• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler II |OT| Can't We Talk This Over Like Normal Adults?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
SQMZtzo.gif

Summary
In the world of Solistia, eight new travelers venture forth into an exciting new era. Where will you go? What will you do? Whose tale will you bring to life? Every path is yours to take. Embark on an adventure all your own.

Travelers
FupNw5b.png

You are the younger prince of Ku, a nation ever at war, and worry for your people who have suffered greatly from the ceaseless battles.

Hoping to bring peace to your nation, you strike out on a journey for your like-minded allies...

dyUlgya.png

Though a tavern dancer in a small village, you have big dreams for the future.

With hope in your heart and a spring in your step, you begin your journey to stardom...

tzAxgzA.png

After witnessing the rise and fall of the pioneer town you call home, you set your gaze upon the horizon.

With dreams of bringing prosperity to all, you embark on a journey with only the scent of commerce to guide you...

ouI1aZf.png

You have been sentenced to life in prison for murdering your wife and daughter, and have since spent 1,879 days locked within a frigid cell.

Not even the bitter cold can extinguish the raging fire in your breast. And so you set out to exact your revenge...

MJaw6B5.png

Though easygoing in your duties as Inquisitor, that all changes the day a tragic incident takes place in the church.

Sensing that there is much more to the incident than meets the eye, you set out to solve the mystery left in its wake...

7nrSD58.png

You are a member of the Blacksnakes, a thieves guild that controls the city from the shadows. Your job is to steal...and clean.

Determined to escape the cycle of bloodshed, you embark on a journey for the keys to your freedom...

7ayOQ1W.png

Despite your troubles with the human islanders, you live a carefree life. That is, until you learn of an encroaching calamity known as the Night of the Scarlet Moon.

Desperate to save your home, you set sail in search of those who can help...

Oumsu7M.png

Discovered adrift at sea, you awoke to the realization that you could not recall your own name. The only clues to your identity are your satchel and skills as an apothecary.

Unable to ignore the nagging feeling within you, you embark on a journey to recover what you lost...

Release Info
Release Date: Feb 24th, 2023
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4/5

Editions
Standard Edition (Physical and Digital) - $59.99
ot2-agnostic-packshot-j03olj2ws-6hADPrXTZ.jpg

Includes game and Pre-order Bonus "Travelers Provisions" (In-game items to help you start your journey)

Collector's Edition (Physical Only) - $179.99
deluxe-packshot-mXJR25d5J.png

Includes game, art album, bust set, and "Extended Battle Tracks" CD.

Trailer

Screenshots
ot2_202209_pub01_ss009-eusCNdyn-.jpg

ot2-2022-08-19-20-29-59-083-zy7tlgbpn-pYiCrz1YE.jpg

ot2-2022-08-19-21-16-48-410-_7d20d699-lpl8FZ65F.jpg

ot2_202211_pub02_ss037-JaHX54R87.jpg

Reviews
oC1H0sq.png

EL94Cf4.png

Purchase

Demo
A demo for the game is available, and your progress in the demo can carry over into the full game. Use the purchase links above to find the demo for the platform of your choice.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The entire unique draw of this series was that each potential party member could essentially be the main character you start as.

The issue with the first game is that this is never really used because none of the cast interact... from the sound of it outside of a few scripted segments between two party members at a time, its the exact same.

I mean I know how incredibly complex it would be to change the story around depending on which party members you have and are playing, but then the question has to be asked, why even do it this way if your not going to try? Your essentially writing out any interesting inter party dynamics, which you really do feel is missing.

Last edited:
I wish these guys would try and make a regular RPG with a real party. The whole 8 different stories with little interaction between the characters is just hard for me to really deal with.
Why? It's actually infinitely easier to deal with. This is a JRPG that accommodates people that have trouble finishing JRPGs since it's all broken up into smaller episodes. Who cares if they interact? It's 8 short stories.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Oh. I thought I heard that they "fixed" the disconnected feeling of your party from the first, but the reviews say it's just a better version of the first. That. . .is a bummer.

I'll certainly check it out eventually, just not at this "AAA" price SE seemingly insists on pricing their "AA" content at.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh. I thought I heard that they "fixed" the disconnected feeling of your party from the first
Their response to everyone's feedback that the party felt disconnected from each other in the first game (besides a few optional dialogs you could hear at the bar) was to create story arcs that combined two characters. In the first game, you might enter a town which would kick off one of the character's individual story arcs. This one is like that, except some arcs will contain two characters - who will then supposedly interact with each other like a traditional party-based RPG.

While I appreciate the effort that goes into that, and do acknowledge that it will flesh out the party's story / bonds quite a bit over the first game, I still feel like it's going to fall flat of most people's expectations. Hence the thread title: "Can't we just talk this over like normal adults?", because similar to the first game major story points will be happening to individual characters and the rest of the members of the party will basically pretend like they're not present.

kondorBonk

The story worked fine in the first for me. It was 8 separate stories but that was fine. It just wasn't a massive epic, just taking some things you gained from the previous story to the next. I think narratively that can be explored more but it worked for what it was.

The part that did annoy me was the formulaic progression in each story. Its been a while but each did have the identical beat. Go to village, leave village, find item, fight boss. (Or something close to this). The only unique one being the swordsman who got a small tournament chapter. If they can just break up that formula a bit I'd be happy.

Kazdane

Very much looking forward to this one. I enjoyed the first, but I share the sentiment that it's a bit of a disappointment that you only find how the eight travelers were connected through an optional dungeon only available after completing all their stories (and finishing with a superboss, no less), but still, it was a good game. I liked most of the stories in the first (Therion, Primrose and Olberic were probably the ones I liked the most), so I'm hoping the second continues that trend. From their descriptions. Throné, Castti, Osvald and Hikari are intriguing enough (to me, of course).

Octopath travelers, I have two questions:

1) I finished the demo for Osvald. Can I play the first 2 chapter for the other characters? I'm confused since there seems to be only one save file.

2) The boss in Osvald's story was surprisingly hard. I beat him by the skin of my teeth. Is there any way to make fights easier? How is grinding in this game?

Labadal

Then you were grinding unconsciously. Type octopath traveler and grind in google, that game is a well known grindfest.
I did the same as Danjin44 Danjin44 no grinding.

But it depends what the definition of grinding is.

I moved from point A to B, and did stuff. I never had to gain extra levels or skills for quests/bosses other than the last secret dungeon.

I think Octopath Traveler II won't be much different in that regard.

Last edited:
I did the same as Danjin44 Danjin44 no grinding.

But it depends what the definition of grinding is.

I moved from point A to B, and did stuff. I never had to gain extra levels or skills for quests/bosses other than the last secret dungeon.

I think Octopath Traveler II won't be much different in that regard.
Hopefully, I'll wait and see. There was ways to avoid some grinding like gear with stealing from ennemies, gear is more important but the grinding was there and very real.

Most of the boss fights in original game I was underleveled and still had no issue beating them, the game gives you enough tools beat them without grinding.
Sure, guess all these reviews mentionning it, the infinite threads about it etc.. were just false.

But I still remember it very much, good for you though, I'm waiting for reviews and experience from people playing the 2nd one to be sure this isnt a repeat.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure, guess all these reviews mentionning it, the infinite threads about it etc.. were just false.

But I still remember it very much, good for you though, I'm waiting for reviews and experience from people playing the 2nd one to be sure this isnt a repeat.
Reviews also mentioned about SMT5 being grindy but I beat that game on hard without grinding, in fact in that game I would skip some fights.

Most reviewers dont want hit any wall so they grind in order power through it.

Exentryk

Reviewers are casual players that can barely play games, mostly. So you can either take their word or try the demo and see what you can do with strategy.

In the previous game a level 10 with good gear could do comparable damage to a level 30. It's the same in this game. I just cleaned out the level 48 dungeon with a level 20 party. See video below which show how to capture the max strength monster from a level 48 dungeon at low levels.

In these games, your strategy and gear matter more.

Octopath Traveler 2: Capturing Light Revenant (10* Monster)

Reviewers are casual players that can barely play games, mostly. So you can either take their word or try the demo and see what you can do with strategy.

In the previous game a level 10 with good gear could do comparable damage to a level 30. It's the same in this game. I just cleaned out the level 48 dungeon with a level 20 party. See video below which show how to capture the max strength monster from a level 48 dungeon at low levels.

In these games, your strategy and gear matter more.

Octopath Traveler 2: Capturing Light Revenant (10* Monster)

Yeah like I've mentioned, stealing gear was an option but to say there was absolutely no grinding involved, I don't agree with.

Once I'm done with Hogwarts I'll try the demo and by then a lot of people should of played it, I'll have their feedback by then

Raphael

Is it still random encounters? I absolutely hate them. So annoying. I dont understand why many jrpgs cant seem to leave those behind.

My main issue with Octopath 1 was the nonexistent story. Is that fixed in the sequel?
You mean overlapping story? I thought most of the 8 stories were good.

There was an overlapping plot in the optional post-game. I don't remember it much, as I was too busy cursing the end boss for being absurdly difficult in comparison to the rest of the game.

jshackles

Just played the first hour of the demo, going with Particio as my main character (did Tressa in Octopath 1 on my first play through). I love the merchant class in these games. Mechanically this is extremely similar to the first game, though a few good QoL improvements (like speed change for dialog and battle) will be worthwhile additions.

Really looking forward to diving into this game fully.

Exentryk

Is it still random encounters? I absolutely hate them. So annoying. I dont understand why many jrpgs cant seem to leave those behind.
Yes, still random encounters. There is an ability to reduce encounters. But if they are a deal breaker, then best to avoid this game.

I'm not a fan of them either, but it's not so bad here. You do have options on pc version to turn off encounters via mods if you want.

Gandih42

Will definitely play this at some point. I loved the first one, although I would've liked more overlap between the characters and their stories. The post-game did tie it together pretty well though. So whether or not they improved much on that, I'm pretty confident this will be a blast.

Now I just gotta figure out if I should pre-order for the Steelbook or not ... hrm hrm hrm..

Pejo

Great OP jshackles jshackles !

I have 3 hopes for this game:
  • The characters interact with each other more often and more naturally
  • The OST is still a banger
  • The game isn't afraid to explore darker stories like Primrose's from the first game.
I don't think this game markets well to zoomers anyways with the pixel graphics and turn based combat, so hopefully they aren't scared to get into some shit.

I actually am going to miss H'aanit's weird speaking patterns. It grew on me after a while. Can't wait to see what new stuff is in store, I've remained almost entirely spoiler free about the game. Out of all the characters, based just off of appearances, the only ones I really like (with no context) are Hikari and Throne.

Some of my favorites from the original OST to get me in the mood:

*edit*

Best price I've found so far is GMG, anyone see better than 20% off?

Last edited:
Top Bottom