 1000 defects out in the wild that when collected together in a video can make it look like there's an inherent product flaw.

omegasc

Most problems with the added SSD are probably due to overheating... some could be fine at first but in the long term, in a bad day, they can present issues like that.
Always use a good heatsink instead of the stock ones that seem "too thin" unless a device has been tested and proved that it operates in low temps.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When Sony said external SSDs were allowed, did they have an official list of approved drives? Or anything goes so it’s up to you to risk it on your own?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Defending what? he said the problem was fixed when he removed the SSD drive so it's clearly a problem with the drive there is nothing to defend this is basically life storage solutions sometimes have problems
I also reinstalled the drive and it's working as well. I can't say what the actual issue is.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
You're telling me SSDs can fail and cause your system to not boot? Shocking news.

No seriously, thanks for the heads up and your probably honest intentions, but drives can fail. In 25 years of gaming I had on my PC several HDD and some SSD and one PS3 HDD failure.

I didn't check your model but one way to reduce failure rate is to meet Sony's requirements. Doesn't mean it cannot happen ever guaranteed, though. But it reduces the probability.
The drive did not fail. I am currently using the system and the drive.

A.Romero

There is obviously something wrong, a drive failing wouldn't cause no display. Even in a computer if it was the boot drive it would boot to a message saying there is no bootable drive connected.

I know a PS5 works differently but it also shouldn't need a secondary drive to boot.

Good thing it is just a matter of reseatting the drive.

digital PS5 has a SN850 and disc PS5 has a Firecuda in it. No issues from each and both have been in since rollout of SSD support.

Hopefully it’s not a widespread issue.

onQ123

I also reinstalled the drive and it's working as well. I can't say what the actual issue is.
Sometimes a hard drive / SSD / SD Card & so on will fail then return to working after you remove it & reinstall

Right now I have a 5TB Passport that works when it wants to work

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Sometimes a hard drive / SSD / SD Card & so on will fail then return to working after you remove it & reinstall

Right now I have a 5TB Passport that works when it wants to work
What does the Crystaldiskinfo report on the drive look like? Maybe the drive is fine but the cable is faulty, or maybe the USB port on the hdd case is defective?

Last edited:

onQ123

What does the Crystaldiskinfo report on the drive look like? Maybe the drive is fine but the cable is faulty, or maybe the USB port on the hdd case is defective?
I think it's somewhere in between the port & the actual disc & sadly when I opened it I could see that WD is cheaping out so I can't remove the HDD & put it into another enclosure SMH but when I have time I will get to the bottom of it

Patrick S.

Banned
I think it's somewhere in between the port & the actual disc & sadly when I opened it I could see that WD is cheaping out so I can't remove the HDD & put it into another enclosure SMH but when I have time I will get to the bottom of it
Yeah, rip that HDD out of there and put it into something like an Icy Box case. I have a couple of these, and they are awesome: Icy Box IB-273StU3

onQ123

Yeah, rip that HDD out of there and put it into something like an Icy Box case. I have a couple of these, and they are awesome: Icy Box IB-273StU3
Sadly the USB-C is built into the main board of the HDD so I'll probably have to replace the board instead of putting it in a new enclosure

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's either the drive or the interface on the PS5. Probably the drive, try another one. Try the drive in your PC. If a drive goes bad, obviously the PS5 will not function correctly, it has nothing to do with the PS5.
Pretty much.

Thats like saying my hard drives in my PC crash and its my entire PC that's the problem. Hell, I fixed a PC with a hard drive that was in a PS3.

The issue?......the drive in the PC was going bad.....

Puscifer

That is some bad luck my friend. Nearly 30 years here of owning a PC and literally never had a drive fail. I'm still using a Samsung spinpoint 1tb from 2010, and it gets used for torrenting on the daily for years now, and runs pretty much 24/7. Also using an OCZ SSD from 2010 as my main OS drive, never had a problem.

Drive failures are not common at all for me atleast.

AMMDV8Q.jpg

94410 power on hours! holy fuck.

my OS SSD is 79902 hours.

I'm knocking on lots of wood right now.
Same here, I have a Samsung 820 from from 2012 I threw in an enclosure since 128 is borderline non functional for me. Figured it would've died by now but I guess not, as I say regardless of ssd or hdd you SHOULD be backing up on the regular regardless.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why do you even need nVME for PS5 if you can just buy portable 2-4TB SSD and store game on it, while installing only games you play regularly on an internal storage?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Why do you even need nVME for PS5 if you can just buy portable 2-4TB SSD and store game on it, while installing only games you play regularly on an internal storage?
Convenience, faster transfer speeds, even if its not a huge difference. And internal storage is low, especially now in 2023 where it looks like current gen games are getting bigger.

An NVMe inside the slot on the PS5 is only for Games and Apps, and Other. The internal is for Games and Apps, Saves, Other, Media Gallery. My Media Gallery is almost 14GB... Saved Data has both PS4 and PS5 games.

An external SSD? Maybe. An external mechanical hard drive? Naw. I enjoy the transfer speeds too much.

Doesn't PS5 have a list of supported drives? Is yours on it?

I've seen a lot of reports of SSDs being worn down real fast. Samsung ones have issues I know that. They are going down to like 80-90% health after only months. As far as I'm aware PS5 doesn't let you see stats of your drive beyond how much storage you're using. It's possible that the drive is faulty and dying.

Top Bottom