• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 2: REmake - PS5 | SX | SS | PC Ray Tracing Update - Technology & Performance Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

With Capcom releasing a new set of patches for the excellent Resident Evil 2: REmake, Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil VII. I had no choice but to return to Racoon City and get all the answers. From Series X, PS5, Series S and even PC, I cover them all from graphic settings, resolutions, performance and more. Be afraid of the shadows.....and Ray, Ray T, he is well scary.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is there any reason to keep the PS4 versions of RE7, RE2 or RE3? I'd like to reclaim the SSD space.

adamsapple

Summary:

- 3 modes. Standard non RT 60 FPS. High Frame Rate (120 target). RT 60 FPS.
- Series S also gets all modes.
- RT On mode also improves GI bounce (my note: this was also the same case in Village)

- PS5/SX target 2160p, but unlike last gen, now it's targeting native without reconstruction.
- 120 FPS mode also targets the same with reduction in shadows etc, could be dynamic but NXG did not notice in testing.
- Series S targets 1440p in non RT mode but not in other modes. In RT and 120 FPS modes it targets 1296p.

- RT fixes the reflection issues (broken SSR) from previous gen and non RT modes.
- Consoles (PS5/SX) target High RT equivalent settings compared to PC.

- RT mode starts off well but can dip sub 30 FPS in some very select sections which brings them out of VRR range.
- In heavy combat and heavy lighting area generally can be 40~ range
- "Overall the series X performs ever so slightly better" (in RT On mode)

- Non RT is 100% locked on both without a single drop.
- 120 FPS mode generally doesn't go below 85~ FPS in worst segments.
- 120 FPS has the best input latency and most consistent as per NXG

- Series S: NXG thinks a 30 FPS RT mode cap should have been added.
- Non RT 60 FPS mode is by locked with maybe a dip or two max.
- 120 FPS mode footage shown generally runs between 60~100 FPS.
- NXG thinks Capcom did a good job with the Series S version overall.

- NXG's overclocked RTX 2070 is always 100% GPU utilized and can run 15~20% slower than PS5 and SX with SX being slightly faster.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Is there any reason to keep the PS4 versions of RE7, RE2 or RE3? I'd like to reclaim the SSD space.

Absolutely none.

You can get a 100% locked 60 FPS at native 4K if you turn the RT off. That's better than what the last gens mid-gens did already.

And then you have RT and 120 FPS modes over that.

You can safely let the last gen versions of all 3 games go now.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
dj-khaled-bottle.gif

bender

What time is it?
Absolutely none.

You can get a 100% locked 60 FPS at native 4K if you turn the RT off. That's better than what the last gens mid-gens did already.

And then you have RT and 120 FPS modes over that.

You can safely let the last gen versions of all 3 games go now.

Huzzah!

DukeNukem00

Banned
3060/5700 are better than 2070 so its ok I think. Same settings than console BTW?

Doubtfull. He never spends time trying to match settings nor does he ever show the process. The newer Resident Evil games run more performant on Turing and Ampere than on RDNA 2. Alex matched the console settings for RE8 with RT on Series X and it performed cca the same as a 2070S.

Unless something is broken here there is exactly zero chance of ps5 going 20% over that card. By this point, after 99% of games behaving between 2060S and 2070S(on rare ocassions) you would think we're passed the point of trying to make these consoles seem more than what they actually are

Arioco

Summary:

- 3 modes. Standard non RT 60 FPS. High Frame Rate (120 target). RT 60 FPS.
- Series S also gets all modes.
- RT On mode also improves GI bounce (my note: this was also the same case in Village)

- PS5/SX target 2160p, but unlike last gen, now it's targeting native without reconstruction.
- 120 FPS mode also targets the same with reduction in shadows etc, could be dynamic but NXG did not notice in testing.
- Series S targets 1440p in non RT mode but not in other modes. In RT and 120 FPS modes it targets 1296p.

- RT fixes the reflection issues (broken SSR) from previous gen and non RT modes.
- Consoles (PS5/SX) target High RT equivalent settings compared to PC.

- RT mode starts off well but can dip sub 30 FPS in some very select sections which brings them out of VRR range.
- In heavy combat and heavy lighting area generally can be 40~ range

- Non RT is 100% locked on both without a single drop.
- 120 FPS mode generally doesn't go below 85~ FPS in worst segments.
- 120 FPS has the best input latency and most consistent as per NXG

- Series S: NXG thinks a 30 FPS RT mode cap should have been added.
- Non RT 60 FPS mode is by locked with maybe a dip or two max.
- 120 FPS mode footage shown generally runs between 60~100 FPS.
- NXG thinks Capcom did a good job with the Series S version overall.

- NXG's overclocked RTX 2070 is always 100% GPU utilized and can run 15~20% slower than PS5 and SX with SX being slightly faster.

So do we finally need that glasses? Or is NXGamer who needs them too? Can't watch the video right now but I need to know.

Last edited:
I get 50 to 90 fps on a 2070s at 1440p with max settings and medium RT (I assume the consoles are below max) so dropping the res on console would give a playable RT mode. The current mode is just awful.

The 120fps mode is really nice though and feels so nice to play.

There is also something happening with the console image if it is native 4k as it looks very soft compared to PC.

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

GIF makes it look worse but provided for the lazy:
36en6yz.gif

Kuranghi

I was excited about the 4K60 non-RT mode since I could only do 1440p60 or 2160p30 on my GTX 1080 keeping it locked in cutscenes (and thats with optimised settings which consists mostly of: medium volumetrics, no SSR and no DoF since those are massive hogs and both look awful at all times or most of the time respectively) but of course its the subpar interlaced rendering thingie so its not really like native 4K at all, its way better on consoles than the PC interlaced option and looks a better than native 1440p aliasing wise but then the game is very soft to begin with so no being able to apply disable the in-game sharpening and apply (much better) driver sharpening + chromatic abberation being stuck on means its still way better on PC at native 1440p for me.

I'd rather just cap to optimise on PC, do the ultimate trainer tweaks to remove distant half-rate animations and the horrible sharpening, lock to 30fps and enjoy the eye candy. I already beat the game at 1728p"60" the first time I played it so I don't need that responsiveness any more when running it for fun, at 1728p the "60fps" meant massive drops in every cutscene close up and even some gameplay parts with heavy alpha.

Then I thought oh hey but I don't have RT on my 1080, lets get it for RT! Oh except the performance is trash because they didn't optimise the game any better than it was before and the settings are too high for console to keep a small delta in the framerate, SSR and DoF should be off on console to keep the framerate stable, especially during cutscenes. I don't have access to it but not even VRR can save it when the drops are that low on PS5, even XS in some cases since it goes so low.

Boo-urns! I'll just wait til I get my 4080 to play it in 4K60 locked. Or steal a go on my flatmates 3080ti and see how that fairs.

Kuranghi

"Let's target the same 4k resolution when enabling raytracing"

Did somebody at Capcom even playtest this?

Exactly pal, absolute optimisational submentals.

AND its not even native 4K in either, so really it should've been 1080p native or 1656p with the interlacing to get close to 60 with RT on, but even then it wouldn't be locked in cutscenes I'd bet.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I get 50 to 90 fps on a 2070s at 1440p with max settings and medium RT (I assume the consoles are below max) so dropping the res on console would give a playable RT mode. The current mode is just awful.

There is also something happening with the console image if it is native 4k as it looks very soft compared to PC.

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif
Chromatic aberration.
67b.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif

If that's just chromatic aberration destroying the console versions, that sucks. It looks so much softer than the PC.

adamsapple

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif

Chromattic Aberration and I guess TAA + FXAA anti aliasing.

Just TAA will be sharper but a little bit noisier in movement.

But yeah, this should be another example of why aiming for native 2160p isn't always *that* good of an idea.

MikeM

I’m gonna watch this later. Always appreciate NXGamer’s analysis.

Currently playing RE2 on high framerate mode on PS5 and its fantastic. Shoutout LG C1 VRR.

Banned

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif

that's only on PS5. the PS5's TAA is noticeably more blurry than on PC or Series X.
I noticed this in RE3 in another thread when I attempted to pixelcount the game on both platforms.
it was really hard to do on PS5 due to the soft image

Mithos

RT in RE2 + RE3 Remake, is a nope for me (PC).
Having to drop resolution down from 4K (1080p with 200% render resolution) is a 100% NOPE, because without it the games image quality look really bad.

Having a 100% locked 60fps at my current settings 4K (1080p with 200% render resolution).
Dropping render resolution to 150% w RT medium do not lock at 60fps (45-60fps) and going down to 1080p is not happening.

Might even rollback to older/previous build so I can keep mod support.

adamsapple

My man cherrypicked a scene where both sides are nothing alike. I wouldn't expect anything less from you :messenger_beaming:

smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes-and-hand-covering-mouth_1f92d.png

It seems that the El Analista de Bits supremacy has come to an end.

You may notice the posters who were touting it in the other thread and calling the rest "blind" are conspicuously absent here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom