• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] The Best Graphics/Technology of 2021

GHG

Gold Member
When did Metro Exodus come out, once again your point is irrelevant and bait.

"Bait" yeh?:

gNKg0xs.jpg

dave-chappelle-shut-the-fuck-up.gif

tommib

Tbf I've only played the demos of Village. I thought it looked nice but very cross gen, with various rough elements.

I actually think Deathloop looks like a reasonable effort at a next gen title, it's just that its art style seems to be hard for a lot of people to look past. But there are scenes that look almost photorealistic, at least to me. And definitely a step beyond normal last gen games.

But I know I'll never persuade people on this. Even the experts like NXG and DF seem to disagree with me.
I’m with you. Focusing on specific items in deathloop and the attention to detail is insane. The geometry as well is immense and texture work is incredible. It’s the general 60s architecture and mid-century furniture that puts people off.

I have a feeling it’s the same with Returnal. It’s super dark, alien, oppressive, mono colour… People drool with tropical beaches and rays of sunshine not alien nightmare planets with no sunlight.

Riky

$MSFT
"Bait" yeh?:

gNKg0xs.jpg

dave-chappelle-shut-the-fuck-up.gif

It's still the same game, putting a stupid gif doesn't change that fact, just shows an inability to discuss properly.

arvfab

Banned
Agree, but I also have to agree with Riky that it’s a bit inconsistent to exclude it but still have Metro Exodus in it.

But Metro got a current-gen version AND an enhanced PC version, while FS2020 was ported to consoles only, without doing anything different to last year's version.

Otherwise we could start arguing that Death Stranding and GoT Director's Cuts are missing.

GymWolf

Returnal, village and ascent over guardians??

Except for ratchet and maybe forza\demons this was a weak year for graphic tbh.

Next year 3\4 of that list are gonna look cute at best if stuff like hogwarts, hellblade 2 and the non-dlc version of ragnarock are gonna come out...(not even talking about confirmed stuff like horizin or stalker sequels)

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You need to STFU dude. Metro Exodus on console is not the same game. They changed the rendering engine from the last-gen version that is why it deserves to be on the list.

Telling people to STFU, really? It's just my opinion on a games forum full of opinions, don't be hurt by it.
When my save works from Xbox One it's the same game, they changed the graphics pipeline, that doesn't make it a different game.

Hunnybun

I’m with you. Focusing on specific items in deathloop and the attention to detail is insane. The geometry as well is immense and texture work is incredible. It’s the general 60s architecture and mid-century furniture that puts people off.

I have a feeling it’s the same with Returnal. It’s super dark, alien, oppressive, mono colour… People drool with tropical beaches and rays of sunshine not alien nightmare planets with no sunlight.

I think with Deathloop it's not quite so much the setting as its very slightly cartoony aesthetic. It's a bit weird, especially in tandem with lots of photorealistic elements. eg the rocks and the cliffs: these are actually highly complex models with great textures, but the developers seem to have made them deliberately sort of 'blocky' looking - if you know what I mean? Basically there are quite a lot of things in the game that look unrealistic or even simple, but done for clearly artistic rather than technical reasons.

I'd also say there's some of that going on with Returnal, actually. Housemarque games were always a bit like this - strongly stylised. There are parts of Returnal where I'm damn sure they could've gone for higher fidelity textures/more photorealism etc, but they chose not to to chase a particular style.

skit_data

But Metro got a current-gen version AND an enhanced PC version, while FS2020 was ported to consoles only, without doing anything different to last year's version.

Otherwise we could start arguing that Death Stranding and GoT Director's Cuts are missing.
That’s true, Metro Exodus got an overall upgrade on all platforms whereas FS2020 got a slight downgrade on Series console (still a very impressive technological feat though).

GHG

Gold Member
It's still the same game, putting a stupid gif doesn't change that fact, just shows an inability to discuss properly.

You asked when it came out, I give you the answer and you get upset? Not a fan of facts are you?

It's also a completely revamped version of an old game, the way it's rendered (along with the materials) is completely different to how it was in the original version. It's not a case of "the same PC game as before but now released on console (yay...)".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really the same thing as Metro at all. Flight Sim was a straight console port. Metro Exodus Enhanced was not simply a "re-title".

Yes I know, but if a retail re-release is the criteria to list a game in a new years list, that would have sufficed :D

I, personally, have no issue with Metro being on the list. But I think other games came out this year that could have served the 2 spots taken by Metro and Ascent better. But that's just me and this isn't my video.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Excellent music choices in the video, even a Simonetti name-check!

Impeccable taste Michael. :D

Tripolygon

Banned
Telling people to STFU, really? It's just my opinion on a games forum full of opinions, don't be hurt by it.
When my save works from Xbox One it's the same game, they changed the graphics pipeline, that doesn't make it a different game.
Sometimes some people need to be told to stfu. Your whole argument makes no sense. Flight Simulator is an amazing-looking game and got its due praise when it came out. It was ported to XSX and S, it is the same game, no rendering changed between the new port.

Metro Exodus on the current-gen console scraps the last-gen rendering engine. It has nothing in common with the last-gen version in terms of rendering.

Riky

$MSFT
It's not JUST a port, though. Flight Sim IS just a port. Metro has had its graphics significantly enhanced, and as it's a list about graphics, I think it's fair to include it in the list.

I don't agree, having something "enhanced" doesn't make it new, Gears 5 was enhanced when it came to Series X with a multitude of improvements including Global Illumination, does that make it a new game?
I don't think it does, maybe he could have put Metro in his honourable mentions and said it's not a new game but some interesting advancements were made if we're discounting games that were previously released in an earlier year. The same way I said that Flight Sim on console just deserves to be mentioned as it's never been on consoles before and wasn't possible on last gen machines at all.
I think there is a case to be made for what I'm saying without all the bait and abuse I've got for just stating my opinion.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

So eligibility for the list depends on save compatibility?

Does the FS2020 PC save work with the XSX version?

Metro Exodus has no save transfer from PS4 to PS5.

There you have it: only PS5 version of Metro is in the list.

Satisfied?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yes I know, but if a retail re-release is the criteria to list a game in a new years list, that would have sufficed :D

That is clearly not the criteria. NXG specifically highlights the enhancements made in the video and that is why it is on the list.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Best Graphics Technology for me for 2021 is by far Metro Exodus's pure RT implementation. R&C has everything going on for it with artistic direction. I'm betting that the switching of worlds can be done without the PS5's SSD. The RT reflections aren't enough to put the game in the top spot for best graphics technology.

NXGamer should have judged based on 100% tech and not on art imo. Returnal shouldn't have been on that list at all. This proves how desperate we are to create a list of "Best of". Added particles in a game shouldn't be enough to put this game on the list. The resolution is poor and the texture/normal maps are of low quality as well.

Last edited:
Decent list. I would prefer Forza on first, but R&C are great.
Forza is a nice #2 for me , it is good looking but it's no R&C , Forza still is last gen , R&C is very well this gen , i'm playing Forza in ultra settings on my pc and it's still no R&C
To each their own i guess

Fake

Forza is a nice #2 for me , it is good looking but it's no R&C , Forza still is last gen , R&C is very well this gen , i'm playing Forza in ultra settings on my pc and it's still no R&C
To each their own i guess

I don't have zoom or others tools to measure this and that. I telling you what my eyes are seeing. Forza on Series X is really a great looking games besides being a crossgen.

And I guess people gonna change their minds when Horizon Forbidden West release.

Topher

Gold Member
Best Graphics Technology for me for 2021 is by far Metro Exodus's pure RT implementation. R&C has everything going on for it with artistic direction. I'm betting that the switching of worlds can be done without the PS5's SSD. The RT reflections aren't enough to put the game in the top spot for best graphics technology. NXGamer should have judged based on tech and not on art imo.

There is more to R&C than just art though. For example, the fur on Ratchet and Rivet is incredible. Digital Foundry highlighted that in their video and it is a big reason why they agree with NXG on R&C being best.

VFXVeteran

Banned
There is more to R&C than just art though. For example, the fur on Ratchet and Rivet is incredible. Digital Foundry highlighted that in their video and it is a big reason why they agree with NXG on R&C being best.
The fur on Ratchet is horrendous. Games still can't create a good hair shader that holds up. The shader that I developed for film is way too expensive for videogames in realtime. R&C is using actual curves for geometry but the shading/lighting looks just as bad as most games - especially in gameplay.

Last edited:
I don't have zoom or others tools to measure this and that. I telling you what my eyes are seeing. Forza on Series X is really a great looking games besides being a crossgen.

And I guess people gonna change their minds when Horizon Forbidden West release.
Same here man !
I'm just going by what eyes are seing
We'll see when Horizon comes out , what really helped R&C imo was the world felt alive , hopefully Horizon can match that...

Rea

Your post is not an opinion, you're just denying a fact. Metro enhance on current gen console has totally revamped lighting engine, but FS on console is just a downgraded version of PC, there's nothing new tech in it.

adamsapple

NXGamer should have judged based on 100% tech and not on art imo. Returnal shouldn't have been on that list at all. This proves how desperate we are to create a list of "Best of". Added particles in a game shouldn't be enough to put this game on the list. The resolution is poor and the texture/normal maps are of low quality as well.

water-cup.gif

What have you done ..

Last edited:

GymWolf

Put me on the list of people not impressed by village, that game has a nice mansion area and that's it, the rest of the locations are extremely uneven, i think re2 remake looks better tbh.

And the melee\shooting animation are pretty meh for an AAA.

Topher

Gold Member
The fur on Ratchet is horrendous. Games still can't create a good hair shader that holds up. The shader that I developed for film is way too expensive for a videogames in realtime. R&C is using actual curves for geometry but the shading/lighting looks just as bad as most games - especially in gameplay.

I disagree. The fur looks amazing. It was something I noticed playing long before Digital Foundry highlighted and praised it in their video. Here is what they had to say:

But....you are free to your own opinion so.....

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Props to NXGamer NXGamer for calling out Microsoft for not pushing next gen in their two big AAA titles this year. I have harped on this before, but these tech sites are supposed to be Graphics critics and we need them to hold Sony, MS, Nintendo and third parties accountable for an underwhelming year in graphics where we literally cant fill our top ten lists.

I hope you are there with the same criticisms next year when Sony launches not two but three AAA last gen only titles with potential of at least four if TLOU remake and Faction turns out to be cross gen. Sure they will look great like Forza, but like you said, it's a shame that when you put them side by side you can barely even tell a difference.

If I were NXGamer, i wouldnt even put cross gen games on this list in 2022 on principle. This isnt a charity. We have to have some standards.

Hunnybun

I don't agree, having something "enhanced" doesn't make it new, Gears 5 was enhanced when it came to Series X with a multitude of improvements including Global Illumination, does that make it a new game?
I don't think it does, maybe he could have put Metro in his honourable mentions and said it's not a new game but some interesting advancements were made if we're discounting games that were previously released in an earlier year. The same way I said that Flight Sim on console just deserves to be mentioned as it's never been on consoles before and wasn't possible on last gen machines at all.
I think there is a case to be made for what I'm saying without all the bait and abuse I've got for just stating my opinion.

I'm not abusing you and I'm sorry if people have been.

Nobody is saying Metro EE is a new game. My POV is that its graphics have been significantly changed - an entirely new lighting pipeline, effectively - and therefore it merits attention in a discussion about graphics.

It seems to me that your argument would've precluded Demon's Souls from consideration last year, because ultimately it's just a port.

And yet, with entirely new graphics, most people would say it's reasonable to discuss it as part of the best graphics last year.

So for me the question is how significantly improved do the graphics have to be to be considered separately? Obviously that's a matter of judgement. For me the Metro changes upgrade the visuals so comprehensively that they're effectively new graphics so should be included.

I don't see any such case for including FS. This is for graphics produced last year. And that's just not the case with that game.

tommib

Props to NXGamer NXGamer for calling out Microsoft for not pushing next gen in their two big AAA titles this year. I have harped on this before, but these tech sites are supposed to be Graphics critics and we need them to hold Sony, MS, Nintendo and third parties accountable for an underwhelming year in graphics where we literally cant fill our top ten lists.

I hope you are there with the same criticisms next year when Sony launches not two but three AAA last gen only titles with potential of at least four if TLOU remake and Faction turns out to be cross gen. Sure they will look great like Forza, but like you said, it's a shame that when you put them side by side you can barely even tell a difference.

If I were NXGamer, i wouldnt even put cross gen games on this list in 2022 on principle. This isnt a charity. We have to have some standards.
I agree. From Sony’s side, none of the big cross gen stuff they’re releasing looks as groundbreaking as Ratchet, Demon’s or Returnal. Hopefully Starfield will raise the stakes later this year.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Last line is a little too extreme. Cross-gen doesn't mean a game can't have nice enough visuals to be put on top-lists.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm not abusing you and I'm sorry if people have been.

Nobody is saying Metro EE is a new game. My POV is that its graphics have been significantly changed - an entirely new lighting pipeline, effectively - and therefore it merits attention in a discussion about graphics.

It seems to me that your argument would've precluded Demon's Souls from consideration last year, because ultimately it's just a port.

And yet, with entirely new graphics, most people would say it's reasonable to discuss it as part of the best graphics last year.

So for me the question is how significantly improved do the graphics have to be to be considered separately? Obviously that's a matter of judgement. For me the Metro changes upgrade the visuals so comprehensively that they're effectively new graphics so should be included.

I don't see any such case for including FS. This is for graphics produced last year. And that's just not the case with that game.

I understand your point, and thanks for being civil in a discussion, appreciated.
I'm not saying Metro shouldn't be there, I'm saying if it is then I think FS could be mentioned as well, like Ride 4 is a game released in 2020..........

Also there were some changes made to the engine that also came to the PC improving performance dramatically when the Series versions came out, including changes to the weather system. The fact that it's a next gen game and the first console iteration and the way a console streams maps in real time I think qualifies it for a mention.
Also if we're being really pedantic like some other people who have piled on me are, not you, then the version on Series consoles with the weather changes etc is the GOTY version which according to Microsoft launched in 2021.

Rea

The fur on Ratchet is horrendous. Games still can't create a good hair shader that holds up. The shader that I developed for film is way too expensive for videogames in realtime. R&C is using actual curves for geometry but the shading/lighting looks just as bad as most games - especially in gameplay.
RnC is not a film though, Jesus lord, why are you even comparing the shader use in film with shader use in real time rendering. Are you serious?

Top Bottom