• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 2: REmake - PS5 | SX | SS | PC Ray Tracing Update - Technology & Performance Analysis

Shmunter

that's only on PS5. the PS5's TAA is noticeably more blurry than on PC or Series X.
I noticed this in RE3 in another thread when I attempted to pixelcount the game on both platforms.
it was really hard to do on PS5 due to the soft image
Could explain the smoother vertical lines with less jaggies on ps5 in your screenshots in another thread.

Last edited:
I get 50 to 90 fps on a 2070s at 1440p with max settings and medium RT (I assume the consoles are below max) so dropping the res on console would give a playable RT mode. The current mode is just awful.

The 120fps mode is really nice though and feels so nice to play.

There is also something happening with the console image if it is native 4k as it looks very soft compared to PC.

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

GIF makes it look worse but provided for the lazy:
36en6yz.gif

That looks like a poor upscaling method from 1/4 th resolution on p5.

Right I haven't compared them in motion which might show a different story so this is only provided for info and definitely not as a fact but the PS5 image looks closer to PC with FSR than it does native.

27NhGqj.gif

V9sK5YZ.jpg

h7eF3Ay.jpg

ev0CPaK.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Does the series x look like the ps5, that softer image looks really bad and could explain the cleaner lines we saw in the other thread but overall softer, ruined image.

Strange that NX gamer didn't spot this if its only in the ps5 version.

Ozriel

M$FT
- NXG's overclocked RTX 2070 is always 100% GPU utilized and can run 15~20% slower than PS5 and SX with SX being slightly faster.

Seriously, hats off to both Sony and Microsoft for delivering next gen flagships at this power level for $499.

We’ll see some serious visual feasts this gen when next gen optimized engines show up, and when devs stop trying to push for native 4K

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting seeing how x and ps5 are quite a lot faster than his 2070oc 2700x setup. Should be similar performance. There are probably other settings.
Anyway- looks like rt performance sucks and it’s barely worth it

Interesting seeing how x and ps5 are quite a lot faster than his 2070oc 2700x setup. Should be similar performance. There are probably other settings.
Anyway- looks like rt performance sucks and it’s barely worth it
His PC always underperforms, people have been unable to reproduce his findings in several games (HZD, Matrix demo, probably others too).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It sucks that 60fps and 120 fps use the same settings.
Normally you expect 120 fps mode to be lower res. So it’s misleading again.
They should make it fps cap off.
This badly described console graphics modes trigger me

Vick

Gold Member
Right I haven't compared them in motion which might show a different story so this is only provided for info and definitely not as a fact but the PS5 image looks closer to PC with FSR than it does native.
Could you share the full and uncompressed versions?

Does the series x look like the ps5, that softer image looks really bad and could explain the cleaner lines we saw in the other thread but overall softer, ruined image.
What the fuck, that's not true at all.
Looks stunning in fact when not zoomed in on compressed screenshots, night and day compared to the aliased shimmered version on PS4 Pro.

Complaining about RE2R IQ on PS5 is just insanity.

Glad to know I'm not blind and those huge differences in IQ some claimed were just the usual console warring fuckery on GAF.
Wow..

Here a link to the discussion so anyone can form their own opinions:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-...-3-launch-today.1637883/page-7#post-266289313

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Could you share the full and uncompressed versions?

What the fuck, that's not true at all.
Looks stunning in fact when not zoomed in on compressed screenshots, night and day compared to the aliased shimmered version on PS4 Pro.

Complaining about RE2R IQ on PS5 is just insanity.

Wow..

Here a link to the discussion so anyone can form their own opinions:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-...-3-launch-today.1637883/page-7#post-266289313

No, I bet it looks much better than the ps4 pro it's just a shame jt doesn't look as good as the PC and seems to have a much softer image than the PC version. Not sure on the xbox version.

Last edited:

vkbest

I get 50 to 90 fps on a 2070s at 1440p with max settings and medium RT (I assume the consoles are below max) so dropping the res on console would give a playable RT mode. The current mode is just awful.

There is also something happening with the console image if it is native 4k as it looks very soft compared to PC.

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif
The difference looks cromatic aberration to me

assurdum

Banned
Literally the opposite.
XSX is leading in average FPS.
The PS5/XSX should be performing at 2080 levels if not beyond due to optimizations anyway.
The ps5 should be performing at 2080 now? I thought that was XSX... but it's interesting now ps5 is considered equal to the XSX . Could explain why so many celebrate suddenly such marginal victory on XSX, I guess.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC:
gDQ68la.jpg

36en6yz.gif
Shared memory on consoles really fucking the overall quality here, but yeah nobody would buy 1000USD consoles : (

assurdum

Banned
I was just going by the images in this thread, it looks quite a bit blurrier to the pc version to me. Makes it not look 4k and more reconstructed.
Listen:
bvrUXkM_d.webp

Here XSX show visible reconstructed artifacts not PS5, neither feel more natural sharper on XSX, that's what more reconstructed appear to me. It's a pity NXG hasn't investigate deeply about it.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
that's only on PS5. the PS5's TAA is noticeably more blurry than on PC or Series X.
I noticed this in RE3 in another thread when I attempted to pixelcount the game on both platforms.
it was really hard to do on PS5 due to the soft image
Eer on pc for sure. But call noticeably more blurry than Series X lol. It's as to say a native picture with no AA is noticeably blurry than one with AA on imo.

Last edited:

Calverz

I started re3 last night with rt on. Series x on lg CX. I thought it looked nice but saw some serious shimmering on the sub train and low res reflections

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I started re3 last night with rt on. Series x on lg CX. I thought it looked nice but saw some serious shimmering on the sun train and low res reflections
Resolution of raytracing reflections is incredibly low even on pc, not a surprise. But it's definitely better than the SSR abomination of their engine.

Last edited:
I turned off automatic updates on my Xbox because I don't want Capcom to start using drs and destroy the awesome detail and sharpness that re3 has with rt. I think that version is perfect as is now for people with VRR. With RT I don't find the framerate to be too bad and that's without VRR tv. If you want perfect 60 fps you got that too by turning RT off.

People talking about the soft image quality on console but careful what you wish for because you also want to drop the res for that locked 60 w/rt ..it's really going to be soft ..anyone remember re3 on One X after they patches in that DRS? Very soft image. Right now that game looks amazing on sx and probably ps5 too.

Btw has anyone tried RE2 on SX with Dolby vision instead of hdr? I find the non RT mode with dolby much better than hdr. I'm 100% sure this patch made the Hdr gamma issue worse. While not fixed dolby vision looks better but make sure you move the slider towards dark.

Can't believe Capcom didn't fix the Hdr in RE2 for this next gen version! What is wrong with these developers? It's their job to know what looks correct and what looks washed out. There's gotta be someone there who recognizes that the black levels in that game are ruining the contrast and hdr in that game ...is it pure laziness? Because this is not "how the game was intended to look".

assurdum

Banned
I turned off automatic updates on my Xbox because I don't want Capcom to start using drs and destroy the awesome detail and sharpness that re3 has with rt. I think that version is perfect as is now for people with VRR. With RT I don't find the framerate to be too bad and that's without VRR tv. If you want perfect 60 fps you got that too by turning RT off.

People talking about the soft image quality on console but careful what you wish for because you also want to drop the res for that locked 60 w/rt ..it's really going to be soft ..anyone remember re3 on One X after they patches in that DRS? Very soft image. Right now that game looks amazing on sx and probably ps5 too.

Btw has anyone tried RE2 on SX with Dolby vision instead of hdr? I find the non RT mode with dolby much better than hdr. I'm 100% sure this patch made the Hdr gamma issue worse. While not fixed dolby vision looks better but make sure you move the slider towards dark.

Can't believe Capcom didn't fix the Hdr in RE2 for this next gen version! What is wrong with these developers? It's their job to know what looks correct and what looks washed out. There's gotta be someone there who recognizes that the black levels in that game are ruining the contrast and hdr in that game ...is it pure laziness? Because this is not "how the game was intended to look".
They never fixed the glitched SSR effect at higher resolution in RER2 why they should care about HDR. Capcom never cared to fix graphical issues with post patch release.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

hdr is not broken.
Just enable hgig if your tv supports it, move first slider to you peak brightness and ont touch the 2nd slider.
The few rooms that are washed out are an artistic choice in my opinion... since other rooms and rest of the game is absolutely fine with black blacks.
So if you switch to sdr and calibrate for the washed out rooms, you will crush 95% of the game that is not washed out

Here's another that is much more flattering to PS5 as I have CA turned on now on PC which does ruin the image as people have said. Are those interlacing artefacts in the hair on PS5 though?

PS5:
TiBbgb1.jpg

PC:
W8SJz2U.jpg

ngZBKpl.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Here's another that is much more flattering to PS5 as I have CA turned on now on PC which does ruin the image as people have said. Are those interlacing artefacts in the hair on PS5 though?

PS5:
TiBbgb1.jpg

PC:
W8SJz2U.jpg

ngZBKpl.gif
Now it's more fair... Maybe you still have some other different settings.
I think CA is integral to the feel of this game

SkylineRKR

I S ranked RE2 on PS5 in 120hz. Its the best mode for speed runs. RT mode was fine until I tried this one. They should've gone 1440p for RT. Its kind of weird that Village has better performance overall.

Vick

Gold Member
I don't know how to share uncompressed 4K screenshots, but here a 1:1 uncompressed snippet of a 4K frame in RE3 on PS5:

0Ioinzb.png

Cut from this picture:
NaHsQZD.png

RT Off. Looks pretty native to me.

assurdum

Banned
I S ranked RE2 on PS5 in 120hz. Its the best mode for speed runs. RT mode was fine until I tried this one. They should've gone 1440p for RT. Its kind of weird that Village has better performance overall.
I have to say yeah 120 fps mode is definitely the only worth update of this patch. Incredible how good still is the IQ in such mode. Definitely a really impressive upgrade than the other mode. But raytracing is a sore to play and mot worth it; they should opted for FSR2.0 at 1080p for sure.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

PS5:
TiBbgb1.jpg

PC:
W8SJz2U.jpg

ngZBKpl.gif
The problem with PC vs Console comparisons is the AA solutions.
Do we even know what AA method is used on PS5/XSX?

Filben

Wut. In what way have a picture with better AA look really bad.
It's down to preference. Before there was TAA some people prefered SMAA over FXAA because it wasn't as soft and more crisp... the reason why I stuck to FXAA because shimmering was slightly worse with SMAA.

Then came TAA around and some people hated it because it made the whole image softer, not only edges. And factual speaking this is true, but again, I have taken the softer look over shimmering and aliased edges and textures all day. Nothing beats a smooth image when panning the camera and edges aren't breaking or shimmering. Some games went a little bit over board, though (RDR2) with the softness, so some games started to offer a sharpening option or slider (DX:MD, RDR2, Dishonored 2, Prey, Gears 5) which is the best thing of both worlds.

For me, if I'm not wearing glasses (-0.75 and -1.25 mind you, so it's not too bad) differences between PC and PS5 are noticeable on comparison screenshots but are most probably not noteworthy in normal gameplay. The lack of DualSense support on PC is, though :(

assurdum

Banned
It's down to preference. Before there was TAA some people prefered SMAA over FXAA because it wasn't as soft and more crisp... the reason why I stuck to FXAA because shimmering was slightly worse with SMAA.

Then came TAA around and some people hated it because it made the whole image softer, not only edges. And factual speaking this is true, but again, I have taken the softer look over shimmering and aliased edges and textures all day. Nothing beats a smooth image when panning the camera and edges aren't breaking or shimmering. Some games went a little bit over board, though (RDR2) with the softness, so some games started to offer a sharpening option or slider (DX:MD, RDR2, Dishonored 2, Prey, Gears 5) which is the best thing of both worlds.

For me, if I'm not wearing glasses (-0.75 and -1.25 mind you, so it's not too bad) differences between PC and PS5 are noticeable on comparison screenshots but are most probably not noteworthy in normal gameplay. The lack of DualSense support on PC is, though :(
Pc is pc. You have thousand of alternative options. On console you get what developer give to you. My bet is with less aggressive TAA would have showed more raw edges because typically console has lower graphic setting than pc and such setup could have caused many IQ artifacts at lot more visible, the SSR is a clear example. Just my presumptiom.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Listen:
bvrUXkM_d.webp

Here XSX show visible reconstructed artifacts not PS5, neither feel more natural sharper on XSX, that's what more reconstructed appear to me. It's a pity NXG hasn't investigate deeply about it.

That's just aliasing, so I guess the series X isn't using the same TAA that's softening the whole image on ps5?

Not sure. Maybe someone will look into it.

assurdum

Banned
That's just aliasing, so I guess the series X isn't using the same TAA that's softening the whole image on ps5?

Not sure. Maybe someone will look into it.
I see also noisy artifacts not just aliasing. My guess it's because ps5 has separate id buffer as ps4 pro for TAA and CBR but just a wild guess. If I'm not wrong the last Battlefield also was better reconstructed on ps5 version.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I see also noisy artifacts not just aliasing.

I just see aliasing but an overall sharper image. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just play the games they are very good.

I'm playing resi 3 on xbox now and it looks amazing but it's dark as fook! Haha

Calverz

I just see aliasing but an overall sharper image. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just play the games they are very good.

Yea I was playing last night. Thought it looked pretty good. Especially when you walk about the city with the neon lights et c

assurdum

Banned

I'm not worried of anything. We are in a tech thread and I spotted more visible noisy artifacts on XSX, nothing of drammatic but interesting. Again a pity NXG hasn't investigate about it, maybe they are just very isolated but interesting to check. Doubt DF would cared about it knowing them.

Shmunter

Listen:
bvrUXkM_d.webp

The game is mostly dark, so poor AA gets easily overlooked. Was not expecting NX to miss this tho. DF is another matter.

Mr Moose

Bad JPEG compression makes it look worse.
5xN11jr.jpeg

CA.jpg

Mine is also a JPEG and a smaller filesize... But you get the point lol.

It's a shame there isn't a CA toggle, all games that use it should have one.

Vick

Gold Member

PS5:
TiBbgb1.jpg

PC:
W8SJz2U.jpg

ngZBKpl.gif
Here an uncompressed snippet of the game on PS5, forgot to put RT back On so graphics are completely different but when i realized was already in the proper spot and couldn't bother.

I1PTD9b.png

Here added into the GIF:
eSAIygO.gif

Awful compression is killing your comparisons.

PC:
vH0eOZX.jpg

PS5 (RT Off):
wkkQvMb.png

So much for "that doesn't look native at all." Differences in IQ are pretty obviously caused by AA solutions.

So if you switch to sdr and calibrate for the washed out rooms, you will crush 95% of the game that is not washed out
That's why the game shipped with awesome and competent calibration tools.
One for black levels only, and a separate one for brightness to avoid black crush. If you don't crush detail on the pattern, you don't crush detail in the game. Pretty straight forward concept.

In SDR the entire game is washed out on Default. Blacks are literally light grey on Main screens and Menus, Bonus Content, entirety of the Campaigns.. all of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom