• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X | S Performance Review

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm 7hrs in and can definitely say the PC version is the definitive version to play. Native 4k and mostly 60FPS with low load times (ala PS5-like) with all details set to Max. The slow performance stuttering is coming from streaming at various locations on the map. It's literally location based and they need to optimize that. The good news about that is it's not the rendering suffering.

VFXVeteran

Banned

It doesn't appear that the PC version is the best place for 60 fps.
No way. The PS5 suffers from actual GPU performance and it literally looks horrible with several features *disabled* compared to the Max settings on the PC at native 4k.

It has been repeated in this thread PS5 running the PS4 provides the best experience for this title. I suspect PlayStation was the lead platform for development.
Not at all.

Last edited:
I don't think Microsoft will respond to that, other than some generic pr response.

I will say this though, it is extremely troubling to see the Xbox x not at least on par or performing better than the ps5.

The SSD for the Ps5 is a given as it's just much faster, but those 2 extra T-flops surely are meant to count for something, it really does not add up.

As for the Vrr capable television set, that i am afraid is just not acceptable, what % of people outside this forum, the general public etc, have a tv like that, a very small % I imagine.

I finally got my hands on a ps5 yesterday direct from sony, it's the none disk version, i paid 350 pounds for it with the delivery included.

To think that if i buy Elden Ring, not only am i getting better performance, much fast-loading but its all for 100 pounds less in price than a machine that is meant to be on paper better, these points are flabbergasting to me.

To my xbox colleagues, get on Twitter and start demanding better.

For the price you have paid and the potential performance of the specs, you deserve better.

Welcome to the club. Congrats on your PS5 I know it was hard to get mine.

It doesn't appear that the PC version is the best place for 60 fps. It has been repeated in this thread PS5 running the PS4 provides the best experience for this title. I suspect PlayStation was the lead platform for development.

That’s not why it’s a perfect 60FPS on the PS5. It’s because it’s running the PS4 version with higher clocks so the frame rate ended up being a locked 60FPS. This happens with several other titles like Sekiro for example.

Shmunter

The fact it came from a Japanese studio can mean all the difference in why it doesn't hit a consistent 60fps on either console. the way i see it, PS5 is easier to code for, and Series X needs more work to achieve higher performance.
Work needs to be split between X and S also

Banned
Work needs to be split between X and S also

not really. these 2 use the exact same APIs and the IO and CPU are basically identical. scaling down graphics is by far the easiest thing you can do in a modern engine. so that should never be an issue, especially for a game shipping on last gen

given the issues they have on PC with DX12, is it really surprising that the console that also uses a version of DX12 has the most issues?

btw. most likely all the PC issues could be fixed by them simply having a DX11 mode tbh. I get why they went with DX12 given their plan to have RT features after launch, but having a DX11 option as a safety net would have been the way to go for them.
their last 2 games ran perfectly fine on PC using DX11. I played through Sekiro on my old PC and it ran like an absolute dream at max settings 1440p60. I didn't see or feel a single frame drop...

so I really feel like DX12 got the best of them. but the PS5 version isn't much better either. so pretty fucked all around

Pedro Motta

I'm 7hrs in and can definitely say the PC version is the definitive version to play. Native 4k and mostly 60FPS with low load times (ala PS5-like) with all details set to Max. The slow performance stuttering is coming from streaming at various locations on the map. It's literally location based and they need to optimize that. The good news about that is it's not the rendering suffering.
Let me guess, on a 3090?
Do you realise that this GPU alone costs 6x the price of a PS5 nowadays?

Please stop with this Captain Obvious observations.

Banned

if you have the highest end hardware possible of course.
with beefy enough hardware the shader compilation stutters get minimized and that is clearly happening for you.

playing this game on ANY reasonable PC is dogshit as demonstrated by many users that stream it or tested it

Truespeed

This thread is magic. I went into it thinking it was a performance thread, but then I got sucked into this scandalous sub thread involving an alleged pre-purchased VRR TV that may or may not exist by someone who voted as having a VRR TV and now I need closure and receipts on this.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So wait, yet another AAA game running above 1080p on the series S? Maybe the marketing wasn't so misleading after all.

Shmunter

not really. these 2 use the exact same APIs and the IO and CPU are basically identical. scaling down graphics is by far the easiest thing you can do in a modern engine. so that should never be an issue, especially for a game shipping on last gen

given the issues they have on PC with DX12, is it really surprising that the console that also uses a version of DX12 has the most issues?

btw. most likely all the PC issues could be fixed by them simply having a DX11 mode tbh. I get why they went with DX12 given their plan to have RT features after launch, but having a DX11 option as a safety net would have been the way to go for them.
their last 2 games ran perfectly fine on PC using DX11. I played through Sekiro on my old PC and it ran like an absolute dream at max settings 1440p60. I didn't see or feel a single frame drop...

so I really feel like DX12 got the best of them. but the PS5 version isn't much better either. so pretty fucked all around
Same api’s yes. But different performance and memory on each. Tailoring is necessary, QA on each required.

Kagey K

Banned
OyUDmPd.gif

Hilarious that people still choose to ignore that Cerny video. Twitter fanboys bragging about raw specs they don't understand. Good shit still coming back to haunt them.
I don't think I would use this game for console warring, but you do you.

Zathalus

No way. The PS5 suffers from actual GPU performance and it literally looks horrible with several features *disabled* compared to the Max settings on the PC at native 4k.
What features are those exactly? The only differences I saw (outside of resolution) was increased shadow resolution and grass fade-in distance on PC. Everything else (textures, reflections, effects, and lighting) all appear the same.

As for performance, literally thousands of people and reputable outlets have mentioned the stutters and FPS drops on PC.

NXGamer

I guess in this case, ignorance is bliss. The PC is 100%, NOT the definitive version at the moment, if you cannot see the wood for the trees you are just lost in the Forest and risk taking others with you.

Shmunter

I guess in this case, ignorance is bliss. The PC is 100%, NOT the definitive version at the moment, if you cannot see the wood for the trees you are just lost in the Forest and risk taking others with you.
He’s not taking anyone down the garden path anymore, there’s a reason he’s been “unverified”.

No bigger a troll than one incapable of criticising own preference in hardware and invents things to support the cause of own ‘war’

PaintTinJr

Yeah the risk of taking others along for the ride - that don't have his system with a RTX 3090 - in a time of no demos - on consoles/PC - is IMHO the problem with making such statements about an anecdotal experience that isn't shared by many - judging by your excellent performance coverage and other outlets.

I wonder if his comment is slightly offset against him still being in the vein of enjoying working around the PC config problems, as an added bonus to gaming on PC. Just before I stopped gaming on PC as my main platform I realised I enjoyed troubleshooting and performance tweaking more than gaming on the PC.

If there was a demo of this, I could already see myself downloading it and trying a ram drive setup with symlinks for assets I thought might be causing hitching, etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The fact it came from a Japanese studio can mean all the difference in why it doesn't hit a consistent 60fps on either console. the way i see it, PS5 is easier to code for, and Series X needs more work to achieve higher performance.

I'd suspect its mostly the challenge of managing 4 targets within the same GDK and API's. I can't speak with certainty about this but I'd strongly suspect that MS' efforts in managing forwards/backwards compatibility involve a higher degree of hardware abstraction than what is usual on Sony's platforms. And of course with abstraction code-paths become more prescribed and limited meaning that its more likely for efficiency to be lost if a major engineering effort isn't put into optimization.

And it has to be said that its also probable that platform technical support for Xbox in Japan is less good than in the US or Europe. So advice on particular issues and workarounds may take longer to be communicated to the engine team, something that's not a critical failure but over time adds a degree of inertia to the development process.

The truth of the matter is that while FROM have more experience with Xbox than many Japanese devs, I think its hard to argue that they aren't closer to Sony historically, which is likely of benefit.

Seems like with Fallout 76 (now Elden Ring is a much better game) but the Souls players are fed up with the shitty performance now after so many games like this.

There is always a boiling point.

Also it proves that reviewers don’t account for performance or anything like that for reviews. This game would not be reviewed so highly if so.

Markio128

I tried it for a couple of hours last night in PS5 quality mode and it seemed perfectly playable to me. Maybe I’m not as susceptible to these things as other people are.

Lysandros

What about a being a Japanese studio has to do with performance in itself? Are you saying that Japanese developers don't know how to code properly? What we will say when a western developed game will have inconsitent performance, like it usually happens?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
if you have the highest end hardware possible of course.
with beefy enough hardware the shader compilation stutters get minimized and that is clearly happening for you.

playing this game on ANY reasonable PC is dogshit as demonstrated by many users that stream it or tested it
But I'm hearing it's dogshit on even 3080 GPUs. That's my point.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What features are those exactly? The only differences I saw (outside of resolution) was increased shadow resolution and grass fade-in distance on PC. Everything else (textures, reflections, effects, and lighting) all appear the same.
The foliage density has been removed from performance versions. Also, the rendering itself at a higher resolution (i.e. native 4k) will inevitably make the entire frame look better (alas don't forget HFW's resolution mode that brings out all the detail that everyone was praising - it applies with any other native 4k game as well).

As for performance, literally thousands of people and reputable outlets have mentioned the stutters and FPS drops on PC.
I'm not saying they are wrong. I'm only talking about people claiming they have high-end systems.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Jesus Christ now you start to appear embarrassing. Really.

“Several features have been removed from PS5” 😂

PS5 has removed foliage density - what does this even mean? PS5 has no foliage!?!
And resolution is a feature now….😂

These are the ‘several’ features that have been removed…Jesus wept, such low level trolling

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
“Several features have been removed from PS5” 😂

PS5 has removed foliage density - what does this even mean? PS5 has no foliage!?!
And resolution is a feature now….😂

These are the ‘several’ features that have been removed…Jesus wept, such low level trolling
Seems he lose any kind of rationality when ps5 is part of the conversation. It's nothing of new

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What am I going to do?

Turn it on.
I love how all these idiots think that having a console preference means you don't own and play on other consoles as well. I laugh hard whenever I see posts like that. My SX shits on my PS5 as far as use time, but shockingly I can still play PS5 games if I want to, an even do sometimes 😲.

This game though? Not buying it anywhere until they patch this mess, which knowing From, may never happen. VRR is an option, but sadly I do not own a compatible TV yet.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Jesus Christ now you start to appear embarrassing. Really.

This one is hardly a "looker", I'm not sure how you could argue with that. Honestly, if someone had passed off a lot of screenshots from this as coming from a ps360 game I would not question it. Are you saying you don't think the highest settings available in the PC version of the game are higher than those used with the XSX/PS5?

Fans of this genre seem to be enjoying how the game plays, that's the more important thing anyway.

Last edited:
PS5 version is not bad and perfectly playable. Is it as good as what Bluepoint did? no, the smooth frame rate they pulled off with Demons Souls is amazing but this is From and not Bluepoint. They are making great money on this so I'm hoping they tighten it up a little but they have never been great at system optimization so maybe the little hitches and frame rate drops is what we will have to deal with. The XB versions will also get some improvements, has to. Also the open world must be harder to optimize for.

I've played them all and I was never the best at boss battles that frame rate hits the shitter and with Demons souls I had no problem and solo'd it 3x so far. If MS and Sony were smart they would be sending some engineers to From to see if they can help them a little bit. Xbox version load times must be able to be improved a bit as 2.4 isn't as good as Sony's but its still pretty damn fast.

From is about gameplay, they never optimize anything. If Bethesda made this game it would be much worse.

Patiently waiting for an ultrawide mod and performance patch. From doesn't believe in patches, but this launch has enough people complaining about it, so hopefully it comes true. This game has a beautiful art style, especially in full native 4k, minus the stutters

PS5 version is not bad and perfectly playable. Is it as good as what Bluepoint did? no, the smooth frame rate they pulled off with Demons Souls is amazing but this is From and not Bluepoint. They are making great money on this so I'm hoping they tighten it up a little but they have never been great at system optimization so maybe the little hitches and frame rate drops is what we will have to deal with. The XB versions will also get some improvements, has to. Also the open world must be harder to optimize for.

I've played them all and I was never the best at boss battles that frame rate hits the shitter and with Demons souls I had no problem and solo'd it 3x so far. If MS and Sony were smart they would be sending some engineers to From to see if they can help them a little bit. Xbox version load times must be able to be improved a bit as 2.4 isn't as good as Sony's but its still pretty damn fast.

From is about gameplay, they never optimize anything. If Bethesda made this game it would be much worse.
No. Bad performance should never be accepted no matter who the dev is and how great the gameplay is.

It's 'tolerable only because we have no choice

Riky

$MSFT
I love how all these idiots think that having a console preference means you don't own and play on other consoles as well. I laugh hard whenever I see posts like that. My SX shits on my PS5 as far as use time, but shockingly I can still play PS5 games if I want to, an even do sometimes 😲.

This game though? Not buying it anywhere until they patch this mess, which knowing From, may never happen. VRR is an option, but sadly I do not own a compatible TV yet.

Yes it's quite bizarre, they think I don't want better performance on my PS5 because reasons?
Having a very smooth ride on Elden Ring at the moment, you just can't tell it's not a locked 60fps, enjoying it and I'm not a big Souls type fan.

Jose92

[Membe
I can't tell anymore if you are playing a satire persona or actually a PC warrior who is a self proclaimed vfx engineer.

Ultra Donny

I'm mostly annoyed with the loading time's on Xsx. Wouldn't cry if the poor performance got sorted. Since I'm not so good at the game and I'm dying a lot the 20 seconds it gets to respawn gets tedious. Well there are worse things to complain about. But I have to say that the atmosphere and art direction makes it worth it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What's the cost of your system?>

Please, break it down, i want to hear how much the definitive version costs!
I'm not trying to sell people. I'm only talking about my experience.

Hopefully the performance problems will be fixed for the PC and the consoles and we can all get back to playing the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought all three versions because im crazy I guess.. mainly playingon PC first but have different character builds on each platform.
XsX with VRR on does give the smoothest experience on console but I cant get over the load times. My PC loads the fastest (PCIE 4 m.2) Ps5 is a close second but it just makes the XsX seem like it loads forever even though its no where near 14 secs on avg it does hurt when you are use to faster on the other platforms.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I'm mostly annoyed with the loading time's on Xsx. Wouldn't cry if the poor performance got sorted. Since I'm not so good at the game and I'm dying a lot the 20 seconds it gets to respawn gets tedious. Well there are worse things to complain about. But I have to say that the atmosphere and art direction makes it worth it.
Don't worry, those 20 seconds load times will come down, i am sure of it, hopefully to the sub 10 second times in a very near-to-be-released patch.

I know what a pain it used to be when i was playing older dark souls games.

Fingers crossed for you, and hope it does not take too long to fix/improve. :messenger_heart:

Happy now BigLee74 BigLee74 FFS "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I bought all three versions because im crazy I guess.. mainly playingon PC first but have different character builds on each platform.
XsX with VRR on does give the smoothest experience on console but I cant get over the load times. My PC loads the fastest (PCIE 4 m.2) Ps5 is a close second but it just makes the XsX seem like it loads forever even though its no where near 14 secs on avg it does hurt when you are use to faster on the other platforms.
Yea, I tested my load speed and it's pretty fast with my PCIE 4.0 m.2

VFXVeteran

Banned
BREAKING NEWS! THE RTX 3090 ON THE PC us the best way to play Eldin Ring!

Really? I didn't see THAT happening?!

Yeah, he is showing his true colors with posts like that.
There are no true colors to show. All I did was state that my experience with the game with my hardware is the most ideal FOR ME. I understand most people can't afford the system that I have. Totally understand.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Been playing on the ps5:
  1. Game looks great
  2. There’s barely any load time
  3. Screen don’t tear
  4. Framedrops rarely happens and are not really noticeable, it’s close to 60fps I think, I can’t really say, just looks and feels very smooth.
  5. I haven’t noticed any stutter
Ps5 is the definitive way to play right now. And the performance reactions seems massively overblown.

Top Bottom