• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] Battlefield 2042: PS5, Series X, Series S & PC In-depth Technical/Performance Analysis

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You would of thought NxGamer would have done Some recent Infinite and forza horizon 5 videos. Seems he prefers sony stuff, which taints his opinion a lil.

Edit: never knew NXgamer also did stuff for IGN, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Every thread you try to get something going what is wrong with you?

LWVQ01j.png

Now whos the one starting shit.

Im guessing it was you.

You would of thought NxGamer would have done Some recent Infinite and forza horizon 5 videos. Seems he prefers sony stuff, which taints his opinion a lil.

You don't need to bring the console wars into this.

Last edited:
They are one of the most neutral posters on the site. Its clear you were trying to bait just let it go an move on.

Correction.

I'm not neutral at all. I definitely have a preference for PlayStation and I don't try to hide it. But I always try to remain respectful when possible.

Edit:

Sosokrates Sosokrates

What's funny about my post?

At least I fully admit my preferences here instead of pretending to be a neutral. Plus I never insult anyone here.

Last edited:
His theory (starting here) about a possible cause of the big frame-time drops on XSX is very interesting. He thinks they could be caused by the specific memory architecture of XSX (10GB of fast, 3.5GB of slow). When the game needs more than 10GB of fast memory that could cause the big frame-time stutters (including the 0fps freezes).

He noticed on PC the game sometimes suddenly uses all 16GB of ram creating big stutters and a similar thing could require more than 10GB of fast memory on XSX, creating a similar issue.

He tested for hours the game on all consoles and this specific problem happened only on XSX, not even on XSS. Which for me makes sense because on XSS all fast memory (8GB) is already allocated to the game. The slow memory is all reserved for the OS, not the game.

If true then after The Touryst it could be the second game to have big problems to run properly on that console because of a hardware limitation. And it's probable we'll see this problem occurs again in the future.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Jeez stop getting upset about which console is better. Using a broken game like Battlefield 2042 as an excuse is such a terrible example.

His theory (starting here) about a possible cause of the big frame-time drops on XSX is very interesting. He thinks they could be caused by the specific memory architecture of XSX (10GB of fast, 3.5GB of slow). When the game needs more than 10GB of fast memory that could cause the big frame-time stutters (including the 0fps freezes).

He noticed on PC the game sometimes suddenly uses all 16GB of ram creating big stutters and a similar thing could require more than 10GB of fast memory on XSX, creating a similar issue.

He tested for hours the game on all consoles and this specific problems happened only on XSX, not even on XSS. Which for me makes sense because on XSS all fast memory (8GB) is already allocated to the game. The slow memory is all reserved for the OS, not the game.

If true then after The Touryst it could be the second game to have big problems to run properly on that console because of a hardware limitation. And it's probable we'll see this problem occurs again in the future.

sounds like he needs to get a job at EA to stop them trying to make games that exceed the hardware spec.

I'm glad he's here to fix the idiocy of the actual developers, based on nothing but speculation.

if he isn't snapped up, I wonder what the next development issue he'll solve is, based on nothing but conjecture.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

He tested for hours the game on all consoles and this specific problems happened only on XSX, not even on XSS. Which for me makes sense because on XSS all fast memory (8GB) is already allocated to the game. The slow memory is all reserved for the OS, not the game.

He says that, then straight after says that the game is not ready for release.. Why didn't you include that part of his theory?

Nvzman

I have no idea why you are getting rediculed for re-stating this, it's a perfectly valid reason to explain the frame time spikes. Granted BF2042 is optimized like shit but it shows how splitting RAM speed can affect bandwidth. IMO I always thought splitting the RAM speeds was a very questionable idea on MS's part, I understand it may be due to cost-cutting measures but there are quite a few Series X games exhibiting bandwidth issues that don't seem as prevalent on the PS5, a slightly weaker (but arguably more efficient) device.

He says that, then straight after says that the game is not ready for release.. Why didn't you include that part of his theory?
Of course (if NXGamer's theory was right) they could "fix" the problem by preventing the game needing more than 10GB of fast memory (maybe caused by a memory leak BTW). But that wouldn't change the fact that this 'bug' would occur only on XSX because of a hardware limitation.

Leyasu

Banned
Of course (if NXGamer's theory was right) they could "fix" the problem by preventing the game needing more than 10GB of fast memory (maybe caused by a memory leak BTW). But that wouldn't change the fact that this 'bug' would occur only on XSX because of a hardware limitation.
What he says is 100% plausible and probable. Yet unproven. Not forgetting this fucking Battlefield looks and runs like a turd on everything.

But, it does merit further investigation

EDMIX

I didnt play BF1 enough to get into it even though I like WWII (the bad game crashes and partying up with buddies were bad at launch), but maybe I shoulda stuck with BF1. Looks awesome.

It was set during WWI, but yea its launch had some issues, but compared to BF4 it was pretty smooth lol As in....you can get in servers and play lol

I personally didn't care for it compared to other BF titles and only put in like 100 hours or so, but it was indeed a solid BF title. I don't know if I'll return to it and cycle thru it like I do other BF titles, I just didn't like the TTK, but then again I don't even know if its been changed, patched as I haven't played it in some time.

edit, its also a horrid comparison. As in we don't know what specs that person is using on their PC, settings and they are just looking at the fucking ground a lot lol

If anything it makes more sense to just use the same maps that exist from past titles like the Bad Company stuff or something. If they remade that map in 2042, its going to look much more epic in that new engine from something from 2016, so I don't know why they cherry picked a map that literally can't be compared as it doesn't exist in 2042.... so maps exist that have been remade in 2042 where such a comparison can really be made, so it sounds like this person is reaching for something as oppose to a real fair level comparison. We have several maps that can really be compared

Last edited:

EDMIX

What he says is 100% plausible and probable. Yet unproven. Not forgetting this fucking Battlefield looks and runs like a turd on everything.

But, it does merit further investigation

Agreed.

I think the game has too many issues for anyone to really try to judge hardware, based on what the game is or isn't doing.

Its why I didn't get the comments about CP2077 on last gen, be like "dirrrrrr its 8 year old hardware" yet everyone else on that hardware is able to have open worlds with humans walking around and cops and gangs that can ummmm DRIVE CARS, yet this game has all theses issues? When the game has almost no AI and massive issues, we can't just state "last gen" is the reason behind this solely.

So same with BF right now, they have a patch with legit 150 map fixes, it means its simply not in a state where anyone can judge hardware based on how its performing, its also having lots of issues, thus one can't even know if its 1 system here or there or JUST the game in general.

Shmunter

Such a cynical release of a game.

Remember when some such was like, we’re on time on budget etc?

I guess maybe this is the new normal when you no longer put in the hours a project requires over and above a breezy 8h day no matter what.

He tested for hours the game on all consoles and this specific problem happened only on XSX, not even on XSS. Which for me makes sense because on XSS all fast memory (8GB) is already allocated to the game. The slow memory is all reserved for the OS, not the game.

This has to be a troll post right?

MrFunSocks

Banned

Until he got picked up to do some work for IGN he very, very rarely did any Xbox exclusives. Pretty sure he doesn't/didn't even own an Xbox before IGN. Have a look at his personal channel and you can clearly see where his preferences are.

For anyone taking his theories on the performance problems as anything more than guesses, remember this is the guy who posted a giant concern video weeks before the Series X release saying that it won't have any raytracing in games etc and did a laughable attempted comparison between APIs on different machines, machines to which he has no actual inside access to nor access to dev kits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom