• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nah Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , that under the coat thing is INEXCUSABLE. Now if they had set it up with some sort of fat bodied aliens that kinda look like a guy smuggling a kid out or something THEN it could have been played for laughs .But obi Wan was tonally far too serious to pull that off as a joke.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Nah Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , that under the coat thing is INEXCUSABLE. Now if they had set it up with some sort of fat bodied aliens that kinda look like a guy smuggling a kid out or something THEN it could have been played for laughs .But obi Wan was tonally far too serious to pull that off as a joke.
Agree to disagree.

Lady Jane

Banned
I'm getting tired of this green screen dome. After Mando, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan, it's really obvious to me now when I'm watching it.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I'm getting tired of this green screen dome. After Mando, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan, it's really obvious to me now when I'm watching it.
Somehow it seems like a downgrade from normal green screens, at least there more often than not the characters don't look superimposed on the screen in those... 👀👀👀

AJUMP23

Gold Member
At first the volume was impressive tech, but now it is just overused cost savings. It does some things great, and other things not well.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think volume has it's place, folks just need to learn when it is appropriate. Much like the TERRIBLE overuse of CGI in the 90's (I mean, just look at Lost in Space or Mummy 2) that has, largely been resolved as folks learned where CGI can really work (remove wires from stuntmen, enhance backdrop sets, manage vehicles very well) and where it gets dodgy (full CGI characters interacting with live action). So I expect great things from it though I hope it doesn't totally eliminate on location shooting with natural light as I feel the rush to get "that perfect moment" can enhance the final product versus a bunch of actors working 9-5 totally on a set.

Lady Jane

Banned
We watched A New Hope as Obi-Wan was airing and the difference in setting was stark. The actors were in an actual desert. The random wind, squinting their eyes, their dirty hair, sand on their clothes, dirty shoes, out of breath, dry lips and skin. I felt like I was watching a story that actually happened. These green screen domes make the show feel like it came out of a factory.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So I still havent watched any ObiWan. Should I?

Boba Fett was average to bad IMO. Manalorian is starting to lose me as well.

I dont really have any ObiWan spoilers except
a young Leia is in it.

Should I watch it? Thanks

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
For any fan of the prequals, yes, its a must watch.

You will have your own opinion on it, me personally it should have been a 2 part 90 min each special.

I wish they would have made the Book of Boba Fett a single movie with a proper budget and it sounds like ObiWan coudl have been 1 movie as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

The OT matte backgrounds still look beautiful to this day imo. It really gave the originals a timeless look compared to CGI.

9a98fd7a68601cdde69e4a278cd545d8.jpg

Sybrix

I wish they would have made the Book of Boba Fett a single movie with a proper budget and it sounds like ObiWan coudl have been 1 movie as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

Agree about Boba Fett.

These SW shows are so stretched out, in a 7/8 episode season, about half are really good, the other are filler, seems like the trend will be in all SW shows going forward. This is the way.

Lady Jane

Banned

a young Leia is in it.

It's the definition of 'safe'. Just go in knowing that they don't respect the plot points and weight of the events in ANH. The line "I haven't heard that name since before you were born" is ignored and the weight of Obi-Wan engaging Darth Vader at the end of ANH isn't taken into consideration since they have a saber fight early on. Whether it's a must watch or not is hard to say but it's on par with the recent SW output from Disney so don't expect anything bold.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

a young Leia is in it.

Go watch the heavily edited cut posted here earlier. If you like it, then stop there and take the win. If you dislike it, then thank yourself for only losing 2.5 hours of your life instead of 5 or whatever. Obi-wan is an objectively BAD SHOW, even with moments of quality. It defintiely does not respect your time nor justify anywhere near 6 episodes.

Go watch the heavily edited cut posted here earlier. If you like it, then stop there and take the win. If you dislike it, then thank yourself for only losing 2.5 hours of your life instead of 5 or whatever. Obi-wan is an objectively BAD SHOW, even with moments of quality. It defintiely does not respect your time nor justify anywhere near 6 episodes.
Yeah I watched the edit, that's the way to go. It works for me as a sort of "What If" type story like some of the EU stuff from the 90s.

DelireMan7

I just watched episode 5...

So far, it's still OK. I enjoy it. Leia is less annoying and I kind of get use to the music (But why not using the classics ?!).
No surprise Reva turned to the good side. A bit scare of where it will go with Luke. Scare it touches to much on the story from the Original trilogy...
Also some really questionable writing (The great inquisitor suddenly popping back, Reva left for dead but of course she's not, Obi Wan giving all his stuff to the fake Jedi just to make him forgetting the communicator on the ground so that the "not so dead Reva" finds it...).

BUT ! HOLY MOTHER BUT! The important thing is THE FUCKING VADOR'S DEMONSTRATION OF POWER ! I was giggling like a little boy all along !
I have a confession to make, as a kid I of course found Vador cool but I was never convince on the fact he was so powerful. Because you never really see it.
Then at the end of Rogue One, there was a nice glimpse in its power. But now ! NOW ! NOW ! This is what I wanted to see !

I mean he's stopping a full spaceship using the Force, then he completely obliterates Reva without using his lightsaber and then he still "gives her chance" in a lightsaber duel where he again dominates like it's nothing.
Fucks the Jedi, I turn to the Dark Side !
Star Wars Dancing GIF

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

a young Leia is in it.

Short answer? Yes.

I thoroughly enjoyed it despite its flaws.

Catphish

a young Leia is in it.

Only if you hate yourself. It sucks.

Maybe read the plot summary of every episode but the last, and watch that. But do not watch the whole thing, unless you just want to witness suckage in its purest form.

BUT ! HOLY MOTHER BUT! The important thing is THE FUCKING VADOR'S DEMONSTRATION OF POWER ! I was giggling like a little boy all along !
I have a confession to make, as a kid I of course found Vador cool but I was never convince on the fact he was so powerful. Because you never really see it.
Then at the end of Rogue One, there was a nice glimpse in its power. But now ! NOW ! NOW ! This is what I wanted to see !

I mean he's stopping a full spaceship using the Force, then he completely obliterates Reva without using his lightsaber and then he still "gives her chance" in a lightsaber duel where he again dominates like it's nothing.
Fucks the Jedi, I turn to the Dark Side !
Yeah, I can't really get behind this. The Force is no longer interesting. Pulling spaceships out of the air is just stupid, and turning Vader into Superman isn't something I ever wanted to see. The Rogue One scene nailed it for me though.

Also, the training scene between Anakin and Obi Wan was great and the final episode of this series has one of my new favorite scenes in the franchise.

DelireMan7

Yeah, I can't really get behind this. The Force is no longer interesting. Pulling spaceships out of the air is just stupid, and turning Vader into Superman isn't something I ever wanted to see. The Rogue One scene nailed it for me though.

Also, the training scene between Anakin and Obi Wan was great and the final episode of this series has one of my new favorite scenes in the franchise.
I get it. Maybe too much.

For me it's perfect. A weakened Yoda succeed to pull a X wing so Vader in his prime, also being "the chosen one", being able to stop an airship is fine xD

Agreed on the training. Really nice.

What the last scene ? I was still in shock after Vader
And then Reva not being dead to find the communicator that just felt on the floor at this place few scenes before... Bad writing for me

EDIT : I misread your post. You speak about the final Episode. no the final scene of Episode 5 xD

Will see where this stuff with Luke going. I liked the image of Luke in his bed. Got me a bit emotional.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I am done !

I was afraid about the whole "Luke stuff" at the end of Episode 5 mainly because I was scared they touch to much on the continuity with the original Trilogy. But also because they couldn't do something big impacting Luke (because we know his future because "A New Hope"...). So... Yes nothing happened

The chase of Luke by Reva is useless for me. Just filler to make a longer episode. Also they made Luke not seeing her with a for the most time and he's unconscious at the end. Like that it can't acknowledge he was attack by a Sith so it doesn't break continuity... But it makes the whole chase useless. It was just there to "develop" Reva's character to make a her a more important character in a potential Season 2.
I am not enjoying this character and wished she died by Vador's hand in Ep5.

I am conflicted about the Vador vs Kenobi fight. It's a nice fight showing the power of both and how they are somehow on a similar level. Not a huge fan of the "power of the anime" moment where Obi-Wan suddenly becomes and obliterates Vader. But why not.
The thing that bugs me is the end of the fight. Basically Obi-Wan could have kill Vader there. Vader is telling him that Anakin is dead (I'll pass on the "You didn't kill him, it was me"), Obi-Wan accepts it so he could have kill one of the most powerful Sith... But OK it's still his former Padawan.
I would have preferred more of a Status quo where Obi-Wan escape in the middle of the fight (to save Luke like he does just after) or something that stops the fight without a winner.
But I guess they made this choice to echo Vader's statement in ANH
"When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master."

Also we finally got a Imperial March ! It felt good. I guess the idea is before that moment he was still Anakin then after his defeat, he's becoming Vader by assuring the Emperor of his loyalty.
It still doesn't excuse the lack of the original music for me.

Overall I liked the relation between Obi-Wan and Leia. It makes a nice link to ANH where Leia is actively asking for Obi-Wan's help.

Questionable writing, really bad chase scenes with Leia, some annoying characters, lack of original music... But nonetheless nice lightsaber choregraphy and a nice "Star Wars feeling". The writing is questionable several times but it has some good moment.
Overall I enjoyed my time with it (I am not really picky anymore on Star Wars. The "OG Star Wars vibes" are enough for me to enjoy a show like this)

So I am done !

I was afraid about the whole "Luke stuff" at the end of Episode 5 mainly because I was scared they touch to much on the continuity with the original Trilogy. But also because they couldn't do something big impacting Luke (because we know his future because "A New Hope"...). So... Yes nothing happened

The chase of Luke by Reva is useless for me. Just filler to make a longer episode. Also they made Luke not seeing her with a for the most time and he's unconscious at the end. Like that it can't acknowledge he was attack by a Sith so it doesn't break continuity... But it makes the whole chase useless. It was just there to "develop" Reva's character to make a her a more important character in a potential Season 2.
I am not enjoying this character and wished she died by Vador's hand in Ep5.

I am conflicted about the Vador vs Kenobi fight. It's a nice fight showing the power of both and how they are somehow on a similar level. Not a huge fan of the "power of the anime" moment where Obi-Wan suddenly becomes and obliterates Vader. But why not.
The thing that bugs me is the end of the fight. Basically Obi-Wan could have kill Vader there. Vader is telling him that Anakin is dead (I'll pass on the "You didn't kill him, it was me"), Obi-Wan accepts it so he could have kill one of the most powerful Sith... But OK it's still his former Padawan.
I would have preferred more of a Status quo where Obi-Wan escape in the middle of the fight (to save Luke like he does just after) or something that stops the fight without a winner.
But I guess they made this choice to echo Vader's statement in ANH
"When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master."

Also we finally got a Imperial March ! It felt good. I guess the idea is before that moment he was still Anakin then after his defeat, he's becoming Vader by assuring the Emperor of his loyalty.
It still doesn't excuse the lack of the original music for me.

Overall I liked the relation between Obi-Wan and Leia. It makes a nice link to ANH where Leia is actively asking for Obi-Wan's help.

Questionable writing, really bad chase scenes with Leia, some annoying characters, lack of original music... But nonetheless nice lightsaber choregraphy and a nice "Star Wars feeling". The writing is questionable several times but it has some good moment.
Overall I enjoyed my time with it (I am not really picky anymore on Star Wars. The "OG Star Wars vibes" are enough for me to enjoy a show like this)
The fan edit of the series basically removes all of the Reva and other stuff you have issues with, cutting the series down to a 2 hour movie. Since you've seen the series, you might want to check it out for comparison.

The scene I was referring to in my previous post was the final dialogue between Obi and Vader. In a vacuum, it was totally great - I know there are larger issues with the scene but at face value I enjoyed it. I miss Star Wars moments like that.

I don't know if this is worthy of a thread because I can't confirm if this is true or not since this site is not exactly something I've heard of before.

But if it's true, that's great news. The first season was the worst Star Wars series as of yet.

Doczu

I don't know if this is worthy of a thread because I can't confirm if this is true or not since this site is not exactly something I've heard of before.

But if it's true, that's great news. The first season was the worst Star Wars series as of yet.

Well it wasn't great... Good even. Had some good moments (and that's that) but the worst? Eeeehhhh... Book of Bobba is plain awful, they killed his character.

Top Bottom