• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler Is Case Where Game Seems Great But Graphics Throw Me Off

Everything I've read about this game I heard about or watched on YouTube has this game sounding really good and I just love Japanese role playing games regardless.

But the graphics really, really bother me in a way that even if graphics were bad they normally wouldn't.

It has this almost Minecraft or toy-like or pixelated feel. I understand there's an intention here to do that but with the 2D traditional graphics of the characters and the background graphics looking like some kind of Minecraft toy, it's hard for me to get into it.

Everything else so from the gameplay to the story is right up my alley so it's one of those weird dilemmas. It's a good game marked by graphics not personally don't appeal to me but I'm wondering if I should eventually give in and just play it?

Do you bang ugly chicks?
I have. I regretted it not because she's ugly but because she was a real 'c u next Tuesday' type of girl.

There are other ugly games I have that I really like a lot. It's not that Octopath Traveler is ugly but it's the arr style that just throws me off.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have. I regretted it not because she's ugly but because she was a real 'c u next Tuesday' type of girl.

There are other ugly games I have that I really like a lot. It's not that Octopath Traveler is ugly but it's the arr style that just throws me off.
to help a fellow gaf member out
i have seen 16 year old girl insta accounts with less filter fuckery thrown on them compared to this game.

to help a fellow gaf member out
i have seen 16 year old girl insta accounts with less filter fuckery thrown on them compared to this game.
Yeah not just the Minecraft toy look but also that weird blurring effect as well.

I know it sounds like I'm taking a big shit on this game but I'm not because everything else looks really good. It's a game that if it had even some decent 16-bit or 32-bit graphics that looks more normal would make this game incredible.

It's too bad they had to go the artsy fartsy route.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah not just the Minecraft toy look but also that weird blurring effect as well.

I know it sounds like I'm taking a big shit on this game but I'm not because everything else looks really good. It's a game that if it had even some decent 16-bit or 32-bit graphics that looks more normal would make this game incredible.

It's too bad they had to go the artsy fartsy route.
filters mask the insecurity of the designers

ungalo

The game is not great, it's just nice, you're not missing something huge. Don't get the comparison with Minecraft though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Octopath characters giving a fuck

otcotc-paula.jpg

otcotc-meena.jpg

But seriously if the graphics bother you that much dont force yourself.
Games are supposed to be a hobby that you enjoy, forcing yourself to suffer through an eyesore (to you) isnt worth it.
Youll just end up wasting your time and making a thread on NeoGAF in a few days saying "Octopath Traveller is shit" and youll get a bunch of people riled up.

I too thought I would hate the tilt shift effect, but not long after I started playing the game, i actually even forgot the tiltshift was there.
If you are playing on PC you can disable the Tilt Shift and the Bloom effects, but the game will still be pixel art either which way.
If you arent into Pixel art and it bothers you much, theres pretty much no getting away from that, you could probably find a texture swap that de-pixels the everything, but I dont know how worth it that would be.

PhaseJump

Banned
I don't mind it. I just dislike the fact that it feels like a derivative B-team effort being sold as a premium one. It's a step up from the Chrono Trigger clone bullshit they crapped out via Tokyo RPG Factory. Setsuna, Lost Sphere, Oninaki, but it's still got that "not really good enough to be Final Fantasy" vibe about it, like that other Bravely Default shit.

Octopath is installed on my Steam Deck, and I would go between that and the indie game Crystal Project, which I totally feel better about playing as far as being a retro style throwback.

Robb

Gold Member
Interesting, I’m the exact opposite. The visuals are the highlight and the only reason I’d play it. The rest doesn’t interest me as I’m not big on JRPG’s.

Everything I've read about this game I heard about or watched on YouTube has this game sounding really good and I just love Japanese role playing games regardless.

But the graphics really, really bother me in a way that even if graphics were bad they normally wouldn't.

It has this almost Minecraft or toy-like or pixelated feel. I understand there's an intention here to do that but with the 2D traditional graphics of the characters and the background graphics looking like some kind of Minecraft toy, it's hard for me to get into it.

Everything else so from the gameplay to the story is right up my alley so it's one of those weird dilemmas. It's a good game marked by graphics not personally don't appeal to me but I'm wondering if I should eventually give in and just play it?
Octopath actually gave me a headache playing it which sucks because I was enjoying it. I think it was the annoying amount of chromatic aberration but it's been awhile since I played it so I don't remember.

Black_Stride

Octopath actually gave me a headache playing it which sucks because I was enjoying it. I think it was the annoying amount of chromatic aberration but it's been awhile since I played it so I don't remember.
Theres no Chromatic Aberration in Octopath Traveler.

You are probably thinking about the Tilt Shift/Depth of field effect.

Octopath-II-Play_09-17-22.jpg

screenshot-2022-09-13-151453-1663078502463.png

If you are playing on PC set the resolution super high so the depth of field effect is higher quality.
If it still bothers you, just turn it off.

Theres no Chromatic Aberration in Octopath Traveler.

You are probably thinking about the Tilt Shift/Depth of field effect.

Octopath-II-Play_09-17-22.jpg

screenshot-2022-09-13-151453-1663078502463.png

If you are playing on PC set the resolution super high so the depth of field effect is higher quality.
If it still bothers you, just turn it off.
Yep, that's it. I assumed it was CA because that's the main thing to give me a killer headache in games but it had been so long.

I played it on Switch when it first came out so I didn't have any options. I don't see myself going back to it on another platform.

bender

What time is it?
I need to finally play this as the opinions on it are usually either really hot or really cold.

Black_Stride

Yep, that's it. I assumed it was CA because that's the main thing to give me a killer headache in games but it had been so long.

I played it on Switch when it first came out so I didn't have any options. I don't see myself going back to it on another platform.
Handheld or on screen.
In handheld mode is actually when the Tilt Shift effect is least offensive and why on PC with bigger screens you really need to up the resolution.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't understand why the graphics are so low quality, the characters with the same repetitive movements and such low quality. FFXI looks so much better, IMO, and it's a significantly older game.

Pimpbaa

The game is near fucking perfection, except for the 720p resolution. Their use of 16-bit like assets within a modern game engine was magical. And the soundtrack moved me to manly tears. I didn’t like a jrpg as much since FF6. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Lasha

Tilt shift is an acquired taste. The art drew me to the game. It's gameplay turned me off. Try the demo if your have a switch to see if you can get past the art.

I found the amount to fiddle with when it came to town NPCs just to be out of hand. Some sort of mind reading or influence system? I forget. I am mainly interested in the genre to read a story and fuck up cool, imaginative enemies.

Dont make me engage with town mechanics or the fate of the world might change. Just let me blow through. So dumb.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have zero issue with visual, in fact I’m fan this visual style in both this game and Triangle Strategy.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
If the artstyle alone is enough throw you off, why do you keep looking for the game mechanics and narrative anyway? Why not move on with your life?

If the artstyle alone is enough throw you off, why do you keep looking for the game mechanics and narrative anyway? Why not move on with your life?
Because the game still might be good enough and worthy of my attention and even purchase. I'm willing to sometimes ignore some of the more negative aspects if it means I get more positive ones.

It's called opening one's mind and shit.

Rykan

I like the environments in the game, especially the 2nd one. I'm just not a fan of the sprites. They look too much like SNES sprites and lack detail.

While I haven't completely changed my mind about the graphics, I sort of change my mind about the game and I think it does look overall incredible. Everything about this game I really like.

Plus I watched a trailer of the second game and the second one actually even looks better even though it uses similar graphics.

I also like it's sort of a steampunk or old west setting it seems they're going for in the new Octopath Traveler game.

Wow, that looks really very cool and interesting. I am so very happy to see Japanese role playing games making a big comeback and looking really good.

I'm even very happy for more non-traditional Japanese games like Elden Ring. I'm glad Western games are once again being challenged especially since I'm getting very annoyed with them. Very good Japan. I am very happy with you.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I am in the same boat.

I actually played it for 20h at release. Got quickly tired by the art style despite being really enthusiastic for it at first.

Game has other problem (like forcing you to recruit everyone and by so following a define path. And this party of 8 don't really interact with each other).

Combat system is amazing. Some of the story sounded promising. Some other not really.

Might give it another chance one day

I had a change of heart and got the game. Everything about the game looks good even though I don't like the graphics that much.

I did see a trailer for the second game and it looks better graphics-wise. So I could probably get used to it.

I love Japanese role playing games so it's just too good to pass up.

Edit: looks like I already mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. Sorry, I'm having a terrible time in my life right now and my head is not exactly in the right place.

Last edited:
I'll ask for forgiveness upfront, but I have to ask: Did you grow up playing the bit games? I did, and that is the target audience.

I keep seeing comments about "muddy walls" and the like from younger gamers who simply can't get that nostalgic feelings this style is meant to inspire.

I'll ask for forgiveness upfront, but I have to ask: Did you grow up playing the bit games? I did, and that is the target audience.

I keep seeing comments about "muddy walls" and the like from younger gamers who simply can't get that nostalgic feelings this style is meant to inspire.
My first console was a Magnavox Odyssey 2 and after that I grew up with Atari 2600 and NES.

So I'm extremely nostalgic but the graphics just look weird. It's like a mixture of 2D graphics and Minecraft. But regardless I can overlook it somewhat because the game overall seems very good.

Edit: we need a Magnavox Odyssey 2 thread.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

I hate the visual direction of that game too, the reason I'll probably will never get into it actually... It has so many post processing effects that it looks horrible to me, but to damn horrible...

Top Bottom