• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Objectively good games that were disappointing due to context?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
anyways uhhhh Sonic Mania
my standards for 2d sonic games were increased since i had played one too many fangames, and recycling the same stages from the classics (with only a few new additions) was just not it. especially when sonic time twisted & spark the electric came out the same year and were far more original games overall. it's a good game, purely because the animation, visuals, gameplay and music were great, but if i wanted a trip down memory lane i'd play generations (which came out 6 years before) instead

BigBeauford

JFC, 6 pages of neckbeards arguing over the word objective. Most sane people understand the intent.

Super Mario Odyssey is my answer. I found the lack of challenge took enough shine off the package to where I put it down and played Mario 3D Allstars instead. Had I not enjoyed the challenge of previous Mario games, I'd probably feel different.

Last edited:
Trying to think what I can add to this great topic idea. Best I can come up with is RE4 (retroactively) since the VR version came out

I loved the game. The VR version destroyed it to me. No desire to replay the pancake version again. Until it's remade. Even then, a VR mod might replace it again.

BlackTron

you got oot 2, it's called majora's mask and it transcends the zelda series

To better frame what I'm getting at -Link's Awakening is one of my favorite Zelda titles, but to me it was a sort of side game to LttP, not THE NEXT ZELDA. If you see LttP as "Zelda 2" and OOT as "Zelda 3". Other games such as the real (RPG) Zelda II and Link's Awakening sit between the gaps. MM is one of those games, in fact its working title was Zelda Gaiden. Regardless of quality, it's not really OOT II -it's more like OOT, again.

Wind Waker isn't some massive failure of a game but I don't think it succeeded as a follow-up to OOT on a new game system. I see Twilight Princess as the true sequel to OOT. Even though regrettably, I didn't like the game, it was much more a successful at this role. I realize now what's more important is a graphics style everyone can get behind and the image of Link riding on horseback -the game itself can be meandering but it won't matter for commercial success.

TP could have been pretty insane if they just removed Wolf Link entirely and used all the effort they put into double-dipping areas with scavenger hunts to make the normal world more interesting instead. The dungeons are pretty good but they're just separated by too much mind-numbing cruft.

Just talking about this has me imagining a GaaS Zelda game where new dungeons, shrines and temples are added, maybe even ones from past games. I know GaaS is the devil but this is basically what they tried to do on SNES with the satellite service.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just talking about this has me imagining a GaaS Zelda game where new dungeons, shrines and temples are added, maybe even ones from past games. I know GaaS is the devil but this is basically what they tried to do on SNES with the satellite service.
That's not games as a service that's just a game that's reguarly updated with new content. GaaS is so much more (and much worse) than just frequent updates and expansions

Top Bottom