• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer&IGN: Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.5 Performance Review

Arioco

As always I'll leave a summary in a few minutes.

------EDIT-----

- As you already know the new patch adds two modes: Ray Tracing and Performance. Those are only available on PS5 and Series X, but not Series S, which has only one mode.

- Loading times are much improved, 5 times faster than before. PS5 used to be the slowest of the three, but now it's on top by a slight margin.

- RT Mode might be hard to spot and works best indoors, but it adds some benefits. This mode provides ray-traced shadows and ambient occlusion and improves the look of many scenes.

- Resolution is the same in RT Mode and Performance Mode: dynamic 1620p (the lowest found is 1440p) for both PS5 and Series X. A 40% increase in resolution over the last version.

- Series S only have one mode, which is 1440p at 30 fps, with no RT features at all.

- Performance in RT Mode is completely locked 30 fps, and Series X only has some Dios while traversing the world, but it's much better than the previous version. On Series S performance can be a bit variable and suffers from frame pacing issues.

- The 60 fps mode is now much better on Series X, pretty much as good as it used to be on PS5. Again, it has some dips while driving through the city (PS5 has none) . Also some dips too in heavy combat scenes, where Series X is now almost on par with PS5, and in some cases ever so slightly better.

Last edited:

Plantoid

Zero car density in some areas.. outside of that, some drops in open areas... I've been playing on XSX

The graphics are really good for my taste and the scope of the game

For me, as it is right now, it's a good game, not great, still worth our time, I'd rank it just above outer worlds

Things missing:
Transmogrification of gear.
More indepth weapon/car customization.

Itemization is bad, theres a lot of useless consumables and shit

3rd person view.
Option to not show hats/googles.
Option to reset attributes.
Traffic system.

Overall, as of 1.5, worth my 13$

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
For me, performance mode is the one to play, it is so much more responsive. I can handle 30fps in tpp games, but not in this one, it feels really bad.

I don't understand why Seres S didn't get a 1080p option or something close to that, the difference would be huge.

Last edited:

Arioco

For me, performance mode is the one to play, it is so much more responsive. I can handle 30fps in tpp games, but not in this one, it feels really bad.

I don't understand why Seres S didn't get a 1080p option or something close to that, the difference would be huge.

Yes, a 1080p@60fps mode would've been the best option for Series S, but I don't even know if that was feasible. Maybe it wasn't due to memory bandwidth or other hardware limitation.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Yes, a 1080p@60fps mode would've been the best option for Series S, but I don't even know if that was feasible. Maybe it wasn't due to memory bandwidth or other hardware limitation.

Quite possible, but subjectively speaking i would rather prefer 1080p and unlocked framerate, as unreasonable as it sounds.
30fps from the eyes-perspective, with or without motion blur, makes a really poor impression in CP2077.
It felt a lot worse than in other games i've played with such framerate, nauseating actually (but maybe it's just a problem with my head).

Lysandros

1080P/60 FPS is significantly more demanding than 1440P/30 FPS, i don't think that's a possibilty without big IQ/setting concessions given the known limitations of the machine as you said.

Last edited:

Inviusx

It's misleading to say that the PS5 has zero dips. I've been playing on PS5 Performance mode for the last few days and there is definitely occasional dips, especially around the area of the new corpo apartment. It's nothing major but it's definitely there.

They should just say PS5 has infrequent dips.

Gusy

This is and always has been a gorgeous game. Im a little bummed that the PS5 version is less consistent with the 60 fps target than the last version of the game for PS4 running in back compat mode. Im pretty sure that the alley behind Toms Diner near your 1st apartment drops around 45 fps. Covid mode used to run it at 60

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Yes same here.

Also I agree that the seriesS should have a performance mode
The hardware is caperble of higher framerates.

Maybe on another patch.

Bojji

Yes same here.

Maybe on another patch.

Series S has "fine" GPU but it was crippled by MS in terms of memory amount and BW. This game should have 1080p mode on S ONLY to save them few hundred MB of memory to fix streaming issues. 60FPS in lower res than that could be possible, we will see.

I tested XSX and PS5 versions on the day they were released and PS5 has slighty more stable framerate in the city (perf mode) and use of Dual Sense features make it superior version this time around.

Sosokrates

Series S has "fine" GPU but it was crippled by MS in terms of memory amount and BW. This game should have 1080p mode on S ONLY to save them few hundred MB of memory to fix streaming issues. 60FPS in lower res than that could be possible, we will see.

I tested XSX and PS5 versions on the day they were released and PS5 has slighty more stable framerate in the city (perf mode) and use of Dual Sense features make it superior version this time around.

People like to say that the seriesS's memory is some big issue, but its all conjecture. We have not heard from devs that its a big problem.

Ignxgamer said that the XSX performs better then the PS5 in performance mode in some instances and the ps5 in others so it really is a wash.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People like to say that the seriesS's memory is some big issue, but its all conjecture. We have not heard from devs that its a big problem.

Ignxgamer said that the XSX performs better then the PS5 in performance mode in some instances and the ps5 in others so it really is a wash.
Few devs will go out on a limb and shit on it for reasons that should be obvious. The fee that did raise concerns were for example bought out and yes they deleted their posts again it is quite. About obvious why. The rest you can see in the results.

Lysandros

PS5 seems to have overall performance edge in both modes at the same resolution indeed. Not a very unusual occurence. There was a time when people were very eager to see the performance results of this kind of big multiplatform titles, it all seems pretty quite now, maybe because that's the usual near identical result, or maybe because the source isn't from a more 'fashionable' channel.

Bojji

Developers are shackled by this 7GB of memory to fit their games into. They can adjust framebuffer resolution, texture resolution, shadow resolution etc. but core assets need to fit into that amount of RAM. And this is barely more than what was on PS4 and X1 - 5GB.

There were quotes from some devs:

For instance, Billy Khan, lead engine programmer at id Software, says the Series S’ RAM is “a major issue”, and says that the “much lower amount of memory and the split memory banks with drastically slower speeds” will prove to be problematic. Similarly, Alex Gneiting, principal engine programmer at id Software, agrees with that sentiment, and says that the RAM deficiency won’t be easy to compensate, and will drag down the base specs that developers will have to consider noticeably for multiplatform games.

ID devs won't make comments like that anymore, for sure :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sosokrates

Few devs will go out on a limb and shit on it for reasons that should be obvious. The fee that did raise concerns were for example bought out and yes they deleted their posts again it is quite. About obvious why. The rest you can see in the results.
Yes some devs raised concerns, but we have heard nothing from devs with hands on experience.
8gb usable up from 5.5gb does not seem a lot, but niether does 13.5gb up from 9gb.

Bojji

Yes some devs raised concerns, but we have heard nothing from devs with hands on experience.
8gb usable up from 5.5gb does not seem a lot, but niether does 13.5gb up from 9gb.

X1X 9GB of memory was barely used by developers. PS4 Pro not having more memory than PS4 was limiting factor here.

GHG

Gold Member
Yes same here.

Maybe on another patch.

That's not a Series S.

Tell me you aren't knowledgeable about PC hardware without telling me you aren't knowledgeable about PC hardware.

Riky

$MSFT
There is no point complaining about the split memory banks when the 2gb of slower memory was reserved for the system anyway and unavailable for games, I think they later admitted they were just looking at spec sheets and hadn't touched the Dev kits yet, hence tweets got deleted.

Sosokrates

Developers are shackled by this 7GB of memory to fit their games into. They can adjust framebuffer resolution, texture resolution, shadow resolution etc. but core assets need to fit into that amount of RAM. And this is barely more than what was on PS4 and X1 - 5GB.

ID devs won't make comments like that anymore, for sure :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Well the matrix demo has shown otherwise.

Which is a better indicator of how things are then devs comments with no hardware.

Games would not suddenly look better if the SeriesS didnt exsist.

I mean if the og PS4 didnt exsist would Horizon FW look better on the PS5?

Sure the higher base of the ps4 pro may allow more things, but they would have to sacrifice resolution to get there.

Sosokrates

That's not a Series S.

Tell me you aren't knowledgeable about PC hardware without telling me you aren't knowledgeable about PC hardware.

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Lysandros

I find very telling that he points to the split nature of the pool and the much lower 56 GB/s part even if it's only 2 GB. People assume that the machine has unified 224 GB/s RAM, that is not the case. Coming from such a high caliber developer, that's an indirect proof that the much slower part is still hurtful to the overall game bandwidth despite being seen to be for OS only without any impact on 'game VRAM'. The real world bandwidth figure can easily be lower than PS4 PRO's 218 GB/s of unified pool. The same problem should also apply (probably even more so) to XSX with its split bandwidth of 560/336 GB/s. People still accept and comment as if it has unified 560 GB/s bandwidth thus some kind of real world advantage over PS5 in that area.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well thats up for debate, if they used the extra GPU for more geometry, they wouldn't be able to render at 4kcb.
Possibly yes, but it depends on what they want to spend their budget on and how much they can optimise each target when they have three of them to support (they did amazing work on base PS4).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wish he could work out how to line up the videos a little better. He shoots the glass on the Xbox version in performance mode at 8 mins 02 while he is talking about the Xbox not performing as wellas ps5 and the Xbox drops to like 52/53 fps then at 8 minutes 18 the ps5 does the same glass shooting and tanks to like 46 fps yet all he is talking about is the Xbox isn’t performing as well as ps5 and has one small comment of sometimes is may perform slightly better.

that goes against the evidence we are seeing. Just seems off to me.

have they improved crowd density, textures, what work have they done in this version compared to the last gen versions running in BC mode?

its literally just a versus video with no contents on what has been done to the game apart from loading times. Are the consoles a match on settings?

Last edited:

Elios83

I'm not particularly satisfied with the update.
Yeah it's better than before and 60fps mode is ok and better than the previous 60fps BC mode but the 30fps mode simply doesn't deliver the expected extra fidelity.
Ray traced shadows add next to nothing and in 30fps there is an annoying blur that simply ruins the image quality.
Is this being discussed in this video?

Last edited:

Bojji

Well the matrix demo has shown otherwise.

Which is a better indicator of how things are then devs comments with no hardware.

Games would not suddenly look better if the SeriesS didnt exsist.

I mean if the og PS4 didnt exsist would Horizon FW look better on the PS5?

Sure the higher base of the ps4 pro may allow more things, but they would have to sacrifice resolution to get there.

I don't think it would LOOK that much better (or different) but it would be entirely different in some aspects for sure. GG would have all that 13GB of memory at their disposal and they could do anything with it not just high res textures, not to mention actually using Zen 2 CPU, game is still limited to Jaguar 1.6Ghz (actual current gen games won't have this problem on XSS).

UE5 is interesting as it's build very differently than other game engines, time will tell how it behaves on XSS in actual games.

People criticising Series S are not looking at IQ it's delivering I presume?

I am honestly blown away by how it looks.

XSS version looks good but it not performs as it should.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I'm not particularly satisfied with the update.
Yeah it's better than before and 60fps mode is ok and better than the previous 60fps BC mode but the 30fps mode simply doesn't deliver the expected extra fidelity.
Ray traced shadows add next to nothing and in 30fps there is an annoying blur that simply ruins the image quality.
Is this being discussed in this video?
U can chose between 30 additional fps mode or bit of RT mode(full rt even gets strongest pc gpu to its knees), most ppl will go with more frames, res is same/similar between both: dynamic 1440p-1620p, 5x faster loading times too so pretty substantial to me vs launch version.

TrebleShot

The PC version does look better but it’s not transformative.

Your essentially missing out on ultra RTX implementation that brings a 3080 to its knees.

Only with DLSS can you crank it up and get to 60fps on performance modes. The res output is very similar and most of the “settings” outside of RTX are the same or very similar.

RTX GI and Reflections are very nice though.

Riky

$MSFT
I wish he could work out how to line up the videos a little better. He shoots the glass on the Xbox version in performance mode at 8 mins 02 while he is talking about the Xbox not performing as wellas ps5 and the Xbox drops to like 52/53 fps then at 8 minutes 18 the ps5 does the same glass shooting and tanks to like 46 fps yet all he is talking about is the Xbox isn’t performing as well as ps5 and has one small comment of sometimes is may perform slightly better.

that goes against the evidence we are seeing. Just seems off to me.

have they improved crowd density, textures, what work have they done in this version compared to the last gen versions running in BC mode?

its literally just a versus video with no contents on what has been done to the game apart from loading times. Are the consoles a match on settings?

There is another IGN video about the AI and crowd improvements, says it wasn't possible on last gen machines.

Arioco

It's misleading to say that the PS5 has zero dips. I've been playing on PS5 Performance mode for the last few days and there is definitely occasional dips, especially around the area of the new corpo apartment. It's nothing major but it's definitely there.

They should just say PS5 has infrequent dips.

Oh, but that's not what Michael says in the video. There are a few (rare) dips on PS5 too and he even show them. What he says is that Series X stutters a bit while driving through the city whereas PS5 does not. It doesn't mean PS5 doesn't dip in other parts like heavy combat scenes, he clearly showed us it does and even states that in some occasions Series X can be ever so slightly better. Not always though. PS5 seems to have a slight edge since Michael states that with the new patch Series X "is almost on par" with PS5, so I guess it's not quite there.

But anyway, both versions seems to be pretty much the same now. If you have a VRR compatible display you might want to play it on Series X, unless Dualsense features are super important to you (which is not my case, to be honest).

Duchess

Again, this game should never have been released on last gen machines. I appreciate that there is is a much larger install base than current gen machines, but I think CDPR's reputation has been damaged by their desire to sell the game to those players.

Should've been PC first, then ports to PS5 and Series X.

Top Bottom