• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X | S Performance Review

Vindicator

Gonna try the PS4Pro BC Version then, np with a bit less grass and lower res, the Art Direction will make up for this hopefully.

Last edited:

demigod

I’m sure PropellerEar PropellerEar and ethomaz ethomaz will be back to admit they shouldn’t have jumped the gun…

crickets GIF
Uhh, that TV doesn’t have VRR update yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My man, do you ever not make poor purchasing decisions? At this point you're just compounding your error.
Hey now, it’s still a damned good TV with one of the best, if not the best IQ and color engines.

I’m sure they’ll get it working right… this time. The tech world is now watching them.

DaGwaphics

Sad results all around. A game for those with VRR and embarrassingly inconsistent for everyone else. Yikes.

But I'm sure for those interested in the game, these things don't stand out as much as in these videos during game play.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Hey now, it’s still a damned good TV with one of the best, if not the best IQ and color engines.

I’m sure they’ll get it working right… this time. The tech world is now watching them.

Oh no doubt, overall it will be a fantastic TV, especially for viewing content (The only two sets I considered based on my criteria were the A90J and the 805 OLED when I was purchasing last year). But buying something based on future promises instead of based on what it offers at the time of purchase is always a fools game.

ethomaz

Banned

It is pretty great TV.
I was looking for a A90J myself (I'm still sad that Sony left Brazil and I had to buy a LG CX... every day I find a new issue with that one but it looks fantastic in IQ terms).

It just doesn't help his case in any way lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

ethomaz

Banned
Guy spends $3k on a TV that Sony can’t seem to get a VRR update rolled out to, despite advertising it with that feature, and that makes him a liar that doesn’t own a VRR set.

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite
Dude voted in a thread that has a VRR TV when:

- He doesn't own a VRR TV.
- The TV he will own in the future doesn't have VRR.

I can't explain better.
Maybe you need to check what liar means.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dude voted in a thread that has a VRR TV when:

- He doesn't own a VRR TV.
- The TV he will own in the future doesn't have VRR.

I can't explain better.
Maybe you need to check what liar means.
The transaction has already been completed and he has paid for the TV and therefore owns the TV. The TV will have VRR in the future as stated by Sony in their user guide. Maybe you need to check what liar means to be honest.

ethomaz

Banned
I think you need to research better what lies means.
Why keep the bullshit?

Guy A: Do you have an Orange?
Guy B: Yes.
Guy A: So take it to us ate it.
Guy B: Ohhhh I will have it in the future and it is not exactly an Orange.
Guy A: What?
Guy B: It is more like a Apple.

Looks exactly like a guy that do compulsory lies.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

I don't understand why you're defending that clown.

The option on the poll clearly states the word "I have a VRR capable display and use VRR now".

That isn't true now and it wont even be true even after he receives the TV.

He is lying. The end.

What poor purchasing decisions are you talking about?

The A80j? It's one of, if not the most, highest rated OLED tvs! WTF are you talking about?

You want VRR, so much so that you're preemptively voting in polls saying that you have it. But yet you're getting a TV that currently does not have VRR nor is it promised based on Sony's track record with TV updates.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Get the C1, Sony has had terrible implementations of VRR so far. Or wait for the 2022 Sony sets.
Yeah, I might need to. It's complete bullshit that Sony sold the A80J a year ago and promised a future firmware update to add VRR and they've been radio silent since then. We've gotten rumors from third parties that VRR was coming. Last time it was supposed to be in December, but not a peep from Sony. And most recently we heard it'll release in March, but Sony hasn't confirmed a damn thing. And I'm guessing at this point it may be a shit implementation to push people to the 2022 sets.

Well I bought from Costco and they have a 90 day window for returns so if Sony fucks up again, I'll just return it.

Lysandros

I expect it to happen for all multiplatform games.
We are 1.5 year into the generation, but one can continue to expect i guess. I personally don't have that kind of expectation, since i don't think it has a real foundation based on respective hardware specs at all. We will see i guess. Thanks for your answers.

demigod

Yeah, I might need to. It's complete bullshit that Sony sold the A80J a year ago and promised a future firmware update to add VRR and they've been radio silent since then. We've gotten rumors from third parties that VRR was coming. Last time it was supposed to be in December, but not a peep from Sony. And most recently we heard it'll release in March, but Sony hasn't confirmed a damn thing. And I'm guessing at this point it may be a shit implementation to push people to the 2022 sets.

Well I bought from Costco and they have a 90 day window for returns so if Sony fucks up again, I'll just return it.
TBH, I was going to get that TV too if I hadn't gotten a new Computer. Damn you 3090! Keep that TV, it looks better than the LG imo.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
As someone who bought the x900h year before vrr was added to it, i sympathize with anyone who picked it up thinking Sony would patch it. And i also find it odd that after the disastrous vrr and 4k 120 fps roll out for that TV, anyone would trust Sony with vrr support. Especially for a $3000 TV. Especially when the LG oleds are better in every way.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Who cares if a guy with a big L next to his name has vrr?
Focus on this:

In Frame Rare mode resolution is dynamic. Series S tops out a 1440p when looking at the sky but in action its often 1170p or even 1080p (in battles can drop to 1008p). PS5 and Series X top out at 2160p and in action can drop to 1512p. However the PS5 is often higher than Series X. Michael shows a shot which is 1512p on Series X and 1620p on PS5, so a 12-15% advantage for PS5 in heavy sections.

-As to performance, both modes run with a 60 fps cap, just one of them hits that target much better. In Quality Mode neither PS5 not Series X hit 60 fps during the tested sections, with highs of 45-47 and both dipping into the 30s. Series S is a bit worse, in Quality Mode is most of the time 32 or lower and can drop below 30 fps even in Frame Rate Mode even at sub-1080p. PS5 usually has an advantage of 4 to 7 fps compared to Series X (13 to 20% in Quality Mode even with the latest patches applied).

In Frame Rate neither is close to being locked, but PS5 runs generally better as we saw in Quality Mode.

-Loading times are much faster on PS5 (6.3 seconds vs 17.8 in the section tested).

Lognor

Banned
You want VRR, so much so that you're preemptively voting in polls saying that you have it. But yet you're getting a TV that currently does not have VRR nor is it promised based on Sony's track record with TV updates.

Good luck.
Damn, you're clueless.

From Sony's own website: "VRR will be available via a future firmware update."

Maybe you need to do research before making your own purchasing decisions. Believe me, I spend my money well.

Loxus

Yet you voted that you have a vrr tv. Yup I’m not surprised people lied in that poll.
Of course there going to be liars.
It's all about console wars after all.

Take a look at this video.

You still get stutters when VRR is enabled, even though many say VRR completely removes stutters.

VRR only makes a huge difference on XBSX because as you can see, that console has serious stuttering problems compared to PS5.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Who cares if a guy with a big L next to his name has vrr?
Focus on this:

In Frame Rare mode resolution is dynamic. Series S tops out a 1440p when looking at the sky but in action its often 1170p or even 1080p (in battles can drop to 1008p). PS5 and Series X top out at 2160p and in action can drop to 1512p. However the PS5 is often higher than Series X. Michael shows a shot which is 1512p on Series X and 1620p on PS5, so a 12-15% advantage for PS5 in heavy sections.

-As to performance, both modes run with a 60 fps cap, just one of them hits that target much better. In Quality Mode neither PS5 not Series X hit 60 fps during the tested sections, with highs of 45-47 and both dipping into the 30s. Series S is a bit worse, in Quality Mode is most of the time 32 or lower and can drop below 30 fps even in Frame Rate Mode even at sub-1080p. PS5 usually has an advantage of 4 to 7 fps compared to Series X (13 to 20% in Quality Mode even with the latest patches applied).

In Frame Rate neither is close to being locked, but PS5 runs generally better as we saw in Quality Mode.

-Loading times are much faster on PS5 (6.3 seconds vs 17.8 in the section tested).
I don’t think anyone can realistically contest the fact that PS5 is the definitive platform to play this game on. Just the 7 seconds loading times compared to 21 seconds makes this a blowout even before considering the technical advantage. It’s pretty much the biggest blow out we’ve seen between the 2 consoles in my opinion.

Still, I’ll use my Series S to have a secondary play through where I’ll experiment with different play styles like magic/stealth whilst being a warrior class on PS and going for plat.

Lognor

Banned
No Way Meme GIF

I have 77" LG OLED and don't agree on that at all...
Yeah, seriously. Not sure where these people are getting their information. Either clueless or spreading fud. They are probably still rocking old ass tvs so don't know what's going on with modern sets.

GHG

Gold Member
Damn, you're clueless.

From Sony's own website: "VRR will be available via a future firmware update."

Maybe you need to do research before making your own purchasing decisions. Believe me, I spend my money well.

You literally said this:

I need to pick up this game on XSX once I get my vrr tv. That seems like the best way to play.

So you thought you'll be able to play games using VRR when it arrives in the next few days.

And I'm the clueless one?

Top Bottom