• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X | S Performance Review

DJ12

Listen guys. Both Series X and PS5 are great consoles and even the Series S is a little beast.

Yes. The HDR IMO looks better on PS5. It might be a settings thing with the PS5/xbox. I always feel like HDR content looks better on PS5. Xbox is too dark.
I literally just watched a video saying the xbox put everything through a dolby vision container to sort out hdr, guess its balling it up then.

No reason why hdr wouldn't look the same on both consoles.

Last edited:
Go back and read again please.

The own user's posters are receipts... c'mon.
They lumped me in. I want my receipts.
Also no they didn't. There is a lot of conditions to make something a lie, some of which are contradictory depending on situation, and who you ask. In this case it depends on the users interpretation of their situation and the conditions of the poll.
You can make truthful statements and still be lying. Lying is very complicated so I'm not one to jump the gun and just call someone a liar, because it all comes down to their intent, which we do not know.

sircaw

Banned
They lumped me in. I want my receipts.
Also no they didn't. There is a lot of conditions to make something a lie, some of which are contradictory depending on situation, and who you ask. In this case it depends on the users interpretation of their situation and the conditions of the poll.
You can make truthful statements and still be lying. Lying is very complicated so I'm not one to jump the gun and just call someone a liar, because it all comes down to their intent, which we do not know.
Shut the hell up, You err Commy bastard "lollipop_disappointed:

:messenger_heart:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I want to see you disowning that scum bag Putin right now, otherwise i am reporting you as a gaf sleeper cell operative

heigh-ho heigh-ho, it's off to the Gaf Gulag you go.

On a serious note, back to the discussion at hand before i get banned for silly politics stuff, cry "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Do you get two random hitches every now and again. Like it pauses twice with a second or so in-between and then the engine catches up? Like it speeds up on PC.

I don't know why I'm sat here troubleshooting pc issues when I could just be playing.

Sekiro pc port was amazing but this is baffling.

I'm on an 8700k and an rtx 3080.
Stuttering was there all the time. Not unplayable but it was very consistent.

A2una1

Nah. Just go PC. No one wants pure streaming COD games.
Nope. Own a beefy gaming pc, but I hardly use it for gaming. I enjoy gaming in the living room. And don't need the ultra graphics setting. Also I almost never mod anything since I find it too much of a hassle for some titles... (looking at you sekiro).

PaintTinJr

So people. which is the majority who does not have VRR compatible TV are screwed then.
No, not really because the performance drops on both versions is proportional to the tear sizes and this is on a game where the only rapid full frame screen changes are when the camera is being quickly moved - so not often - or the enemies on screen are moving lots of pixels in less than 16.6ms so that a tear is actually visible - which won't be the normal frame rendering situation.

Tearing in launch GT5 was a big issue because the viewpoint is changing at 60-90Mph mostly, so a torn frame has the wrong info left behind in the torn section. On a game like this, what gets left behind the tear might actually be close enough or actually identical data as what would have been rendered - had it not had a tear - of roughly 8% of the screen pixels when dropping to 55fps from 60fps.

Given that this uses the PhyreEngine(ver3 or later) - as apparently all FromSoftware games do - and that was a Sony built cross party engine I would expect Sony to fix that 8% error in the system firmware if From don't in the next 2months, because Sony know their engine probably better than From do.

Last edited:
Nope. Own a beefy gaming pc, but I hardly use it for gaming. I enjoy gaming in the living room. And don't need the ultra graphics setting. Also I almost never mod anything since I find it too much of a hassle for some titles... (looking at you sekiro).
I just use FPS unlock and auto pickup for sekiro. Its very very easy.

yurinka

E3K0RLd.gif
Is he Jim Ryan after watching the comparision videos?

Last edited:

Klayzer

I think I'm starting to understand a certain subsection of this forum. You all lie, you all bullshit, but yet you're all somehow delusional enough to think you're telling the truth. It pairs well with the dreams and delusions.
They are a very dishonest faction. And plagued with convient short term memory loss. Its the same accusations constantly, call everyone else "trolls" and "liars" while blatantly doing both at the same time.

Darsxx82

Eh. The architecture between the two consoles is nearly identical save for the split ram architecture in the XSX and the PS5 IO. They literally both use the same Zen 2 CPU and GPUs from the same RNDA 2.0 family.
Both consoles have the same architecture, but beyond that they also have certain differences that can make a difference in more than 2 more tflops.

Being consoles so on par in power, Apis or being the base platform with more optimization time can tip the balance.

The mistake you make is wanting to reference this game when you already have 200+ games during this year and a half and what you see in Elden Ring is out of the general norm. Just as you can give examples in favor of XSX that are also out of that norm and we did not have this need to ask MS.

Do you think devs go around optimizing for the 2070 and then do it all over again for the 2080? Of course not. If the game runs a 1440p 55 FPS on a 10 tflops RDNA 2.0 card, it should run at above 60 fps on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 card without any dev input. The fact that it does not is something you need to talk to MS engineers about.

The comparison is totally off the mark as there is much more similarity in architecture between a 2070 and a 2080 than between XSX and PS5. Not only that, they also use the same API and drivers.
If XSX and PS5 were exactly the same, both using the same API and only differ in the number of Cu/tflops... You would have the same result as between a 2080 vs 2070.
Last gen, Sekiro was native 1800p on the XSX and 1800 checkerboard on the PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro was only performing slightly better because it was rendering literally half of the pixels. Not because FromSoft spent their time optimizing the PS4 version.

errrr. If we take Sekiro as a reference with respect to Elden Ring, it turns out that ALL XBOX platforms have worsened their performance target while Playstation platforms remain the same. I don't know how you explain that 🤔

ELden Ring on XBOs now performs absurdly worse than Sekiro while PS4 does with the same target. PRo maintains the target, while XBO X has worsened by having less average resolution (Sekiro was 1800p locked) and no longer shows extra improvements over PRO as was the level of shadows. And the most cheeky? Well, it's in the loading times. Sekiro had fantastic load times on XBO, ~12-20 seconds like its PS4 versions. In Elden Ring you have PS4 loads almost as fast as XSeries 😅 and XBO goes beyond 2-3x the time of PS4. If you don't see a sign of less attention there... You also have that a normal sata SSD, slower than the XSX SSD, loads as fast or more than PS5.
The X1X GPU was never outperformed by a much weaker PS4 Pro GPU like we have seen time and time again this gen. If anything, we saw the X1X outperform the Pro beyond its 44% tflops advantage with games like RDR2 rendering 100% more pixels compared to the Pro version. Likely due to its 12 GB of VRAM and 380 GBps of bandwidth but thats the point, the console had an incredible GPU that was given enough bandwidth to show off its tflops.

Incorrect. There are cases and not a few in which the Pro version and XBO X showed the same performance. There are even cases where PRo got a better version.....

And if that happened between consoles whose difference in power are much much greater and extended to all sections of the hardware..... With XSX and PS5 being so on par, even with advantages and disadvantages one against the other, the stupid thing would be not to expect to see that situation being more common 😅

And it is that, I repeat, the error is to take Elden as a reference of the performance of both consoles when its result differs a lot from the general norm seen and of course the origin is clear.
I think it's time MS is pressured to give some answers. If I am in the market for a GPU and I buy a more expensive GPU with more tflops, i want better performance, every time. It's time you guys start asking some questions on twitter. I know Phil and co. respond to xbox fans far more than Sony execs. You know DF wont.

First, both consoles are sold at the same price. There is no reason to ask for explanations in that regard.

Second, asking MS / Phil for explanations when a case of an XSX game that performs better on PS5 appears is as absurd as congratulating him when there are cases where XSX performs significantly better than on PS5.... We do wrong if we get to that point 😅

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You are not taking into the account the difference in the I/O architectures/speed.
Thank you.

Some always wanna mention the cu differences when talking about performance, but for some reason just dismiss the I/O differences.

Keep it consistent. It's not that serious....

I said this before....can the PS5 be better at something, anything? Just one thing?

Damn.

Yup.

Last edited:

A2una1

I just use FPS unlock and auto pickup for sekiro. Its very very easy.
I need to unlock ultrawide so had to manipulate the start ex via hex editor. Then alter the Ui so it is more on the edge of the monitor. Since the latest update the Ui manipulation didn't work anymore. I don't want to mess with such things in my free time to be honest

DaGwaphics

Is there any surprise which platform would fair better for a game developed by From software? it's a japanese studio. They won't spend more time optimizing Xbox compared to PS5.

Nobody should take this as an indication of hardware design or performance capabilities. Not every game is optimal on every platform.

Very true.

Last edited:

BigLee74

I don't think Microsoft will respond to that, other than some generic pr response.

I will say this though, it is extremely troubling to see the Xbox x not at least on par or performing better than the ps5.

The SSD for the Ps5 is a given as it's just much faster, but those 2 extra T-flops surely are meant to count for something, it really does not add up.

As for the Vrr capable television set, that i am afraid is just not acceptable, what % of people outside this forum, the general public etc, have a tv like that, a very small % I imagine.

I finally got my hands on a ps5 yesterday direct from sony, it's the none disk version, i paid 350 pounds for it with the delivery included.

To think that if i buy Elden Ring, not only am i getting better performance, much fast-loading but its all for 100 pounds less in price than a machine that is meant to be on paper better, these points are flabbergasting to me.

To my xbox colleagues, get on Twitter and start demanding better.

For the price you have paid and the potential performance of the specs, you deserve better.
That’s a shitty, flamey, baity post - even for you! 😁👍 Top marks!

Darsxx82

You are not taking into the account the difference in the I/O architectures/speed.
And you are not taking the account that on PCs with a slower sata SSD than the XSeries one, it loads the same or faster than on PS5.
And if that wasn't enough you have that the PS4 version loads almost like XSeries while XBO loads 2-3x slower than PS4.
Perhaps for some it is more consistent to think that not only the PS5 SSD is "magical", but also the PS4 HDD is "magical".

sircaw

Banned
Congrats!
I am absolutely ecstatic with the console.

The thing is whisper-quiet, you should hear my ps4 pro on some games.

Played Astro on it, what a marvelous little game.

I downloaded diablo 2 res overnight, the load screens are insane compared to the ps4, basically instant.

The controller is also great, love all the little features it has in that game.

As for negatives, the new interface is taking me a while to get used to, could not find the trophies for about 10 mins, did not know how to turn the damn thing off and could not find the amount of cash i had for the PlayStation store.

I had to google it, fs such a Dense Fish "lollipop_disappointed:

Was considering picking up Elden ring but might wait a patch or two for them to iron out the creases.

Neo_game

Is there any surprise which platform would fair better for a game developed by From software? it's a japanese studio. They won't spend more time optimizing Xbox compared to PS5.

Nobody should take this as an indication of hardware design or performance capabilities. Not every game is optimal on every platform.

lol it has nothing to do this being a Japanese game. It probably make sense that PS4 was the lead platform for this game but that is also the case for most games anyways. Xbox consoles are know for BC, porting, scaling the game etc. I think the problem here is that slight advantage Xbox has in power is negated as PS5 has less bottleneck in comparison. So PS5 seems to perform better than it's specs or Xbox is performing slightly worse due to it. CP2077 is a good example of modern engine running pretty much on par on both consoles.

You didn't show an intent to deceive. That's what makes a lie.
Taking big talk with no receipts. Good on you.
There are rarely intent receipt... At some point you need to figure out if someone is trustworthy or not.

If they are stupid enough to think that they lie, yet they say something that is verifiably true... This is such an edge case I don't see how you can bring it up unless you are trying to move goalposts or avoid the actual conversation.

Reactions: GHG
Come on now handsome fish we have dozens maybe hundreds of posts explaining/discussing the reasons of it since nearly 1.5 year now, and you were around.
Yes, it's all because games don't use VRS correctly, and they're still coded for the Xbox one then slightly adapted to series rdna 2. And we need to reach out to devs on twitter so that they fix their Xbox games to make sure that they perform as we know we should expect on series consoles!

DaGwaphics

Eh. The architecture between the two consoles is nearly identical save for the split ram architecture in the XSX and the PS5 IO. They literally both use the same Zen 2 CPU and GPUs from the same RNDA 2.0 family. Do you think devs go around optimizing for the 2070 and then do it all over again for the 2080? Of course not. If the game runs a 1440p 55 FPS on a 10 tflops RDNA 2.0 card, it should run at above 60 fps on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 card without any dev input. The fact that it does not is something you need to talk to MS engineers about.

The 2070/2080 comparison is 100% irrelevant here. In that instance the APIs will be identical, so, of course no additional work. In the case of PS5/Xbox/PC if the dev chooses to put little effort into the DirectX offering that will show, which seems to be the case here since this game is an atrocious performer on PC in comparison to other cross-gen titles. It is what it is. This is the reverse of how Bethesda titles typically turned out on PS where the overwhelming majority of dev time is on the DirectX version and the PS becomes an afterthought port. It happens.

With that said, I'm sure they'll get the hitching thing ironed out quickly which seems to be the primary issue with the PC release.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And you are not taking the account that on PCs with a slower sata SSD than the XSeries one, it loads the same or faster than on PS5.
And if that wasn't enough you have that the PS4 version loads almost like XSeries while XBO loads 2-3x slower than PS4.
Perhaps for some it is more consistent to think that not only the PS5 SSD is "magical", but also the PS4 HDD is "magical".
My comment is broad in general terms and optimizations or lack there of.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol it has nothing to do this being a Japanese game. It probably make sense that PS4 was the lead platform for this game but that is also the case for most games anyways. Xbox consoles are know for BC, porting, scaling the game etc. I think the problem here is that slight advantage Xbox has in power is negated as PS5 has less bottleneck in comparison. So PS5 seems to perform better than it's specs or Xbox is performing slightly worse due to it. CP2077 is a good example of modern engine running pretty much on par on both consoles.
Matrix too

DaGwaphics

Had not even noticed this. Very abnormal result between those systems, shows there is something not right with the way io is handled on Xbox with this one. Hopefully this is something they can get fixed up.

I think the performance issues are distracting from the fact that this is a really bad looking game. I get that this is a performance review thread, but tech critics need to hold studios accountable for producing PS3 era graphics. The game in the catacombs looks like Dark Souls 1. I am not exaggerating. The open world looks a little better but still a gen behind Horizon in every way and no the art style does not save the game here.

Maybe it looks better when you get to the castles, but sekiro did not look like this. Bloodborne and DS3 did not look this bad. BB especially had some gorgeous environments.

Are we ever going to have graphics analysis beyond just pixel and framerate counting?

I know NXGamer reads these threads, and I dont want to be overly critical of him since this is meant to be a performance review video, but I really hope we start to really be critical of games looking this bad in 2022.

P.S i played at 1440p 60 fps on High Settings on PC.
The catacombs look terrible. Open world is saved by art direction imo but it looks soft af on ps5

PaintTinJr

Had not even noticed this. Very abnormal result between those systems, shows there is something not right with the way io is handled on Xbox with this one. Hopefully this is something they can get fixed up.
Unlikely in my opinion, because as far as I can tell the IO complex or Velocity architecture isn't being used and this is bog standard compression on CPU cores of PS4 implementation - the major difference being that Sony bought a kraken license for all PS5 released games, which From probably used on CPU with rate adaption like the PS4 GoT implementation, and Xbox is using bog standard zlib, like PC, but PC can brute force it with monster CPU caches.

DaGwaphics

Unlikely in my opinion, because as far as I can tell the IO complex or Velocity architecture isn't being used and this is bog standard compression on CPU cores of PS4 implementation - the major difference being that Sony bought a kraken license for all PS5 released games, which From probably used on CPU with rate adaption like the PS4 GoT implementation, and Xbox is using bog standard zlib, like PC, but PC can brute force it with monster CPU caches.

Possibly, but a very unusual result for the base PS4/X1 at any rate.

PaintTinJr

Possibly, but a very unusual result for the base PS4/X1 at any rate.
The PS4 has an a big async compute advantage over the X1 IIRC, so that might be a factor if they are decompressing on both CPU and GPU on last-gen. The PC situation might be that it too uses Kraken, rather than zlib and Epic waived the license cost because they bought the company that own Oodle and Kraken IIRC.

PC is the only one that can stay at 60 fps.
It also came out on PC first.

It doesn't appear that the PC version is the best place for 60 fps. It has been repeated in this thread PS5 running the PS4 provides the best experience for this title. I suspect PlayStation was the lead platform for development.

oldergamer

The fact it came from a Japanese studio can mean all the difference in why it doesn't hit a consistent 60fps on either console. the way i see it, PS5 is easier to code for, and Series X needs more work to achieve higher performance.

Top Bottom