• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Daesh trying to buy fictional explosive substance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ri'Orius

7OxlPAH.jpg

$2M USD OBO

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
this story actually made me feel a bit better about the whole global terrorism situation, in that it looks like the probabilities of daesh/isis actually assembling a nuclear device are...pretty low, apparently. Keep trying to do magic, dipshits

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
No surprise here, those people are dumbasses stuck in their middle age mentality.

To be fair, they are a lot dumber than that. I mean this is the group that banned physical activity and science being taught in schools. They would stick out like a sore thumb in Golden age Arabia.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a bit comforting that they are such ignorant dumbasses. I mean, that's partly why they're doing what they're doing in the first place, but in this context it's a good thing.

Beartruck

Lost in at him mentioning the substance that summons Jinni. Like wow, yeah, I guess ISIS would be full of guys roughly that smart.

Sky Chief

Not sure why we haven't made some hoax red mercury containers for them that are really just conventional bombs that we can remotely detonate when they receive them

Nikodemos

Crazy urban legends like these are fascinating.
Also kind of scary.
The amount of gullibility in the world.
And maybe extremism is a part of that kind of magical thinking.
Sort of. Thing is, the average practicing Muslim is more superstitious than the average practicing Jew or Christian. This is due to a flaw in Islam itself.
See, in Islam there is such a thing as magic. It comes from boons granted (willingly or unwillingly) by jinni or afreeti. Whereas Christianity (dunno about Judaism, but I suspect it's rather close) firmly and strongly states that there's no such thing as magic, merely a bunch of self-delusional idiots. And occasional demonic possession.

Sort of. Thing is, the average practicing Muslim is more superstitious than the average practicing Jew or Christian. This is due to a flaw in Islam itself.
See, in Islam there is such a thing as magic. It comes from boons granted (willingly or unwillingly) by jinni or afreeti. Whereas Christianity (dunno about Judaism, but I suspect it's rather close) firmly and strongly states that there's no such thing as magic, merely a bunch of self-delusional idiots. And occasional demonic possession.

Ymean like angels, demons, saints, blessings and miracles?

Christianity only constrained it a bit and changed some names, same as usual.
One of the largest christian sects gets in a big group every so often to have one of their wizards magic biscuits into meat, after all.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Four Lions seems like a documentary at times like this.

Four Lions was based on research of actual terrorist cells.

One example were terrorists trying to blow up a navy vessel, they planned to drop the explosives off in a wooden boat and take it from there. However they put the explosives into the boat and it immediately sank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom