• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 4: REmake - PS5, Xbox Series X, PC, Steam Deck Technical Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

With my first look at the last gen versions and the Xbox Series S last week, I am back as promised with more RE action. Resident Evil 4 Remake is coming to PS5, Xbox Series X and PC this week but how well do each versions run? What mode is best? What is the performance like and can the Steam Deck deliver what the Xbox One cannot? Click onwards for a terrifying tale.

edit: he will apparently do a full review on launch as well even though he says the final review game (on consoles at least) is give or take the same, minus the missing RT reflections being fixed on PS5.

- No sign of DRS in his testing but uses Capcom's RE engine checker-boarding (interlacing) reconstruction
- Both PS5 and SX have same resolution metrics (2160p in resolution and 1944p in performance)
- While the pixel count is the same, the image quality between the two is not similar.
- PS5 has noisier image, post effects, worse aliasing, temporal stability etc
- NXGamer thinks the issue is in difference of AA working with the reconstruction/interlacing
- PS5 looks similar to FSR1 and SX looks similar to FSR2 in PC equivalent terms.

- In resolution mode both drop lots of frames with RT and Hair on
- SX is often 6~10 FPS lower in this mode. It is often below the VRR range here. PS5 can stay in the VRR range more often here.
- In Resolution mode with Hair and RT off, PS5 is closer to 60 more often but can dip in heavy bandwidth scenarios, and SX can dip a further 10-15% over that still.

- In Frame Rate mode with RT/Hair on, the performance is nearly identical with SX having approx 5% worse performance.
- Turning RT and Hair off makes this a locked 60 FPS mode on both barring some streaming stutters.

- Cinematics are GPU bound and game play are CPU bound which contributes to the above in Xbox having a small advantage in cut-scenes and PS5 in game play.

- Input latency is very high on both (204 vs 219 ms on PS5 and SX respectively)
- NXG thinks this is an intentional decision.
- NXG thinks it helps to increase acceleration on Xbox pad high to remedy some of the deadzone issues on Xbox.

- 800p / 30 FPS works great but can be very soft with acceptable settings
- very CPU bound and also GPU RAM dependent, can crash if overloaded.
- No pre shader compilation so 1st run can cause shader compilation stutters
- His PC equivalent settings on a 2070
- Consoles generally have High equivalent. Volumetrics = medium, Hair = normal, RT = normal.
- 4K with interlaced on doesn't hold close to 60 FPS. Dropping to 70% resolution scale gives equivalent performance to PS5/SX.
- Memory issues are a problem on 8GB. Can cause crashes when overloaded. Village fight would always crash for him at 4K. Only fixed by dropping to 1620p at 80% resolution scale.
- The game is very demanding on GPU (and CPU). Don't expect 8GB cards to run this at 4K

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

What about the Steam Deck?

PS5 has better performance but worse IQ, Xbox has better IQ but worse controls lol, seems a crapshoot all around.

PC stays winning I guess, I'd even consider buying a month of GFN for this to play the PC version on my big TV, hmm...

Imtjnotu

This shit is a mess. Which means this thread will be good

Planning Evil Laugh GIF by Chris Kläfford

Last edited:

adamsapple

What about the Steam Deck?

- 800p works great but can be very soft with acceptable settings
- very CPU bound and also GPU RAM dependent, can crash if overloaded.
- No pre shader compilation so 1st run can cause shader compilation stutters

- His PC equivalent settings on a 2070
- Consoles generally have High equivalent. Volumetrics = medium, Hair = normal, RT = normal.
- 4K with interlaced on doesn't hold close to 60 FPS. Dropping to 70% resolution scale gives equivalent performance to PS5/SX.
- Memory issues are a problem on 8GB. Can cause crashes when overloaded. Village fight would always crash for him at 4K. Only fixed by dropping to 1620p at 80% resolution scale.
- The game is very demanding on GPU (and CPU). Don't expect 8GB cards to run this at 4K

murstdurst

Neo Member
Almost always, if not always, do games look better on pc if you have a cabaple machine. No news there.
The demo look good on ps5, frame rate mode. It looks better on my pc, again ofc.
But i wan tto play this on my couch, so ps5 it is. No problem, plays great (maybe because VRR)... so happy here.
Glad i'm not that much of a graphics snob that it would rob me of enjoyment here :)

Lysandros

So the same fixed resolution on both with IQ issues on PS5 still remaining a mystery apparently (edit: suspected culprits are listed still). Thanks for the detailled side by side performance analysis NXgamer, very informative.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks like I wasnt crazy about resolution mode looking very smooth if you turn off RT and hair strand. NX Gamer said it can drop to 55 FPS in heavy workload but otherwise it gets you to 60 fps.

Id recommend turning off Depth of Field which also has a GPU hit.

Hair strand seems to be a 10% hit on its own and RT even in non-RT areas has a hit on performance. Just turn that shit off people and play this in resolution mode on PS5.

XSX is fucked. You get better image quality than the PS5 but i saw it drop to 37 fps with hair strand and RT turned on which means it might be dropping sub 48 FPS with them turned off.

He's 100% right. Shouldve offered a 40 fps locked mode. Thank god i went with PC.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
- In resolution mode both drop lots of frames with RT and Hair on
- SX is often 6~10 FPS lower in this mode. It is often below the VRR range here. PS5 can stay in the VRR range more often here.

This doesn't make sense, as Series consoles have a VRR range of 20fps-120fps vs the PS5's much more limited range.

I can see this being out of VRR range on PS5, but not on Series consoles.

With that said I think I'm going to go with Resolution mode, RT On, Hair Off.

Can't wait for Friday!

Last edited:

Bojji

- While the pixel count is the same, the image quality between the two is not similar.
- PS5 has noisier image, post effects, worse aliasing, temporal stability etc
- NXGamer thinks the issue is in difference of AA working with the reconstruction/interlacing
- PS5 looks similar to FSR1 and SX looks similar to FSR2 in PC equivalent terms.

Pretty much what my thoughts were after the demo.

SlimySnake

This doesn't make sense, as Series consoles have a VRR range of 20fps-120fps vs the PS5's much more limited range.

Can't wait for Friday!
Below 48 fps, LFC kicks in. It tricks the tv into thinking the game is running at double the framerate but you are still not going to get a great smooth experience you'd get if the framerate was within the 48-60 fps range.

Even PS5 games that support custom LFC dont feel that smooth. They feel jittery and I just turn off VRR and lock it to 40 fps.

Think of LFC as ghetto VRR. it's good to have but if your game is spending most of its time below 48, it will feel like shit regardless.

What happens if you try to run the PS4 Pro version on PS5 via Backwards compatibility?

Shouldn't it give perfect performance like Elden Ring?

Last edited:

adamsapple

What happens if you try to run the PS4 Pro version on PS5 via Backwards compatibility?

Shouldn't it give perfect performance?
It should but the last gen version has very noticeable worse textures and effects. It will look like playing the original RE4 more than the remake :p

Last edited:

adamsapple

Frame Rate modes 1944p to Resolution modes 2160p doesn't look like any drop in pixel count. But the gain in performance is huge.

Perf + RT on, Hair off, Lens Distortion off, DoF off on Xbox for me.

It should but the last gen version has very noticeable worse textures and effects. It will look like playing the original RE4 more than the remake :p

I asked because I saw that on PS4 Pro also the "resolution mode" has unlocked frame-rate. With PS5 CPU it could easily reach 60 fps even in that mode...

Does the resolution mode also offers much worse textures and effects??

Mr.Phoenix

Can't wait for Friday!
In a 60fps container, which this game is, the XS consoles have a VRR cap of 40fps.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
8GB card wont manage 4K?
You dont say.....the 3070 was never touted as a 4K card, let alone a max settings, strand hair and RT 4k card.
In a 60fps container, which this game is, the XS consoles have a VRR cap of 40fps.
If your console is set to output at 120Hz the VRR range is extended all the way down to like 20.

VGtech and NXgamer giving the same 1944p resolution data on PS5 and SX without DRS (DF said 1440p on PS5 so they would have been wrong) in performance mode and 2160p in resolution mode and apart from much better performance for PS5 in RT mode and a little better in performance mode (also ignore DF xDD)

Madflavor

If memory serves, Capcom doesn't really seem to delay their games. They seem to set hard dates for the release of their games, or at least with Resident Evil. The first reveal trailer for RE4R was 9 months ago, and they gave the release date of March 24th 2023 then. Their development teams must crunch like fucking maniacs to meet their deadlines.

I don't think this is a case of development incompetency at all. This seems to be a case of overworked devs trying to meet a hard set date. I'm sure they're well aware of these issues, but probably prioritized on what they felt was more important in order to get the game out in time. They seemed to do a good job with RE2R, and even though RE3R was butchered by it's lack of content, the game worked well. But RE4R is probably their biggest Resident Evil in terms of size and length, since Resident Evil 6. I'm not surprised at all by some of the Image Quality and Aiming issues.

That being said, I'm sure the game will still be amazing, and I really hope these issues get ironed out in future patches.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
If memory serves, Capcom doesn't really seem to delay their games. They seem to set hard dates for the release of their games, or at least with Resident Evil. The first reveal trailer for RE4R was 9 months ago, and they gave the release date of March 24th 2023 then. Their development teams must crunch like fucking maniacs to meet their deadlines.

I don't think this is a case of development incompetency at all. This seems to be a case of overworked devs trying to meet a hard set date. I'm sure they're well aware of these issues, but probably prioritized on what they felt was more important in order to get the game out in time. They seemed to do a good job with RE2R, and even though RE3R was butchered by it's lack of content, the game worked well. But RE4R is probably their biggest Resident Evil in terms of size and length, since Resident Evil 6. I'm not surprised at all by some of the Image Quality and Aiming issues.

That being said, I'm sure the game will still be amazing, and I really hope these issues get ironed out in future patches.
i think its about japanese devs not caring about performance, any japanese studio out there has games made with flactuating performance...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ps5 version image quality is not good.
Normal hair is pixelated
Strand hair is not lighted correctly.
Performance is fine in performance mode
Dualsense is great

Pc version solves all the problems... do I really have to buy it on pc lol

Elios83

Thankfully I'll be busy for a good while with Octopath Travelers 2 because it's clear that the rain effect was not the only thing that needed to be fixed. The game needs a few patches addressing all the issues on the different platforms but they had to release it by the end of Capcom's fiscal year in March. In a month or two I expect it to be polished.

Last edited:

Cherrypepsi

VGtech and NXgamer giving the same 1944p resolution data on PS5 and SX without DRS (DF said 1440p on PS5 so they would have been wrong) in performance mode and 2160p in resolution mode and apart from much better performance for PS5 in RT mode and a little better in performance mode (also ignore DF xDD)
I'm starting to distrust DF a little bit, these other sources are simply doing a better job now with the measurements in my opinion and they are more transparent about it. V VG Tech even provides excel sheets full of data and sample screenshots to compare. It's just clearer data for me.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
im think the controls is way worse on series , alot of people compared it with the ps5 on resetera.

I think the deadzone issue its like 12% on PS5 and its 37% on series which is a huge different.

Pray for day 1 patch miracle.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Deadzone on PS5 is noticeable but not gamebreaking for me. But I'm getting it on the PC so it ultimately doesn't matter to me. If I did get it on the PS5, I would've gotten over it quick.

Last edited:

Lysandros

DF were never notorious for their accuracy at pixel counting.

That input latency is a massive dealbreaker for me on console. Rather than preorder, I've been on the fence about which version to buy, but at 209ms it HAS to be PC. I remember Killzone 2 having serious latency, but this sounds even worse.

SlimySnake

ps5 version image quality is not good.
Normal hair is pixelated
Strand hair is not lighted correctly.
Performance is fine in performance mode
Dualsense is great

Pc version solves all the problems... do I really have to buy it on pc lol
You have a 3080. You really should.

Top Bottom