• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler 2 isn't on more platforms due to an internal decision Square Enix made "after observing the sales of other titles"

Fredrik

Where did he say that though? I don't see it. Maybe I'm being stupid.
Same here then, to me this thread makes no sense, I’m reading the interview and unless it’s a translation error the quote in the OP is 100% fabricated.
The guy was asked why this game is on Playstation and said it made sense when looking at sales on other titles. Somehow GAF/Twitter twist this into how he was asked why it isn’t on Xbox and think he says it made sense when looking at sales on other platforms.

Platform warring is a serious problem for gaming discussions. Can barely talk about anything without warriors twisting and turning everything into something else that fit their stupid agenda. And instead of using this fantastic opportunity to talk with people from the other side of the planet about games we like - we’re here feeding the war beast again as if it actually matters when most of us have access to all platforms anyway.

Three

So with roughly 100 million sales between Xbone and Series consoles Squeenix organically didn't think it was worth putting out a port?
Aleister Crowley Yes GIF by PENNYWORTH
It's not anywhere near 100M even combined (more like 65-70M) and a lot of those are the same individuals buying next gen systems. They are not separate buyers.

StereoVsn

There’s merit to pursuing the Gamepass strategy for games in genres that aren’t popular on your console. Stuff like DQ and Octopath, it makes sense. The idea is to grow the audience for content of that nature, audience that can be expected to purchase future entries in the series. That’s what Square’s supposed to test with a port.

Sega put Yakuza games on Gamepass. Still didn’t stop them from launching Yakuza 7 out of GP on the platform.

Let’s not blame Microsoft for paying for third party games to come to Gamepass. That’s just dumb. As is the claim that games like LiS and Outriders wouldn’t have sold on Xbox without a Gamepass strategy.
Do we know if those games would sell though? I mean even Hogwarts seeemingly didn't do nearly as well on Xbox vs other platforms during it's first couple weeks.

I can't help but think at this juncture that Microsoft cultivated expectation of free games and in addition to that JRPG sales have never been great in the platform. Historically that's not where JRPG audience went. Even with all moneyhats in 360 era.

So between these two items, and MS paying SE for many other GamePass releases, one can see why SE didn't bother with the port at this time.

cireza

Banned
They want money upfront for their games
I think this summarizes Square-Enix perfectly well. They want the money before selling the games, they don't have much confidence in what they release.

Actually, I think that these last years releasing some nice things on Xbox or Switch were a mean for them to show Sony "hey look, we can put our games on these consoles as well". This allowed them to secure that precious Sony money and have several AAA made exclusive.

If MS is not willing to give the money as well (for Game Pass or whatever), they probably won't bother because this is what they are after.

In the end, all these exclusivity deals simply make for a worse experience for players. Games are not available on all platforms. Games don't have to be good. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:
It isn’t on 1 major platforms but all the others…. Sorry that excuse doesn’t fly
It doesn't have to fly for you. It has to fly for their analysts that get paid to figure this stuff out. There is tons of data out there on how much games like this sell on various platforms. They likely have a very good idea. And it isn't enough to warrant the port. It's that simple.

They put the first game on GamePass. Both Microsoft and SquareEnix have the data of the amount of GP players playing it. It wasn't high enough for MS to offer SE a similar deal for the sequel. It wasn't high enough for SE for it to make financial sense to port it outside of that.

This is hardly the first JRPG to be on everything except Xbox. It's actually very common. These companies have a lot of data to explain why this is the case. People that play these games, just don't do so very often on Xbox for whatever reason.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to fly for you. It has to fly for their analysts that get paid to figure this stuff out. There is tons of data out there on how much games like this sell on various platforms. They likely have a very good idea. And it isn't enough to warrant the port. It's that simple.

They put the first game on GamePass. Both Microsoft and SquareEnix have the data of the amount of GP players playing it. It wasn't high enough for MS to offer SE a similar deal for the sequel. It wasn't high enough for SE for it to make financial sense to port it outside of that.

This is hardly the first JRPG to be on everything except Xbox. It's actually very common. These companies have a lot of data to explain why this is the case. People that play these games, just don't do so very often on Xbox for whatever reason.
Eh, I don't buy that excuse either. It wouldn't cost SE anywhere near what they'd make by putting say, FFPR on Xbox. Something else is likely going on between MS and SE.

Eh, I don't buy that excuse either. It wouldn't cost SE anywhere near what they'd make by putting say, FFPR on Xbox. Something else is likely going on between MS and SE.
You not buying it might be related to you not realizing Xbox comes third in the console race. And that the weakened position means they have overall less to offer to third parties. MS is willing to offer money, it just wasn't enough money to offset the effort required and the lower returns.

Corndog

Banned
You not buying it might be related to you not realizing Xbox comes third in the console race. And that the weakened position means they have overall less to offer to third parties. MS is willing to offer money, it just wasn't enough money to offset the effort required and the lower returns.
Source?

EDMIX

70 million potential sales Squeenix is just writing off
Not really.

They had a chance to buy those games when they were appearing on those platforms, we already have an answer to how many of that base actually cares about JRPGs
Hard to buy a game on Xbox if it’s not on Xbox.

What about the ones that were on XB though? I mean the first game literally is on XB, so they likely are going based on its low sales on XB, so I don't get this whole argument of pretending it not being there is the REAL issue.

When it was there, it didn't sell much units. They continued to bring new games, they continued to port, people continued to not buy the games in high numbers...they left.

Nothing about this whole "hard to buy" or "writing off" nonsense. A chance was given, the install base had literally generations to buy said content and it appears that Square is moving on as they have no ode to keep trying to put games on a platform that doesn't buy em to the same degree as other platforms.

Its not free to make those games and I'd argue Square has went out of their way to support that platform more then most tbh. They tried, they got their answer in terms if there is a relevant base to buy those games and they've moved on. They might only be willing to have ports happen that they don't pay for, as in let MS pay for the ports as they sound like they want them more then Square wants to keep wasting money waiting for 70 million to like JRPGs lol

That being said, I don't doubt those that love JRPGs who own a XB, merely that the majority who love that genre own PS, Nintendo's etc How many of the most hardcore JRPG fans do you really know how waited fucking decades to play FF titles? Generations to play Persona? Generations to play DQ or Kingdom Hearts? I don't now about all that now buds, as the most hardcore in the genre own the originals and don't wait 15 years to play a game they can play today or some weird shit.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Not really.

They had a chance to buy those games when they were appearing on those platforms, we already have an answer to how many of that base actually cares about JRPGs

What about the ones that were on XB though? I mean the first game literally is on XB, so they likely are going based on its low sales on XB, so I don't get this whole argument of pretending it not being there is the REAL issue.

When it was there, it didn't sell much units. They continued to bring new games, they continued to port, people continued to not buy the games in high numbers...they left.

Nothing about this whole "hard to buy" or "writing off" nonsense. A chance was given, the install base had literally generations to buy said content and it appears that Square is moving on as they have no ode to keep trying to put games on a platform that doesn't buy em to the same degree as other platforms.

Its not free to make those games and I'd argue Square has went out of their way to support that platform more then most tbh. They tried, they got their answer in terms if there is a relevant base to buy those games and they've moved on. They might only be willing to have ports happen that they don't pay for, as in let MS pay for the ports as they sound like they want them more then Square wants to keep wasting money waiting for 70 million to like JRPGs lol

That being said, I don't doubt those that love JRPGs who own a XB, merely that the majority who love that genre own PS, Nintendo's etc How many of the most hardcore JRPG fans do you really know how waited fucking decades to play FF titles? Generations to play Persona? Generations to play DQ or Kingdom Hearts? I don't now about all that now buds, as the most hardcore in the genre own the originals and don't wait 15 years to play a game they can play today or some weird shit.
When did it get on Xbox? How many years later?

Woopah

Square is lying through their teeth.

They want money upfront for their games, and they’re trying to cultivate an atmosphere where unless you pay them upfront - your system’s not guaranteed a port.

Sony didn’t offer Square money for Octopath so it didn’t appear on PlayStation.
This time they decided to “challenge” themselves by porting their bleeding edge pixel sequel to include PlayStation but not Xbox, because they want Microsoft to offer money for it.

Square knows they can’t play Nintendo and PC like that, so they don’t bother trying.
I'd include Nintendo. They've been doing deals with SE for games for years now.
Huh…maybe if they would have put the game out on a console platform that had an audience for the first one, it would have done better?

When SquEnix puts a game out on GamePass that was popular and generated them revenue, but then cites lack of sales for the first one and doesn’t port the second, SquEnix are the problem, not Xbox gamers or the platform.

Octopath Traveler did make waves on GamePass and was definitely a top game for a while. That’s a ready-made audience for the second one…but then you don’t release the game on the next-Gen platform you built an audience with…either someone is a f*****g moron at SquEnix or one of their shareholders *cough*Sony*cough* paid money for SquEnix to not release it.
When Sony pays, they pay for exclusivity. I doubt they would pay for a game to not come to Xbox but still come to Switch

EDMIX

When did it get on Xbox? How many years later?

None of that matters.

The ones that release day and date still sold less units.

The excuse of it not being there, when its there it sells less.
The excuse of it not being there DAY AND DATE, when it does...its sells less.
The excuse that they need their OWN exclusive JRPGs, when they got those, they sold poorly.

I don't know what to say anymore about this fucking shit man. Final Fantasy is the grand daddy of all JRPGs, if that is moving low units, you have a massive problem. After that the goal post continued to move.

Oh if Dragon Quest came over, that is the REAL shot in the arm they need. DQ releases on XB, sells poorly.
Oh if Kingdom Hearts came over and not just ports, but BRAND NEW DAY AND DATE, THAT would settle things...(proceeds to sell poorly)

So i don't believe this is a situation of day and date or the right IP needs to come along or they need their own for the install base to buy em or anything odd like that, all those scenarios have already played out.

Its why I don't even get this argument. You got an answer to all of that already by generations of those games performing lessor. From big to small JRPG, from ports, to remasters, to day and dates, to multiplatform releases to exclusive JRPGs by the father of FF himself. MS tried really hard, Square tried really hard.

It didn't work out. Thats it. Some times its really that simple.

nial

Gold Member
We dont know for sure but I personally think Sony only made deal to get FFXVI but other games like Octopath 2, SE just wasn't happy with sales number on Xbox.
Just like how Sony did a deal for FFVII Remake, Nintendo for Octopath Traveler and Microsoft for Rise of the Tomb Raider. What do all of those have in common? That they were only released on ONE console at launch. To say that Octopath Traveler 2 not appearing on Xbox is due to a hypothetical deal with Sony to exclude a specific platform that has a non-existent install base in Japan is laughable. But if that's true, why even stop at OT2 (a sequel to a game that never came out on PS, btw)? Why not make the same kind of deal with stuff like Crisis Core, Chrono Cross, Strangers of Paradise, Star Ocean 6, Diofield Chronicle, etc? Your point (bolded) is perfectly correct, nothing to argue about when using common sense.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just like how Sony did a deal for FFVII Remake, Nintendo for Octopath Traveler and Microsoft for Rise of the Tomb Raider. What do all of those have in common? That they were only released on ONE console at launch. To say that Octopath Traveler 2 not appearing on Xbox is due to a hypothetical deal with Sony to exclude a specific platform that has a non-existent install base in Japan is laughable. But if that's true, why even stop at OT2 (a sequel to a game that never came out on PS, btw)? Why not make the same kind of deal with stuff like Crisis Core, Chrono Cross, Strangers of Paradise, Star Ocean 6, Diofield Chronicle, etc? Your point (bolded) is perfectly correct, nothing to argue about when using common sense.
There is just no point for Sony pay in order keep it out of Xbox, with Octopath 2 release their biggest competition would be Switch not Xbox and as much as I LOVE Octopath 2, the game is niche, I dont see Sony willing pay money to have exclusive deal for Octopath 2.

Top Bottom