• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X | S Performance Review

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Seems like games continues to run better on PS5

that loading on XSX

Frustrated World Cup GIF

PS5 version is bad but holy shit they really screwed up performance and loading aspects of Xbox versions. I can't comprehend how this game could get perfect scores with only ONE good version (PS4 BC on PS5) with rest being more or less terrible.

PS5 again like usual.

This year is being so boring.

Mark Cernyyyyy!!!!
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

I can do nothing to stop this trend… I don’t release games lol

Lol nice try. Just take the loss on this one. Don't try to spin it.

PS5 wins and it's a slaughter.
Yeah for me choosing the best version.

Series X putting those extra flops to work.

I wonder how much worse it would perform if it had the same flops as the ps5.
goodfellas GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Digital Foundries video?

The written analysis didn’t mention the resolution unless I missed it.

Edit: I haven’t watched DF video btw only read through the written analysis.

There is no DF video.

Just the article that is a tease.
My mistake.

The video I was talking about was the network test.

So...the XSX version got worse?

What in the world....

Darsxx82

Rainbow Six stutter issue was patched as well - https://updatecrazy.com/rainbow-six-r6-extraction-update-1-03-patch-notes-1-000-003-official/

Dying Light 2 as a 'win' for PS5 is hilarious, resolution mode is higher res, performance mode is 80-100FPS vs 60FPS.
It already happened with Control and others but he prefers to turn a deaf ear and convince himself that there is a point that makes the PS5 version better than the XSX version even though it doesn't exist....

Said that, more than who wins or loses in those games (for me negligible differences), what differentiates those games (and 99% of those released in this year and a half) with the case of Elden Ring is the margins of differences do not conform to what has been seen, as a general rule in any section, between both consoles. Maybe a couple or three games in favor of XSX and the ridiculous and incomprehensible case of Ghostruner in favor of PS5.

Already, since you have that the PS4 versions load very close to XSeries something does not add up. In fact, it is the first game with these loading differences in favor of PS5. Then you see that on PC a slower SSD than the XSeries one loads like on PS5 and... 😬

You also have that regarding Shekiro, only the Xbox platforms have deteriorated their performance target. And yes, also in loading times....

That is to say, assuming that those differences in performance and loading speed are right in the hardware is..... 🙃

Lysandros

Was honestly expecting the XSX to outperform the PS5 here. Thought the results would be the other way around.
With each machine being in near identical in capability having slightly different strenghts (unlike PS4/XboxOne for example), it's pretty difficult to predict results. The majority of games have performance and resolution/IQ paritry but different engines favoring different design approaches/architectures examples like these happen sometimes. By the way PS5 outperforming XSX pretty handily was known from the beta.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
gosh from software should to hire someone for optimization. it is clear that they have no idea what to do.
That perf result are hilarious and against physics ahah

Last edited:

Stuart360

You should be mad at Xbox enginners
I suppose its Xbox engineers fault that the S version outperforms the X version?, or how the game loads into the game in 8 seconds on my Sata SSD yet takes 20 seconds to load on the Series SSD (which are like 4 times faster than my Sata SSD).
Or could it simply be down to From Software themselves, the developers of the game. Hmmm. kind of like i can get a near 60fps lock on my 980ti, which has roughly half the horse power of the XSX gpu, and the XSX cant get close to 60fps, none of the console versions can, except PS4 version on PS5.

People really need to study this shit before trying to award accolades to either console.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
wtf was that resolution comparison shot where one had rain and shit in it while the other was completely dry? that is a terrible way to compare the dynamic res

Both blue and green rats should not be claiming anything about resolution when it is dynamic. The only way to declare either way would be to pixel count every frame. Any advantage any console has in one frame could be reversed in another somewhere else.

And then the s is slower than x. I thought they had the same SSD and io? Is it the capacity that makes it slower?

No that would be the devs. I have seen comparisons where the s loads faster than the x.

Fucking lol, it just dawned on me that you are “concerned” about the s again.

Never change Frank

DavidGzz

These people laughing at posts talking about VRR will change their tune real quick when PS5 gets it. It makes a huge difference, guys. Also, I just messed with the adjust image quality on Xbox. Turning saturation up and brightness down made the game look even better. I love the way it looks in performance mode. Smooth and pretty.

DJ12

Both blue and green rats should not be claiming anything about resolution when it is dynamic. The only way to declare either way would be to pixel count every frame. Any advantage any console has in one frame could be reversed in another somewhere else.
Now we know the undisputed winner, From should just patch in vsync in quality mode, then everyone wins

Sometimes I wonder whether people have consoles to play games or to fight imaginary wars on Neogaf.

Biddy, i get what you're saying friend but...people are not in the wrong and are just tired (myself included) in botched releases and - generally speaking - these kind of practices in the form of "release now, patch later®" (if at all) that have been plaguing the industry for the past 10++ years.

And this comes from a FROM aficionado, yes, the art-style and atmosphere in their games is always stellar/second to none, it's just that i (and many others) are tired of this company's incompetence when it comes to the technical part, i mean, FROM is not the same "niche" little company , nor in the same position (financial etc) that was back in the 2000's with uber niche titles like King's field, shadow tower Abyss, Otogi, ChromeHounds, Ku on and the whole Armored Core series, they've been in the "AAA" business for well over a decade now, this shit is frankly inexcusable nowadays.I love FROM's games but i'll never stan for them since the technical problems in their games are always apparent, that's all.

Cheers

Leyasu

Banned
Now we know the undisputed winner, From should just patch in vsync in quality mode, then everyone wins
There is no doubt that the frame rate is abysmal on the XsX, but my point is that one frame with a lower pixel count doesn’t remove the possibility of that being reversed somewhere else in the game. Nobody is going to count every frame. Both sides should take that into account when they are battling it out in these threads.

DJ12

The thing is that even if they patch this, nobody will bother going back to test it. So is it even worth waiting for it?
Serious?!

Xbox fans literally petitioned df to re run analysis on Dirt 5 virtually every patch until codemasters messed up the ps5 version enough that parity could be called.

DIRT FIVE!!!!

You think your console compadres will let this go?

mrmeh

FH5 network issues, people seem pissed at HFW bugs and now the next big 3rd party title seems not properly optimised (This seems to be typical of From though?)

Sad that this shit takes the gleam off great games :messenger_frowning_

Leyasu

Banned
Serious?!

Xbox fans literally petitioned df to re run analysis on Dirt 5 virtually every patch until codemasters messed up the ps5 version enough that parity could be called.

DIRT FIVE!!!!

You think your console compadres will let this go?
Fanboys everywhere polluting everything unfortunately.

Both sides live for these comparisons

Three

I don't get it. What's the point of DRS if you don't maintain your framerate target? Did they put some kind of lower bound?

Last edited:

TBiddy

Biddy, i get what you're saying friend but...people are not in the wrong and are just tired (myself included) in botched releases and - generally speaking - these kind of practices in the form of "release now, patch later®" (if at all) that have been plaguing the industry for the past 10++ years.

And this comes from a FROM aficionado, yes, the art-style and atmosphere in their games is always stellar/second to none, it's just that i (and many others) are tired of this company's incompetence when it comes to the technical part, i mean, FROM is not the same "niche" little company , nor in the same position (financial etc) that was back in the 2000's with uber niche titles like King's field, shadow tower Abyss, Otogi, ChromeHounds, Ku on and the whole Armored Core series, they've been in the "AAA" business for well over a decade now, this shit is frankly inexcusable nowadays.I love FROM's games but i'll never stan for them since the technical problems in their games are always apparent, that's all.

Cheers

I think it's important to test if the games are in a playable/acceptable state in terms of framerate etc. but I really don't understand the need to gloat about one console having a minor advantage when counting resolution in a still-image from the game. But that might just be me, though.

Leyasu

Banned
I think it's important to test if the games are in a playable/acceptable state in terms of framerate etc. but I really don't understand the need to gloat about one console having a minor advantage when counting resolution in a still-image from the game. But that might just be me, though.
It’s not just you. I have skipped a few games when the performance issues have been highlighted. In that sense, they serve a purpose.

Unfortunately a lot of sites now see just how important and lucrative console war fodder is and cater for it.

Sure for now VRR saves the day for XSX (for those owning such a TV) but technically PS5 is outperforming XSX by quite some margin when you add both framerate and resolution edge: by about 25%.

Besides, PS5 will eventually get VRR.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
These people laughing at posts talking about VRR will change their tune real quick when PS5 gets it. It makes a huge difference, guys. Also, I just messed with the adjust image quality on Xbox. Turning saturation up and brightness down made the game look even better. I love the way it looks in performance mode. Smooth and pretty.
Nobody denies VRR is good. But shorter load times are better.

Three

It seems like PS5 always performs better with framerate and XSX with a slightly higher resolution.
Here PS5 has both better framerate and higher resolution.

Off topic, I think part of why DRS doesn't help with some sections might be because it was CPU bound in those sections? Can anyone confirm what's happening when it drops to 55fps?

Lysandros

Series X putting those extra flops to work.

I wonder how much worse it would perform if it had the same flops as the ps5.
If it had the same TF but 20% higher speed it would perform pretty much the same i think, except when I/O bound.

Tarnpanzer

If quality mode would at least hold 40fps, I would choose it over performance mode. 40fps would be enough for me.

(yes, 60fps is still noticeably better than 40fps in every game)

A2una1

I'm asking myself what will all of you do when gaming is all pure streaming? Do you then go after the multiple ISPs because of better bandwidth or ping?

Just enjoy the game. It's a from software title. All Versions are kind of shitty 😂...

assurdum

Banned
Why? We have numerous games that are the same or better on Xbox. Do we need to send Mark Cerny an outraged email everytime the XSX version outperforms the PS5 version?
Dude I'm the last who is fan of this discussion but why people should blame Cerny when XSX outperforms ps5? Are you fucking serious? It's MS who let intend XSX would have destroyed ps5 I never heard Cerny or Sony say the contrary.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Dude I'm the last who is fan of this discussion but why people should blame Cerny when XSX outperforms ps5? Are you fucking serious? It's MS who let intend XSX would have destroyed ps5 not the contrary.
Look at the post I was responding to, blaming Xbox engineers for the PS5 outperforming the XSX is the same as blaming Mark Cerny for the XSX outperforming the PS5. Both are stupid things to do and I do not advocate that somebody actually does so.

Some games run better on one console then another, anybody implying it is the engineers fault is being a idiot.

assurdum

Banned
Look at the post I was responding to, blaming Xbox engineers for the PS5 outperforming the XSX is the same as blaming Mark Cerny for the XSX outperforming the PS5. Both are stupid things to do and I do not advocate that somebody actually does so.

Some games run better on one console then another, anybody implying it is the engineers fault is being a idiot.
But Cerny or Sony has never said ps5 is the most power machine ever made when notorious MS channels always let intend XSX would have destroyed the ps5 performance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
My mistake.

The video I was talking about was the network test.

So...the XSX version got worse?

What in the world....
In network test PS5 had advantage in resolution and performance… neither become worse… it just nothing changed.

Edit - On Network test Series X lacked Motion Blur… now it seems there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom