• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama to New Yorker: "Nothing is the end of the world until the end of the world"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So going to miss the Obama's, their family dignified our country after a shameful time period. Just got this in the mail and it made me remember...

MrIcN2f.jpg

Would you rank Canada higher? If so, check out our history. Much to be ashamed of. Doesn't take away the fact that every day, progress is made, as are apologies for & solutions to the mistakes of the past.
Higher in what sense? Canada has its share of racism, it's not as balata to as the US.

Also, can you honestly say things are getting better when black people are still being killed by police officers with no penalty?

What about the racist shit people are spouting day in and day out?

BriGuy

And Obama's successor, armed with a rubber stamp legislative branch, is going to do his damnedest to erase his legacy out of pure spite. He pleaded with voters to get out there as a personal favor to him, and we responded with the lowest voter turnout in a generation. We didn't deserve Obama.

Very limp sentiment that makes me think you haven't been paying attention to how things are developing. People can express their contempt at the same time as "persevering through whatever hard times/situations they have."
I said this exact same thing in my post, which makes me believe you aren't paying attention to what I actually said and instead trying to curve it in whatever direction you want.

tuffy

People forget just how large of a mess Dubya had left behind because Obama was so good at cleaning it up. Much of what Trump's proposed can be rolled back too (if it's feasible at all) - it's just a matter of finding a candidate with the charisma to get elected and the intelligence to get it done.

Nafai1123

Banned
To be fair it's not the end of the world.

The world would kill a vast majority if not all of humanity and other life then recover. It lived without us on it quite well and it'd do so again.

"As we know it" is always implied when someone talks about the end of the world because we're a self-centered species.

Lowmelody

I said this exact same thing in my post, which makes me believe you aren't paying attention to what I actually said and instead trying to curve it in whatever direction you want.

Exactly. So many people are content with complaining and crying about things instead of persevering through whatever hard times/situations they have. So much bitching going on. It's fine to express concerns, but it's become more about the individual instead of fixing/pushing through the problem.

You aren't dead, good lord.

instead of

instead of

instead of

If you contradict yourself in the same post, I'll pick the stupidest part to point out. Especially when it's talking down to people.

Yeah that's an amazing read. I wish more Americans could shut off TV and turn away from idiotic Facebook memes and fucking read.
It's almost hard to imagine how the world would be if this happened. Well, aside from better.

If you contradict yourself in the same post, I'll pick the stupidest part to point out. Especially when it's talking down to people.
If you can't understand context, then I have nothing more to say to you. Go ahead and chop away. I'm not into chatting with a wall that just wants to seem right. Do whatever makes you feeling better.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Despite the fact that he said that he accomplished 70-75% of what he set out to do, it feels more like 20% due to an obstructionist Congress. Listening to him, it seems like there's just an incredible amount of stuff still left on the table that hasn't even begun to be changed and it's kinda depressing.

In my mind I can't think of another two term president that had to leave so much on the table.

bomma_man

Man that passage about the changing economy is great.

the reason your lives are so shit is because you keep for voting for republicans instead of people like Obama, you fucking idiots

Ryzaki009

"As we know it" is always implied when someone talks about the end of the world because we're a self-centered species.

That's fair. I just makes me feel odd since for the planet since said "end" would probably be an upgrade.

But yeah I admire Obama's optimism I certainly don't share it though.

Despite the fact that he said that he accomplished 70-75% of what he set out to do, it feels more like 20% due to an obstructionist Congress. Listening to him, it seems like there's just an incredible amount of stuff still left on the table that hasn't even begun to be changed and it's kinda depressing.

In my mind I can't think of another two term president that had to leave so much on the table.

Trump will get more done in two years than Obama did in eight. One thing you can always depend on from Republicans is when they get control, they get their shit through. Democrats really did screw up Obama's majority early on. Should have gotten so much more done.

I wish he could take a nice long break but we're gonna need his leadership in these dark times. Seems like he knows it too.

Trump will get more done in two years than Obama did in eight. One thing you can always depend on from Republicans is when they get control, they get their shit through. Democrats really did screw up Obama's majority early on. Should have gotten so much more done.

His majority contained chucklefucks like Joe Lieberman. I still hate that guy. :-(

Lowmelody

It's almost hard to imagine how the world would be if this happened. Well, aside from better.

If you can't understand context, then I have nothing more to say to you. Go ahead and chop away. I'm not into chatting with a wall that just wants to seem right. Do whatever makes you feeling better.

Look at your finger waging, holier than thou post and then read the bolded. No self awareness at all.

Jeffrey

the positive to come from this is that, dude still has 20 years in him to help america, and we gotta be behind him.

tuffy

At the rate he's going, in two years Trump will still be putting his cabinet together.

entremet

Should be coming. It's a Presidential tradition. Probably needs time to cool for a bit before he could throw folks under the bus lol.

Can't wait to read about his underground White House mosque he installed, along with revelations of his real birth certificate.

"I fooled you suckas!"

"Too late!"

aeolist

Banned
if he's not secretly angry he's in denial.

he had so much trouble getting anything done because he was fighting half his own party as well as democrats. republicans now won't have that problem.

he'll be lucky if literally anything he's done as president is still in place a year from now, much less post-trump.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Love Obama and all, but that quote is not exactly comforting, lol.

I'm hoping it's more of a "I can't stand that asshole" kind of thing instead of "the country is so fucked".

Obama has every right to personally loathe the man.

entremet

if he's not secretly angry he's in denial.

he had so much trouble getting anything done because he was fighting half his own party as well as democrats. republicans now won't have that problem.

he'll be lucky if literally anything he's done as president is still in place a year from now, much less post-trump.

Obama doesn't seem the type. I'm sure he got frustrated. But he's generally been described as a cool as cucumber type of guy.

The GOP actually used calm demeanor against him in their characterization of him as "weak". They're obsessed traditional authoritarian hot head blowhards like Putin, Gingrich, Limbaugh, and now Trump.

This is a true leader. He's endlessly articulate and incredibly fascinating to listen to. I know I'm preaching to the choir but Obama is the best, there's simply no way around it. Best president we will have for a long time. I want to read a post-presidency book now.

Also, Trump is such a hilariously awful step down from the calm, wise Obama. I guess that's what most of America voted for; they don't understand Obama so they think he's against them.

What a remarkable man. I especially enjoy the insightful comments about automation and the impact it's going to have on us, and how we're going to need to prepare ... and the fact that the GOP are going to try and take us further away from being ready for that.

Fuck.

spock

Obama is most def on same next level. Amazing ability to understand and verbalize multiple layers of thought with mad finesse... :)

What a remarkable man. I especially enjoy the insightful comments about automation and the impact it's going to have on us, and how we're going to need to prepare ... and the fact that the GOP are going to try and take us further away from being ready for that.

Fuck.

Yeah that quote shook me

There is no running away from progress. America used to be the ones pushing it. Now half our country rejects it and wants to go back to the good ol days that arent coming back

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The new media ecosystem “means everything is true and nothing is true,” Obama told me later. “An explanation of climate change from a Nobel Prize-winning physicist looks exactly the same on your Facebook page as the denial of climate change by somebody on the Koch brothers’ payroll. And the capacity to disseminate misinformation, wild conspiracy theories, to paint the opposition in wildly negative light without any rebuttal—that has accelerated in ways that much more sharply polarize the electorate and make it very difficult to have a common conversation.”

Look at this. Look at it. Highly intelligent, thoroughly researched, carefully considered, and articulated with a razor-sharp deftness, as always. That's my President.

We just voted to send a career criminal, racist, draft dodger, billion dollar tax evader, serial goddamned pussygrabber who personally orchestrated the conspiracy theory to undermine Obama's Presidency, his faith, his patriotism, and his fundamental identity as an American...directly to the White House to take his job and immediately repeal everything he fought for on behalf of us over the last eight years.

We're replacing him with his internet troll.

Look at this. Look at it. Highly intelligent, thoroughly researched, carefully considered, and articulated with a razor-sharp deftness, as always. That's my President.

We just voted to send a career criminal, racist, draft dodger, billion dollar tax evader, serial goddamned pussygrabber who personally orchestrated the conspiracy theory to undermine Obama's Presidency, his faith, his patriotism, and his fundamental identity as an American...directly to the White House to take his job and immediately repeal everything he fought for on behalf of us over the last eight years.

We're replacing him with his internet troll.

Yah, but Hillary lied and people died.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The dude is so damn articulate it's insane.

Wonder when the next time we'll get someone as intelligent as him in office again...

... Considering we just elected the dumbest president since... Reagan?

The new media ecosystem “means everything is true and nothing is true,” Obama told me later. “An explanation of climate change from a Nobel Prize-winning physicist looks exactly the same on your Facebook page as the denial of climate change by somebody on the Koch brothers’ payroll. And the capacity to disseminate misinformation, wild conspiracy theories, to paint the opposition in wildly negative light without any rebuttal—that has accelerated in ways that much more sharply polarize the electorate and make it very difficult to have a common conversation.”

That marked a decisive change from previous political eras, he maintained. “Ideally, in a democracy, everybody would agree that climate change is the consequence of man-made behavior, because that’s what ninety-nine per cent of scientists tell us,” he said. “And then we would have a debate about how to fix it. That’s how, in the seventies, eighties, and nineties, you had Republicans supporting the Clean Air Act and you had a market-based fix for acid rain rather than a command-and-control approach. So you’d argue about means, but there was a baseline of facts that we could all work off of. And now we just don’t have that.”
This, to me, is the most worrying thing about the state of our current world.

I used to be so optimistic about the potential of the internet and technology, but... I just don't know anymore. How can we have a common conversation in this age?

Red

This, to me, is the most worrying thing about the state of our current world.

I used to be so optimistic about the potential of the internet and technology, but... I just don't know anymore. How can we have a common conversation in this age?
Until this election, I was disgusted by the misinformation but remained optimistic that better minds would prevail. After this election I am simply disgusted.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I genuinely do not assume the worst, because I’ve seen the best so often. So it is a mistake that I think people have sometimes made to think that I’m just constantly biting my tongue and there’s this sort of roiling anger underneath the calm Hawaiian exterior. I’m not that good of an actor. I was born to a white mother, raised by a white mom and grandparents who loved me deeply. I’ve had extraordinarily close relationships with friends that have lasted decades. I was elected twice by the majority of the American people. Every day, I interact with people of good will everywhere
And this is why he faced eight years of Republican obstructionism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom