• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer/IGN: Gran Turismo 7: PS5 vs PS4 Performance Review

Arioco

The PS5 version looks exactly the same as the PS4 version, except at high resolution.

Not really, it has better settings all around. Pretty much everything from textures to ambient occlusion is better on PS5. Draw distance, shadow quality, material... The list goes on and on.

That on top of the huge resolution bump, of course. The difference is bigger than usual, 2.88 million native pixels on Pro vs 8.294.400 million pixels on PS5, almost a 3X multiplier in number of pixels alone.

Even if we ignore the use of Ray Tracing I think this is one of the biggest deltas between PS4 Pro and PS5 we've seen so far. Guilty Gear Strive goes from 1080p on Pro to 4K on PS5 (4X) but it doesn't have better settings on PS5 nor does it make use or any form of RT at all. GT7 is up there with Death Stranding DC.

BigLee74

Half the replies in here are defending frame rate dips! Single track/forced conditions or not, you don’t want any dip in a racing game. I’m pretty sure they could have worked around it with some DRS?

All in all it looks good, but I think it’s obvious racing games have peaked graphically (outwith Ray Tracing, which these machines aren’t quite up to speed for). There is just no generational leap anymore. Cars are pretty much perfect already, and race track environments too (though generally dull and sterile).

I have super fond memories of the original GT. Things have certainly come on since those days.

Enjoy, Blue Hamiltons!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS4 vs PS5 is an Olympic athlete vs casual pedestrian. I’m with last gen games it’s funny because I thought they should kill that generation, you can’t ignore that gigantic player base but GT8/GTSport2!you’re giving all that love to the PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
The immediately noticeable differences are RT in replays (obviously), but in game play the biggest difference is shadow quality and distant LoD better on PS5.

Otherwise, at a glance they look very similar. This is a closer cross-gen comparison than Horizon FW is, minus selective-RT.

165jm8.png

23gkk8.png

30hkwy.png
People tried to move that same narrative with Horizon FW with compressed videos and pics from YouTube.
The result was one of the biggest cross-gen difference this generation.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
all versions look great and ps5 is flexing its power with higher settings as expected.

looking Forward to picking this up, it looks Effing awesome.

take me back to my youth GT7!

see you online bishes

and ethomaz ethomaz this is a prime example of why I was saying VRR is a game changer a while back. In the freak situation where the engine is stressed beyond what the developer has maybe planned or accounted for VRR will be there to smooth out the gameplay while the drop happens.

I just know Sony are going to unlock it soon thanks to the TVs getting the firmware and I can’t wait. Will be awesome and look forward to everyone being able to enjoy VRR smooth gameplay.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
all versions look great and ps5 is flexing its power with higher settings as expected.

looking Forward to picking this up, it looks Effing awesome.

take me back to my youth GT7!

see you online bishes

and ethomaz ethomaz this is a prime example of why I was saying VRR is a game changer a while back. In the freak situation where the engine is stressed beyond what the developer has maybe planned or accounted for VRR will be there to smooth out the gameplay while the drop happens.

I just know Sony are going to unlock it soon thanks to the TVs getting the firmware and I can’t wait. Will be awesome and look forward to everyone being able to enjoy VRR smooth gameplay.
This game just will take use of VRR in Trail Mountain... so I hope PD fix it and you don't need VRR at all.

BigLee74

Quote those 27 posts for us.
So you go all anal on the hyperbole, but do you agree with the rest of the post?

I see ethomaz ethomaz had his normal laugh. What you laughing at, ethomaz ethomaz ? Please enlighten? At the same time, please spare me your 100th post on this forum about how its ‘only one track/or one convoluted setup that shows frame dips’.

Fuck, there’s me and my hyperbole again. It’s probably only 50 times you’ve mentioned it.

ethomaz

Banned
So you go all anal on the hyperbole, but do you agree with the rest of the post?

I see ethomaz ethomaz had his normal laugh. What you laughing at, ethomaz ethomaz ? Please enlighten? At the same time, please spare me your 100th post on this forum about how its ‘only one track/or one convoluted setup that shows frame dips’.

Fuck, there’s me and my hyperbole again. It’s probably only 50 times you’ve mentioned it.
My laughing is when you write something laughable lol
Try read your post.

1. Nobody in the thread defended framerate dropping.
2. The framerate is not drooping like the usual comments tries to made up... it drops in Trial Mountain (that needs to be fixed) and in a forced scenario that 99.99% of the players won't face because you know you need to force it to happen.
3. Why a locked 60fps game needs DRS or even VRR?

DRS is a drowngrade in IQ not needed here... the game is locked in 60fps with the exception of Trial Mountain that is probably the last location (ou of 36) that they worked so it is a big unpolished... fix it and so you have everything in 60fps.

You guys asks for drastic changes that downgrades the quality of the game when the answer is pretty simple... fix Trial Mountain and you have a perfect locked 60fps game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because the same happened with the same video with Horizon FW.
When direct 4k feedback started to show people realized how joke was that thread.

Edit - Remember: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/horizon-forbidden-west-graphics-comparison-ps4-vs-ps5.1630416/

Ok I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that I'm using the same video another user did to show a draw distance difference.

I acknowledged in my post that the draw distance and shadow quality are the big notable differences, otherwise they look similar.

We'll see when DF does their cross-gen comparison how different they look, but based on NXGamers video it looks a lot closer than HFW.

Last edited:

BigLee74

My laughing is when you write something laughable lol
Try read your post.

1. Nobody in the thread defended framerate dropping.
2. The framerate is not drooping like the usual comments tries to made up... it drops in Trial Mountain (that needs to be fixed) and in a forced scenario that 99.99% of the players won't face because you know you need to force it to happen.
3. Why a locked 60fps game needs DRS or even VRR?

1. Not what I read.
2. I asked you kindly not to repeat this for the one squillionth time 😁 (and here is proof of 1.)
3. As proved by 2, it’s not locked, and therefore would benefit from DRS or VRR? Am I doing this wrong?

In case you need your little ego massaged, I’m not knocking GT. Nothing but fond memories of the game, and this version looks good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game just will take use of VRR in Trail Mountain... so I hope PD fix it and you don't need VRR at all.

True, a patch would be the ideal solution I was just saying that it's a good example of a best use case scenario for bleeding edge tech. VRR would sort the issue for those who have invested in their set ups until a patch is deployed.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For the love of God please stop acting like a game never ever dropping a frame is a reasonable expectation on a console or other fixed spec hardware device. There is no historical precedent for this. Games since the beginning of time have framed out during moments of maximum stress, and its a good sign because it shows the hardware is being utilized to the utmost.

Its not a mortal sin, its normal operation. Deal with it, because realistically unless you are always running software on hardware specced vastly above what is actually required, its always going to happen and especially often with titles with large deltas in processing load during operation.

iHaunter

PS5 players waiting for PS4 players to load into online race:

giphy.gif
OMG I did not think of this! If you're playing online, you may have to wait yeah.
For the love of God please stop acting like a game never ever dropping a frame is a reasonable expectation on a console or other fixed spec hardware device. There is no historical precedent for this. Games since the beginning of time have framed out during moments of maximum stress, and its a good sign because it shows the hardware is being utilized to the utmost.

Its not a mortal sin, its normal operation. Deal with it, because realistically unless you are always running software on hardware specced vastly above what is actually required, its always going to happen and especially often with titles with large deltas in processing load during operation.
I'm not worried tbh. Games don't have an infinite amount of time to be optimized and polished. It'll be patched into perfection. As long as the RELEASE is strong, that's all that matters. Look at Elden Ring release. So many bugs, issues, frame stuttering, even on consoles. Still a great game overall.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
1. Not what I read.
2. I asked you kindly not to repeat this for the one squillionth time 😁 (and here is proof of 1.)
3. As proved by 2, it’s not locked, and therefore would benefit from DRS or VRR? Am I doing this wrong?

In case you need your little ego massaged, I’m not knocking GT. Nothing but fond memories of the game, and this version looks good.
How do you want not to receive a laugh reason with that post?

1. Show to us any post defending drop in framerate, please?
2. But that is a fact... you want to create a new story/narrative against the reality but that is not how it works.
3. It is 60fps locked with the two exceptions cases (a location unpolished out of 36 and a forced case that you won't have playing the game) lol what beneficies has DRS and VRR in a locked 60fps scenario? The only place DRS will happen and VRR will turn on is Trial Mountain.

And I said why DRS is not a good option because it is hard to implement and drops IQ... man just do a patch in Trial Mountain will basically ends all discussion.
VRR will come to PS5 but this game won't beneficie from it except if Trial Mountain is still unfixed until there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ok I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that I'm using the same video another user did to show a draw distance difference.

I acknowledged in my post that the draw distance and shadow quality are the big notable differences, otherwise they look similar.

We'll see when DF does their cross-gen comparison how different they look, but based on NXGamers video it looks a lot closer than HFW.
I should explain better...

The source video you guys are using have a very low quality plus YT compressed it like a hell... and your pic while being in the correct format is 1080p that basically removes any difference you have on PS5 native 4k IQ.

That is why people have the impression the difference are minimal like happened with Horizon before launch.

When direct feed 4k footage emerge the situation will probably be close to Horizon with "WOW that is one of the best looking game I ever saw".

Last edited:

BigLee74

How do you want not to receive a laugh reason with that post?

1. Show to us any post defending drop in framerate, please?
2. But that is a fact... you want to create a new story/narrative against the reality but that is not how it works.
3. It is 60fps locked with the two exceptions cases (a location unpolished out of 36 and a forced case that you won't have playing the game) lol what beneficies has DRS and VRR in a locked 60fps scenario? The only place DRS will happen and VRR will turn on is Trial Mountain.

And I said why DRS is not a good option because it is hard to implement and drops IQ... man just do a patch in Trial Mountain will basically ends all discussion.
VRR will come to PS5 but this game won't beneficie from it except if Trial Mountain is still unfixed until there.

*Ethomaz defends frame dips*
*Ethomaz demands posts of people who are defending frame dips*

🤷‍♂️

I’m done with this little discussion. Enjoy the game, I’m sure you will!

OZ9000

Banned
The immediately noticeable differences are RT in replays (obviously), but in game play the biggest difference is shadow quality and distant LoD better on PS5.

Otherwise, at a glance they look very similar. This is a closer cross-gen comparison than Horizon FW is, minus selective-RT.

165jm8.png

23gkk8.png

30hkwy.png
Yeah it's mainly improved clarity.

Everything else is 99% identical.

Too bad - I miss the days when Polyphony were the defacto visual kings. Remember GT3? Utterly mind blowing at the time.

ethomaz

Banned
*Ethomaz defends frame dips*
*Ethomaz demands posts of people who are defending frame dips*

🤷‍♂️

I’m done with this little discussion. Enjoy the game, I’m sure you will!
Wut?

Sorry but I need to ask proof… where is the proof I defended ever framerate drops? I defended locked 30fps but never framerate drops.

Riky

$MSFT
The straw man argument that people do not agree with locked framerates, nobody says that.
They are just incredibly rare so a feature that mitigates the drops is a win no matter how you cut it.

The straw man argument that people do not agree with locked framerates, nobody says that.
They are just incredibly rare so a feature that mitigates the drops is a win no matter how you cut it.

It's also not a huge problem for this title. Granted it would be nice if the PS5 had your baby but it doesn't break this game if it doesn't have it.

They really focused on making the game look the best as possible on the PS4 and just pushed all the pixels on PS5 with brute force. Apart from the extra pixels and filtering, there isn't really many extras on PS5 , don't you agree ethomaz ethomaz ?
Even so... It's not Polyphony style to focus too much on super detailed tracks, so I don't think the jump will be big on a future GT8. The focus of the game is all about pleasing competitive players.

Last edited:
Even if u have a ps5 these base PS4 loading will be a curse for u in multiplayer because even if u load in 3 seconds , u gota wait for the PS4 user to start the race , this is why I despise cross gen.

ethomaz

Banned
Even if u have a ps5 these base PS4 loading will be a curse for u in multiplayer because even if u load in 3 seconds , u gota wait for the PS4 user to start the race , this is why I despise cross gen.
I agree.
That is not just a issue with Cross-gen but Cross-play too.
People will only have the same fair experience in the same ecosystem/platform... so PS4 should not play with PS5 users in multiplayer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They really focused on making the game look the best as possible on the PS4 and just pushed all the pixels on PS5 with brute force. Apart from the extra pixels and filtering, there isn't really many extras on PS5 , don't you agree ethomaz ethomaz ?
Even so... It's not Polyphony style to focus too much on super detailed tracks, so I don't think the jump will be big on a future GT8. The focus of the game is all about pleasing competitive players.
I need to see direct 4k feed first but for now seems like PS5 version have a lot more than just 4k.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wish people would stop using "locked 60fps" incorrectly. Locked means it doesn't waver. This does. "Near constant" 60fps is a better description.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also incorrectly stated that all effects including shadows and alpha effects are full resolution. Shadows cast from cars in headlights are nowhere near full resolution.
Whether it's a person, company or website saying "locked", it's due to historically people not being able to tell if it was close enough and there were no pixel counters to prove or disprove it. So you can get away saying it's locked.

Unknown?

Forza Motorsport 7 runs at native 4K on Xbox One X with 60 fps lock and thus, pulls out the same feat on XSX, what are you talking about? (Forza Horizon 5 can also run 4k60 on XSX)

Regardless, I'm sure Forza 7 looks worse than GT7 does native on PS5. And I also think the GT7 PS4 version can look better than Forza 7 on the Xbox One.

I'm speaking of the engine tech and it's scalability, not the game; don't take it any other way. And I'm not saying their tech is bad (as in some fronts it's clearly the gold standard), I'm saying it can be better/it's dated and not overly scalable on some fronts.
According to DF Sport already edged out F7 in their original comparison and with dynamic weather it's just another pro for GT7 on PS4.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Many games don’t drop frames on consoles, ever. Forza, the direct competitor for gran turismo, doesn’t drop frames. It’s locked 30 or 60fps depending on the game/console.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Whether it's a person, company or website saying "locked", it's due to historically people not being able to tell if it was close enough and there were no pixel counters to prove or disprove it. So you can get away saying it's locked.
Yet we are in a thread about a video where they have frame rate counting tools and graphs and the “expert” still uses the terms incorrectly. They should be corrected so they can improve and use the correct terms.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The alternative is longer matchmaking times and/or unplayable online due to significantly smaller player bases. Hmmm I wonder which is better?

Last edited:

Karak

Ya sad about some of the frame drops.
Game is still incredible looking a lot of the time but every once in a while the FPS would dump on a couple of corners and you could really feel it.

Outlier

This is sad... Ever since GT5 PD have been dropping the ball on stable frame rates.
I remember doing the first license test in GT5 and the second I hit the gas the frames dropped. It was a jarring experience, considering how stable GT3/4 were.

The luster of graphics only last so long, before consistent gameplay immersion is required to keep the player engaged.

sendit

These outlets should start testing base PS4 with SSD as well, instead of saying 10 times difference against a console with crap HDD that is user replaceable. It just doesn't tell us much, games with lots of compression and pre-baking benefit less (so the improvement is usually 30%), some games huge loadings will jump to half. I like knowing which is which.

Increasingly, (replacing the HDD) is what people stuck on PS4's are doing, after all it's user replaceable).
Did you watch the video? He clearly states the spindle drive in the PS4 Pro was replaced with an SSD. I'm not sure when or if people will ever understand that this isn't just about SSD speed. Some of the PS5 advantages over the PS4 are clearly laid out:

• Faster CPU (directly affects loading times)
  • Hardware decompression
  • Direct access from storage to vram

Top Bottom