• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama to New Yorker: "Nothing is the end of the world until the end of the world"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

I am going to miss Obama, of the three presidents that served during my life, he was the best, and that day he got inaugurated, the raw hope and optimism of a better future (wether you believe it panned out or not) on that winter day in 2009, that is a day I will never forget.

And even now, Obama reminds and consoles that the its not the end- its easy to be pessimistic, but I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Look at this. Look at it. Highly intelligent, thoroughly researched, carefully considered, and articulated with a razor-sharp deftness, as always. That's my President.

We just voted to send a career criminal, racist, draft dodger, billion dollar tax evader, serial goddamned pussygrabber who personally orchestrated the conspiracy theory to undermine Obama's Presidency, his faith, his patriotism, and his fundamental identity as an American...directly to the White House to take his job and immediately repeal everything he fought for on behalf of us over the last eight years.

We're replacing him with his internet troll.

Yea but hawkish Hilary and her evil emails would ruin us.

XenodudeX

Reading this made me so fucking sad. We are really replacing this amazing person with a piece a shit like Trump. Holy fuck we need a fucking revolution more than ever. But that won't happen unless things get really really bad.

Red

Reading this made me so fucking sad. We are really replacing this amazing person with a piece a shit like Trump. Holy fuck we need a fucking revolution more than ever. But that won't happen unless things get really really bad.

When people say things won't change unless they get "really really bad," I think they are severely underestimating the impact a Trump presidency may have on civil rights, national debt, the environment, and the stability of geopolitics worldwide. Things right now are "really really bad." The problem is proximity and visibility. Climate change is easy to ignore, because its impact won't be tangible to many people until years from now. Civil rights are easy to strip because privileged populations don't feel the lash. National debt can be passed down to the next generation. Geopolitics are mystifying even for those who take an interest, and propaganda can be weaponized for use against minorities and immigrants, oversimplifying international relations and motivating opinion out of fear.

I can't be the only one profoundly unsettled by the right-wing nationalism that has swept the world. It strangles my heart. It keeps me up at night.

Savitar

If he writes a memoir I will so buy it, the things he put up with and to deal with......to see him really say everything he might hold back on.......imagine it.

Fox Mulder

His grace and optimism is a gift and a curse. Nice to see him going out positive really, but the racist obstructionists won and will tear down as much of his legacy as they can.

He wasted so much time trying to work with a party that doesn't operate in good faith. Congress will fly through their agenda without giving a fuck about the other side now though.

Look at this. Look at it. Highly intelligent, thoroughly researched, carefully considered, and articulated with a razor-sharp deftness, as always. That's my President.

We just voted to send a career criminal, racist, draft dodger, billion dollar tax evader, serial goddamned pussygrabber who personally orchestrated the conspiracy theory to undermine Obama's Presidency, his faith, his patriotism, and his fundamental identity as an American...directly to the White House to take his job and immediately repeal everything he fought for on behalf of us over the last eight years.

We're replacing him with his internet troll.
hes strong hes passionate hes smart hes tough

hello??

I'll always be proud of him and his years in office, despite the devolution about to happen. He is the leader this country deserved and the founding fathers would be proud of him. I take comfort in the fact that this country voted for him not only once, but twice, and will vote for another one like him in the future no matter how long it takes.

Brinbe

Great interview. What an incredibly thoughtful and forward-thinking man. There's no telling how much progress could've been made if he had a semi-cooperative Congress. I feel confident in saying that his best works will be what he accomplishes in his post-Presidential life. He will be free to inspire, mobilize and develop a new generation of leaders.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
From Bush to Obama, from Obama to Trump... Honestly starting to think that Obama was a fluke. He was elected in spite of his intellect, not because of it. :(

President Obama's intellect is at the heart of his talent for connecting with a wide range of constituents and inspiring hope in millions. Cognition to think of the plan to spread emotion to influence the electorate. Can't have the latter without the former. Give the dude a little more credit.

I am so proud that in my lifetime I got to see a black president, something I would have never thought would happen in 100 years. And he was just as awesome and twice as good as I thought he would have to be.

border

tumblr_ogjkq5y3Sy1vxk1jpo1_540.jpg

Yeah, I guess he feels like he has to remain gracious while he's still president but I'm a little tired of hearing him try to minimize the gravity of our current situation. If your best assessment of things is "The sun will rise tomorrow" or "It's not the end of the world" then the state of affairs is probably quite dire.

SpaceWolf

Banned
How did he speak with his two daughters about the election results, about the post-election reports of racial incidents? “What I say to them is that people are complicated,” Obama told me. “Societies and cultures are really complicated. . . . This is not mathematics; this is biology and chemistry. These are living organisms, and it’s messy. And your job as a citizen and as a decent human being is to constantly affirm and lift up and fight for treating people with kindness and respect and understanding. And you should anticipate that at any given moment there’s going to be flare-ups of bigotry that you may have to confront, or may be inside you and you have to vanquish. And it doesn’t stop. . . . You don’t get into a fetal position about it. You don’t start worrying about apocalypse. You say, O.K., where are the places where I can push to keep it moving forward.”

God, I love Obama.

GhaleonEB

God, I love Obama.

Yeah. The election results, and how they were achieved, have hit me pretty hard. But Obama has taken on this role of national grief counselor and provider of perspective. And it's helped me a lot in the last couple weeks. I hope he stays visible when he becomes a private citizen again.

Skilletor

Yeah. The election results, and how they were achieved, have hit me pretty hard. But Obama has taken on this role of national grief counselor and provider of perspective. And it's helped me a lot in the last couple weeks. I hope he stays visible when he becomes a private citizen again.

Same. I'm still processing, but reading Obama has really helped. I'm going to follow him, educate myself, and figure out how I can best fight and help.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Obama is so intelligent, eloquent, and well-reasoned. He's front and center of the biggest disaster he could have imagined, and he's not only weathering the storm, but he's seeing it through and trying to help everyone else too.

How did America go from this guy to this... thing?

Pyrokai

Obama is so intelligent, eloquent, and well-reasoned. He's front and center of the biggest disaster he could have imagined, and he's not only weathering the storm, but he's seeing it through and trying to help everyone else too.

How did America go from this guy to this... thing?

Fake news and Breitbart.

Blader

Yeah. I was trying to converse with Trump supporters and they live in a separate reality where Hillary started the birther movement.

Which I still don't understand, because Trump's political popularity came out of promoting birtherism in the first place. So if you like Trump for calling out Obama's seemingly fake birth certificate, why would you want to give Hillary Clinton the credit for that?

Azih

"And your job as a citizen and as a decent human being is to constantly affirm and lift up and fight for treating people with kindness and respect and understanding. And you should anticipate that at any given moment there’s going to be flare-ups of bigotry that you may have to confront, or may be inside you and you have to vanquish. And it doesn’t stop. . . . You don’t get into a fetal position about it. You don’t start worrying about apocalypse. You say, O.K., where are the places where I can push to keep it moving forward.”

That's a quote for the ages. Kindness, respect, understanding, but no surrender, always ready to confront bigotry, always ready to vanquish the darkness in our selves, and always pushing forward. This is not coddling. This is the only way to make things better.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i hope he does let loose after he is out of the white house. all that "people made their choice" and other "this is fine" stuff rings a bit hollow considering how obvious he made it before the election how insane trump being the president would be.

"at least i will go down as a president," oh lawd.

No matter what Obama says, he always come across reasonable and well intentioned. His calm is so refreshing while everyone else is losing their shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom