• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 2: REmake - PS5 | SX | SS | PC Ray Tracing Update - Technology & Performance Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just see aliasing but an overall sharper image. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just play the games they are very good.

I'm playing resi 3 on xbox now and it looks amazing but it's dark as fook! Haha

Maybe it's just me but I'm not really noticing the RT stuff and 'difference' in GI in RE3 as much as in RE2. Looks like more of the effort went into RE2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Here an uncompressed snippet of the game on PS5, forgot to put RT back On so graphics are completely different but when i realized was already in the proper spot and couldn't bother.

I1PTD9b.png

Here added into the GIF:

output_oPdWZt.gif

Awful compression is killing your comparisons.

PC:
vH0eOZX.jpg

PS5 (RT Off):
wkkQvMb.png

So much for "that doesn't look native at all." Differences in IQ are pretty obviously caused by AA solutions.

That's why the game shipped with awesome and competent calibration tools.
One for black levels only, and a separate one for brightness to avoid black crush. If you don't crush detail on the pattern, you don't crush detail in the game. Pretty straight forward concept.

In SDR the entire game is washed out on Default. Blacks are literally light grey on Main screens and Menus, Bonus Content, entirety of the Campaigns.. all of it.
Yeah I know but from what I tested with your settings (which are the general spread around settings), the tools affect other scenes.
Touching the third slider affects every scene.
Again - I play with HDR and it's fine. Just accept that the few rooms are this way and all others are good.

Nah I'm pretty sure the PS5 is interlaced.

Someone who can get PNGs (don't have a USB and can't email shots like you can on Xbox) go look at the very start of the game with RT on and look at the reflections.

Sure JPGs are shit but they don't magically add the exact same artefacts you get with the interlacing mode on PC.

Look at this one is PC native - one PC interlaced - one PS5 and tell me which you think is which.

epaoGAn.gif

adamsapple

Yeah, I'm thinking of just turning it off and playing locked 60 fps.

For what it's worth, the RE3 RT upgrade doesn't nearly drop out of the VRR range as much, in fact out of some cut-scenes with extreme close ups, I didn't notice drops anywhere close to RE2 with RT on.

And thus RE3 runs a hell of a lot more smoother and consistent.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Someone who can get PNGs (don't have a USB and can't email shots like you can on Xbox) go look at the very start of the game with RT on and look at the reflections.

Sure JPGs are shit but they don't magically add the exact same artefacts you get with the interlacing mode on PC.

Look at this one is PC native - one PC interlaced - one PS5 and tell me which you think is which.

epaoGAn.gif
1/8th RT res like Village.
The ray tracing support (which is optional) is also intriguing. Firstly, there are the ray traced reflections. You'll find reflective materials throughout the game - from shiny floors, to individual objects to the surface of a large lake, all of which receive RT reflections. It's a welcome addition except that actual resolution is very low, perhaps as low as 1/8th of the primary rendering resolution. As a result, while beneficial, it's not a game changer. On the other hand, the inclusion of RT occlusion shadows and lighting is very nice, removing the black outline halos derived from standard screen-space solutions. RT also improves interior spaces with more realistic local bounce lighting - it can appear subtle at first glance, but it's definitely effective.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Exactly pal, absolute optimisational submentals.

AND its not even native 4K in either, so really it should've been 1080p native or 1656p with the interlacing to get close to 60 with RT on, but even then it wouldn't be locked in cutscenes I'd bet.

Should of gave you the same options as DMC V as that was fantastic for choosing between normal, high performance, performance RT, quality mode RT.

assurdum

Banned

epaoGAn.gif
The ps5/xsx probably are interlaced just with RT as RE8.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
For what it's worth, the RE3 RT upgrade doesn't nearly drop out of the VRR range as much, in fact out of some cut-scenes with extreme close ups, I didn't notice drops anywhere close to RE2 with RT on.

And thus RE3 runs a hell of a lot more smoother and consistent.
Uh. I remembered RE3 more taxing than RE2 on consoles.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The ps5 should be performing at 2080 now? I thought that was XSX... but it's interesting now ps5 is considered equal to the XSX . Could explain why so many celebrate suddenly such marginal victory on XSX, I guess.
Forgive me....thats thats the start.
IM i a but tupsay ill be back bit i know what i fot to sak

You lni hpw they arent the same directlu but each has an advatage......the xsx vs 2f we willl know.
Im slightly frunk so understand with freedo
Them PS5.XSX shoudl easily prefotm at 2080 levels cuz both machines when yo realy work them outperform what canm.
Im not a pc gy but i believl in evtly consil cuz i want the to do work at some pint iwill be

NXGamer

epaoGAn.gif
Timestamped in my video, if you watched it, RT Reflections are lower(Recon) not final image.

adamsapple

exactly!
What's up with people recently demanding tons of options form these consoles.
let consoles be consoles or get a pc

It is understandable tho, native 4k with RT is a massive waste of resources.

sircaw

Banned
I have not even played any of these resident evil games yet, these patches are brilliant news to me.

Still going to take some time to get to them, my back log is massive, but yer Fantastic.

Vick

Gold Member
Damn man you can't just call out Vick like that :messenger_tears_of_joy:
baby-cry.gif

Hey, that would be you if anything.. last i checked you were the one completely unable to see any difference with your naked eye:

5gtzJKc.gif

Forgive me....thats thats the start.
IM i a but tupsay ill be back bit i know what i fot to sak

You lni hpw they arent the same directlu but each has an advatage......the xsx vs 2f we willl know.
Im slightly frunk so understand with freedo
Them PS5.XSX shoudl easily prefotm at 2080 levels cuz both machines when yo realy work them outperform what canm.
Im not a pc gy but i believl in evtly consil cuz i want the to do work at some pint iwill be
NarrowEagerLeafwing-size_restricted.gif

Dane

Wasn't RE3 more demanding than RE2 at launch? ElAnalistadeBits tested out RE3 and it seemed to run better.

Last edited:

MikeM

Interesting seeing how x and ps5 are quite a lot faster than his 2070oc 2700x setup. Should be similar performance. There are probably other settings.
Anyway- looks like rt performance sucks and it’s barely worth it
We’ve seen examples of games running at 2080 levels. Not surprised at all.

adamsapple

Wasn't RE3 more demanding than RE2 at launch?

It doesn't look like it TBH.

RE2 has a lot more open ended stuff which naturally would require more computation. RE2 also has a lot more gore and enemy deformation. RE3 is super linear and skips the gore altogether.

RE2 also has a lot more reflective surfaces compared to RE3 I guess.

DukeNukem00

Banned
We’ve seen examples of games running at 2080 levels. Not surprised at all.

Three games out of every game released so far. Games that underperform on nvidia so they require a higher tier of card than the amd ones in the consoles or using a lower setting on console than you can set on PC. Its for sure a surprise seeing that every other game runs at 2060S to 2070 levels, with very rare ocassions at 2070S level. But you can be sure that it doesnt actually run 20% faster than a 2070 in this game, maybe Alex will have a video about this with actual matched settings and shown on video instead of just randomly claiming this with no evidence of any kind

Vick

Gold Member
Wasn't RE3 more demanding than RE2 at launch?
It absolutely was. RE2 ran at solid 60fps on PS4 Pro for instance, RE3 not at all.

There are alot more reflections on RE3, and of immensely higher quality. Game was also significantly more dense in terms of geometry.

But in order to achieve all this physics and dismemberment are almost entirely cut from the game.

Well RT is a nope for me unless they make 1440p mode that can stay at 60. Still the fact it’s native 4K now is great because the ghosting from the reconstructed resolution of the previous gen settings always annoyed me.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Literally the opposite.
XSX is leading in average FPS.
The PS5/XSX should be performing at 2080 levels if not beyond due to optimizations anyway.

You should open your eyes a bit and see the average FPS with each mode instead of guessing.

😆 😂
I thought he said series x performs better overall?

Yup, but the average FPS under each mode says otherwise. Go watch it again.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You should open your eyes a bit and see the average FPS with each mode instead of guessing.

Yup, but the average FPS under each mode says otherwise. Go watch it again.
I did notice that but.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Killer8

epaoGAn.gif

Pretty easy to tell from the blocking artifacts on the RT reflections which are 'interlaced'. The interlaced mode in RE Engine is actually a form of checkerboard rendering, so the blocking/screendoor artifacts will be checkerboard artifacts.

Also does not surprise me that the RT reflections take a big hit in quality with interlacing. They're taking already low res RT, and then feeding it an even lower base resolution to work with. Solutions like DLSS/checkerboarding are a good trick to maintain RT effects while improving the performance, but they always invariably lead to lower RT precision.

assurdum

Banned
Ok tried raytracing of the whole "trilogy". RE7 is the only where I haven't noticed any drops with VRR. RE3R isn't that bad neither, I expect the same shit of RE2R indeed it has surely some drops here and there but almost more acceptable than RE2R. Anyway I don't understand why for raytracing hasnt opted for lower resolution in RE2R and RE3R.

Last edited:
Figured out how to get PNGs without a USB.

There is something reducing the IQ on PS5 - both PC and PS5 have CA on and just look at the fine detail in the hair on PC compared to PS5. Maybe the TAA, maybe reconstruction, maybe DRS.

In stills it is only ever as bad as this screenshot in direct light but it is very obvious in motion if you have decent vision.

Crops of the PNG so Imgur doesn't mess with them

PS5:

VsdNnlp.png

PC:
GGqmScc.png

The full size PNGs got converted to JPGs by Imgur but included to see I haven't done anything funny.

DIUuu9q.jpg
xIyQlJj.jpg

I'm playing on PS5 and the IQ is definitely more than good enough but you can easily see the very low resolution RT in RT mode and the grainy hair in all modes so if it is native then Capcom have done something to that makes it look worse than native.

Here's a darker shot that doesn't look like checkerboarding so maybe just DRS but whatever it is you'd have a hard job not noticing it in motion as there is obvious shimmer.

PS5:
qe5cCz8.png

PC:
5W9HWBa.png

assurdum

Banned

There is something reducing the IQ on PS5 - both PC and PS5 have CA on and just look at the fine detail in the hair on PC compared to PS5. Maybe the TAA, maybe reconstruction, maybe DRS.

In stills it is only ever as bad as this screenshot in direct light but it is very obvious in motion if you have decent vision.

PS5:

VsdNnlp.png

PC:
GGqmScc.png

The full size PNGs got converted to JPGs by Imgur but included to see I haven't done anything funny.

DIUuu9q.jpg
xIyQlJj.jpg

I'm playing on PS5 and the IQ is definitely more than good enough but you can easily see the very low resolution RT in RT mode and the grainy hair in all modes so if it is native then Capcom have done something to that makes it look worse than native.

Here's a darker shot that doesn't look like checkerboarding so maybe just DRS but whatever it is you'd have a hard job not noticing it in motion as there is obvious shimmer.

PS5:
qe5cCz8.png

PC:
5W9HWBa.png
It's not native resolution with RT. How many time we have to tell you.

It doesn't look like it TBH.

RE2 has a lot more open ended stuff which naturally would require more computation. RE2 also has a lot more gore and enemy deformation. RE3 is super linear and skips the gore altogether.

RE2 also has a lot more reflective surfaces compared to RE3 I guess.
Re3 has probably 3 times as many reflective surfaces as 2

Does the series x look like the ps5, that softer image looks really bad and could explain the cleaner lines we saw in the other thread but overall softer, ruined image.

Strange that NX gamer didn't spot this if its only in the ps5 version.
Here an uncompressed snippet of the game on PS5, forgot to put RT back On so graphics are completely different but when i realized was already in the proper spot and couldn't bother.

I1PTD9b.png

Here added into the GIF:
eSAIygO.gif

Awful compression is killing your comparisons.

PC:
vH0eOZX.jpg

PS5 (RT Off):
wkkQvMb.png

So much for "that doesn't look native at all." Differences in IQ are pretty obviously caused by AA solutions.

That's why the game shipped with awesome and competent calibration tools.
One for black levels only, and a separate one for brightness to avoid black crush. If you don't crush detail on the pattern, you don't crush detail in the game. Pretty straight forward concept.

In SDR the entire game is washed out on Default. Blacks are literally light grey on Main screens and Menus, Bonus Content, entirety of the Campaigns.. all of it.
On console even the calibration tools don't work properly. Even if you slam the gamma all the way towards dark, you will never get proper black levels in Re2. The game is always 'above black', grey, washed out etc for large portions of the game. It gets better after you leave the police station.

Vick

Gold Member
On console even the calibration tools don't work properly. Even if you slam the gamma all the way towards dark, you will never get proper black levels in Re2. The game is always 'above black', grey, washed out etc for large portions of the game. It gets better after you leave the police station.
Let's not generate confusion though, general black levels are one thing and digital cinematography another. You absolutely can get perfect black levels in RE2, and it's extremely visible on the Menu screens, to say one.

Yes, the game creates atmosphere by playing with its values, like many other games, but blacks on the RPD Main Hall for example are black, and same for the library, S.T.A.R.S. office area, etc. etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not always grey. In some ass rooms. Others are good.
Here is how it looks with hgig and hdr. First calibration screen 6 clicks from left (box disappears), 2nd screen default middle.

These are perfecty nice, contrasty areas with black black.
But at the same time, some of the police station areas are this washed out crap. It's better than in sdr in these rooms but not perfect

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

PS5:

VsdNnlp.png

PC:
GGqmScc.png

DIUuu9q.jpg
xIyQlJj.jpg

PS5:
qe5cCz8.png

PC:
5W9HWBa.png
It's a dynamic resolution and PS5 uses a heavy AA solution.
Overall the PS5/XSX are really good, could do with some optimization, I believe RE3R has already had a patch.
but it's nothing to obsess over.

PS5 uses interlacing reconstruction and a heavier TAA solution than PC due to that fact. It's apparent in the hair, in the reflections. Especially in motion where you see the stippled look of it.

PS5 also uses medium/low shadow settings, you can very clearly see the banding which looks exactly as it does on my PC in the medium/low setting.

His comparison to PC is flawed. 🤷

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PS5 uses interlacing reconstruction and a heavier TAA solution than PC due to that fact. It's apparent in the hair, in the reflections. Especially in motion where you see the stippled look of it.

PS5 also uses medium/low shadow settings, you can very clearly see the banding which looks exactly as it does on my PC in the medium/low setting.

His comparison to PC is flawed. 🤷
I am still not so sure.
Some screens show more dither on pc hair and other on ps5.
Something is happening there but I am not sure it's interlacing. interlacing is a huge performance boost and it would be visible

Top Bottom