• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus not having crossbuy between their own devices seems insane

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Wanna buy Beat Saber on their desktop app for better fidelity but also use it wirelessly on Quest? Get fucked.
Wanna play RE4 VR on an Oculus Rift S? Get fucked.

I really like the Quest 2 but making me choose between native Quest apps and launching through the PC store for better graphics makes no sense to me. They don't even offer a discount if you own either version. Anecdotally seems like the Quest 2 is getting really popular. People I work with who don't play games at all are buying them. Wish they would streamline their stuff a little more. I understand the publishers probably view these as 2 different products but even games they own like Beat Saber are doing this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For Beat Saber the justification was that it took a lot of work to port the game to that. With other games it does work as you say. Just like on console it's up the the developer/publisher if buying one version should also get you the other.

Keihart

For Beat Saber the justification was that it took a lot of work to port the game to that. With other games it does work as you say. Just like on console it's up the the developer/publisher if buying one version should also get you the other.
Your are right...on the other hand, poor indie devs gotta eat, it's not like Beatsaber is the most sold VR game or anything.

I applaud the men who are paying to beta test this exciting new technology for me. I’ll check back in a year or two. Hope y’all get the bugs worked out. Both in terms of tech and economics.

GHG

Just buy it on Steam and then you can play via link, either wired or wirelessly. Problem solved.

The native quest version is the worst version of beat saber and the mod support isn't great at all.

jakinov

Wanna buy Beat Saber on their desktop app for better fidelity but also use it wirelessly on Quest? Get fucked.
Wanna play RE4 VR on an Oculus Rift S? Get fucked.

I really like the Quest 2 but making me choose between native Quest apps and launching through the PC store for better graphics makes no sense to me. They don't even offer a discount if you own either version. Anecdotally seems like the Quest 2 is getting really popular. People I work with who don't play games at all are buying them. Wish they would streamline their stuff a little more. I understand the publishers probably view these as 2 different products but even games they own like Beat Saber are doing this.
Cross-buy is supported on the Oculus platform. Developers/publishersfor the games you mentioned just don't care to offer it. Pretty much just like the other stores. I don't get Horizon, God of War, etc. on PC becasue I have it on PS4. There are games on bothWindows Store and on Xbox Store that aren't cross-buy (Xbox play anywhere). It's not oculus problem, it's developers want you to buy the game more than once or they never retroactively opted into it.

List of all Occulus Cross-Buy Games

Not to mention how quickly the Rift S and Quest 1 became obsolete. They both got, what, less than a year before exclusives started appearing on the new platform? Fuck Facebook.
Because people werne't buying headsets. And developers didn't want to support old hardware with no install base. Just like game consoles and other devices, you have to create multiple copies of your game if you want it available in multiple places. Unless Facebook threw money at developers to support the old platforms what do you expect them to do? Not expand into the standalone VR sapce pushing VR forward altogether?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Just buy it on Steam and then you can play via link, either wired or wirelessly. Problem solved.

The native quest version is the worst version of beat saber and the mod support isn't great at all.

How is the wireless streaming from Steam? I have a decent router but it’s like 4 years old.

Cross-buy is supported on the Oculus platform. Developers/publishersfor the games you mentioned just don't care to offer it. Pretty much just like the other stores. I don't get Horizon, God of War, etc. on PC becasue I have it on PS4. There are games on bothWindows Store and on Xbox Store that aren't cross-buy (Xbox play anywhere). It's not oculus problem, it's developers want you to buy the game more than once or they never retroactively opted into it.

List of all Occulus Cross-Buy Games

Because people werne't buying headsets. And developers didn't want to support old hardware with no install base. Just like game consoles and other devices, you have to create multiple copies of your game if you want it available in multiple places. Unless Facebook threw money at developers to support the old platforms what do you expect them to do? Not expand into the standalone VR sapce pushing VR forward altogether?

You really think an 8 month life cycle is okay for a $400 device? lol. Either way, I don’t care, I sold my Rift S at market value and got an Index and won’t ever buy another thing from Facebook again.

GHG

How is the wireless streaming from Steam? I have a decent router but it’s like 4 years old.

It's largely dependant on the quality of your router. You need around 100-150 Mbps sustained to have a good experience.

First port of call should be to cut out the router all together by enabling the WiFi hot-spot on your PC. See what the experience is like using that method then go from there.

Goalus

Not to mention how quickly the Rift S and Quest 1 became obsolete. They both got, what, less than a year before exclusives started appearing on the new platform? Fuck Facebook.
I don't blame them for that.
It's the fate of any early adopter, and since we're still in the early stages of VR technology, anything else would surprise me.

I don't blame them for that.
It's the fate of any early adopter, and since we're still in the early stages of VR technology, anything else would surprise me.

Yet somehow I've had my Index for two years and not a single VR game on Steam is excluded from me.

Of all the corporations out there you've chosen Facebook's boot to lick. Good lord.

OrtizTwelve

Are these devices selling well? I see them heavily promoted all the time at Best Buy but I’m not too familIar with how popular they are.

Reallink

Oculus is done with the PC, their future games won't even have PC versions (a la RE4). I fully expect they'll shutdown the Oculus PC App and store entirely within a couple years. Doesn't seem Valve has much interest in it either these days, and the majority of indies have moved to Quest cause it sells 10-20x the volume of software. The PC "Gamer" neckbeards, gripping their 20 button mice, face rolling their cherry keyboards, and hunched over their 480Hz 20" monitors have done what they always do, soundly rejected change and genuine advancement of the medium. Quest is wildly popular cause it has found a Wii style blue ocean audience.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Are these devices selling well? I see them heavily promoted all the time at Best Buy but I’m not too familIar with how popular they are.
Its the most selling VR headsets I believe. Even devs are overjoy right now

also there is crossbuy feature. So OP is factually wrong

Last edited:

jakinov

You really think an 8 month life cycle is okay for a $400 device? lol. Either way, I don’t care, I sold my Rift S at market value and got an Index and won’t ever buy another thing from Facebook again.
As someone who buys it that sucks but what do you want them to do? Pay millions of dollars incentives or force developers to support both. It’s easier for developer to develop for standalone oculus, in then cheaper and there far more reach because more people bought.

it’s just the downside of adopting super early tech that hasn’t proven itself yet.

Notabueno

Banned
Facebook is the worst thing that could have happened to VR. When it was Palmer Luckey, John Carmack, Todd Sweeney and Nate Mitchell...holly shit the dream team.

The founders left, and more and more it seems that Epic is distancing itself from Facebook (everybody hates those evil zuckerbots).

Unfortunately from a marketing and even product point of view, there's no competition for the moment:
Valve have always been greasy losers that are mediocre at design, ergonomic and marketing. Samsung, Xiaomi, Microsoft and most importantly and stupidly, Google, abandoned their effort to position themselves on the VR market because they don't believe it'll be here until a decade out (well they're right). Only Sony is trying to reiterate the PSVR success, which given the current leaks, PS5 situation and rumors they probably won't. The rest are just secondary experimental models like Varjo, Pimax, HP etc...And Apple is basically doing a MagicLeap, releasing a fake, useless product as a degenerate collectors item people won't actually use.

Top Bottom