• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X | S Performance Review

I own a Switch OLED, can I join in? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by Nora Fikse

Banjo64

cumsessed
What is it with you and small screens?

Are you trying tell us something?

someone vision GIF
I don’t have to overcompensate for anything…

because I have a micro penis.

Serious though, I knew the Lockhart was fine for me since it’s specs leaked years before release. I’m not bothered about 1080p as long as the panel is good with high PPI. Luckily my monitor is ace, with basically no backlight bleed.

I own 2 4k HDR sets (a Bravia and a Samsung) that reviewed well on Rtings, but the biggest is only 49 inch due to the small room sizes in the old house. I’m going to buy a 65 inch over the next 4-5 months for the PS5 but unsure whether to swap from a VA panel to OLED because I still worry about burn in. But OLED just looks unbelievably good in person.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Dude, you really are clueless. Look at my posts in the A80J thread. I know Sony has not delivered on their promises yet. Grow up.

Why would I need to look at your posts anywhere else when you're lying in polls and bragging in performance threads about things you don't (and won't) have access to?

It's hilarious that you think other people are the problem here.

Being wrong or not informed and stating something wrong is not lying. Seems you do not know what it means to lie either.

Oops:

Look at my posts in the A80J thread. I know Sony has not delivered on their promises yet.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Why would I need to look at your posts anywhere else when you're lying in polls and bragging in performance threads about things you don't (and won't) have access to?

It's hilarious that you think other people are the problem here.
OMG I'm lying in polls! How dare I!!!!! The horror! Again, grow up. I've already shown proof that my tv will be arriving in a week and I've shown proof that Sony said vrr is coming. You just don't want to accept those receipts. Grow up.

demigod

Not the guy you replied to but I paid full price on PSN, Xbox I just bought an Argentine key for £25 and redeemed through a free VPN. You get £5 back in reward points on Xbox too so essentially £20.
Why? Did you buy the PSN after because of better performance?

I think I'm starting to understand a certain subsection of this forum. You all lie, you all bullshit, but yet you're all somehow delusional enough to think you're telling the truth. It pairs well with the dreams and delusions.
You didn't show an intent to deceive. That's what makes a lie.
Taking big talk with no receipts. Good on you.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why? Did you buy the PSN after because of better performance?
I bought for PS first, I buy all From games on PS.
  • I like to plat the games
  • They’ve had DeS and Bloodborne and I find it likely that they’ll have future From exclusives (I like them all in one place).

I bought the Xbox key when the reviews dropped and I realised this could have GOAT status. It’s my first From game on Xbox.

I thought it’d be nice to have an experimental play through on Xbox in the bedroom whenever my missus has the TV. £20 is cheaper than a takeaway, made it a no brainer.

FrankWza

I don’t think anyone can realistically contest the fact that PS5 is the definitive platform to play this game on. Just the 7 seconds loading times compared to 21 seconds makes this a blowout even before considering the technical advantage. It’s pretty much the biggest blow out we’ve seen between the 2 consoles in my opinion.

Still, I’ll use my Series S to have a secondary play through where I’ll experiment with different play styles like magic/stealth whilst being a warrior class on PS and going for plat.
I just copy/pasted op to get back on it.
It didn’t work

oldergamer

Is there any surprise which platform would fair better for a game developed by From software? it's a japanese studio. They won't spend more time optimizing Xbox compared to PS5.

Nobody should take this as an indication of hardware design or performance capabilities. Not every game is optimal on every platform.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the performance issues are distracting from the fact that this is a really bad looking game. I get that this is a performance review thread, but tech critics need to hold studios accountable for producing PS3 era graphics. The game in the catacombs looks like Dark Souls 1. I am not exaggerating. The open world looks a little better but still a gen behind Horizon in every way and no the art style does not save the game here.

Maybe it looks better when you get to the castles, but sekiro did not look like this. Bloodborne and DS3 did not look this bad. BB especially had some gorgeous environments.

Are we ever going to have graphics analysis beyond just pixel and framerate counting?

I know NXGamer reads these threads, and I dont want to be overly critical of him since this is meant to be a performance review video, but I really hope we start to really be critical of games looking this bad in 2022.

P.S i played at 1440p 60 fps on High Settings on PC.

Allandor

7318lWu.png

bless you ssd.
If that would have something to do with the SSD or compression, series s should be the fastest (as it loads much lower res content).
It just shows again that the game is in an unoptimized state, especially on Xbox. I would guess that it is still using the Xbox one compatible packaging so it loads only extra packages for the newer consoles while the PS5 got a native app (as the PS4 version is an extra download).

This game so far does not reflect any hardware difference, just plain development priorities.

I vaguely remember saying something like this in the past, but I think that badly optimized games benefit from the PS5's "simpler" hardware. It takes more work to properly utilize the extra CUs and variable bandwidth on the SeX, so when no work is done things derail.

SLB1904

Banned
If that would have something to do with the SSD or compression, series s should be the fastest (as it loads much lower res content).
It just shows again that the game is in an unoptimized state, especially on Xbox. I would guess that it is still using the Xbox one compatible packaging so it loads only extra packages for the newer consoles while the PS5 got a native app (as the PS4 version is an extra download).

This game so far does not reflect any hardware difference, just plain development priorities.
That doesn't matter, ps5 ssd is much faster regardless

demigod

I think the performance issues are distracting from the fact that this is a really bad looking game. I get that this is a performance review thread, but tech critics need to hold studios accountable for producing PS3 era graphics. The game in the catacombs looks like Dark Souls 1. I am not exaggerating. The open world looks a little better but still a gen behind Horizon in every way and no the art style does not save the game here.

Maybe it looks better when you get to the castles, but sekiro did not look like this. Bloodborne and DS3 did not look this bad. BB especially had some gorgeous environments.

Are we ever going to have graphics analysis beyond just pixel and framerate counting?

I know NXGamer reads these threads, and I dont want to be overly critical of him since this is meant to be a performance review video, but I really hope we start to really be critical of games looking this bad in 2022.

I just replayed DS3 last month, Elden Ring graphics are shit compared to it. Both on PC.

Caio

Plaued about 4 hours each on Series X and PS5 last night. IMO PS5 feels better and looks better even while using a CX with VRR enabled for the Series X. Both were played in Quality mode. Also, the loading times on the PS5 were really nice.
It looks better on PS5 ?

Swift_Star

Banned
Game

Game looks fine to me. From (and most devs actually) will never achieve Sony first party visuals and nobody was expecting that.

SlimySnake

Is there any surprise which platform would fair better for a game developed by From software? it's a japanese studio. They won't spend more time optimizing Xbox compared to PS5.

Nobody should take this as an indication of hardware design or performance capabilities. Not every game is optimal on every platform.
Eh. The architecture between the two consoles is nearly identical save for the split ram architecture in the XSX and the PS5 IO. They literally both use the same Zen 2 CPU and GPUs from the same RNDA 2.0 family. Do you think devs go around optimizing for the 2070 and then do it all over again for the 2080? Of course not. If the game runs a 1440p 55 FPS on a 10 tflops RDNA 2.0 card, it should run at above 60 fps on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 card without any dev input. The fact that it does not is something you need to talk to MS engineers about.

Last gen, Sekiro was native 1800p on the XSX and 1800 checkerboard on the PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro was only performing slightly better because it was rendering literally half of the pixels. Not because FromSoft spent their time optimizing the PS4 version. The X1X GPU was never outperformed by a much weaker PS4 Pro GPU like we have seen time and time again this gen. If anything, we saw the X1X outperform the Pro beyond its 44% tflops advantage with games like RDR2 rendering 100% more pixels compared to the Pro version. Likely due to its 12 GB of VRAM and 380 GBps of bandwidth but thats the point, the console had an incredible GPU that was given enough bandwidth to show off its tflops.

I think it's time MS is pressured to give some answers. If I am in the market for a GPU and I buy a more expensive GPU with more tflops, i want better performance, every time. It's time you guys start asking some questions on twitter. I know Phil and co. respond to xbox fans far more than Sony execs. You know DF wont.

SlimySnake

Game

Game looks fine to me. From (and most devs actually) will never achieve Sony first party visuals and nobody was expecting that.
Nah, i just want them to at least match their own previous output. Sekiro, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne all looked better. Especially Sekiro which is a gorgeous looking game.

Listen guys. Both Series X and PS5 are great consoles and even the Series S is a little beast.
It looks better on PS5 ?

Yes. The HDR IMO looks better on PS5. It might be a settings thing with the PS5/xbox. I always feel like HDR content looks better on PS5. Xbox is too dark.

sircaw

Banned
Eh. The architecture between the two consoles is nearly identical save for the split ram architecture in the XSX and the PS5 IO. They literally both use the same Zen 2 CPU and GPUs from the same RNDA 2.0 family. Do you think devs go around optimizing for the 2070 and then do it all over again for the 2080? Of course not. If the game runs a 1440p 55 FPS on a 10 tflops RDNA 2.0 card, it should run at above 60 fps on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 card without any dev input. The fact that it does not is something you need to talk to MS engineers about.

Last gen, Sekiro was native 1800p on the XSX and 1800 checkerboard on the PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro was only performing slightly better because it was rendering literally half of the pixels. Not because FromSoft spent their time optimizing the PS4 version. The X1X GPU was never outperformed by a much weaker PS4 Pro GPU like we have seen time and time again this gen. If anything, we saw the X1X outperform the Pro beyond its 44% tflops advantage with games like RDR2 rendering 100% more pixels compared to the Pro version. Likely due to its 12 GB of VRAM and 380 GBps of bandwidth but thats the point, the console had an incredible GPU that was given enough bandwidth to show off its tflops.

I think it's time MS is pressured to give some answers. If I am in the market for a GPU and I buy a more expensive GPU with more tflops, i want better performance, every time. It's time you guys start asking some questions on twitter. I know Phil and co. respond to xbox fans far more than Sony execs. You know DF wont.

I don't think Microsoft will respond to that, other than some generic pr response.

I will say this though, it is extremely troubling to see the Xbox x not at least on par or performing better than the ps5.

The SSD for the Ps5 is a given as it's just much faster, but those 2 extra T-flops surely are meant to count for something, it really does not add up.

As for the Vrr capable television set, that i am afraid is just not acceptable, what % of people outside this forum, the general public etc, have a tv like that, a very small % I imagine.

I finally got my hands on a ps5 yesterday direct from sony, it's the none disk version, i paid 350 pounds for it with the delivery included.

To think that if i buy Elden Ring, not only am i getting better performance, much fast-loading but its all for 100 pounds less in price than a machine that is meant to be on paper better, these points are flabbergasting to me.

To my xbox colleagues, get on Twitter and start demanding better.

For the price you have paid and the potential performance of the specs, you deserve better.

Last edited:

Allandor

That's not how any of this works.
This is exactly how resource loading works. The series s gets much lower res textures, those are also much, much smaller on the SSD. The cpu is at least as strong as the PS5 CPU. Compression tech doesn't matter much, as the texture size is mich smaller (and also compressed). The only thing that can make loading that much faster is the implementation. Has nothing to do with the hardware as any of the performance differences in this game.
Currently the best way to play the game is the PS4 pro version on a PS5 or the Xbox series x version with a VRR capable tv. Both are just not optimal options. I really hope from software fixes some of the issues. In this generation the cpu shouldn't be the problem.
Or we must wait for the next generation to play this game without compromise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is exactly how resource loading works. The series s gets much lower res textures, those are also much, much smaller on the SSD. The cpu is at least as strong as the PS5 CPU. Compression tech doesn't matter much, as the texture size is mich smaller (and also compressed). The only thing that can make loading that much faster is the implementation. Has nothing to do with the hardware as any of the performance differences in this game.
Currently the best way to play the game is the PS4 pro version on a PS5 or the Xbox series x version with a VRR capable tv. Both are just not optimal options. I really hope from software fixes some of the issues. In this generation the cpu shouldn't be the problem.
Or we must wait for the next generation to play this game without compromise.
You are not taking into the account the difference in the I/O architectures/speed.

Lysandros

I will say this though, it is extremely troubling to see the Xbox x not at least on par or performing better than the ps5.

The SSD for the Ps5 is a given as it's just much faster, but those 2 extra T-flops surely are meant to count for something, it really does not add up.
Come on now handsome fish we have dozens maybe hundreds of posts explaining/discussing the reasons of it since nearly 1.5 year now, and you were around.

Top Bottom