• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Dead Space Remake - PS5 VRS Update Patch tested on PS5, PC against old & new

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Dead Space Remake has hit hard across PS5, PC, Xbox Series X|S last week. But the biggest sound came from the Variable Rate shading implementation used across all platforms. After Motive patched the Frostbite engine to remove VRS on PS5 and add an option on PC, I turned the ship around and went back in for a closer look. Comparing V1 to the new patch against PC, PS5, Series X and S, join me in turning up the lights, quite literally, as we get into the guts of just what is Variable rate shading.

Chapters
0:00 What's on today's episode
0:30 VRS Patch details on PS5 & PC
1:05 Shining a light on VRS
1:45 VRS on vs Off the Before and After
2:33 What is VRS and TIer 1 vs Tier 2
5:05 The crux of the Image quality problem
6:11 VRS Performance gains vs Image Quality PS5 & PC
9:18 Was VRS worth implementing here including performance tests?
13:03 Summary and a honest appraisal of the issue

Last edited:

Gaiff

What puzzles me is how come no one saw this? Didn't anyone in QC say: God damn, the image quality sucks!

Instead, we needed outlets like DF to point out how poor the resolution is. The simple fix was just to toggle VRS off.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
VRS...........

thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

OVERHYPED TECH

80% of his video is to damage control the VRS and explaining why it was not such a big deal (he barely talked about the problem in his main video, "no drama" about it cause it was not such a big deal etc).

Then in the middle of it he says VRS off costs only a negligeable performance on PS5 and the game is much better without it. But then he finished by saying how great VRS can be in some cases and that he wanted to avoid to compare the worst cases because the game is meant to be played with brightness 50%.

What the hell? We can really thanks DF on that one, not him. The game as it was on PS5 was great enough apparently and devs did a great job.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
uDo7jPk.jpg

VRS is utter trash

This vrs implementation was utter trash.

It's obvious the devs got performance to where it wasn't needed and their software implementation was terrible plus they forgot to turn it off.

At least they got it fixed quick sticks.

Gaiff

I hear VRS is very good in Gears 5. To my recollection, it was meh but now I can't quite remember if I turned it off because I didn't need it or if the IQ was too bad for my liking. I'm guessing the former as I'm fairly certain I maxed it out with ease at 60fps on my old 2080 Ti.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Come on guys, you're seeing it all wrong.

You all need to believe Microsoft's 1st party developers 100% when they claim the exclusive features on Microsoft's consoles are the best thing ever, and transformative to the gaming performance/quality/experience.
It's not like Microsoft pays them a salary or anything, they're all being 100% honest all the time.

So next time the developers from The Coalition or idSoftware tell you that VRS is bringing them 50% more frames per second then you better believe it or else!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lol! So it was useless :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This thread will get 30 replies at best since those people that seemed so interested in the VRS discussion just took the latest "L"
People were interest in VRS?
When it works its great, when it doesnt its utter utter shite.

Modern Warfare did it well....this...well....I think the patch coming out so fast speaks for itself.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
AMD: our chip features a turd
Sony: no thanks we don't want a turd
Microsoft: WE ARE PROUDLY FULLY TURD COMPLIANT AND CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW YOU GAMES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE TURD
To be fair, the turd's specs and features were determined by the team who develops DirectX.
I wonder who develops DirectX, though. I don't think it's AMD.

GymWolf

Your info is severely outdated.
Really? Because i clearly remember big discussions about vrr and how the blue cockroaches were playing the whole fox and the grape narrative before actually having vrr on ps5 and none about vrs.

But yeah, i don't really follow every discussion with my x-boy riky in it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really? Because i clearly remember big discussions about vrr and how the blue cockroaches were playing the whole fox and the grape narrative before actually having vrr on ps5 and none about vrs.

But yeah, i don't really follow every discussion with my x-boy riky in it.

That was when Xbox had VRR and PS5 didn't. Now PS5 does, so the one thing left that Xbox has that PS5 will never have (in hardware) is VRS.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People focusing on the drama aspect and ignoring what NXG says about not cranking up the brightness to the max. The game is intended to appear dark.

Top Bottom