• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama commutes sentence of 61 non-violent prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obama-commutes-sentences-61-prisoners-n547956

President Obama backed up his calls for reforming the way society punishes non-violent criminals on Wednesday by commuting the sentences of 61 prisoners — a third of them lifers.

"They're Americans who'd been serving time on the kind of outdated sentences that are clogging up our jails and burning through our tax dollars," Obama said ahead of a lunch meeting with some of ex-cons whose sentences he commuted earlier at the Busboys and Poets restaurant in Washington.

Referring to the newest batch of prisoners who are about to be set free, Obama said "most of them are low-level drug offenders whose sentences would have been shorter if they were convicted under today's laws."

"I believe America is a nation of second chances, and with hard work, responsibility and better choices, people can change their lives and contribute to our society," he said. "That's why as long as I'm president, I'm going to keep working for a justice system that restores a sense of fairness, uses tax dollars more wisely, and keeps our communities safe."

Many of the newly-commuted prisoners were doing time for crack cocaine offenses — a group that reformers say is disproportionately African-American.

Among the freed prisoners are four members of a group called Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM). They are:

Ismael Rosa, a salsa musician with a cocaine addiction and two prior drug arrests who was sentenced to life in 1994 for being involved in a drug conspiracy for six days.
Kenneth Harvey, who also had two priors and got a life sentence in 1990 for possessing 50 grams or more of crack cocaine.
Carol Denise Richardson, who got life in 2006 for being part of a crack cocaine ring — and who has been separated from her four daughters for a decade.
Jesse Webster, who was sentenced in 1996 to life in prison for being part of cocaine ring — his first and only drug arrest.

Obama has repeatedly called for either reducing or eliminating mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent drug crimes — and has called on Congress to pass a criminal sentence reform bill. While there is some bipartisan support for change, so far it has not happened.

The White House on Tuesday touted that Obama has granted 248 commutations, more than his six predecessors combined.

But the Obama administration has come under withering criticism for lack of progress on his "Clemency Project 2014," which was aimed at freeing drug offenders who were sentenced to prison before the easing of notoriously harsh mandatory minimum rules.

So far, Obama has pardoned only 70 people — the fewest since John Adams.

His clemency initiative triggered an avalanche of applications.

But the administration has not kept up: at last count, there were more than 9,115 pending petitions for commutations, compared to 2,785 in 2014, according to the Justice Department. There are also 958 pending applications for pardons, the highest number since 2011.

The White House's former pardon attorney, Deborah Leff, resigned in January. In her departing letter, obtained by USA Today through a Freedom of Information Act request, Leff said she'd been hamstrung by a lack of resources, poor access to the Office of White House Counsel, and had been instructed to set aside thousands of petitions.

Julie Stewart, the president of Families Against Mandatory Minimums, which pushes for the easing of drug sentencing laws and for the expanded use of clemency, praised Obama's new batch of commutations. She said she'd like to see more.

"But he can¹t single-handedly undo the damage caused by 30 years of terrible sentencing laws," Stewart said in a statement. "Only Congress can do that."

Kind of hoping that he grants clemency to thousands and thousands of people on his last day in office.

Referring to the newest batch of prisoners who are about to be set free, Obama said "most of them are low-level drug offenders whose sentences would have been shorter if they were convicted under today's laws."

Evilore clearly read this when he freed Wollan.

Arc

Presidents normally grant pardons near the end of their second term right? I wonder if we'll see more coming from Obama. Can't wait to see the Fox News spin.

2MF

This seems like such obvious low hanging fruit. If I were suddenly made president this is one of the few things that I'd be sure to get right.

Kettch

I understand how the three strike stuff happened, disgusting as it is, but how did Webster get life for his first drug offense? A lot don't get that for killing people. It shouldn't take 20 years and the President of all people to get that overturned.

harSon

Banned
I understand how the three strike stuff happened, disgusting as it is, but how did Webster get life for his first drug offense? A lot don't get that for killing people. It shouldn't take 20 years and the President of all people to get that overturned.

Black enhancement

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I understand how the three strike stuff happened, disgusting as it is, but how did Webster get life for his first drug offense?
If you understand it then you understand that no matter what kind of offense, if you do three of them, then you go to jail for life.

It's a pretty ridiculous concept.

kirblar

Wasnt there suppose to be a big movement of 10k prisoners? What happened to that?
The person in charge of it recently resigned, and cited the big factors as the DoJ constantly fighting their proposed commutations despite her office and another one having researched and sent in their recommendations. Essentially, didn't feel the administration had their backs.

Kettch

If you understand it then you understand that no matter what kind of offense, if you do three of them, then you go to jail for life.

It's a pretty ridiculous concept.

Right, like I said, I understand that. I didn't understand the guy who got life for a single arrest.

Jesse Webster, who was sentenced in 1996 to life in prison for being part of cocaine ring — his first and only drug arrest.

EDIT: Oh, I guess maybe he had arrests for non-drug offenses? That would make more sense than the system being even more broken than I already thought.

Afrikan

Carol Denise Richardson, who got life in 2006 for being part of a crack cocaine ring — and who has been separated from her four daughters for a decade.

low-level drug offender? I don't the whole story, but if she was legit guilty....I don't know man.. this one doesn't seem cool. Doesn't matter about her being separated from her four daughters.

being part of a crack cocaine ring. Shaking my head in disgust.

edit- I guess getting life for that is a common thing. I would think you would really have to be deep in organization for them to give you life.

low-level drug offender? I don't the whole story, but if she was legit guilty....I don't know man.. this one doesn't seem cool. Doesn't matter about her being separated from her four daughters.

being part of a crack cocaine ring. Shaking my head in disgust.
People who have killed other people have been sentenced for less time.

Life for a nonviolent offense is insane.

Afrikan

People who have killed other people have been sentenced for less time.

Life for a nonviolent offense is insane.

you are right that killers should get more time.

but imo, being part of a crack cocaine organization is not a "nonviolent offense". The effect of that organization on other people has/could have led to more deaths.

I thought this thread was going to be about 3rd strike Weed offenders.

you are right that killers should get more time.

but imo, being part of a crack cocaine organization is not a "nonviolent offense". The effect of that organization on other people has/could have led to more deaths.

I thought this thread was going to be about 3rd strike Weed offenders.
She took part in an organization that ruined people's lives and worsened society.

Many white collar criminals do the same and only get a fraction of the sentence in comparison

Afrikan

She took part in an organization that ruined people's lives and worsened society.

Many white collar criminals do the same and only get a fraction of the sentence in comparison

I guess I took the wrong approach on a career....

be part of a Cocaine Organization... stack up the money...have it hidden somewhere, so when I'm out it's waiting for me.

in other countries your ass would be executed... they're lucky to get life or close to it.

They choose to do that shit.

GhostBed

be part of a Cocaine Organization... stack up the money...have it hidden somewhere, so when I'm out it's waiting for me.

in other countries your ass would be executed... they're lucky to get life or close to it.

People get sucked into these rings because of their addictions. They didn't grow up wanting to be drug dealers, but if you become addicted to something, selling it can be the best way to obtain it. It's a mental issue that she should have gotten help for, not life in prison. That doesn't solve anything and is a waste of money.

And are you suggesting she should be executed for it? Should we just execute everyone with a drug problem? I, for one, think it's a good idea to model our justice system after significantly more violent and inhumane ones. /s

SURGEdude

Glad to see Obama has at least in the last year of his term finally softened a bit on drugs. The way the laws are enforced against certain groups disproportionately makes the whole thing even more awful than it already is.

SOUNDS LIKE UNCLE OBUMMER IS GETTING SOLDIERS FOR HIS JIHAD TAKE OVER OF AMERICAN VALUES AND MAKING HIMSELF KING!!!!!

RkshpHF.gif

spwolf

yep, crack dealers, not weed, lol.

But at the same time, most of them already spent 20 years in jail... they likely would not get life today due to changed laws. So thats all right. As long as people understand they were crack dealers, I would not call that "low-level" drug offender. When you say low-level, I am thinking someone smoking pot and getting arrested or doing any kind of drug for their own personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom