• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

ManaByte

Gold Member
y6JLBOs.jpg

The Jedi Master contends with the consequences of his greatest defeat -- the downfall and corruption of his one-time friend and apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side as evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
First episode was just okay. Feels kind of like star wars 3.5. Some sort of interesting stuff but a lot of walking around

MrMephistoX

Best Star Wars since Rogue One expectations surpassed. Holy shit.

Do have to say order 66 with kids made me want to throw up in a good way after the Texas shooting

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The first episode was great - I haven't been that entertained by the first episode of a new Disney show since The Mandalorian. My only gripes

- The actress playing the inquisitor: she is a bad actress IMO. She can't even emote convincingly. She dragged down every scene she was in. She's so bad she makes me think I could fly out to L.A. and make a career out of acting

- Why the hell does Luke have very dark hair? Like, how did the casting dept fuck that up?

My favorite surprise: Leia

Coolest bit as a lifelong Star Wars fan: Uncle Owen finally getting proper lines and screen time

Tygeezy

Boy… I think this sucked hard and its extremely rough after watching severance. Little Leia is incredibly annoying, and somehow full grown adults have a hard time running this 4 foot 2 girl down on foot.

Reva is terrible with that permanent scowl on her face and terrible line delivery, and now apparently she is bad guy #1 after immediately dispatching the grandmaster. They’re just shoving this extremely unlikeable villain down our throat. The second and 9th sister from fallen order were much better than her, and I didn’t exactly think they were brilliant either.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The second episode was awesome too, but again, this actress they got to play the inquisitor is so fucking awful. I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

That cliffhanger holds promise. Thinking it's go time next week.

ItsGreat

Why do the crowd scenes look so janky in these Disney shows.

The extras look they're trying too hard in every scene they're in. They don't look natural at all - and the directors seem to linger on them to drive the narrative into our brains.

Mando, Boba, Obi and soon Andor all have the over emoting crowd scenes. Totally not natural.

Nankatsu

Damn, you're guys are hyping it a lot, which is great.

I read a narrative flow leak and didn't like it that much, so maybe it was a stinky leak.

Guess I'll have to binge Disney+ for one month because I need to watch this tonight.

give it to me GIF

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Oof, if they're describing the events accurately this show is definitely worth watching for the wrong reasons :messenger_winking_tongue: .

And young Leia is the baby Yoda of this show.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Why do the crowd scenes look so janky in these Disney shows.

The extras look they're trying too hard in every scene they're in. They don't look natural at all - and the directors seem to linger on them to drive the narrative into our brains.

Mando, Boba, Obi and soon Andor all have the over emoting crowd scenes. Totally not natural.

Virtual sets/greenscreen. They are working in an empty studio.

Saw a bunch of folks on the other site nitpicking the shit out of this show. I haven’t watched yet but I think I’m going to trust my fiancées kid’s reaction to it more than film and tv snobs. Woke up to a million get hyped texts from him. As if I didn’t hear him geeking out downstairs at four in the morning.

Ulysses 31

Saw a bunch of folks on the other site nitpicking the shit out of this show. I haven’t watched yet but I think I’m going to trust my fiancées kid’s reaction to it more than film and tv snobs. Woke up to a million get hyped texts from him. As if I didn’t hear him geeking out downstairs at four in the morning.
That's a bit of a double edged sword, can your kids spot bad writing, how familiar are they with established Star Wars lore? Do they easily fall for "jangling keys"? If they just like to consume then shows on streaming services do seem to fit that bill.

Last edited:

Alex11

Just love that last part of episode 2. First Leia reminds him of Padme, then he learns Anakin is alive. Double gut punch. Give Ewan the Emmy now.
Up until now I was under the impression that he knew that Anakin is alive,I mean,how could he have not known this?

Ulysses 31

Just love that last part of episode 2. First Leia reminds him of Padme, then he learns Anakin is alive. Double gut punch. Give Ewan the Emmy now.
How common knowledge was it that Vader = Anakin in the Empire? Would Imperial Inquisitors be privy to that?

Ulysses 31

Up until now I was under the impression that he knew that Anakin is alive,I mean,how could he have not known this?
Be prepared for more lore bending/breaking stuff like Obi-Wan and Vader having another fight before the one in the OT.

Last edited:

Alex11

Be prepared for more lore bending/breaking stuff like Obi-Wan and Vader having another fight before the one in the OT.
I don´t really mind them having another fight/s, I want more action, after the recap, the opening to ep 1 to me was awesome, gave me goosebumps.After that,it was a tiny bit a drag,but ep 2 corrects that.
The only thing very jarring to me was when Leia outran those dudes in the woods,that was comically bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don´t really mind them having another fight/s,
It’s supposedly two:

First fight might be in episode 3. Vader wins, but then Obi-Wan has a flashback to a sparring match he and Anakin had in the Jedi Temple just prior to ROTS and remembers something he uses the second time.

Obi-Wan schools Anakin in the second fight due to that memory and because:
he hears Qui-Gon for the first time

Last edited:

Alex11

It’s supposedly two:

First fight might be in episode 3. Vader wins, but then Obi-Wan has a flashback to a sparring match he and Anakin had in the Jedi Temple just prior to ROTS and remembers something he uses the second time.

Obi-Wan schools Anakin in the second fight due to that memory and because:
he hears Qui-Gon for the first time
Bring them on!
Also,I kinda wished there will be 2 ,I thought there will be just 1 in the last episode.

Ulysses 31

Bring them on!
Also,I kinda wished there will be 2 ,I thought there will be just 1 in the last episode.
Still a little character breaking that Vader would consider himself the learner still in those fights and a decade after he joined Palpatine... 👀

Unless Vader has a line he's still learning in those fights. :goog_unsure:

Trunx81

Just watched the two episodes and it’s … it’s ok. Not Boba bad while also not Mando good. Something in between. Did we really need to learn how Luke got his toy ship?
Leia was funny in Episode 1, annoying in the second half of episode 2.

Regarding Ben not knowing about Vader makes sense: He’s on an outskirt planet, news don’t travel that far and he was low profile for 10 years, not even using the force for that long. That’s why Anakin felt him at the end of part 2.

All in all a solid 7/10, by IGN standards. Also remember that this was to be a movie - you can sometimes feel the fillers that they had to make to drag it to show length.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Regarding Ben not knowing about Vader makes sense: He’s on an outskirt planet, news don’t travel that far and he was low profile for 10 years, not even using the force for that long. That’s why Anakin felt him at the end of part 2.
And at this point I don’t think Vader is even that active or visible. He’s sitting in his castle in his tank on Mustafar and letting the Inquisitors hunt down Jedi. It’s not until he ends the Inquisitors a couple of years before ANH that Vader is running around everywhere himself.

Alex11

And at this point I don’t think Vader is even that active or visible. He’s sitting in his castle in his tank on Mustafar and letting the Inquisitors hunt down Jedi. It’s not until he ends the Inquisitors a couple of years before ANH that Vader is running around everywhere himself.
But doesn`t this contradict a bit the end of ROTS where he is overseeing things alongside Palps?To me it seemed that from there on he himself would hunt the rest of the Jedi or allies.
Maybe I`m missing a lot,didn`t watch any of the animated series or read the novels and whatnot.Need to ask a friend who is up to speed with those.:messenger_beaming:

BaneIsPain

It was solid 7/10. The beginning was a fun flashback. Overall is ok but Reva actress looks amateurish imo. This has the potential to be good but let's see.

sol_bad

This show is a bit rough unfortunately and did not meet expectations. I expected more from Deborah Chow. The fumbling adults chasing Leia scenes really fucking pissed me off.
Nothing too interesting about the story so far, it needs to get meatier. At least this is about Obi-Wan! And yeah, the third sister actor isn't good and isn't intimidating at all.

Tieno

Ewan mcgregor has such a good face for acting. God damn, all that emotion. His beard and hair are also amazing. What a gifted man.

Ulysses 31

But doesn`t this contradict a bit the end of ROTS where he is overseeing things alongside Palps?To me it seemed that from there on he himself would hunt the rest of the Jedi or allies.
Maybe I`m missing a lot,didn`t watch any of the animated series or read the novels and whatnot.Need to ask a friend who is up to speed with those.:messenger_beaming:
Vader was the Emperor's 2nd in command so he was visible when he was working for the Emperor. He seemed well known by the rebels in the OT.

The OT Vader also didn't put up with insubordination and he killed for less so it boggles the mind a bit seeing Inquisitor Reva getting away with what she does in this show.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Didn't even like the Mado parts? :lollipop_confounded:

The show's only 6 episodes anyway, waiting for feedback of the the full thing doesn't seem like a hard thing to do.
Not really, to be honest. Not trying to rain on the parade, but there was no true tension or sense of danger, imo.

Waiting isn't hard, but I rather just ask now bc I'm curious.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm waiting for all episodes to release before watching. i can't be arsed with this waiting a week for the next episode.

Halcyon

I felt like both episodes were 50/50 in the amount of good vs bad in them.

I'm enjoying the parts specifically concerning Ben but all the other stuff is pretty cringe.

Melon Husk

😬

edit:

:messenger_grimmacing_

I get the impression that the showrunners did not want to make this show at all.
KOTOR games gave a less indie/fanfic vibe and they written by a bunch of D&D nerds.

• This is a marvel comedy show
  • This is a show where you don't have to pay attention to know what's going on
  • This is a show for phone watchers. Watch it on your phone! The level of effort put into cinematography suits that format just fine
  • This show is set in massive empty (covid-proof) halls.
  • This show's dialogue style is inconsistent with the prequel trilogy and often doesn't fit the universe
  • This show is hamming it up with the dark sister and the discrimination subcontext that is context so strongly that even a 5-year-old gets it

:messenger_grimmacing_

GOOD GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH MCGREGOR'S VOICE
Imitating Guinness once for a joke ("*Cough* Sorry, I had sand in my throat") would have been OK.

Rating: :messenger_grimmacing_ / 10

Last edited:
First episode was very slow paced but understandably so. I didn't really have any gripes at all but I can think of off the bat. Some of the scenery is really nice and Alderann or however it's spelled, looks just kind of like I imagined.

The only Inquisitor that has my attention is the bald one who seems to be grand Inquisitor.

Edit: wtf there's a second part today! You got to be kidding me? Oh well going to start watching part 2 right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom