• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

If you look at what Critical Drinker says about Kenobi I think it's bang on the money:
  1. Telling a story that didn't need to be told
  2. Creating plotholes and inconsistencies with the original movies
  3. Sacrificing a good character in the process.
In the show Kenobi is weak, indecisive, gullible, fails to anticipate obvious traps and dangers, is afraid of enemies he's already defeated (the embarrassing running away scene lol), abandons his role as protector of Luke, makes choices that abandon logic, defers to people less knowledgeable and experienced, and acts like a different person to the films.

Instead of crafting a story consistent with his character, the writers altered his character to fit the story they wanted to tell.

People will zero in on the woke criticisms, and ignore the biggest issue with Kenobi - the writing is atrocious and there are scenes which are downright embarrassing and look like parody (hiding Leia under his coat ffs). And that's before we get to some of the acting and effects.
I think Kenobi would have worked as a standalone movie. We didn't need 6 episodes

Laptop1991

I watched this recently, i wasn't impressed with the writing, some good moments but too much focus on Leia and Reva and things happening that didn't make sense, thought the Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett were better.

Gp1

Drinker

I love how clearly they absolutely do not give a single shit about the Star Wars universe anymore. This is precisely the correct attitude to have to the vapid shitshow Disney have made of it.

After TLJ, who gives?
No one cares anymore.

Turnt

If you look at what Critical Drinker says about Kenobi I think it's bang on the money:
In the show Kenobi is weak, indecisive, gullible, fails to anticipate obvious traps and dangers, is afraid of enemies he's already defeated (the embarrassing running away scene lol), abandons his role as protector of Luke, makes choices that abandon logic, defers to people less knowledgeable and experienced, and acts like a different person to the films.

Instead of crafting a story consistent with his character, the writers altered his character to fit the story they wanted to tell.

People will zero in on the woke criticisms, and ignore the biggest issue with Kenobi - the writing is atrocious and there are scenes which are downright embarrassing and look like parody (hiding Leia under his coat ffs). And that's before we get to some of the acting and effects.
So were those three points things you hadn’t considered about the show before you watched his video?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
So were those three points things you hadn’t considered about the show before you watched his video?
It's an accurate summary of the show, and I posted it as a response to show that not all YouTube commentary is woke/unwoke criticism, designed to tell people what they want to hear.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You know I love the RLM crew and don’t disagree with much of any of their criticisms, they’re especially spot on in how this could’ve been much better if structured better. But one thing I don’t have a problem with regarding force powers:

-there is consistency in its inconsistency, meaning the force user’s connection varies wildly through their emotional state. Even in this series we have Obi-Wan essentially dx’d from his force powers to completely regaining them, to being an older man in Episode IV. Vader himself goes from being the OG to being rather old and slow. Yoda appears to struggle to lift the X-Wing when we’ve seen him flipping around like a lunatic. It’s consistent that their connection to the force varies.

-I also think of a line in Fellowship of the Ring, can’t remember exactly what it says, but Gandalf says he’s basically spent. I think these space wizards get exhausted just like the wizards in these fantasy novels. So Vader ripping the ship down out of the air and tearing the hull apart, but not doing the same thing to the non-decoy, or the millennium falcon, doesn’t really strike me as inconsistent. If you’re going all out thinking you have to do a hundred pushups so you give everything just to get to that milestone, then see oh shit now I got to do a hundred more? You might not have it in the tank.

Last edited:

Turnt

It's an accurate summary of the show, and I posted it as a response to show that not all YouTube commentary is woke/unwoke criticism, designed to tell people what they want to hear.
So that video was meant to illustrate the high level of criticism available on YouTube?

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

In fact I feel the same way about kenobi. Its played pretty straight theres nothing "woke" about the show at all. Reva being a black woman is inconsequential in the plot; she could've been any race or even another species. Thats the best kind of representation to me, one that is simply a black CHARACTER not a BLACK character.
The problem is because she is a black character they are not going to do certain things with her.

When I discovered she was the only black character in the show at the beginning, besides perhaps random aliens with makeup etc I knew she was going to turn good at the end.

Disney are not going to have the only black character in the show appear evil or foolish or silly etc.

Hezekiah

Banned
So that video was mean to illustrate the high level of criticism available on YouTube?
That question doesn't make sense, but I think it neatly summarises most of the problems with Kenobi.

Sounds like it has triggered you though.

Last edited:

Turnt

That question doesn't make sense, but I think it neatly summarises most of the problems with Kenobi.

Sounds like it has triggered you though.
That should have said “meant to illustrate.” Sorry, I wrote that when half asleep. So you do think his videos are insightful? You learn things from them that you hadn't otherwise considered?

How does it sound as if I’m triggered?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Disney made Star Wars irrelevant.

They certainly turned it from one of our best modern myths, into a vacuous shadow of its former self, that retains none of the original trilogy's appeal or sense of 'specialness'. Lucas started the process of demystifying and destroying his own creation with the prequels, but then he sold it to the worst people imaginable, who have accelerated the decline greatly.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They certainly turned it from one of our best modern myths, into a vacuous shadow of its former self, that retains none of the original trilogy's appeal or sense of 'specialness'. Lucas started the process of demystifying and destroying his own creation with the prequels, but then he sold it to the worst people imaginable, who have accelerated the decline greatly.
What did Lucas call them..."The white slavers" and he was correct.

Oberstein

That's dirty, Obi-Wan.

Xgk4Qyz.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Uh.............You saw how they treated Finn right?
Never assume intentional malice when straight incompetence will suffice.

Finn done dirty was just from sheer writers ineptitude, nothing more. What could have been one of the best characters in Star Wars and a great moral center for the ST being turned into a fetch errand joke player has nothing to do with the actors race and everything to do with the entire production team and management being absolute morons.

I would be 100% down with a show about Finn, Poe, and BB-8 on a ship that has a hyperspace accident putting them far out beyond the Galactic Rim, in totally unexplored territory, and they gotta work their way back. New planet each week, solving problems through buddy cop comedic gold :p

Never assume intentional malice when straight incompetence will suffice.

Finn done dirty was just from sheer writers ineptitude, nothing more. What could have been one of the best characters in Star Wars and a great moral center for the ST being turned into a fetch errand joke player has nothing to do with the actors race and everything to do with the entire production team and management being absolute morons.

I would be 100% down with a show about Finn, Poe, and BB-8 on a ship that has a hyperspace accident putting them far out beyond the Galactic Rim, in totally unexplored territory, and they gotta work their way back. New planet each week, solving problems through buddy cop comedic gold :p
I'm not assuming anything. Editing him out of the Chinese marketing posters is intentional malice to me. Also, Boyega has given interviews about the treatment of his character that I interpreted as intentionally malicious.

Well he didn't look foolish or silly. They just made stupid decisions with his character in an attempt to phase him out cause of China.
Did you forget the scene where he was half naked stumbling around in that bubble suit? Or when he gets tasered by Rose Tico? I could go on and on but I don't want to continue to derail this.

Hezekiah

Banned
That should have said “meant to illustrate.” Sorry, I wrote that when half asleep. So you do think his videos are insightful? You learn things from them that you hadn't otherwise considered?

How does it sound as if I’m triggered?
Yep, very insightful. Subscribed to his channel years ago.

Was just another shit Disney cash in telling a story that didn't need to be told and another excuse to get Vader on screen.

Not including all the comic and animation shit, obi won has proven to be a jobber on the big screen. Duku easily handled him twice, yet some how can beat Vader.

When Vader is pulling ships back to a planet for fun. That rock throwing was comical.

Toons

The problem is because she is a black character they are not going to do certain things with her.

When I discovered she was the only black character in the show at the beginning, besides perhaps random aliens with makeup etc I knew she was going to turn good at the end.

Disney are not going to have the only black character in the show appear evil or foolish or silly etc.

Uhhhhh theres been plenty of black villains under Disney lol

Besides they made her appear extremely foolish in that Vader fight.

Last edited:

Toons

Disney just took star wars to its natural eventuality faster than it would've gotten without them

It was always going to be this, either this, or fade into obscurity. It created the blockbuster franchise with endless tie ins and spin offs before that was even a thing back in the 80s.

Ewok movies, cartoons, holiday specials, toys, clothes, lunchboxes. Its been nothing more than easily consumable wide appealing, heavily merchandised spectacle since the moment those BO numbers came in for the first movie.

If that didn't happen, we'd not be here discussing this, and none of us would ever have any fond memories with this franchise as a kid. At some point you need to just accept that those memories can still hold value even if you don't like the newer stuff. Because the movies will come and go, but me battling my little brother with a plastic lightsaber in our living room will be with me for good.

And kids today will have similar memories, and a much larger pool of things to pull from in that regard. My 11 year olde cousin will remember playing kylo ren in a video game, or seeing Boba fett shoot guys on TV. I think Disney just made it so it was undeniable that this franchise isn't owned by one generation, and a lot of people werent/aren't willing to accept that yet.

I'm ok with that. And I can enjoy most of the newer stuff too anyways.

Last edited:

Catphish

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this is the end of Star Wars for me. Kenobi all but proved that Disney is utterly inept with its multi-billion-dollar IP.

I'll keep Rogue One and the OT, the rest can fuck off.

I think Disney just made it so it was undeniable that this franchise isn't owned by one generation, and a lot of people werent/aren't willing to accept that yet.

I'm ok with that. And I can enjoy most of the newer stuff too anyways.
People just want their favorite franchise to have good content, not sure why anyone should accept bad product. If the content is bad, at least have it stand on its own rather than involve legacy characters and stories from previous generations.

The best thing Disney produced is The Mandalorian, a largely original story with brand new characters. The High Republic is bad, but people don't really care because it stands on its own. The stuff Disney has produced which people actively hate involves beloved legacy characters and stories.

Toons

People just want their favorite franchise to have good content, not sure why anyone should accept bad product. If the content is bad, at least have it stand on its own rather than involve legacy characters and stories from previous generations.

The best thing Disney produced is The Mandalorian, a largely original story with brand new characters. The High Republic is bad, but people don't really care because it stands on its own. The stuff Disney has produced which people actively hate involves beloved legacy characters and stories.

But.... none of their stuff have gotten completely bad reception. Its been at worst, highly controversial. Theres been nothing that has come out where literally everyone hates it. And even the stuff people do hate they usually hate because of reasons pertaining to the characters from "their" iteration of star wars.

I grew up with the prequels first but I much prefer the st to them. I loved the OT as well so I never felt more attached to one thing than the other. I just love all of star wars.

But most ive discussed kenovi with liked it for example. The only people in seeing that don't like it actually are hardcore star wars fans.

Batiman

Banned
Did you forget the scene where he was half naked stumbling around in that bubble suit? Or when he gets tasered by Rose Tico? I could go on and on but I don't want to continue to derail this.
Lol that’s “foolish” to you?

Han was foolish, but a badass

Last edited:
But.... none of their stuff have gotten completely bad reception. Its been at worst, highly controversial. Theres been nothing that has come out where literally everyone hates it. And even the stuff people do hate they usually hate because of reasons pertaining to the characters from "their" iteration of star wars.

I grew up with the prequels first but I much prefer the st to them. I loved the OT as well so I never felt more attached to one thing than the other. I just love all of star wars.

But most ive discussed kenovi with liked it for example. The only people in seeing that don't like it actually are hardcore star wars fans.
If you're right and the majority of people are happy with current Star Wars that's great. It means the franchise is making money, we'll have more stories to come which increases the chance we'll get another fantastic era of content like The Old Republic stuff.

Mistake

Most normies are oblivious to all the crap Kathleen Kennedy keeps putting in star wars. A real shame too, because a lot of her earlier work was good. Not sure when she went off the deep end

BouncyFrag

Link to a 2.5 hour edit of the entire series. It cuts out all the filler and adds a few new lines here and there. The final fight is completely free of the Riva intrusive cuts and rescored with the fight music from ROTS. I could have done w/o the older soundtrack. I liked the Kenobi music just fine.

This is a much better watch than the entire series and highly recommend.

Last edited:
Link to a 2.5 hour edit of the entire series. It cuts out all the filler and adds a few new lines here and there. The final fight is completely free of the Riva intrusive cuts and rescored with the fight music from ROTS. I could have done w/o the older soundtrack. I liked the Kenobi music just fine.

I'm like halfway through. This is pretty good, all things considered.

It’s got poor reviews on imdb and RT though so many your sample size wasn’t big enough?

Romulus

Sounds decent actually.

DelireMan7

So I am on Episode 3.

I find it "ok". Basically Leia and Reva are the most annoying for me.

I get why they decided to go with a "rebel" and "smart" Leia but she leans to much on the brat side. Also the pursuit scenes are hilarious. The first one in the "forest" where the bad guy can't pass over tiny branches is hilarious.
The one on the rooftop is also quite funny. She have such a weird way to "run" (she kind of run without bending the knees xD) but nobody (not even a master Jedi) can catch her...

Then Reva... Actually I don't know of her "always angry" side or the conflict with the other inquisitors than annoy me. She's just angry all the time, for unknown reasons, and the others don't like it. It removes any fear the inquisitors should inspired for me.
And I don't know why but I have the feeling she will turn to the good side at one point (to die moments later I guess).

Also there is a weird "tension" to avoid fight scenes I have the feeling. Each time it looks like a fight will start and suddenly something happen to avoid it. (Like Reva vs Kenobi in episode 2... The master inquisitor arrives, argues with Reva and Kenobi can just escape... I mean they both know Kenobi is there, one of the most research Jedi, and they decide to argue instead of fighting him...)

But the worst offender is the music ! Why not using the classic Star Wars theme ?. Overall I enjoy the show and visually it feels like a Star Wars (unlike Solo...). I have good vibes about it but the music really break the immersion. It doesn't sound Star wars. In Episode 3 there is a classic "Imperial March" moment but they use another martial theme with a motif that vaguely sounds like the Imperial March. To this point I guess it's a right issue but man...

Despite the flaws, I enjoy it especially the visuals. I hope for some nice lightsaber action at some point (The opening scene was incredible in my opinion but since then not so much happened on this side...). I have to mourn the classic music I guess..

Soodanim

Gold Member
I watched all of the show over two days about a week ago. I avoided as much as possible before going in. The only things I've seen are that there are mixed opinions and a few video thumbnails. My opinions are as unswayed as can be.

Here's some brief thoughts on the series:
Not particularly engaging for the most part, the action is the only thing that made me pay attention because the rest is 0 stakes. That was almost always going to be the case when telling a new story in between stories - nothing of consequence can happen.

Almost everything involving Leia is weak. Her kidnap chase scene was the first big clue that this wasn't going to be fantastic, given the combination of low effort chasing and easily defeated chasers. If you can't convincingly make it long, don't make it long.

Even worse than that is any dialogue Leia gets. "Aww look how precocious she is, she's 10 but has the intelligence of an adult" seems to be the entire character description. I don't care if it's a universe with the force and lightsabers, the humans character elements need to be grounded for it to be a decent story. This didn't have that. You also don't get to do that then drop all sense of wisdom and maturity to set up another bad chase scene, it was nothing more than a contrived way to get Obi Wan to use the force.

I don't remember much at all of the side characters, aside from the black Sith character whose name I don't even remember. Didn't much care about her story, saw the twist coming, didn't get what the point of surviving through the sheer force of hatred to go find Luke was, and again there was absolutely 0 stakes there. "oH nO lUkE cOuLd Be KiLlEd"... yeah okay, sure, get to the ending please.

Ultimately the series makes absolutely no difference now that it exists, so my question is: why did they bother? They could have told an Obi Wan story that didn't involve the twins and given people a reason to wonder what comes next, instead of a story that was neither new like 4-6 nor an origin story like 1-3.

If I'd just watched that final fight scene then gone on to the meme at the end for a quick laugh, I'd have been content. Someone on this page said it would have been better as a movie, and they're right.

Edit:
CALLED IT! 🤣

Perfect. I'd forgotten about how many stupid things happen

Another edit:
Leia gets an outfit and decides that's what shes going to wear forever now. Makes perfect sense.

I keep remembering stupid shit this show did.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

1. Didn't need to be told according to who? Plenty of people (like myself) enjoyed the show for what it was. It was a fun romp with plenty of cheesy callbacks and the usual Star Wars fan service. It was the usual blueprint for what makes Star Wars popular in the first place.

2. Who cares? The original movies are over 40 years in the past. They are not sacrosanct. It is okay if the modern vision of the IP outgrows and moves on from the OT. Only pedantic super fans are going care about inconsistencies between a brand new show and 3 movies were released decades ago. As long as they don't straight up erase the original premise or its characters in its entirety I see no issue.

3. Kenobi has always been a flawed and complicated character going back as far as the Original Trilogy. You don't go from being one of the most famous and powerful Jedi of your time to being a hermit in the middle of nowhere without there being some conflict, some doubts, and some trauma. Especially when you look at it from the viewpoint of someone who lost everyone and everything they ever held dear in a single moment of ultimate betrayal by someone who was basically a son to you. As a result of that betrayal Obi-Wan lost all his friends, his mentors, and the whole galaxy was plunged into evil and chaos. Kenobi is not a robot. Of course he will have a bit of shellshock. of course he will not be the man he was before. Of course he is going to have problems going straight back into service after all of that. He went years without even trying to use the force. Never practicing. Never even trying. So to go from that to full on combat mode of course there will be rust on his part. He also did not want to bring attention to himself so he was actively trying to avoid using it at the beginning to not draw attention to himself. So complaining about that part is just dumb to me.

The rest?

- Abandoning the protection of Luke? The shows makes a point to show that he also has at least SOME moral responsibility to the girl as well as the boy which most people would agree. Guarding one 24/7 and not caring that the other was just taken by the empire would make literally no sense at all from a character that we know to be intelligent and caring. Especially when one has been safe for years without issue, the father telling Kenobi to leave them alone, and then Leia gets kidnapped. There is a clear priority here and its not to sit in a cave in a desert.

- Complaining about Leia being under his cloak? Have you ever even seen a Star Wars film? Because that is by far the dumbest criticism I have seen so far about Kenobi. The writing for Kenobi is not perfect. I have my own complaints about the writing and some of the casting. However literally EVERY Star wars film has had cheesy one liners, jokes, and general campy nonsense. It is one of the defining features of the IP. Its NOT serious 100% of the time. There is always a bit of levity to balance out the seriousness. Going all the way back to the OT, the prequels, the latest movies, and even stuff like the Mandalorian.

Watching a Star wars product and complaining about gags, campy nonsense, or visual jokes is like jumping into the ocean and being mad that you got wet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom