• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

Doczu

The Emperor told him in ESB.
In the movie self? Don't remember it, gotta replay it finally.

I remember from the old lore (from a comic book that was canon at the time) that he just interrogated every and each rebel he came across personally to know the name of the pilot that owned the Death Star.

pramod

Banned
In the movie self? Don't remember it, gotta replay it finally.

I remember from the old lore (from a comic book that was canon at the time) that he just interrogated every and each rebel he came across personally to know the name of the pilot that owned the Death Star.
Yeah but this was also a recton by Lucas in the 2004 edition. Originally the emperor just mentions the rebel pilot but not that he is Anakin's son.

Although this retcon has always bothered me, since Vader's reaction was pretty muted, just a mild "how is that possible?". Which made me think maybe he already suspected all along, and the Emperor just confirmed it?

Ionian

Fuck you're old

And to be on topic: finished it yesterday. It was ok. Few good highlights, rest was servicable. Inquisitors looked like cosplayers (compare to their alien look in Rebels), great to see Obi and Vader.

The final duel in ep 6 andntheir dialogue after it is top tier drama. Nice follow up to their duel on Mustafar.

I give it 3 out of 5 and an extra 0.5 point as i'm a SW nerd

Doczu

Yeah but this was also a recton by Lucas in the 2004 edition. Originally the emperor just mentions the rebel pilot but not that he is Anakin's son.

Although this retcon has always bothered me, since Vader's reaction was pretty muted, just a mild "how is that possible?". Which made me think maybe he already suspected all along, and the Emperor just confirmed it?
Just watched the scene on yt. Yeah, now i remember. One of the things in the special edition that i hated.
I really liked how Vader must have known who the pilot was during that scene and just played dumb.

dr_octagon

Banned
possible, latop
is busted
oh no GIF by Star Wars

pramod

Banned
Just watched the scene on yt. Yeah, now i remember. One of the things in the special edition that i hated.
I really liked how Vader must have known who the pilot was during that scene and just played dumb.
Ok so I had to google this myself so what really happened was like you said Vader figured out Luke was his son after the Death Star blew up. (I mean it's not that hard to figure out, when the guy's name is also Skywalker, knows Obi-wan, and is about the right age).

The Emperor figured out it himself too, and that "meeting" they had in ESB was just the Emperor testing Vader to try to feel out his emotions.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Emperor told him in ESB.
Damn, I forgot. Then just apply what I said to the Emperor learning of Luke. Sounds like there is a book explaining when HE knew and could then tell Vader.

So will D+ have Vader know before and he was just playing dumb to the Emperor? Given time, I'm sure will happen. Vader will find out, OBW will make him think it was bad info. Vader will find out AGAIN, OBW will trick him that Luke is dead already. Round and round we go. Stuff like that is the kinda soap opera stuff we gotta deal with in a TV series that's a prequel to something that has a pre-determined outcome. Clone Wars walked that tightrope pretty well TBH but best to not tempt the fates again.

Best to just jump well ahead or behind and start fresh IMHO. Even the Asokha show with probably Thrawn in it will ultimately go nowhere because the ST has none of that stuff.

About the only thing left in SW film canon I would be interested in seeing is WTF these "Knights of Ren" chaps were all about but I have zero faith D+ could make them A. interesting, B. legit threatening, or C. fit in with what little we saw of them in TFA and ROS. I'm not even sure what the end game with Mando is other than be a launch point for other shows at this point.

Lucasarts should just take the 3-4 characters they are most interested in, have them all get frozen in carbonite together in a freak accident, and then be thawed out 500 years in the future with all new characters and a coherent storyline that won't bump into a skywalker EVER. Re-envision the Jedi/Sith dynamic, give the galaxy a new existential threat, and get back to swashbuckling space adventure!

Doczu

The Emperor figured out it himself too, and that "meeting" they had in ESB was just the Emperor testing Vader to try to feel out his emotions.
Canonically (at least before Disney took over) Sidious and Vader were locked in a cold war and Luke sure would be a good asset for both of them.
True Sith dynamic.
Damn, I forgot. Then just apply what I said to the Emperor learning of Luke. Sounds like there is a book explaining when HE knew and could then tell Vader.

So will D+ have Vader know before and he was just playing dumb to the Emperor? Given time, I'm sure will happen. Vader will find out, OBW will make him think it was bad info. Vader will find out AGAIN, OBW will trick him that Luke is dead already. Round and round we go. Stuff like that is the kinda soap opera stuff we gotta deal with in a TV series that's a prequel to something that has a pre-determined outcome. Clone Wars walked that tightrope pretty well TBH but best to not tempt the fates again.

Best to just jump well ahead or behind and start fresh IMHO. Even the Asokha show with probably Thrawn in it will ultimately go nowhere because the ST has none of that stuff.

About the only thing left in SW film canon I would be interested in seeing is WTF these "Knights of Ren" chaps were all about but I have zero faith D+ could make them A. interesting, B. legit threatening, or C. fit in with what little we saw of them in TFA and ROS. I'm not even sure what the end game with Mando is other than be a launch point for other shows at this point.

Lucasarts should just take the 3-4 characters they are most interested in, have them all get frozen in carbonite together in a freak accident, and then be thawed out 500 years in the future with all new characters and a coherent storyline that won't bump into a skywalker EVER. Re-envision the Jedi/Sith dynamic, give the galaxy a new existential threat, and get back to swashbuckling space adventure!

I really, really hope this was just a one season mini series. They shouldn't try to make more of it, cause the more they meddle within the timeframe, the more they can break the continuity of what is left canon.
Had the same discussion with my wife. It's just bad to know who will die, who might die, and who has to live. There is no suspense, no (grand) mystery.
I do hope they will try to make a Vader show. Now that we know Hayden is down to play more Vader and Disney did (surprisingly) the character justice on screen i think they could make it work.

jason10mm

Gold Member
But what would a Vader centric series even be about? Him just running jedi to ground? Constantly riding herd on squabbling backstabbing inquisitors? Unless it is tonally like The Office or Parks and Rec I'm not sure there would be any value.

Vader popping up like a boogey man in Rogue One is ALL I wanna see. Hopefully that's how they use him in Andor, if at all.

I don't want Vader questioning his path, it cheapens the moment with Luke and the Emperor in RoTJ. A Vader series would undoubtedly make him more sympathetic and conflicted. Anakin cemented his choice when he killed a school full of kids.

Last edited:

Catphish

LTTP on this one. Just finished the 2nd episode.

I dunno. I want to like it, and Ewan McGregor is easy to like, but this young Leia is a tough watch.

I know she's just a kid, but fucksake she can't act for shit. Jake Lloyd is more entertaining. And I get they're trying to show the same sass in her that Carrie Fisher had, but it's just not there. It comes off fake as hell.

Also, she's apparently impossible for grown, muscular men to catch, and can leap across rooftop gaps equivalent to the width of a fucking alleyway despite her having about a 12" stride.

Also, Reva is vanilla (chocolate?) as hell. Nothing interesting in her appearance or her delivery. At least the Grand Inquisitor has some character (even if he does just look like Hellraiser without the pins but with a dope set of wireless ear cans and a face tattoo), and he's got those sweet skull grooves, and that other cat is like Space Raiden. But Reva just looks like the checkout girl at Best Buy that got mad at me the other day when I didn't want to join the rewards program.

She could have been a badass. But she ain't. She comes off to me like someone who has zero knowledge or passion for Star Wars but, hey, it's a paying gig.

We'll see where it goes from here, I guess. I'm not paying to watch it, and the episodes are short, so I'll finish it, but...

I dunno. The Mandalorian gave me reason to be hopeful. So far, it's not panning out.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I know I'm gonna to get hate for this but I actually enjoyed The Book of Boba Fett.

Now Obi-Wan Kenobi is the terrible show

I enjoy all of these Disney shows for different reasons, but TBoBF is going to be tough to beat given that wild Luke Skywalker episode. It was madness how they faithfully recreated a 1980's(?) Mark Hamill and the entire episode was supremely well done. It wasn't just fan service, it felt like fan service lovingly crafted by other fans.

Doczu

But what would a Vader centric series even be about? Him just running jedi to ground? Constantly riding herd on squabbling backstabbing inquisitors? Unless it is tonally like The Office or Parks and Rec I'm not sure there would be any value.

Vader popping up like a boogey man in Rogue One is ALL I wanna see. Hopefully that's how they use him in Andor, if at all.

I don't want Vader questioning his path, it cheapens the moment with Luke and the Emperor in RoTJ. A Vader series would undoubtedly make him more sympathetic and conflicted. Anakin cemented his choice when he killed a school full of kids.
Well i'm not saying he should question his way - he has to remain evil. But there is a lot to explore.
As you mentioned - Inquisitors are for hunting Jedi, unless it's a bigger fish then Vader steps in. Vader (in canon and legends) wasn't just a boogeyman to slash and choke. He was on a long path to becoming a true sith - a lot of material to find cool ideas for episodes. His mission to get his lightsaber, quest for knowledge, quest for power and preparing to overthrow the Emperor. It was (and some of it still is) a great expanded take on his character.

You know, he wasn't the powerfull Sith Lord from day 1, surely not after he got sliced and roasted. Unless of coursey Disney assassinated his persona to make him a Mary Sue

Turnt

You know, he wasn't the powerfull Sith Lord from day 1, surely not after he got sliced and roasted. Unless of coursey Disney assassinated his persona to make him a Mary Sue
Darth Vader as a Mary Sue? That term really has lost all meaning.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No kidding.

I don't think Vader really has to grow at all. A akin was already a skilled strategic and tactical commander after 5+ years of The Clone Wars. He was already a fairly powerful jedi. As Vader he now has the full might of the empire at his beck and call.

So he can hunt down isolated jedi, whelm them with firepower, and just finish them off. The inquisitors are mostly scrub level force users and I'm sure Vader would take out any that directly threaten him (we see him do this very thing, albeit poorly, with Reva) before they surpass his skill.

Face it, we only really see anakin/Vader fight a few jedi directly. He loses to Obi-Wan (twice), beats Obi-Wan as an old man, kills dooku, beats Luke, loses to luke, and I'd say the emporer fight is a draw :p Even the emperor barely handles Mace Windu, so it's not like the sith are juggernauts compared to other jedi, they get their rep by picking on the non force weilders that can't fight back.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched episode 4, 5, 6 today.

i liked it when he said the thing...

seriously though that battle with darth was cool as fuck. obi wan kicked his ass. you could still see a little bit of anakin in there when his helmet was broken but when he said he killed anakin then that was it with no hope for him and obi knew it.

the show was a bit ehh but the last episode was really good. not sure i'd want a s2 but if they do it i'll check it out.

Doczu

You... Really took that last sentence from the whole post? I'm not going to write it twice so read below.
No kidding.

I don't think Vader really has to grow at all. A akin was already a skilled strategic and tactical commander after 5+ years of The Clone Wars. He was already a fairly powerful jedi. As Vader he now has the full might of the empire at his beck and call.

He got literally thrown into an old ass suit specifically crafted to keep him in constant pain, he got owned, lost all his limbs and his lightsaber. In old school expanded universe it took him years of training to overcome his weaknesses, to craft his new blade and he used his new access to forbidden scriptures to go on many voyages through the galaxy to learn the way of the Sith.

Now if you just prop him in the armor, give him superpowers from the get go and call it a day then what do you gain as a character?

There is enough lore to make a great series and it doesn't need to be linear: you can jump on the timeline with a few arcs.

Turnt

You... Really took that last sentence from the whole post? I'm not going to write it twice so read below.

He got literally thrown into an old ass suit specifically crafted to keep him in constant pain, he got owned, lost all his limbs and his lightsaber. In old school expanded universe it took him years of training to overcome his weaknesses, to craft his new blade and he used his new access to forbidden scriptures to go on many voyages through the galaxy to learn the way of the Sith.

Now if you just prop him in the armor, give him superpowers from the get go and call it a day then what do you gain as a character?

There is enough lore to make a great series and it doesn't need to be linear: you can jump on the timeline with a few arcs.
The use of Mary Sue is what I was commenting on. You think us not seeing him adapting to the suit means Disney "assassinated his persona" and made him a Mary Sue? Arguably the most iconic villain in cinema history is not a Mary Sue.

Last edited:

Doczu

The use of Mary Sue is what I was commenting on. You think us not seeing him adapting to the suit 't means Disney "assassinated his persona" and made him a Mary Sue? Arguably the most iconic villain in cinema history is not a Mary Sue.
I didn't say they DID assassinate his persona, i was merely stating that i fear they would just go with an OP Vader from the moment he got his mask on. Which would make him a Mary Sue of the Sith. Simple as.

We don't have any material happening just after RotS. All we had is an on screen cameo in RO (where we saw a monstrous killer in black) and his role in Obi, where he was menacing and had a nice character build moment in the last episode.

Turnt

I didn't say they DID assassinate his persona, i was merely stating that i fear they would just go with an OP Vader from the moment he got his mask on. Which would make him a Mary Sue of the Sith. Simple as.

We don't have any material happening just after RotS. All we had is an on screen cameo in RO (where we saw a monstrous killer in black) and his role in Obi, where he was menacing and had a nice character build moment in the last episode.
And I'm saying "a Mary Sue of the Sith" is a ridiculous term.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I enjoyed watching someone of the critical reviews on Youtube of the show. Not because I hated it. I'm not a big enough of a Star Wars fan to care much about whether or not it sucked. But a lot of them were done really humorously.

BlackTron

Who knows what Disney will cherry pick from the old material, but the way old canon went, Darth Vader had hired Boba Fett to hunt down and kill the rebel pilot that destroyed the Death Star. Fett failed, returning only with the pilot's name, Luke Skywalker. At this revelation, Vader knew he had a son and everything changed. He had already chosen to keep this information to himself from Palpatine.

Therefore, during their conversation in ESB, Vader was playing dumb to Palpatine that he hadn't already known. He was already trying to hunt down Luke for the purpose of recruiting him to his cause and killing Palpatine. One Palps found out though, Vader simply continued his task under a new guise.

I think that taking responsibility for Padme's death left a stain on his life and he didn't REALLY want to kill Luke. He'd rather team up. But Luke would literally rather commit suicide than "rule the galaxy as father as son" the same way he pitched it to Padme before. It was this point that Vader became really shaky and set the stage for him to finally go 180 during ROTJ's climax.

Catphish

This show is dumb as hell.

Ep. 4

"Fortress Inquisitorius"

"Fortress". Says it right in the name. It's a fortress. A military stronghold. For the Inquisition, the main baddies (Vader notwithstanding) of the entire series.

And two fucking rebel speeders fly right into the center of it and blow all kinds of shit up without so much as a shot fired in challenge.

Ugh. This shit is weak sauce. McGregor and James Earl Jones are wasted. Disney has no idea wtf they're doing.

pramod

Banned

Ep. 4

"Fortress Inquisitorius"

"Fortress". Says it right in the name. It's a fortress. A military stronghold. For the Inquisition, the main baddies (Vader notwithstanding) of the entire series.

And two fucking rebel speeders fly right into the center of it and blow all kinds of shit up without so much as a shot fired in challenge.

Ugh. This shit is weak sauce. McGregor and James Earl Jones are wasted. Disney has no idea wtf they're doing.
Yeah after watching this, I don't know why anyone needs to fear the Empire.

All you need to defeat the Empire are:
Fire
Really fast transports
Thick doors
Learn how to bitch slap a Stormtrooper on the head.

Also the Empire seems to have forgotten that they have Tie Fighters. Or was the budget just too low to afford them?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Ep. 4

"Fortress Inquisitorius"

You mention that but not the trench coat scene? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Neolombax

Wtf, this made me snort out loud. Overall, I thought Obi Wan is a weak show. I wished they had really put the spotlight on Obi Wan and Vader only. The side characters were not fun to watch and their sub plots really uninteresting. The force power Obi Wan used at the end? I really didn't like that.
If the Jedi knew they could do those things, why not levitate hundreds of lightsabers instead, and just slice and stab everything ala senbonzakura kageyoshi .wth man.

Ulysses 31

The force power Obi Wan used at the end? I really didn't like that.
If the Jedi knew they could do those things, why not levitate hundreds of lightsabers instead, and just slice and stab everything ala senbonzakura kageyoshi .wth man.
You shouldn't be happy with Vader's force power in ep5 either because now there's several moments in the OT where he could've used it to stop fleeing ships.

Last edited:

Catphish

Ok, ep5.

Leia's a 10-yr-old electrical engineer. Nice.

Reva and Obi-Wan are having a pleasant whispering conversation through a reinforced steel door than couldn't be penetrated with multiple shots from a heavy gun. Nice.

Reva and Obi-Wan openly talking treason and Vadercide while 3 feet away from other stormtroopers. Nice.

A restraining bolt on Lola apparently enables it to isolate and modify the wiring to a landing bay door of type and location completely unknown when the restraining bolt was placed. Nice.

Vader will kill anyone force sensitive, but apparently not the one who attempted to FUCKING KILL HIM. No, he'll just leave that one "in the gutter". Nice.

Fuck this show. Why am I doing this to myself?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, there is definitely some production fuckery afoot. I'd LOVE to know why they made the choices they did. If they want Vader there with Star Destroyer, why then write an attack with like 3 squads of stormtroopers, no air cover, and a simple DOOR is all that stands between lightsaber wielding opponents? Hell, the FIRST thing Qui-gon and Obi-wan do in TPM is cut through such a door!

It's painfully clear the original script called for some big set piece battles that were kept in the TV script but downsized considerably. But they still needed the characters there so now you have Vader in a big ass ship pushing around the 10 denizens of some scrub town or unable to destroy a single light freighter that seems to be mostly empty space inside. Why they seem to think that all capital ships have only 1 space speed setting is beyond me, I blame TLJ for this bizarre trend.

Fbh

The finale was pretty good. Easily the best chapter, the fight was nice and the emotional exchange between Obi Wan and Vader at the end was the sort of thing I wanted from the show.

The show itself was pretty mediocre IMO. Too much focus on an annoying young Leia (and I still think it makes no sense she had such an extended experience with Obi Wan), Reva was terrible and felt like she was only added so they could have another character for potential spinoff material. And overall the whole thing was full of terrible writing and dumb scenes.

The people in charge of this clearly had a few key scenes in mind but then struggled to turn those into a an actual show.

Catphish

The finale was pretty good. Easily the best chapter, the fight was nice and the emotional exchange between Obi Wan and Vader at the end was the sort of thing I wanted from the show.

The show itself was pretty mediocre IMO. Too much focus on an annoying young Leia (and I still think it makes no sense she had such an extended experience with Obi Wan), Reva was terrible and felt like she was only added so they could have another character for potential spinoff material. And overall the whole thing was full of terrible writing and dumb scenes.

The people in charge of this clearly had a few key scenes in mind but then struggled to turn those into a an actual show.
Agreed. Just finished the finale. Easily the best episode of the 6.

But it doesn't undo the utter shite of the previous 5 episodes, much like how the Darth Maul finale doesn't undo the rest of the Cringe Craptacular that is Episode I.

Now that Reva is a good guy, maybe the role will better fit the actress. Cuz she was plain garbage as a bad guy.

All in all, 5/10, with 3 of those points coming from ep.6.

Top Bottom