• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYP: Professor who donates sperm in city bathrooms has sired 22 kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

This guy is an idiot on so many levels. He is literally a sex offender masturbating in public bathrooms. And of course he is liable for child support. I'm not sure why anyone would have a child with someone so dumb lol.

Strike

She_Hate_Me_film_poster.jpeg

“I don’t know what’s more surprising: that five sued or that 17 didn’t,” Nagel says. “They were all well aware there was no financial obligation on my part. They all promise in advance they won’t sue.”
He really should've got that in writing.

Kieli

Surprised any man is ever willing to be an anonymous sperm donor if they could be on the lam for child support.

And no, I'm not referring to this dude...

Hoooly shit, this dude was one of my professors when i went to kingsborough!! Honestly i had a feeling this would be about him when i saw math teacher + kingsborough

Hes a really cool dude, i wanted to take him for the more advsnce math but he wasnt teaching it

Keri

So if a woman uses a sperm bank to get pregnant, she can still sue for child support? Still doesn't make sense. She knew what she was doing here - getting sperm, from a donor - and it seems to me that there should be no expectation of anything more. She should make sure she is able to support the child beforehand (by herself, with partner, or w/e). Absolutely crazy that they can go after the donor who provided a service to them.

You're missing the point. Child support belongs to the child. So what the woman should have known or however prepared she should have been, doesn't matter. Yeah, all those things would be great, but it doesn't mean the child loses their right to support from their biological father. As for sperm banks, I'm not sure how that works. It might be that child support isn't sought, because the bank protects the identity of the donor or it may just be that the people using that service are less likely to need or seek support.

Future

This guy is an idiot on so many levels. He is literally a sex offender masturbating in public bathrooms. And of course he is liable for child support. I'm not sure why anyone would have a child with someone so dumb lol.

Why is he a sex offender?

You're missing the point. Child support belongs to the child. So what the woman should have known or however prepared she should have been, doesn't matter. Yeah, all those things would be great, but it doesn't mean the child loses their right to support from their biological father. As for sperm banks, I'm not sure how that works. It might be that child support isn't sought, because the bank protects the identity of the donor or it may just be that the people using that service are less likely to need or seek support.

I get the child part, but this is still mind blowing. I think there should be no or very limited possibility of child support in a sperm bank situation. The entire service is provided with the knowledge from both parties that there won't be any sort of father relationship - just a means to become pregnant. It also seems to be pricey enough to keep away women who would not have been able to support the child anyways. Definitely need to read more about the whole process.

Why would anyone donate? The liability seems outrageous. Are people informed of this when they donate?

BobLoblaw

Banned
“I don’t know what’s more surprising: that five sued or that 17 didn’t,” Nagel says. “They were all well aware there was no financial obligation on my part. They all promise in advance they won’t sue.”
Always get receipts ya'll.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This time might do the trick. The prolific professor is often successful, which he attributes to a high sperm count: 85 million per milliliter.

“It’s off the charts,” he boasts. “The clinic said they’ve never seen anything like it.”

(The Mayo Clinic says normal sperm density ranges from 15 million to greater than 200 million sperm per milliliter.)

lol

And getting pregnant is much more involved than sperm count.

Is this guy an idiot?
Yes, yes he is.

Keri

I get the child part, but this is still mind blowing. I think there should be no or very limited possibility of child support in a sperm bank situation. The entire service is provided with the knowledge from both parties that there won't be any sort of father relationship - just a means to become pregnant. It also seems to be pricey enough to keep away women who would not have been able to support the child anyways. Definitely need to read more about the whole process.

Why would anyone donate? The liability seems outrageous. Are people informed of this when they donate?

Oh, I see. Yeah, I think the norm is definitely that sperm donors (through proper banks) are not typically held liable for child support. In fact, I'm not sure there's ever been a case of an anonymous donor being found liable for child support, in the United States. I think it's like you said though, that the process self-selects women who are more than capable of caring for their children themselves and, so, don't seek support (or government assistance which would result in the government seeking to hold the father liable).

About half the time, he provides his seed the old-fashioned way. Sometimes, a lesbian looking to conceive will have her partner in the bed for moral support while she and Nagel engage in intercourse.

That's someone's fetish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom