• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] The Best Graphics/Technology of 2021

tommib

NR8pzAM.png

Last edited:

tommib

I was just about to post how I can't see how Flight Sim isn't there over even the likes of FH5, if we're talking about graphics and technology then it's about as next gen as they come and yet cross gen games are on that list, just seems funny to me.
Flight sim is from 2020, mate. I agree. Flight sim is tremendous but it was chosen last year.

Last edited:
Not surprising. Ratchet and Clank was probably the most impressive looking game I've ever played.
I find the other games in the series bland (I'm stupid, I have played a bit in most of the games in the series)... But I may get this one when it's very cheap on looks alone.

Cherrypepsi

I was just about to post how I can't see how Flight Sim isn't there over even the likes of FH5, if we're talking about graphics and technology then it's about as next gen as they come and yet cross gen games are on that list, just seems funny to me.

Nice try

it is there....
only in his 2020 video... timestamped just for you darling

keep up the warring though

Last edited:

Vognerful

Because technically, FS2020 cane on PC in 2020.

tommib

Impossible, inferior console to deliver top 1 and 2. The list is paid, I'm telling you

amazing games, we are in for a ride
To be fair, top 2 are next gen exclusives. I’m sure when next-gen exclusives become the bread and butter things will be more split.

Not on console and this seems to be all about console games, I mean Flight Sim on a £249 Series S, that deserves some recognition at least.
What does it do that is new? nice shading on planes? volumetric clouds? The assets streaming?

It looks great in many areas, but "running on S" doesn't mean it has a place in the list, there are hundreds and hundreds of games that run on the S.
tCLFNbb.jpeg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys,

I know many if you don't like Riky. But don't keep baiting him and then wonder why Sony threads spiral down into pity fighting.

That's a bad way to say a correct thing, lol.

Let's not @ other users especially when they haven't even posted anything.

Guardians of the Galaxy is certainly missing from that list.

Honestly, that game is great but it doesn't really do anything that noteworthy visually except some good art and good facial capturing. But I would have still swapped it in place of The Ascent.

What does it do that is new? nice shading on planes? volumetric clouds? The assets streaming?

As DF said, it's a genuine next-gen experience, that buckles modern PC's to their knees, successfully brought over to the Series consoles.

But it's also a game from last year, so I get why it's not on the list.

Last edited:

elliot5

That's a bad way to say a correct thing, lol.

Let's not @ other users especially when they haven't even posted anything.

Honestly, that game is great but it doesn't really do anything that noteworthy visually except some good art and good facial capturing. But I would have still swapped it in place of The Ascent.
Characters and facial animation and hair rendering are all pretty damn good in it. And just general material quality. I think it deserved an honorable mention at the least.

Rocket and the llama have some of the best long hair/fur I’ve seen in a game. Ratchet is probably superior but is short/fuzzy fur mostly which is why I mention long hair.

Hunnybun

It seems to be just me but I think Deathloop at least deserves a mention in these lists. I know it has a strange aesthetic, and the character models are a bit basic, but it's a gorgeous game a lot of the time. Beautiful lighting and textures, and lots of geometric detail. I certainly found it more impressive than RE Village.

Hunnybun

Guardians of the Galaxy is certainly missing from that list.

Yeah it's a strange omission. I remember I was just absentmindedly browsing the PS store one day and came across it in the coming soon section. So I just checked out a few screens without expecting much, and I was blown away. It's a glorious looking game on a 4k tv. Has to be one of the high water marks for last gen graphics, surely.

Pretty sure if Metro Exodus had different re-releases every year, it would still be in top 5. Well done to the team, RTGI in that game is fantastic and still one of the best atmospheres in gaming. Hopefully 2022 does give us some actual next-gen stuff because for now, we're still only getting cross-gen.

adamsapple

Pretty sure if Metro Exodus had different re-releases every year, it would still be in top 5. Well done to the team, RTGI in that game is fantastic and still one of the best atmospheres in gaming. Hopefully 2022 does give us some actual next-gen stuff because for now, we're still only getting cross-gen.

STALKER 2 looks like a good first next-gen only Metro.

Roxkis_ii

It seems to be just me but I think Deathloop at least deserves a mention in these lists. I know it has a strange aesthetic, and the character models are a bit basic, but it's a gorgeous game a lot of the time. Beautiful lighting and textures, and lots of geometric detail. I certainly found it more impressive than RE Village.

Deathloop is a good looking game, but I think Re:V looks more impressive due to the more realistic style.

Now, I'm only talking as someone who watched people play these games, but I didn't really see anything in Deathloop that blew me away like the Castle section in RE. The textures and lighting are just immaculate.

adamsapple

Deathloop is a good looking game, but I think Re:V looks more impressive due to the more realistic style.

Now, I'm only talking as someone who watched people play these games, but I didn't really see anything in Deathloop that blew me away like the Castle section in RE. The textures and lighting are just immaculate.

Deathloops like a good innovative game to PLAY, but honestly nothing in the games visuals look remarkable enough to be on any top lists.

Especially cause the game launched with various issues, mostly on PC, if I'm not mistaken.

Jaysen

Banned
Guys,

I know many if you don't like Riky. But don't keep baiting him and then wonder why Sony threads spiral down into pity fighting.
In other words, Dear Fanboys, stop acting like childish fanboys.

As for the list, I’d put Returnal above Ratchet, but that’s mostly because I found Ratchet to be a bore of a game, and I sunk 150 hours into Returnal.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Tbf I've only played the demos of Village. I thought it looked nice but very cross gen, with various rough elements.

I actually think Deathloop looks like a reasonable effort at a next gen title, it's just that its art style seems to be hard for a lot of people to look past. But there are scenes that look almost photorealistic, at least to me. And definitely a step beyond normal last gen games.

But I know I'll never persuade people on this. Even the experts like NXG and DF seem to disagree with me.

Tripolygon

Banned
Top Bottom