• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Resident Evil 4: REmake - PS5, Xbox Series X, PC, Steam Deck Technical Review

kingyala

Banned
UE4 doesn't stutter only because of shader compilation, it also stutters from asset streaming. You can test this yourself, by running a game first, let it compile shaders on runtime. Then run the same level again, with the shaders already compiled, and you still get stutters, but now from asset streaming.
This is common knowledge for anyone that plays on PC.

And yes, PCs cache data in the vram. UE4 is an example of this.
Here is the command to set the percentage of the streaming cache into the vram, default is one GB: r.Streaming.PoolSize.VRAMPercentageClamp
Here is the command to set the streaming cache only to vram: r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM
is that asset/ level streaming or texture streaming? texture streaming is common in vram level streaming is system ram and also this doesnt answer my earlier question that u keep changing goal posts about,....

winjer

Gold Member
is that asset/ level streaming or texture streaming? texture streaming is common in vram level streaming is system ram and also this doesnt answer my earlier question that u keep changing goal posts about,....

Assets include geometry, meshes, textures, etc. And UE4 can stream most of it. And cache those data on vram, to be used on demand.

I already told you that RE4 has detailed textures, probably as detailed as Demon Souls. But it's art work, lighting and geometry/meshes are the thing letting it down.
It's a dark, somber game, so all textures are in black and brown tones. Not very appealing to the human eye.

Capcom decided to cache a lot more data of the level, which has de advantage of reducing stutter from asset loading.
Something that UE4 has a lot of problems with, because it relies too much on it's streaming engine.

kingyala

Banned
Doesn't really matter because games will ALWAYS BE poorly optimized. Forspoken, Gotham knights, this etc. Some games are properly optimized though and STILL can't hit a solid 40 fps in fidelity mode- Last of Us part 1, a Naughty Dog game. These consoles obviously don't have enough power to account for devs poor optimization. Companies are looking to take shortcuts and push games out prematurely while simultaneously targeting the current PC's and those factors are only increasing.
your jocking right here are the last of us 1 stats
YEvmART.png
hNaGhgM.png
according to the data here last of us on ps5 hits 60 fps 99.72% 40 fps 83.6% and 30 fps 99.67% so how is this poor!!! did you want a solid utopia of performance? that doesnt exist you can push any hardware to the limit even a 4090 so your excuse that last of us on ps5 has problems hitting 40 fps are invalid and saying because games are always badly optimized as a reason to have more powereful hardware is naive and lazy thinking... maybe they should focus on optimizing their games and stop the crossgen bs to focus on developing for current consoles because you can have a super computer but as long as the devs keep pushing rubbish unoptimised games then youll still have bad performances..

kingyala

Banned
Assets include geometry, meshes, textures, etc. And UE4 can stream most of it. And cache those data on vram, to be used on demand.

I already told you that RE4 has detailed textures, probably as detailed as Demon Souls. But it's art work, lighting and geometry/meshes are the thing letting it down.
It's a dark, somber game, so all textures are in black and brown tones. Not very appealing to the human eye.

Capcom decided to cache a lot more data of the level, which has de advantage of reducing stutter from asset loading.
Something that UE4 has a lot of problems with, because it relies too much on it's streaming engine.
demon souls is dark nothing to do with atmosphere and sure as hell uses higher res textures than re4 ask me why ive played them both, and if ue4 relies on caching data on vram why is it performing worse on pc than it does on ps5 even though pc has much more vram to spare? and why would it stutter because the whole point of caching assets to memory is to remove stutters? , and also this is re engine not ue4...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
your jocking right here are the last of us 1 stats
YEvmART.png
hNaGhgM.png
according to the data here last of us on ps5 hits 60 fps 99.72% 40 fps 83.6% and 30 fps 99.67% so how is this poor!!! did you want a solid utopia of performance? that doesnt exist you can push any hardware to the limit even a 4090 so your excuse that last of us on ps5 has problems hitting 40 fps are invalid and saying because games are always badly optimized as a reason to have more powereful hardware is naive and lazy thinking... maybe they should focus on optimizing their games and stop the crossgen bs to focus on developing for current consoles because you can have a super computer but as long as the devs keep pushing rubbish unoptimised games then youll still have bad performances..
These vg charts are the worst tables I've seen to represent performance... christ whats wrong with fps.
I know, don't answer... but man

winjer

Gold Member
demon souls is dark nothing to do with atmosphere and sure as hell uses higher res textures than re4 ask me why ive played them both, and if ue4 relies on caching data on vram why is it performing worse on pc than it does on ps5 even though pc has much more vram to spare? and why would it stutter because the whole point of caching assets to memory is to remove stutters? , and also this is re engine not ue4...

Do you understand how difficult it is to read one of your posts. Please use punctuation and capitalization.

I never played Demon Souls, but looking at videos and screenshots, it probably uses most of the memory it has available on the PS5.
We have to give credit to Bluepoint Games, for such a game.

Is it performing worse on PC? I played the demo with max settings, 1440P, RT maxed, FSR quality. And got around 100 fps. My GPU has double the TFLOPs of the PS5.
I think this is much better than any console. And with significantly higher quality settings.
And best of all, only having stutters when entering a new area. The rest was very smooth.

kingyala

Banned
Do you understand how difficult it is to read one of your posts. Please use punctuation and capitalization.

I never played Demon Souls, but looking at videos and screenshots, it probably uses most of the memory it has available on the PS5.

Is it performing worse on PC? I played the demo with max settings, 1440P, RT maxed, FSR quality. And got around 100 fps. My GPU has double the TFLOPs of the PS5.
I think this is much better than any console. And with significantly higher quality settings.
And best of all, only having stutters when entering a new area. The rest was very smooth.
so double the teraflops of ps5, 1440p plus fsr all that to run a game that looks worse than some early ps4 games... and u even say '' best of all'' only have stutters when entering new areas.. as if thats something to be proud about. the game looks average and its badly optimized theres nothing to either be proud of running this game on expensive hardware its just silly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

NX Gamer ran the PS5 resolution mode with RT and Hair strand off and got very close to 60 fps with some rare drops to 55 fps. Thats been my experience on PS5. Sucks that he didnt provide an actual run through of the demo with the average framerate like he did for the RT mode with hair on. But that averaged 50 fps and im sure the non RT mode with hair off would average around 58-59 fps. Basically half of what Im getting at native 4k on my 3080. PS5 is using 4kcb so thats 4.1 million pixels. The performance is lining up exactly how i would expect from a GPU roughly half as powerful as the 3080.

The IQ of the resolution mode more or less matches by 1440p runs. Maybe the PC version is a little bit cleaner but honestly, its leagues ahead of the performance mode which must be using something like 1440p Dead Space uses but NX Gamer found 1900 cb so who knows whats going on with the performance mode there.

P.S I wanted to capture the average framerate of my PC demo runs using MSI Afterburner but for whatever reason, it wont display the average fps, 1% low and other fps stats even though i have them selected to display in the on screen display. Only thing framerate wise i can display is the D3D current framerate. Any ideas?

winjer

Gold Member
so double the teraflops of ps5, 1440p plus fsr all that to run a game that looks worse than some early ps4 games... and u even say '' best of all'' only have stutters when entering new areas.. as if thats something to be proud about. the game looks average and its badly optimized theres nothing to either be proud of running this game on expensive hardware its just silly.

At a time when so many games on PC have constant stutters, this is a big plus.

NX Gamer ran the PS5 resolution mode with RT and Hair strand off and got very close to 60 fps with some rare drops to 55 fps. Thats been my experience on PS5. Sucks that he didnt provide an actual run through of the demo with the average framerate like he did for the RT mode with hair on. But that averaged 50 fps and im sure the non RT mode with hair off would average around 58-59 fps. Basically half of what Im getting at native 4k on my 3080. PS5 is using 4kcb so thats 4.1 million pixels. The performance is lining up exactly how i would expect from a GPU roughly half as powerful as the 3080.

The IQ of the resolution mode more or less matches by 1440p runs. Maybe the PC version is a little bit cleaner but honestly, its leagues ahead of the performance mode which must be using something like 1440p Dead Space uses but NX Gamer found 1900 cb so who knows whats going on with the performance mode there.

P.S I wanted to capture the average framerate of my PC demo runs using MSI Afterburner but for whatever reason, it wont display the average fps, 1% low and other fps stats even though i have them selected to display in the on screen display. Only thing framerate wise i can display is the D3D current framerate. Any ideas?

Did he ever fix his PC, because the last time I saw a video of his, his PC had a ton of performance issues.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Doesn't really matter because games will ALWAYS BE poorly optimized. Forspoken, Gotham knights, this etc. Some games are properly optimized though and STILL can't hit a solid 40 fps in fidelity mode- Last of Us part 1, a Naughty Dog game. These consoles obviously don't have enough power to account for devs poor optimization. Companies are looking to take shortcuts and push games out prematurely while simultaneously targeting the current PC's and those factors are only increasing.
I think we have to take into account just why this game is struggling to run these graphics at framerates and resolutions RE2, RE3 and Village ran at. It is simply doing much more than those games. Just look at the comparisons i posted above. It undoubtedly looks better.

But even if you dont believe it does, the fact of the matter is that they had to reduce the resolution of the base PS4 game to 900p from 1080p to get more out of the GPU. Just like GG did with HFW and we've all seen just how much more they were able to do by targeting a lower resolution. You know who didnt? SSM with GOW Ragnorak. Stuck with 1080p. Didnt bother upgrading the graphics and released an optimized and polished game. Yay? Nah. Id rather devs push themselves and extract more out of these GPUs than being lazy or complacent.

It makes sense to me why its unable to run this game at 4kcb 60 fps because even the village struggled to run at 4kcb in its RT mode. They famously put out a chart saying it targets 45 fps in that mode. Now the performance mode here does look like shit, and yes the Xbox deadzone issue is simply inexcusable, but not all of these issues are due to poor optimization. The game is simply taxing the GPU no matter what kingyala would have you believe.

I kinda agree and don't agree at the same time in terms of this games lighting compared to Village. I found Villages lighting to be exceptional, especially when you're in the actual village areas and going in amd out of houses. The way the light came in and bounced around the room as well as how it was occluded by objects, with objects having good material quality, was really impressive
I dont disagree. I actually compared this to the Village just last month posting some screenshots ive taken but this game's outdoor sections just blow away Village's outdoor levels. We havent seen many castle screenshots but i would love to compare my village castle screenshots to the RE4 screenshots. I suspect they would look on par if not better based on what ive seen in the demo so far.

How-Capcom-Designs-NEW-Enemies-in-Resident-Evil-4-Remake-Interview-4-K-1.gif

Someone said the game has no tesselation. I see tesselation in bricks of every house in the village.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah but also on the flip side the frame rate mode on the xbox has better IQ than PS5's Resolution mode as well. The pixel count alone doesn't help much there.

That and the pixel difference between resolution and frame rate is so small in the first place, that is if it isn't using DRS and is a static count (2160p vs 1944p)

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I just think that if you value performance to the point of upgrading your console to what might potentially be a 6-800 dollar box, why not just build, or buy a pc that will promise long term performance gains instead of doing that every few years. Like yes the ps5 pro will be more powerful, but will it still be able to match a rig with a 4080 or 90 in it, using the latest intel processors?

Yes its way more expensive. But it might be worth it to take the money youd spend on a pro console and put it towards saving for a good pc that will rappidly outpace the pro console

The 2 reasons I don't:

I want to play on the couch on a big tv. I understand this problem is surmountable but it's hardly a perfect situation.

Even now, we have to wait years and years for Sony games to arrive. Ratchet is nearly 2 years old and hasn't even been announced. This matters because Sony games are the best looking. I bet something like HFW looks better than almost all PC games, even maxed out.

So it's just not a tempting option right now. For me, it's nothing to do with money. If I could pay £2k for a 30 tflop PS5 I definitely would lol.

I'm so God damned conflicted on where to play, XSX or PC? I know I know everyone's gonna say PC (3080 10gb 5800x3d). But I really like going for achievements and I like chilling on the couch or laying in bed and playing, which isn't always the easiest for me to do on PC. Can someone convince me what to do please? PS5 is also an option but would be last on my list.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm so God damned conflicted on where to play, XSX or PC? I know I know everyone's gonna say PC (3080 10gb 5800x3d). But I really like going for achievements and I like chilling on the couch or laying in bed and playing, which isn't always the easiest for me to do on PC. Can someone convince me what to do please? PS5 is also an option but would be last on my list.
For the achievements couldn't you buy it on the microsoft store on pc ?

MikeM

Wait for the legit day 1 release reviews.

Top Bottom