• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion and the Elder Scrolls World

DarkCloud

Don't forget Scamps, Cliff Racers, Mudcrabs, cli*shot!*

...what were the names of those fire creatures? I actually enjoyed the change of pace by fighting them.

Oh this is absolutely hilarious. akascream is having a cry over absolutely nothing. The warp thing is a great feature and as it's optional, there is now ay anyone could possibly whinge about it.

akascream said:
Except the vastness of the world is this series' strength. I guess we are left with graphics now heh. Maybe we'll get lucky and the combat system will be worth a damn.
Maybe we'll get lucky and a piano will fall on your head and, through your final earthly request, your family will be forced to carry your coffin from the funeral home to the cemetary instead of using one of those insouciant warp hearses.

MaddenNFL64

Yep, the back story is very fleshed out. Sad thing is, I knew most of the info Hitler Stole My Potato wrote. :p

Actually, maybe I should be proud?

Nah.

Anyway, since this game begins at the end of the 3rd era (Uriel Septim VII dies at the beginning), the death of Dagoth Ur, Sotha Sil, and Almalexia (except Vivec, unless you killed him for his soul ;) ), are still pretty fresh, even if no one on Morrowind believed the Tribunal were dead :p. Hopefully we'll get alot of references in books, and discussion from the locals on that stuff.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
So, no PS3 version?

The way that Bethesda has been answering questions regarding this makes me think they are seriously considering making a port for PS3 at a later date, but it isn't in the cards right now. That said, there's no way I would wait for a PS3 version, so it doesn't concern me too much.

I also cannot understand akascream's dislike of the fast travel feature -- as others have said, it was in the first 2 games and you don't need to use it if you don't want to. I loved Morrowind, and when I had to walk all the way across a continent, I did - that said, I would have much rather spent time actually exploring ruins or fighting monsters than walking the same path back and forth over and over again. When I want to explore somewhere, I will. If I just want to get to another town to complete a quest, it's great to have the option. I don't really see how anyone could be angry about that. Hell, if he's angry about how weaksauce this new travel option is, he must hate the new journal system that organizes it logically so that you can easily navigate it to find quests because it's not as "real" as the system from Morrowind where you had to read back though dozens and dozens of pages to find the appropriate entries if you didn't complete a quest right away.

Anyway, that's enough of that. Thanks for the post Hitler Stole My Potato -- I'm going to read through all the backstory at work :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
They're already hyping it as "The Best RPG Ever Made"? Oh, please... look at what happened with Fable.

EDIT: Not that the game doesn't look nice, or anything. It looks really good, and it sounds good, especially the part about cutting back on the whole wandering around aimlessly that really turns me off to these kinds of games. It's just, I'm sick of hearing pie in the sky claims all the time.

epmode

djtiesto said:
Not that the game doesn't look nice, or anything. It looks really good, and it sounds good, especially the part about cutting back on the whole wandering around aimlessly that really turns me off to these kinds of games. It's just, I'm sick of hearing pie in the sky claims all the time.
Believe.

Nameless

Between the Mage's Guilds' teleporters, those bug things you could ride(played the game for 80+hours and don't remember what they're called) the boat guides, and the mark/recall spells one could easily do what they ahd to do in Morrowind without taking extremely long hikes.

Thats not to say the game didn't promote exploration, nothing could possibly be further from the truth. But when a quests calls for you to travel half way across the map, you really don't want to have to make a 40minute round trip. But exploring the world was the best part of Morrowind, for those like me, who outside of quests just loved to explore the worlds looking for caverns, daedra shrines etc.. etc.. there was more than enough room for exploration, and I expect Oblivion to be similar.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
akascream said:
Aww shit.

Fuck. This sounds just like how WoW and EQ2 dumbed down the MMO genre. Now we get to pander to morons for single player rpgs too.

Damn. I think they just killed my interest entirely.

Why not just do horses, or boats and shit. Give the player a big carrot that will make travel a bit faster. Not some warping minimap bullshit.

If their history means anything I am sure you will be able to travel by foot if you want to; and I heard their will be horses as well. Daggerfall and Arena had this option as well, but of course both of those games weren't as detailed as Morrowind...

akascream

Banned
Blackace said:
If their history means anything I am sure you will be able to travel by foot if you want to; and I heard their will be horses as well. Daggerfall and Arena had this option as well, but of course both of those games weren't as detailed as Morrowind...

Yeah, I just hate having the option to warp. Being very deep in some dank dungeon loses it's charm and sense of danger if at any moment I can just star trek my ass out of there. And if I am in enough trouble, I know I will...instead of hunkering down. Some of it is difficulty, and some of it is a timesink/tedium, but without the lows, you don't get the highs. You just lose the scope of your game completely when you introduce shortcuts, whether the most disciplined of players can ignore that they exist or not. And it's disheartening to see more and more developers really cheapen the whole experience.

At the very least there should be an option when you create your character that allows you to completely disable this stuff. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement.

Blackace

akascream said:
Yeah, I just hate having the option to warp. Being very deep in some dank dungeon loses it's charm and sense of danger if at any moment I can just star trek my ass out of there. And if I am in enough trouble, I know I will...instead of hunkering down. Some of it is difficulty, and some of it is a timesink/tedium, but without the lows, you don't get the highs. You just lose the scope of your game completely when you introduce shortcuts, whether the most disciplined of players can ignore that they exist or not. And it's disheartening to see more and more developers really cheapen the whole experience.

At the very least there should be an option when you create your character that allows you to completely disable this stuff. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement.

I don't think they mean out of dungeons... just on the "world" map.. and if they do it anything like before there were random encounters as well..

akascream

Banned
Blackace said:
I don't think they mean out of dungeons... just on the "world" map.. and if they do it anything like before there were random encounters as well..

That's a good point, maybe at least dungeons will have some integrity. Which makes me wonder if they will load seperately like Morrowind. Is this game going to be streamed, or semi streamed (aka morrowind) with load times for indoors?

Blackace

Slo said:
Jesus fucking christ.

You rang?

BuddyChrist.jpg

Blackace

Slo said:
Jesus, is warping a sin?

Only if done in the wrong context my son... like in Super Mario Brothers...

buddychrist.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
akascream said:
Some of it is difficulty, and some of it is a timesink/tedium, but without the lows, you don't get the highs. You just lose the scope of your game completely when you introduce shortcuts, whether the most disciplined of players can ignore that they exist or not. And it's disheartening to see more and more developers really cheapen the whole experience.

Teleportation in dungeons would suck...though a transport system that worked more like what Daggerfall had would be ideal IMO...(when out in wilderness, you can choose to traverse distances automatically, though not without time flying by in the background...allowing the gamer to also choose more dangerous (and faster) routes and travel/camping methods before they go

IJoel

More LOVE for Oblivion!

I can't wait for it. It's one of my most, if not THE MOST, anticipated games this year.

Bethesda, MAKE IT HAPPEN! GIMME OBLIVION ON 2005!

PhatSaqs

Banned
I might have to pick this up a couple of months after launch as i'm afraid it'll suck away time from all other games just as Morrowind did.

djtiesto said:
They're already hyping it as "The Best RPG Ever Made"? Oh, please... look at what happened with Fable.

No one at Bethesda said that this will be "the best RPG eva", that was a quote taken from Daily Game's hands on preview. Big difference.

Reading about Tamriel and rereading the Daggerfall books has put me in a mood for The Elder Scrolls games. The Real Berenziah is an awesome read. I spent more time on the Daggerfall demo than on many full games, but I never actaully got the full version. I guess I'll have to play some Morrowind.

Zaptruder

Banned
akascream said:
That's a good point, maybe at least dungeons will have some integrity. Which makes me wonder if they will load seperately like Morrowind. Is this game going to be streamed, or semi streamed (aka morrowind) with load times for indoors?

You realise your bitching is akin to hating a sports car because it includes a CD player, and you hate the fact that you can't control yourself you have to turn it on, and thus can't savour the sound of the engine while driving... right?

Go end yourself. Please.

jimbo

Banned
I thought Elder Scrolls was sooo boring at times. But I love riding horses in games. I'll have to give this a try. Sounds like they are making an effort to cut out on the time consuming, boring stuff.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I also must give props to the updated skill development system, I am playing morrowind again on Xbox right now and there are always skills you don’t use that you picked. My character was originally going to be more a Fighter/Theif but has ended up as a charismatic Knight of the Imperial Legion (who has the best quests in the game IMO).

You generally don’t know what skills you will happen to need at the character creation screen.

Razoric said:
The problem is you are mixing challenge with time sinks. It's not challenging to travel on foot from one town / dungeon to another, but it does suck up a lot of time. That is the problem with some games attempting to be too real, the fun slowly leaks out of them. How fun is it really to travel back and forth, over and over, wasting hours upon hours? Not much. But like others have said, if you HAVE to do that, the option is still there. But for people like me I don't have that much time to waste on games so yes a quick warp to places I've already been would save me a lot of time.

Remember wasting time != challenge.

Game, set, match, folks.

For heaven's sake, aka; was the time spent by Wizardry 1 calculating the effects of moves a golden era for you or something? Does slamming WoW as beneath you grant you a +5 to your 1337ness Skill? It's just a damn horse or a damn teleport; you'd think a dude in rockin' plate mail who's got a serious rep from saving a dozen towns from God-knows-what horrors could afford a freaking beast of burden or ask an adept to get him from place to place to keep doing that. Jeez...

Anyways; thanks HSMP for the deep article. I love the cave pics; very realistic designwork on their part to make them look like a natural limestone cavern.

EmSeta

They'd better remove the cliff racers in Oblivion. I've resumed playing Morrowind many times, only to throw down the controller in disgust after running into 10 damn cliff racers in a row.

thats freakin AWESOME..

thanks, its a great thread indeed..

looking forward for this game, I didn't get to finish ESIII, but I really loved it (until I tried one freakin code that ruined the game for me)

i'm gonna buy this at day one.

I might even pre-order it :D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
EmSeta said:
They'd better remove the cliff racers in Oblivion. I've resumed playing Morrowind many times, only to throw down the controller in disgust after running into 10 damn cliff racers in a row.

Cliffracers are indigenous to Vvardenfell, and are not found in Cyrodiil. In other words, there are no cliffracers in Oblivion.

You can also download some handy mods including making the cliff racers go away. I didn't find out about that though until I was practically done with the game though. Anyway, I really don't want to have to buy an XBox 360 as I feel like having three consoles is just a waste of money/time, but damn I want this game after reading this thread. I'm not planning on updating my computer any time soon either (I don't play much PC games anyway and I have a laptop right now) so this looks to be the only choice unless they decide to release it for PS3 as well. Aghhh, it's eating me up already.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Kurashima said:
You can also download some handy mods including making the cliff racers go away. I didn't find out about that though until I was practically done with the game though. Anyway, I really don't want to have to buy an XBox 360 as I feel like having three consoles is just a waste of money/time, but damn I want this game after reading this thread. I'm not planning on updating my computer any time soon either (I don't play much PC games anyway and I have a laptop right now) so this looks to be the only choice unless they decide to release it for PS3 as well. Aghhh, it's eating me up already.

A PS3 version will be released. Its inevitable. To stop it from eating you up inside think of all the money you will save by waiting a few months.

thorns

Banned
Kurashima said:

just get an xbox 360. You won't regret it with all the great games coming out for it.

Ark-AMN

Banned
One of the things I really wanted to ask the executive producer at the show about (but couldn't cause some other guys were holding him up) was about the journal system and how it would be better than Morrowinds.

From what I breifly saw during the demo, it defintely was different. But I wanted to know for sure that there would be a better index of things based on both quests and time instead of just alphabetical order like Morrowind.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Ark-AMN said:
One of the things I really wanted to ask the executive producer at the show about (but couldn't cause some other guys were holding him up) was about the journal system and how it would be better than Morrowinds.

From what I breifly saw during the demo, it defintely was different. But I wanted to know for sure that there would be a better index of things based on both quests and time instead of just alphabetical order like Morrowind.

I would love it if there was a section for each faction you are a member of.

Top Bottom