• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

Alex11

I loved it. When Vader said “I did” my heart kind of sank. It was so sinister and tragic, felt like Mustafar all over again, like every bit of Anakin really is/was gone. Just in general the scenes with Vader in this series are almost terrifying. It was like watching them as a kid and being low key scared of the Vader scenes all over again. And the way he screams Obi-Wan at the end… 😭
That scene was very good and so emotional, it was so well acted, and I liked the play with the colors of the lightsabers on Vader/Anakin`s face as his feelings and emotions were just bouncing inside of him.Such a good scene.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there any logical reason why Reva wanted to kill Luke? She didn't even know he was Vader's son. And if somehow she did, it didn't make any sense whatsoever based on her story arc.

Ironbunny

Is there any logical reason why Reva wanted to kill Luke? She didn't even know he was Vader's son. And if somehow she did, it didn't make any sense whatsoever based on her story arc.
They wanted a minority/bad ass female charecter with a redeeming story arc so they can make a spinoff of her own. The logic to get from A to B didnt matter for the writers.

Ironbunny

Even with the stupid shit this episode was somewhat of a highlight of the series. This could have been a second episode of the series to build from. Drop the middle moronic episodes and explain the story in the pilot and continue from here the flesh out something different.

Last edited:

Alex11

The new filming lightsabers they've been using since TFA are awesome. They're basically like Force FX sabers where they actually have a lighted blade when filming that casts real light on the actors and the blade is then enhanced with CG.
Yeah, they are, it always bugged me in the prequels, the lightsabers not emiting real light on characters.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The new filming lightsabers they've been using since TFA are awesome. They're basically like Force FX sabers where they actually have a lighted blade when filming that casts real light on the actors and the blade is then enhanced with CG.
Having the glow on the characters/environment is definitely something the ST and new shows did right. TFA felt much cooler than it actually is because of that. And it was used to great effect with Vader/Obi-wan’s dialogue in episode 6 here.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why the fuck
did a giant ass star destroyer have trouble killing a small cruiser and then a dropship?
Like what the fuck lol this writing screams laziness.
1. Imperial troopers can't ever hit shit.
AvengerChaseFalcon-ST.jpg

NickFire

Even if I didn’t love the entire series, episode 6 would have still been the coolest hour on tv in years for me.

Last edited:

YCoCg

The last episode was pretty good but also tainted, for all the good the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was, Obi-Wan letting him go felt very, ...what the fuck, especially AFTER he just said that line about Anakin not being there anymore. It's like "Wow, you really are true evil now! ...Well bye! Remember where you parked your ship?" but the moments before that with the smashed up parts Vader with the voice mixing between Anakin and Vader, damn, that was pretty good.

NickFire

The last episode was pretty good but also tainted, for all the good the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was, Obi-Wan letting him go felt very, ...what the fuck, especially AFTER he just said that line about Anakin not being there anymore. It's like "Wow, you really are true evil now! ...Well bye! Remember where you parked your ship?" but the moments before that with the smashed up parts Vader with the voice mixing between Anakin and Vader, damn, that was pretty good.
Sometimes people love someone else to hurt them even if they’ve become really bad is my take on it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

When Obi-Wan ripped Vader's helmet open and saw what was left of Anakin he simply lost all effort to fight. Darth Vader was likewise unable to fight any longer.

It was like tossing roses on the grave of a friend.

sol_bad

Why are people wanting Obi-Wan to be a blood thirsty killer? It makes sense that he didn't kill Vader. Unless needed, Jedi's don't kill people. In defence they do of course but if the opponent is on the ground crippled they won't. Doesn't anyone remember Anakin killing Dooku and how that helped lead him to the dark side?

And to have Vader run off to survive doesn't make sense. It makes far from sense for Obi-Wan to school the shit out of Vader, he is still the master.

YCoCg

When Obi-Wan ripped Vader's helmet open and saw what was left of Anakin he simply lost all effort to fight. Darth Vader was likewise unable to fight any longer.

It was like tossing roses on the grave of a friend.
Why are people wanting Obi-Wan to be a blood thirsty killer? It makes sense that he didn't kill Vader. Unless needed, Jedi's don't kill people. In defence they do of course but if the opponent is on the ground crippled they won't. Doesn't anyone remember Anakin killing Dooku and how that helped lead him to the dark side?

And to have Vader run off to survive doesn't make sense. It makes far from sense for Obi-Wan to school the shit out of Vader, he is still the master.
But the problem with that scene is that pretty much ANYONE Vader kills or the Empire kills/destroys under Vader's orders from that point on is blood on Obi-Wan's hands. He landed on that planet with the intent of one of them dying to "end it now" and even see's how evil has consumed him. As for saying he's not a blood thirsty killer, well he wouldn't be, he saw Vader fuck up a family for funzies in a previous episode, it'd be like in Episode 1 after Qui-Gon gets killed Obi-Wan just turns around and says "well looks like you've won this Maul, I'll be on my way since you're trapped in this room".

Now yeah yeah, I know Vader HAS to survive, but writing it this way that Obi-Wan let him go AFTER the Empire destroying shit for 10 years and Vader still being a huge massive threat just seems like a major flaw in the characters thought process.

Kev Kev

No it hasnt, Bails message mentioned nothing about Luke being Vaders kid.
From what I remember the message was broken up and static but she heard “son” and “tattooine”. Given the circumstances she put it all together.

There may be even more to it than that, but that was enough for me.

HoodWinked

the reason is terrible writing. the "reason" is Reva wants to kill Luke because she states "Justice", meaning she somehow figured out that a random boy on Tatooine was Anakin's son based on "help the boy" from the random holographic communicator. Vader isn't even aware Luke is his son until Episode V.

Also what makes this even more layers of dumb is that Reva had the heel turn in the previous episode and it's revealed she did all this so she could double cross Vader, so she would be morally good but then now she would kill a child? she's traumatized because she witnessed child jedi get slaughtered its baffling why she would then be motivated to kill a child. But remember all of this was setup because she survived a saber to the gut. It's just all so contrived.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But the problem with that scene is that pretty much ANYONE Vader kills or the Empire kills/destroys under Vader's orders from that point on is blood on Obi-Wan's hands. He landed on that planet with the intent of one of them dying to "end it now" and even see's how evil has consumed him. As for saying he's not a blood thirsty killer, well he wouldn't be, he saw Vader fuck up a family for funzies in a previous episode, it'd be like in Episode 1 after Qui-Gon gets killed Obi-Wan just turns around and says "well looks like you've won this Maul, I'll be on my way since you're trapped in this room".

Now yeah yeah, I know Vader HAS to survive, but writing it this way that Obi-Wan let him go AFTER the Empire destroying shit for 10 years and Vader still being a huge massive threat just seems like a major flaw in the characters thought process.
No, the blood is always on their own hands. They’re their own persons responsible for their own acts. Obi-Wan isn’t the puppet master.

pramod

Banned
From what I remember the message was broken up and static but she heard “son” and “tattooine”. Given the circumstances she put it all together.

There may be even more to it than that, but that was enough for me.

Obi-wan -> Bail -> son -> Vader? How would she make the connection?
Wouldn't it make much more sense if she thought it was Obi-wan's son?

Last edited:

Dazrael

Reva’s motivation for going after Luke are nonsensical, she doesn’t even know that Leia is Vader’s daughter let alone a random boy from a galactic backwater being as important as he is.

At best she would think that Luke is connected to Bail in some way but then what kind of revenge would she be seeking? Revenge against Bail and Kenobi? It was just a convenient way to keep Reva in the storyline for her inevitable redemption and somehow shoehorn Luke in there too.

That’s why Obi-Wan is cool with letting her go with the knowledge of Luke’s location, she just doesn’t know how important he is.

Roufianos

I think he lived with 10 years of guilt for thinking he killed Anakin and didn't want to take that burden again now he was free of it.

Could have been more clearly explained though.

Spaceman292

Banned

It's a character trait that's always been there. How many cold blooded executions has Obi commited? Or has any protagonist ever commited in anything?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Obi-wan -> Bail -> son -> Vader? How would she make the connection?
Wouldn't it make much more sense if she thought it was Obi-wan's son?
if you want to look at it that way, sure. i interpreted it as she figured out he was vaders son.

YCoCg

I think he lived with 10 years of guilt for thinking he killed Anakin and didn't want to take that burden again now he was free of it.

Could have been more clearly explained though.
This one makes the most sense thus far, yeah they should've been clearer on it.

BaneIsPain

Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan... Now, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time... A long time.
It's just a decade, mate. Life must be hard with Qui-gon force ghost.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

Dazrael

if you want to look at it that way, sure. i interpreted it as she figured out he was vaders son.
I think it’s more for the audience’s benefit that something should happen to Luke than for Reva to find out who he is.

I always found it bizarre that a kid in hiding should outright use the surname of one of the most famous people in the galaxy. Why wasn’t he renamed Luke Lars or something? You could argue that as Reva knew that Anakin was a Skywalker then someone called Luke Skywalker would be worth looking into. However I can’t imagine Luke being in the Tatooine census so that she could go and look him up that easily.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Leia is in her 20's. Shes a kid here.
Huh? Leia and Luke are 19 in ANH (I'd argue that they are portrayed as being even younger in 1977, more like 17 for Luke, maybe 18-19 for Leia, and were later retconned to being slightly older and twins). By ESB they are 22. So OBW takes place right in the middle of the time gap between ROTS and ANH.

Gp1

Leia is in her 20's. Shes a kid here.

I think it's stated that shes 10 in the series. So 9 years as battle of Yavin is 19 years after Ep.3

One thing that Disney still didn't messed up is the timeline.Waiting anxiously for the new new Disney trilogy to fuck up there too...

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it’s more for the audience’s benefit that something should happen to Luke than for Reva to find out who he is.

I always found it bizarre that a kid in hiding should outright use the surname of one of the most famous people in the galaxy. Why wasn’t he renamed Luke Lars or something? You could argue that as Reva knew that Anakin was a Skywalker then someone called Luke Skywalker would be worth looking into. However I can’t imagine Luke being in the Tatooine census so that she could go and look him up that easily.
I mean, his name is Luke Skywalker, he is living with Anakin's cousin (step-nephew?, whatever), and he is the EXACT RIGHT AGE. If Vader doesn't go after Luke it's because he just didn't give a shit, not because the Empre was somehow totally unable to hire a Dog the Bounty Hunter level PI to find him. Even Leia is pretty easy to figure out, given the connection Bail Organa had with the Jedi and the sudden appearance of a little girl THE EXACT RIGHT AGE with probably very little explanation.

Ionian

I think it's stated that shes 10 in the series. So 9 years as battle of Yavin is 19 years after Ep.3

One thing that Disney still didn't messed up is the timeline.Waiting anxiously for the new new Disney trilogy to fuck up there too...
Fair enough, Had no idea and watched the first as a child. in the 70's.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Vader seemed pretty obsessed with finding Luke from ESB onwards, I imagine he finds out who he is between ANH and ESB. I’m guessing that he just didn’t know about Luke or Leia prior to this. At least Leia had a name change from Skywalker to Organa making the connection even more vague.

Reactions: Gp1

jason10mm

Gold Member
Vader seemed pretty obsessed with finding Luke from ESB onwards, I imagine he finds out who he is between ANH and ESB. I’m guessing that he just didn’t know about Luke or Leia prior to this. At least Leia had a name change from Skywalker to Organa making the connection even more vague.
Thing is, I DON'T NEED TO KNOW exactly how and when Vader discovers this, particularly since its basically something created for ESB, thus ANH will never really jive with Vader being Lukes dad anyway. So I'm fine with just assuming Vader survives the Death Star explosion, goes on a little fact finding trip about that spunky force sensitive pilot who blew it up, perhaps pieces together the kid came from Tatooine with Obi-wan, and finally figures it all out through detective work. Or maybe the Force just tells him. Who cares?

But I suspect this is probably explicitly laid out in a comic or old EU book, and now we will probably see it in OBW season 2 or whatever D+ has after this. Running down all those little dangling plot threads from the OT is just getting tiresome since they almost always strip AWAY interest and mystery, instead of adding to it.

Dazrael

I totally agree. It’s the reason why I’ve never been a fan of prequels or retconning old material, shoehorning something in doesn’t make it better. Lucas was as guilty of this with the prequels just as much as Disney, over explaining takes the mystery away. It’s the reason why the OT was so good as it happens right in the middle of a hypothetical larger story that we don’t need to know about.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know it isn’t canon, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the events in Fallen Order take place in comparison to this show? Is it before or after the Obi Wan series on the timeline?

Doczu

Fair enough, Had no idea and watched the first as a child. in the 70's.
Fuck you're old

And to be on topic: finished it yesterday. It was ok. Few good highlights, rest was servicable. Inquisitors looked like cosplayers (compare to their alien look in Rebels), great to see Obi and Vader.

The final duel in ep 6 andntheir dialogue after it is top tier drama. Nice follow up to their duel on Mustafar.

I give it 3 out of 5 and an extra 0.5 point as i'm a SW nerd

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Thing is, I DON'T NEED TO KNOW exactly how and when Vader discovers this, particularly since its basically something created for ESB, thus ANH will never really jive with Vader being Lukes dad anyway. So I'm fine with just assuming Vader survives the Death Star explosion, goes on a little fact finding trip about that spunky force sensitive pilot who blew it up, perhaps pieces together the kid came from Tatooine with Obi-wan, and finally figures it all out through detective work. Or maybe the Force just tells him. Who cares?

But I suspect this is probably explicitly laid out in a comic or old EU book, and now we will probably see it in OBW season 2 or whatever D+ has after this. Running down all those little dangling plot threads from the OT is just getting tiresome since they almost always strip AWAY interest and mystery, instead of adding to it.
The Emperor told him in ESB.

Top Bottom