• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] The Best Graphics/Technology of 2021

bargeparty

Let's put this fur talk to rest. Thats why I took this screenshot from a random youtube video. Fur is present in gameplay and no moment goes away.

That's how fud starts even with tons of visual evidence some people try to push the narrative

Is this the evolution of puddlegate, furgate?

What other "gates" have we had? I also remember a grassgate for gta 5, but i think there was a real difference between the versions with that.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Is this the evolution of puddlegate, furgate?

What other "gates" have we had? I also remember a grassgate for gta 5, but i think there was a real difference between the versions with that.
Yep the numbers of gates come from close minded peoples...Yep this one is bad.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Is everyone losing in this thread because you are very upset about video game graphics or is everyone winning because you're all giving each other the attention some so badly seem to need. :pie_thinking:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Is everyone losing in this thread because you are very upset about video game graphics or is everyone winning because you're all giving each other the attention some so badly seem to need. :pie_thinking:
the-office-win-win.gif

I'd give it to R&C too but it has large peaks and troughs especially for such a short game. There is a ton of room for improvement going forward.

The open-ish world levels look pretty crap in general imo, this one in particular:
UUyRFtw.jpg

WNl0Air.jpg

te9lffH.jpg

There is stuff that is SSR instead of RT that really spoils the look of certain areas:
85vHOeV.jpg
mztitbt.jpg

LeHoCgX.jpg

I don't think the fur is particularly impressive (in game at least):

42apshi.jpg

aaRZeit.jpg

And there is definitely some bullshotting going on in photo-mode even if it is just boosting the res to 4k and moving out shadows:

In-game:
FqCHeXA.jpg

Photo-mode:
e90Dvlo.jpg

I do really like Forza but the AA used can really spoil things especially in the jungle scenes.

Hunnybun

I'd give it to R&C too but it has large peaks and troughs especially for such a short game. There is a ton of room for improvement going forward.

The open-ish world levels look pretty crap in general imo, this one in particular:
UUyRFtw.jpg

WNl0Air.jpg

te9lffH.jpg

There is stuff that is SSR instead of RT that really spoils the look of certain areas:
85vHOeV.jpg
mztitbt.jpg

LeHoCgX.jpg

42apshi.jpg

aaRZeit.jpg

And there is definitely some bullshotting going on in photo-mode even if it is just boosting the res to 4k and moving out shadows:

In-game:
FqCHeXA.jpg

Photo-mode:
e90Dvlo.jpg

I do really like Forza but the AA used can really spoil things especially in the jungle scenes.

I don't know what you're doing with those shots but they look way worse than anything I've seen when actually playing the game. I think Sargasso is probably the weakest stage graphically tbf, although imo it's still really good looking. It probably doesn't help that there's quite a bit of foliage and that looks like it's going to remain a problem to render well this generation.

I always found the other stage (Sarvali??) One of the nicer looking ones tbh. Beautiful colour scheme.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

UUyRFtw.jpg

WNl0Air.jpg

yooo that's Drakan !!

JackMcGunns

Banned
That's not a fact at all.

Fact does not mean fact anymore same way literally means figuratively. Lol

The fact of the matter is that we believe is should be there. DF and NXGamer are also opinion based, but you mentioning that DF didn't list and therefore implying that everyone else's opinion is moot because of that is silly. DF not having it doesn't change the fact that we believe it should be listed.

Capice? It's not that hard, it does NOT mean that an opinion is fact. smdh

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Banned
No idea what you are trying to say here.

Ok, I was agreeing with Riky that Flight Simulator should've at least been mentioned, but now I think I know why it wasn't, I think FS was released in 2020, not 2021 but I have to check. Anyway the point is you said DF didn't list it either, somehow negating that it over rules everyone else's opinion. I simply stated that just because DF didn't list, doesn't change the fact that we believe it should be there.

Ok, I was agreeing with Riky that Flight Simulator should've at least been mentioned, but now I think I know why it wasn't, I think FS was released in 2020, not 2021 but I have to check. Anyway the point is you said DF didn't list it either, somehow negating that it over rules everyone else's opinion. I simply stated that just because DF didn't list, doesn't change the fact that we believe it should be there.

I'm curious as to what graphical updates Flight Sim got in 2021. I read about a performance upgrade but nothing about a visual update.

Edit: By graphics update I mean something similar to what happened with Metros new lighting system for example.

Last edited:

John Wick

This thread was pure entertainment. Made certain people look like fools and exposed a few known people who claim to be neutral defend the indefensible............
These clowns made even bigger fools of themselves. I mean how could a PS franchise have the best graphics on weaker hardware eh?

Topher

Gold Member

And that would have been a valid point, but that's not what you said. If that is what you meant then no problem.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm curious as to what graphical updates Flight Sim got in 2021. I read about a performance upgrade but nothing about a visual update.

Edit: By graphics update I mean something similar to what happened with Metros new lighting system for example.

It didn't. The console versions also run at lower settings than what's available on the PC version so from a technological perspective we saw nothing new on the console versions in 2021.

You're free to believe what you want, doesn't make it correct.

It didn't. The console versions also run at lower settings than what's available on the PC version so from a technological perspective we saw nothing new on the console versions in 2021.

So long story short a downgraded version of the game came out in 2021. I can understand why he didn't mention it. It really isn't a big deal because most sites already put it on their top ten lists the year it came out. I don't think thats a bad thing IMO.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Banned

I think it had something to do with the way it pulls real-time information from maps or something to that extent.

JackMcGunns

Banned

You're free to believe what you want, doesn't make it correct.

So now we're back at opinions being facts/correctness? It wasn't listed not because the visuals didn't deserve it, but because it was a 2020 release, not 2021.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Banned
That's something that was done in the 2020 version. What I read about was a big update that improved performance due to managing memory better. The article didn't mention any visual upgrades.

Gotcha, wasn't really following it. I downloaded the game and flew by my house and other shenanigans, but I stopped playing it. I have a cousin that's an absolute nut with simulators, has been since like the first one, but not really my cup of tea. But even so, the time I spent with it was more fun that I expected simply by visiting hurricanes or famous landmarks like the Pyramids of Giza

GHG

Gold Member
So now we're back at opinions being facts/correctness? It wasn't listed not because the visuals didn't deserve it, but because it was a 2020 release, not 2021.

Yes that's exactly what's happening.

Or at least it can be if you choose to ignore the post I was responding to.

Gotcha, wasn't really following it. I downloaded the game and flew by my house and other shenanigans, but I stopped playing it. I have a cousin that's an absolute nut with simulators, has been since like the first one, but not really my cup of tea. But even so, the time I spent with it was more fun that I expected simply by visiting hurricanes or famous landmarks like the Pyramids of Giza

Thats fine and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with it but this list is about best looking games in 2021. Flight Sim might have a place in an all time list but this one just focuses on 2021. Metro had it's lighting overhauled while Ride had a visual upgrade done to it. Flight Sim didn't have anything like that done but it still appeared on many sites 2020 list. It's why I think it's a bit weird that some believe it should be included in this list.

Not taking anything away from Flight Sim but it's also the same reason why Demon Souls isn't on this list and that game was also on many sites 2020 list.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

UUyRFtw.jpg

WNl0Air.jpg

te9lffH.jpg

85vHOeV.jpg
mztitbt.jpg

LeHoCgX.jpg

42apshi.jpg

aaRZeit.jpg

In-game:
FqCHeXA.jpg

Photo-mode:
e90Dvlo.jpg

15 hours game with large variety of levels, environments and cgi like graphics.
summarized to "bad graphics for such a short game". WTF MAN

HrqvXIO.jpeg

Df did talk about the fur.

Gimme a sec and ill find it.

About the fur disappearing during gameplay?

I read about the LODs but nothing about it being absent from gameplay.

Edit: I actually just looked at some gameplay shots (not photomode) and it's definitely there.

Maybe it's absent in one of the modes but I haven't seen any proof of that yet.

Last edited:
Nah, they just mentioned it. Iirc they seem to like it.

Mentioned what exactly?

Haven't seen them say that its gone during gameplay. What I did read was that there's different levels of it depending on whether it's a cutscene or not. But to Insomniac benefit everything is realtime if I'm not wrong.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not seeing where they said it goes away. Basically they are saying that they are using Spiderman's Spline based hair technology and then show it during actual gameplay.
I never said they said, just that they talk about fur.
I know your convo was about vfx saying fur is degraded during gameplay, but thought ppl might be interested to hear what DF said about fur anyway.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I was expecting something like this for current gen lol

Edit: its funny watching that back some of the environments look inferior to UE5s nanite environments. However the chracter models, tentacle,string and particle effects look a gen a head over something like returnal.

However this made in UE5, so there is still hope

Last edited:
I never said they said, just that they talk about fur.
I know your convo was about vfx saying fur is degraded during gameplay, but thought ppl might be interested to hear what DF said about fur anyway.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry about that I thought I might have missed something that DF said. Anyways there isn't any proof from anyone that the fur is gone during gameplay. I did read speculation on better fur during cutscenes which is something that I believe can happen due to the devs having more resources during those moments.

Oh yeah almost every game with RT reflections uses SSR in a bunch of places as fallback.

There's really nothing wrong with Insomniac doing it to get performance back where available.

Just seems like they are being smart with the RT. Still Ratchet RT is impressive despite them using SSR at some points.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sorry about that I thought I might have missed something that DF said. Anyways there isn't any proof from anyone that the fur is gone during gameplay. I did read speculation on better fur during cutscenes which is something that I believe can happen due to the devs having more resources during those moments.
For the record, what I said was a hyperbolic statement due to the fact that the fur at the playable camera distance indexes a very low and short curve primitive proxy (i.e. a lower LOD) and therefore making it drastically inferior to the ingame cinematics and/or forcing the camera to zoom into a wall (which NXGamer was trying to show) when pushing Ratchet against a wall and rotating the camera around to force a higher level of detail. The fur during normal gameplay is extremely short and very far away and difficult to see any details. It takes up a very small region of pixels to render the scene. This produces a light load on the GPU when rendering the fur and keeps framerates high. Couple that with an inaccurate hair shading model (shared by every other game engine) and no ambient occlusion for self-shadowing and the hair becomes unimpressive to me.

I argued that the game should have been judged on actual normal gameplay visuals and the default camera distance from the viewer and not cinematics or cutscenes (which both NXGamer and DF did). But knowing how many people are on these boards, they took my hyperbolic statement and used it to fuel their usual trolling whenever my thoughts don't align with theirs.

bargeparty

I don't know what you're doing with those shots but they look way worse than anything I've seen when actually playing the game. I think Sargasso is probably the weakest stage graphically tbf, although imo it's still really good looking. It probably doesn't help that there's quite a bit of foliage and that looks like it's going to remain a problem to render well this generation.

I always found the other stage (Sarvali??) One of the nicer looking ones tbh. Beautiful colour scheme.

I think the shots are a little disingenuous. They're compressed jpg at a minimum so that's affecting any fine detail and they're using either Performance or Performance RT mode. In Fidelity going into photo mode doesn't introduce shadows as it does in his screens, that's a performance or RT mode thing. Which isn't unusual for photo mode to add in extras. The point before was about the fur, which is clearly present at all times during gameplay.

They've also picked out a few sparse, near outside of the map areas in the flying shots of Sargasso, but whatever.

bargeparty

For the record, what I said was a hyperbolic statement due to the fact that the fur at the playable camera distance indexes a very low and short curve primitive proxy (i.e. a lower LOD) and therefore making it drastically inferior to the ingame cinematics and/or forcing the camera to zoom into a wall (which NXGamer was trying to show) when pushing Ratchet against a wall and rotating the camera around to force a higher level of detail. The fur during normal gameplay is extremely short and very far away and difficult to see any details. It takes up a very small region of pixels to render the scene. This produces a light load on the GPU when rendering the fur and keeps framerates high. Couple that with an inaccurate hair shading model (shared by every other game engine) and no ambient occlusion for self-shadowing and the hair becomes unimpressive to me.

I argued that the game should have been judged on actual normal gameplay visuals and the default camera distance from the viewer and not cinematics or cutscenes (which both NXGamer and DF did). But knowing how many people are on these boards, they took my hyperbolic statement and used it to fuel their usual trolling whenever my thoughts don't align with theirs.

Shut up about the god damn fur.

AMC124c41

Neo Member

I'm sorry, let me get this straight. So what you're saying is that because a game engine works as a game engine should and changes LODs based on distance to camera all of a sudden the graphics are not impressive?!? I get that you're a veteran in your field but it seems that real-time graphics are not your thing and they may never impress you. Even when real-time will look the way CGI looks now you'll still scoff at it since CGI will always be ahead due to its very nature so I still don't get what you're trying to prove here?!?

Top Bottom